Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

Shaka is flat out amazing at losing close games. this season he's 2 for 2 ATS as an underdog, and he did that shit with unflinching regularity at Texas. he'd lose a close game to UT-Arlington, sure, but he'd also regularly lose close games that weren't supposed to be so close. he's like a sleeper cell, sent to torture entitled basketball fans who need to be humbled. he'll break your heart in every conceivable way, all while convincing 90% of the people around you that he's a swell guy who's doing a great job. shaka smart might actually be a demon. his ability to make things as hard as they possibly can be is not of this world.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Tamar Bates barely plays at Indiana, and none of the (worse) recruits that followed him to Marquette have started a game for him this year or last year.  David Joplin had a good game against Purdue this year, and that is the sum total of their contributions in college basketball (zilch last year on middling teams).

I don’t think people fully appreciate how horrible we would have been last year if Shaka stayed, and how much Beard improved things immediately (even if we were overrated last year in the preseason).   Replace the good transfers Beard brought in last year with those non-contributor freshmen Shaka recruits, and that basically would have been our roster.

It would have been much worse than Shaka’s last place in the Big 12 team that featured Jarrett Allen. I really think it would have been the worst team we’ve had since those first couple of Weltlich teams.  Single digit wins.

I fully appreciate it, every single day. I’m downright giddy over Beard and will be singing zippity do da out my asshole all day long this year. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Tamar Bates barely plays at Indiana, and none of the (worse) recruits that followed him to Marquette have started a game for him this year or last year.  David Joplin had a good game against Purdue this year, and that is the sum total of their contributions in college basketball (zilch last year on middling teams).

I don’t think people fully appreciate how horrible we would have been last year if Shaka stayed, and how much Beard improved things immediately (even if we were overrated last year in the preseason).   Replace the good transfers Beard brought in last year with those non-contributor freshmen Shaka recruits, and that basically would have been our roster.

It would have been much worse than Shaka’s last place in the Big 12 team that featured Jarrett Allen. I really think it would have been the worst team we’ve had since those first couple of Weltlich teams.  Single digit wins.

5530792C-408A-4996-8D85-63D9840E00F5.thumb.jpeg.bd9a5920b783587cc783f630fdcb886b.jpeg

8581AAB2-3CD1-46D6-AE6A-D91E218F6FE5.thumb.jpeg.655291756b68545d4d2215bcbedbb5d1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I'll tell you what I don't miss.....watching shaka's teams hoist up shitty 3 point looks all game long. His offense does nothing special to get good looks, it's just the last resort when nothing else comes from 4 or 5 guys standing around the perimeter. Check out Marquette's stats so far (# 3 pt shots/# total shots/3pt percentage)

Radford (19/59/26%)

C mich (38/64/34%)

Purdue (27/56/33%)

LIU (35/68/31%)

Miss st (28/51/28%)

I don't miss that crap at all.  The horns are only at 29% for the season, but we don't shoot as frequently and we started the season 7 for 36, so maybe we'll shoot it better on the year. At least our team has something else to go to other than 3 pt prayers.

Edited by Blotto

28 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

And, as usual, his whole fucking team has the green light for some reason.  Marquette has 9 guys in their rotation who have played in every game.  8 of the 9 guys are attempting more than two 3 point shots per game.   The only guy who doesn't is their center, who is shooting 36% on FREE THROWS and has no offensive game besides dunks/layups.  Everyone else on the team gets to jack 3s.

We also have 9 guys in the main rotation.  Only 4 of our rotation players are attempting more than two 3 point shots (Hunter, Carr, Rice and Morris).  So, our best shooting guards, and none of our marginal shooting bigs.  Imagine that.

I still have nightmares of Dylan Osetkowski and Mo Bamba taking 8 threes per game like they're Steph Curry.  Shudder.  So glad that era is over.

Will Baker per 40 stats during his one year under Shaka:

2.7-6.2 2P FGA, .433 2P FG%

1.2-8.0 3P FGA, .154 3P FG%

1.0-3.1 FT, .333 FT%

Edited by shadow_operative

On 10/20/2022 at 10:13 AM, MotownHorn said:

Someone literally mentioned the article so I posted it for them. I didn't post it out of nowhere. I posted it in response to longhornmatt.

You can simply ignore me if you don't like me instead of melting down. This is the last I will address you all season. No one wants to see us bicker back and forth. It's dumb. You do whatever you like. Call me as many names as you want. I'm not going to engage with you. Bye bye now 👋

Let's not get crazy here. I like to see it. Anything I can do to encourage it, let me know. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

Sark = Shaka

Not even close. And I say that completely and totally knowing Sark might flame out. He’s already demonstrated much better roster management than Shaka ever did. He is an elite level coach on 1 side of the ball. Shaka was a clown at everything related to teaching/instructing/designing an offense or defense. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not even close. And I say that completely and totally knowing Sark might flame out. He’s already demonstrated much better roster management than Shaka ever did. He is an elite level coach on 1 side of the ball. Shaka was a clown at everything related to teaching/instructing/designing an offense or defense. 

Elite level offensive coordinators don’t go 7-4 with the best RB in the country. They also don’t go 8 quarters without an offensive TD.

But ok.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Loop 1604 said:

Elite level offensive coordinators don’t go 7-4 with the best RB in the country. They also don’t go 8 quarters without an offensive TD.

But ok.

