Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

15 minutes ago, Blotto said:

His teams look great when they shoot ~50‰ from deep. I'm sure they will keep that up. This year will be different.

Yeah, that’s part of why Shaka is way better off at a smaller school. They value the big upsets more and the amount of 3s he lets his players take will lead to some upsets, but it will also lead to losing even more games you shouldn’t, which we are all painfully aware of. 

• Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, that’s part of why Shaka is way better off at a smaller school. They value the big upsets more and the amount of 3s he lets his players take will lead to some upsets, but it will also lead to losing even more games you shouldn’t, which we are all painfully aware of. 

I don't know who you're kidding. He's going to get fired from Marquette within 6 years, too. He's going to have to go smaller than this.

Since Al McGuire, Marquette has had 9 head coaches. Only one of them - Tom Crean - lasted longer than 6 years. They've all been fired, retired, or left for greener pastures. Which one of those does Smart fit?

On 11/30/2022 at 5:51 PM, SL Xpress said:

I don't know who you're kidding. He's going to get fired from Marquette within 6 years, too. He's going to have to go smaller than this.

Since Al McGuire, Marquette has had 9 head coaches. Only one of them - Tom Crean - lasted longer than 6 years. They've all been fired, retired, or left for greener pastures. Which one of those does Smart fit?

Maybe that’s fine. Just keep putting those checks in the retirement account. 

going down the rabbit hole of losses here, you've got 33 (kenpom ranking) Marquette losing to 47 wisconsin, who just lost at home to 77 wake forest, who has a loss to 139 loyola marymount, who has a loss to 167 UC Riverside, who has a loss to 148 cal baptist, who has a loss to 161 long beach state, who has a loss to 178 montana state, who has a loss to 180 unc greensboro, who lost 73-56 to 267 north carolina a&t, who's been playing against teams like St.Andrews Presbyterian and Edward Waters (maybe he's just one guy?), who aren't even tracked by kenpom. so it's basically like Marquette just lost to some guy named Edward Waters.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

• 4 weeks later...

Shaka's boys beat UCONN. holy shit their fans are in for it come tourney time. they're probably thinking final four right now.

and look, he may end up being a good coach at marquette- they've got a big basketball budget, it's his home state, and he won't be burdened with all of those pesky, talented, tall, athletic, five star, future NBA players- he'll get to recruit his scrappy underdogs who want a father figure who will text them random platitudes every morning. he may end up winning a whole bunch of games there. he's still a terrible postseason coach, bar one completely inexplicable outlier of a tourney from more than a dozen years ago. 

Edited by shadow_operative

5 hours ago, HookEm said:

I saw that Marquette is top 10 in fast break points. It is maddening. I will never understand why he completely changed his philosophy here.

It was recruiting related afaik. He thought an NBA style would attract more 5-stars. And he probably thought dudes that were gonna be on campus for maybe 4 months didn't want to kill themseleves working on the conditioning required to play that way. And maybe he was right about that.

I also think it's part of his conman/huckster personality profile. He doesn't have a strong coaching identity. He adapts to his environment and tells people what they want to hear to win them over.  The stupid shit we heard about over the years like Shaka letting the players vote on team culture speaks to said lack of identity.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The guy hasn't won a NCAA tournament game in a decade. He is 0 for his last 6 in the first round, including 4 losses to double digit seeds.

He will find a way to screw it up again.

If he wins his first NCAA tournament game in a decade, can this thread die?

Happy Parks And Recreation GIF

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pancho said:

If he wins his first NCAA tournament game in a decade, can this thread die?

Happy Parks And Recreation GIF

this thread had a dip in interest that coincided with beard's success here. i believe i even posted as much, that the more success we had under beard the less and less i'd give a shit about what Shaka has going on. didn't really have time for all of that, what with all of the lights out recruiting, smothering defense, uptempo offense, and winning games against top teams. but now? i got time today cuz. 

