IndyCar 2021

Prepuce of Doom

The race looked really pretty but I don’t feel any of the broadcasters did a very good job telling us what was going on in the race at any given time. The one thing I liked that I hadn’t seen (or noticed before) was showing the last lap each driver pitted.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

The race looked really pretty but I don’t feel any of the broadcasters did a very good job telling us what was going on in the race at any given time.

But at least we know the exact age of each driver - that's the most important thing about motorsports. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

NBC just sucks.

Yep. I'm pretty sure they're still showing commercials from that race.

IIRC you started following F1 more closely after we started getting  the Sky broadcast, simulcast on ESPiN. If so, you're lucky to have not endured the NBCSN years. It was unbelievably bad. I always have to laugh when I hear the Brits complain about the Sky coverage, Crofty yelling, etc. They have no idea how good they've had it compared to our shittastic coverage. And sure, Crofty says silly things and sometimes raises his voice when there's actually something happening (the way you should, actually), but Diffey is in a constant state of yelling. I know a couple of people who know Diffey well, & I've interacted with him on twitter, & he seems like a truly good guy, but his announcing style makes my ears bleed.

And Danica & Tyrico ... that was just a complete waste of time.

1 hour ago, wood said:

IIRC you started following F1 more closely after we started getting  the Sky broadcast, simulcast on ESPiN. If so, you're lucky to have not endured the NBCSN years. It was unbelievably bad. I always have to laugh when I hear the Brits complain about the Sky coverage, Crofty yelling, etc. They have no idea how good they've had it compared to our shittastic coverage. And sure, Crofty says silly things and sometimes raises his voice when there's actually something happening (the way you should, actually), but Diffey is in a constant state of yelling. I know a couple of people who know Diffey well, & I've interacted with him on twitter, & he seems like a truly good guy, but his announcing style makes my ears bleed.

A friend posted some clips from the 1982 race that Gordon Johncock won over Rick Mears by a car length and it brought back memories of how good Jim McKay was headlining ABC's Indy 500 telecasts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wood said:

No, I’ve been watching and following for a long time. One of my father’s good friends at the hospital had four sons and they were all in with cars & racing. It helped too that Chip Ganassi and the boys were good friends.

I was the annoying little boy at Doc’s house for picnics. They were always running up to Watkins Glen for races. It rubbed off on me I suppose. I’ve been following racing for a lot of years.

Doc’s one boy agreed to marry his girlfriend, who worked for my dad in his department at the hospital, if she agreed to go to Monaco for the race for their honeymoon. Sort of the easiest ultimatum in the history of mankind.

It also helped that one of the best dirt tracks east of the Mississippi is less than 15 miles from my house.

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, C-Man said:

The Kentucky Derby (another NBC production) says hai.

True, especially given how short the Derby actually is.  But my wife and the other girls enjoy looking at the hats and I enjoy drinking bourbon, so it works out.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...