So that 8 quarters is from when to when?  We chopping up games now?  He’s an elite level offensive mind. Look what he did at Bama and SC. Also our offense is top 25 with a ton of freshmen. To say that Shaka demonstrated any ability to master basketball the way Sark has demonstrated mastery of his skill set is silly. Shaka is a clown. If something happens to Sark here he’d have his choice of about 120 jobs as an OC. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Ellis and Itejere were the 2 single worst offers I have ever seen from a high major program. Bates being a bust is a bit shocking. Joplin could’ve been a useful shooter, but Shaka will likely lead him down the Febres path. 

The entire CBB media community insists he's a great coach. I can't think of any notable media person who has questioned Shaka's performance over the past 8 or so years.  

Tough luck, bad breaks, Texas fans caring both too little and too much about basketball. Those are the excuses guys like Fran and Bilas give. Or I don't know, maybe they actually do shit on him in private. But I doubt it.

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this take might not be PC, but it could just be a classic case of old white guys being really impressed (maybe unexpectedly so) with the young black guy when they meet him, causing them to fawn over him. "shaka smart? oh he's just great; just great." i've seen a lot of that in my life. 

At Texas, Shaka was 109-86 overall with 51-56 conference record.  Enough said.

Edited by Horn80

2 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Ellis and Itejere were the 2 single worst offers I have ever seen from a high major program. Bates being a bust is a bit shocking. Joplin could’ve been a useful shooter, but Shaka will likely lead him down the Febres path. 

I give him the benefit of the doubt on Itejere. Finding underrecruited athletic bigs was Shaka's lone exceptional skill.  

53 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this take might not be PC, but it could just be a classic case of old white guys being really impressed (maybe unexpectedly so) with the young black guy when they meet him, causing them to fawn over him. "shaka smart? oh he's just great; just great." i've seen a lot of that in my life. 

Don't over think it.  College basketball media never criticizes coaches. Tom Crean is still a top tier coach despite failing at every stop since Dwayne Wade left for the draft. 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

You idiots. He is dismantling Georgia Tech 

3rd Place Beach Division at the Ft Myers Tipoff Classic (and I do mean Classic!). Hope their Hall of Champion(s) is as big as aggy! Running out of room for trophies! Put it on the wall, baby! A true murderers row!

Marquette/Mississippi State/Utah/Georgia Tech

NIU/LIU/Sam Houston State/South Dakota

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I give him the benefit of the doubt on Itejere. Finding underrecruited athletic bigs was Shaka's lone exceptional skill.  

He essentially played high school basketball in a carpet floor church league. His only in state offer was from Elon. Shaka gets 0 credit for wasting a scholarship on a guy that could dunk on defenders a foot shorter than him. 

And I’m giving Darrin Horn the credit over Shaka for recruiting and developing Jericho and Hayes whether he deserves it or not

• Haha 1

i just saw the highlights on sportscenter, and i'm smiling ear to ear. what's that? a shaka smart team just surprised the hell out of everyone by competing with/beating a top 10 team in november? hell, their fans should get their tickets and rooms for Houston right now.

giphy.gif?cid=5e21488655murzvxuq8dbbf43s

their fans will be so puzzled when they lose to depaul, providence, and georgetown. but those november baylor wins will be enough to keep both fans and the brass saying, "he's a good coach, he just needs more time!!" ffwd to 2026 and he's still waiting to win a league title/tourney game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

also-

marquette started the season ranked 76th in kenpom. they were ranked 58th going into the baylor game. that ass whooping of baylor has them all the way up to 33 already. hell, maybe he will have a good team this year. he's got the kind of team he has success with- 2 star, slept on, scrappy players who are looking for a father figure who believes in them. maybe they do win a bunch of games and go to the sweet 16. god i would love to run into them there. we couldn't ask for a better matchup. 

15 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

How do you lose to Abilene Christian?

lol. the answer should be that ACU shoots 14-28 from deep and is just unconscious from the field all day. however...

AE75D299-CEC9-47EA-81D7-4345F01A57A9.thumb.jpeg.5107ccf6adca91b70ed37b0a2083a222.jpeg

FD5EDB25-6FCC-4294-8FCB-B8C3AA5F5D65.thumb.jpeg.2b55572f55eb70cb28544d1868f6e990.jpeg

but hey, getting destroyed on the boards like that is understandable, shaka didn't have a lot to work with in that department...

FFE553B4-FA2F-4CCE-9A73-224BEAD24A1E.jpeg.0bffcf0138ed4b3c82ee163ed6c161ac.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 4

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lol. the answer should be that ACU shoots 14-28 from deep and is just unconscious from the field all day. however...

AE75D299-CEC9-47EA-81D7-4345F01A57A9.thumb.jpeg.5107ccf6adca91b70ed37b0a2083a222.jpeg

FD5EDB25-6FCC-4294-8FCB-B8C3AA5F5D65.thumb.jpeg.2b55572f55eb70cb28544d1868f6e990.jpeg

but hey, getting destroyed on the boards like that is understandable, shaka didn't have a lot to work with in that department...

FFE553B4-FA2F-4CCE-9A73-224BEAD24A1E.jpeg.0bffcf0138ed4b3c82ee163ed6c161ac.jpeg

Then let's talk about UNI. Fuck this just makes me angry all over again 

• Rage+1 1

I think we have enough self loathing asshole fans on this site, willing to wallow in our biggest disappointments and blunders that we have a fair amount that would watch their daughter starring in a snuff film.  

Bad bad bad memories.  Much better to point and laugh.   The Shaka coaster starts its ride!