2021 MLS thread

Jive Turkey

18 year-old Ricardo Pepi with a Pepsi endorsement. 

344101582_ScreenShot2021-08-06at12_58_36PM.thumb.png.edaf8fbbebe2c2308afb3b2955d7edd5.png

https://www.fcdallas.com/video/ricardo-pepsi-addresses-the-media#ricardo-pepsi-addresses-the-media

Not putting it in USMNT thread of transfers thread, because it's a little early for either (though I still think that he plays for El Tri).

I wonder if Frito-Lay being headquartered in Plano and it being a PepsiCo brand had anything to do with this.

Spoiler

I think that it does.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

18 year-old Ricardo Pepi with a Pepsi endorsement. 

344101582_ScreenShot2021-08-06at12_58_36PM.thumb.png.edaf8fbbebe2c2308afb3b2955d7edd5.png

https://www.fcdallas.com/video/ricardo-pepsi-addresses-the-media#ricardo-pepsi-addresses-the-media

Not putting it in USMNT thread of transfers thread, because it's a little early for either (though I still think that he plays for El Tri).

I wonder if Frito-Lay being headquartered in Plano and it being a PepsiCo brand had anything to do with this.

Reveal hidden contents

I think that it does.

a2e70700-1dc0-4578-a84c-9a81be644138_scr

• Hook 'Em 1

Vamos, dale, che, Pepi!

The difference between the quality of tonight’s game between Dallas and Austin and the typical MLS match 20 years ago is insane. 

Both teams look to be composed of players who were selected from good athletes who grew up only playing soccer vs a pub league of middle-aged guys who used to be good at other sports in high school, but have now found themselves playing soccer because they can run off-and-on for 60 minutes. 

Philly's #6 just turned like a bitch to avoid getting hit by the soccer ball vs Club America and the ball glances off his back and goes to the side that the keeper was going away from to stop the shot.

So gooooooooooooool Club America.

Turning your back on a ball is a bitch move. Cover your heart and your junk and attack the ball.

FS1 CONCACAF Champions League Semifinal (1st match from Azteca).

• 2 weeks later...

Fairly certain that with Versace 6 feet under (for 24 years), someone had to take his place.

I'm almost positive that this is David Beckham. I snagged it from a post goal celebration on MLSsoccer.com's highlight reel from tonight's Miami drubbing of Toronto. If this is Beckham, he's definitely looked better. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 3.26.27 AM.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

So Wondo retired.

Is being the MLS all time leading scorer kind of like being the minor league baseball hits leader?

He scored in his last match.

#Legend

RELEGATION THOUGHTS:

If each conference (“division”?… East & West) had Relegation/Promotion, then all three Texas teams would drop to MLS2 for next year.

Texas is the G-League of American soccer.

• 3 weeks later...

The MLS as a competition sucks.  The regular season isn't meaningful without relegation and with the current playoff structure.  The playoffs are way too random with the one leg knockout structure.  The goal should ultimately be to create a MLS 1 and 2 with promotion and relegation between the leagues and a league champion determined based on regular season results.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The MLS is a garbage crap shoot.

In the West you've lost the top 3 seeds and the conference finals are between teams 4 and 7.

The East is a little better because you are talking teams 2 and 4 in the conference finals. But you just lost a team that had the most points in league history (short though it is).

At this point, they should just let everyone make the playoffs and treat it like the FA cup and draw random teams to play at random locations.

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2021/12/philadelphia-union-get-done-dirty-by-their-own-clown-league.html

So the MLS Cup will be Portland v NYCFC, to determine who truly is the MLS #7 team in the clown league.

BTW - don't read the article, it's a waste of time. Just Union fans crying about COVID protocols.

So…why did the Union have to sit eleven players in a conference title match, at home? Why didn’t the league postpone the match until Tuesday or even Wednesday? ...

... A Portland/Philadelphia MLS Cup would draw a fraction of the viewership that this Portland/NYC FC match will generate.

We're done here. Please, they knew the rules and went out and got COVID. Don't whine about money (that was the next line) or TV viewers, etc. This is stupid.

Edited by Captain Ron
Strike thru the article

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

No one is watching this game regardless of who is in it

I'll watch.  But, then again, I'd watch Bolivian League soccer if it's on.  Plus, there's a guy on my adult league team whose son is a starter.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
Actually, he might be on the other NY team.

I’ll be not only watching but in a seat in the stadium. 

edit. Never mind. It’s just one or two miserable bastards in here. Lol
Damn. Y’all are a sad lot.  
it isn’t the best futball in the world but some people are excited about having any sort of league in this very young country that is just trying to catch up. In that stadium Saturday there will be a shit load of very passionate people cheering for a couple teams that played hard. Some times it’s  good futball. Sometimes it’s crap. It’s always fun. 
if you aren’t a fan so be it. Take your incessant bitching and moaning to anther thread. I bet I’d the three of y’all left this thread maybe people wouldn’t be afraid to come and enjoy what ever league we do finally have here. 
damn. Sounds like aggy up on here bitching so much. 

Edited by Eugene11

🙄

My hatred of the MLS has less to do with the players and even less to do with the level of play* and 100% to do with the lack of effort by the owners, the league and US Soccer to do anything to assemble a decent product. They barely dump much money into the league, they haven't made the increases in level of play I would have expected for a league that is almost 30 and honestly, they still field a shoddy product in terms of both experience and play. And they are still running a ponzi scheme.

Don't get me wrong, you have your Austin FCs and even Portland and Seattle. But for each of them I can show you a New England, FC Dallas, etc. Hell, even Seattle plays in a football stadium on the fake shit.

I just want this league to stop being a mickey mouse show and start acting like the NHL, NBA, MLB or NFL. Then they can start to be taken seriously.

* yes, I bag on the level of play, but because the league hasn't improved it, not because it is so low. If the league really was working to produce better talent this league would be a lot further along than it is.

• Hook 'Em 1

When the best thing about your league are a few new stadiums scattered across the country, your league has issues.  That said, the play has gotten better and the academy system has improved dramatically.  The problems remain the godawful leadership, idiotic ownership structure, unnecessarily restrictive salary cap and unconscionably dumb regular season and playoff system. 

Hopefully, the goal is ultimately to split the league into two 16-team leagues with promotion and relegation between those leagues and a champion determined by league results instead of the insanely pathetic current playoff system.  As it stands, MLS as an actual competition is basically meaningless.  The regular season is merely a playoff qualifier and the playoffs are a one-off crapshoot.  Only one 1-seed from either conference has made it to the final over the last 10 seasons (Toronto in 2017).  It will remain a Mickey Mouse league more than deserving of derision until it has a true league champion and some promotion/relegation.      

BTW, aggy isn't known for bitching.  They are known for happily gobbling down the shit sandwiches they are fed on an annual basis.  Fuck that.  

• Hook 'Em 2