Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

i looked up Baker's stats at Nevada last night. he's doing alright, playing 27 mpg. the one big difference i noticed when looking at his per-40 stats was 3PA- through two games at Nevada he's attempting 2.2 3PA per 40 minutes. at Texas he was attempting 8, lmao. talk about setting a guy up to fail.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I love when Shaka gets down like he’s guarding someone on the sideline. And by love I mean it’s fucking stupid.

Lulz, Ive noticed him squatting down and slapping the floor right next to the action. Dont recall him doing that at Texas, but its possible my brain blocked it out with the rest of the 6 miserable seasons as a defense mechanism. 

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It’s a beating. He looks so dumb in his defensive position. Butt down! Hands up!. 

his team is full court pressing from the jump, he's wearing athletic clothes and sneakers, he's running up and down the base line during play, slapping the floor, pantomiming man-to-man defensive positions- makes you wonder why he even accepted the Texas job if he believed that he needed to fundamentally change everything about himself in order to do so.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

28-27 and almost halftime. This is his Texas over North Carolina win. Early season that really gets the fan base believing only to end up losing in the opening round to Akron. Leaving the fan base confused.

yup. this. cole out firing on all cylinders against a highly rated team that's still putting things together, make the game ugly, win it late, and give that sweet, sweet false hope to an entire unsuspecting fan base.

21 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Geezus.  I quit watching Texas basketball because of that incompetent fraud … and now, some of you are watching the same car wreck at Marquette?

Fuck that shit …

listen, the wound is still fresh. later this season, if/when Beard has his team playing at a level commensurate with its talent, then sure, Shaka Smart and his hilarious failures will mostly be an afterthought. but it's still just the second week of the season, and i am thoroughly enjoying watching a Shaka Smart-led team open the game with a hurried pull-up three by a guy who can't shoot, knowing that he's wearing a Marquette jersey, and not a Texas one.

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

listen, the wound is still fresh. later this season, if/when Beard has his team playing at a level commensurate with its talent, then sure, Shaka Smart and his hilarious failures will mostly be an afterthought. but it's still just the second week of the season, and i am thoroughly enjoying watching a Shaka Smart-led team open the game with a hurried pull-up three by a guy who can't shoot, knowing that he's wearing a Marquette jersey, and not a Texas one.

Sorry, I get no enjoyment picking at scabs …

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

he's in his element now.  underdog with zero expectations.   good win for him.  we'll see how this goes.

that Illinois guard was a disaster.  They are #10?

they'll be a different team when Cockburn (rough name, pronounced "Co-burn") gets back. he's like Brian Orakpo if Orakpo was 6'8" and really really good at basketball. NPOY candidate.

• Hook 'Em 1

also, here's the thing- if he ends up being successful at Marquette then it's not like i'm going to be over here fuming at his success. i don't hate Shaka Smart. i hated what he did to UT hoops, i hated his guarded, calculated persona, i hated his endless platitudes and catch phrases, and i hated the fact that Texas was paying him millions of dollars to recruit really really well and then fail spectacularly at coaching basketball. but it's not like he's Jeff Fisher, where I am actively and sincerely rooting for him to publicly crash and burn at every single thing he ever attempts from now until he's dead; but shit, give a Texas hoops fan a break. 

this guy was an inaccesible clown, a snake oil salesman, a maddeningly inept coach, and most of all, he was never a full fledged Longhorn. this was just some job he had; he was never "one of us". he tried to assimilate his team to his culture, but he never assimilated himself with the culture and identity of Texas. look at what Beard has done with his #ReuiniteTheFamily i initiative. he's already done more in one offseason (before he ever coached a game here) to ingratiate himself to Longhorn Nation than Shaka did in six years. the guy never bought in here, and he made UT fans miserable for the better part of the last five years. if you think we're all just going to forget that he exists and immediately move on then you don't know sports fans. 

• Hook 'Em 7

Marquette jumps from 96 to 88 in kenpom after the win.

AE5B1402-017D-4DB2-B44C-1B2FF8278E73.thumb.jpeg.40e48f059c79aaecce41a16b2c6bc15d.jpeg

on an actual discussion note- look at that average possession length. 👀 its six years after the fact and i am still shocked and completely puzzled as to what in the fuck was going through Shaka's mind when he accepted this job and then coached here (not to mention WTF was that assclown Patterson thinking when he hired this fool?).

specifically: Shaka said it when he got here: "I'm not going to run Havoc. The Big XII is a different league with a different level of player, and we're going to play a style more suited to that. we're going to play half court, inside-out." he said that when he was hired, and that's exactly what we did from the jump. later, he would over correct and try to play some 5-out/NBA style/ISO bullshit, but never went back to Havoc. also, while he's too guarded to ever say anything like this, he wasn't going to recruit a bunch of 5 stars and then ask them to play like scrappy underdogs who have to fight for every possession.

HOWEVER- Rick Barnes left him with a roster chock full of players who were a fit for Havoc, *especially* Isaiah Taylor, and yet we never did it. Even when Cam Ridley went down (!!), and our entire roster was built to press and run and score in transition and *avoid* half court offense- Taylor, Holland, Roach, EDJ, Felix, Lammert, Ibeh, Barnett, and Yancy- HELLO! that team *screams* "12.8 seconds per possession", and instead we just kept running the same shit we were running when Cam Ridley was playing 33 mpg.

so, the question remains:

why did he take this job if he was going to abandon everything he knew about coaching? why did we offer him this job based on his success with one style, knowing that he was going to start over from scratch once he got here? why didn't we run havoc when Ridley got hurt? why, when he lost so spectacularly and failed to compete so regularly, did he never try to go back to what he knows? why didn't he install at least *some* components of Havoc in case we needed them? Why didn't he go back to recruit players suited to Havoc after years of failing to change his style? Why in the hell did the last six years go down the way it did? Why in the hell did all of that ass-backwards shit happen the way it did?

The one thing Shaka has going for him at Marquette is the Big East is nothing compared to the Big 12 in men's basketball. 

Just look at this year's Kenpom and top 20 teams:

Big East- 1 (Nova)

Big 12- 4 (Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor and Kansas) 

The middle and bottom of the Big 12 is also much better than Big East.