CB77440B-46EC-4C6A-AF83-34BD01651A4E.thumb.jpeg.8b80e42f4613240520761a6a39ab3f20.jpeg

no.2 in AdjO. no.2 in eFG%. no.1 in 2P%. no.11 in avg possession length. 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886d08byqx8t33au8i306

which team has more talent/ability to run? this year's marquette team, or Shaka's first team at Texas, post-Ridley injury? you don't think that running with Isaiah Taylor and Kerwin Roach might have been a good idea? EDJ and Javan playing the trailer/spreading the floor hitting catch-and-shoot threes? Connor Lammert having the exact skill set of the stretch 4's Shaka used at VCU? a good passer who can knock down an open three and grab some rebounds? demarcus holland, an All-Defense Big XII member from the year before, and a guard who was just plain built to run havoc? i cannot wrap my mind around the fact that he never decided to run with that team. probably could have gone to the final four that year. we did best half of that year's FF during the regular season after all. god damn that is aggravating to think about. you just can't make sense of it. 

• Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

this thread had a dip in interest that coincided with beard's success here. i believe i even posted as much, that the more success we had under beard the less and less i'd give a shit about what Shaka has going on. didn't really have time for all of that, what with all of the lights out recruiting, smothering defense, uptempo offense, and winning games against top teams. but now? i got time today cuz. 

But why cuz? Texas still winning. This year still has every goal in sight. Who cares how the fraud is fooling the cheese fan? You gotta listen to Queen Elsa and let it goooooooo.

Now when it gets to March and there's the annual faceplant, then we can all come back to this thread and point and laugh again.

On 1/12/2023 at 7:25 AM, HookEm said:

I saw that Marquette is top 10 in fast break points. It is maddening. I will never understand why he completely changed his philosophy here.

He hates me personally. Because I am not a huge basketball fan (I mean I am a huge Texas Basketball fan but I don't watch much basketball outside of that), but I do love the fast paced style of play. The results were far worse but I enjoyed the Penders era more than the Barnes era and I was looking forward to some HAVOC. Instead I got boring shit. And boring shit that didn't even win games.

Why Shaka? Why did you do this to me? If you had just lost in a more fun way I would have been your biggest apologist.

Edited by Valmy77

13 minutes ago, cashman said:

Again it's very lame to keep this thread going after what happened to the last guy Texas hired. I suggest we all point and laugh at  this guy instead

IMG_2079-e1670874722148.png

I just want to make it clear we hate this guy more now. Every game thread is people just furious he fucked us. If and when Beard ever gets another job we will have another thread pointing and laughing if he fails. 

But right now there is nothing to point and laugh at since he is sort of under the radar.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, cashman said:

Again it's very lame to keep this thread going after what happened to the last guy Texas hired. I suggest we all point and laugh at  this guy instead

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7m5f49g2qu37pw2192l

when are people going to stop posting this shit? mack brown brought us ricky's heisman season, Colt, VY, back to back Rose Bowl wins, a fiesta bowl win, two conference titles, and a national title (should have been two NC's) and nobody ever says, "guys stop talking about Mack!". he's our former coach, we have strong feelings about him, we're going to keep following him and talking about him.

shaka was a terrible coach at Texas. only KU recruited better than we did during shaka's time here and went 51-56 in big xii play during his six seasons here with a bunch of dudes who are now playing in the nba. and that's just his results.

he made zero attempts to connect with the fans, the student body, or the city. he was a self-guarded weirdo who seemingly only spoke in hollow, cliched platitudes and  who was essentially never honest or straightforward with anything he said publicly. he drove players off in bunches and had beefs with players from every recruiting class he ever signed. he had dylan osetkowski and will baker shooting threes like they were jj redick. he constantly lost in the postseason as a favored seed. and on his way out, after getting waaaaaay more slack than he ever deserved here, and after leaving the program worse than he found it, he ran his mouth about how nice it was to be at a school (marquette) that actually cared about basketball, and where the fans would actually show up. fuck that dude. seriously, if you love Texas then you do not like shaka smart. fuck that idiot and everything he did to this program. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1