Elephants 1 - Poachers 0

TrashMaster G

On 4/19/2021 at 4:41 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

The only thing that would make it better would be if they were trophy hunters who'd dropped $50K per head. 

You do realize that a big chunk of that fee goes toward conservation and anti-poaching initiatives, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

A few years ago I was in India on business visiting a mine site in a remote area.  I took a late flight on a Thursday night from Mumbai to Kokatta arriving late at night.  The next morning we took a several hour drive from Kolkatta to the mine offices for the meeting.  As we get to the reception area we asked to see Mr. XXX.

Receptionist:  He is not here.

Us: How is he not here?  He knew that we were coming from a great distance away for this meeting.

Receptionist:  He is at the hospital.

Us:  OMG.  Is he OK?

Receptionist:  He is fine.  His sister is in the hospital.

Us:  Oh, OK.  What happened?

Receptionist:  She was attacked by a wild elephant in the village last night.

Me:  For real? (incredulous that such things actually happen)

Receptionist:  Yes, here is a report of it in the newspaper.

Me:  May I make of copy of this?

Me (to myself):  No one is going to believe that I had a meeting canceled due to a rogue elephant attack.

The news report is below (interesting wording and grammar):

image.png.b1972d830d0a20ffe06e021c162c7c30.png

We ate lunch.  Got back in the car and drove back to Kolkatta.  Took a late flight back to Mumbai.

Edited by mininghorn88
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

You do realize that a big chunk of that fee goes toward conservation and anti-poaching initiatives, right?

And if the economic incentive of hunting was not present, the locals would just kill them off instead of protecting them as a sustainable resource.  I care nothing about shooting African game.  But I am sure glad enough people do.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Yeah I used to say that.  They're killing species off faster than the funds can protect them.

3 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

A few years ago I was in India on business visiting a mine site in a remote area.  I took a late flight on a Thursday night from Mumbai to Kokatta arriving late at night.  The next morning we took a several hour drive from Kolkatta to the mine offices for the meeting.  As we get to the reception area we asked to see Mr. XXX.

Receptionist:  He is not here.

Us: How is he not here?  He knew that we were coming from a great distance away for this meeting.

Receptionist:  He is at the hospital.

Us:  OMG.  Is he OK?

Receptionist:  He is fine.  His sister is in the hospital.

Us:  Oh, OK.  What happened?

Receptionist:  She was attacked by a wild elephant in the village last night.

Me:  For real? (incredulous that such things actually happen)

Receptionist:  Yes, here is a report of it in the newspaper.

Me:  May I make of copy of this?

Me (to myself):  No one is going to believe that I had a meeting canceled due to a rogue elephant attack.

The news report is below (interesting wording and grammar):

image.png.b1972d830d0a20ffe06e021c162c7c30.png

We ate lunch.  Got back in the car and drove back to Kolkatta.  Took a late flight back to Mumbai.

Meh... that's fake... it's not even in Indian.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah I used to say that.  They're killing species off faster than the funds can protect them.

Onboard went 0/2

there are 1000 elephants killed legally per year. As many as 30,000/yr are killed illegally. Poaching is obviously the way bigger problem. 

Edited by TonyTexas

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Meh... that's fake... it's not even in Indian.

Go to Zambia and you will experience a total lack of wildlife hardly even any birds either as they have all been killed off by the locals.

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Onboard went 0/2

there are 1000 elephants killed legally per year. As many as 30,000/yr are killed illegally. 

Yeah I, didn't know that,  don't doubt it's true. It seems like a lose lose proposition. The money they're getting is like sticking your finger in a leaky dam.  I got no problem with managed hunting, grew up hunting, animals are delicious.