Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

god i'd love to meet marquette in a 4 vs 5 game with marquette as the 4. 

Us at the 5?  With 2 games left against KU, a road trip to KSU, a road trip to Lubbock and ISU at home?

God I'd take a 5 seed right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7m5f49g2qu37pw2192l

when are people going to stop posting this shit? mack brown brought us ricky's heisman season, Colt, VY, back to back Rose Bowl wins, a fiesta bowl win, two conference titles, and a national title (should have been two NC's) and nobody ever says, "guys stop talking about Mack!". he's our former coach, we have strong feelings about him, we're going to keep following him and talking about him.

shaka was a terrible coach at Texas. only KU recruited better than we did during shaka's time here and went 51-56 in big xii play during his six seasons here with a bunch of dudes who are now playing in the nba. and that's just his results.

he made zero attempts to connect with the fans, the student body, or the city. he was a self-guarded weirdo who seemingly only spoke in hollow, cliched platitudes and  who was essentially never honest or straightforward with anything he said publicly. he drove players off in bunches and had beefs with players from every recruiting class he ever signed. he had dylan osetkowski and will baker shooting threes like they were jj redick. he constantly lost in the postseason as a favored seed. and on his way out, after getting waaaaaay more slack than he ever deserved here, and after leaving the program worse than he found it, he ran his mouth about how nice it was to be at a school (marquette) that actually cared about basketball, and where the fans would actually show up. fuck that dude. seriously, if you love Texas then you do not like shaka smart. fuck that idiot and everything he did to this program. 

It is patently obvious that the guy was getting outcoached constantly in the big 12 and therefore had to go to a league where the water was a little shallower to succeed.

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

when are people going to stop posting this shit? mack brown brought us ricky's heisman season, Colt, VY, back to back Rose Bowl wins, a fiesta bowl win, two conference titles, and a national title (should have been two NC's) and nobody ever says, "guys stop talking about Mack!". he's our former coach, we have strong feelings about him, we're going to keep following him and talking about him.

shaka was a terrible coach at Texas. only KU recruited better than we did during shaka's time here and went 51-56 in big xii play during his six seasons here with a bunch of dudes who are now playing in the nba. and that's just his results.

he made zero attempts to connect with the fans, the student body, or the city. he was a self-guarded weirdo who seemingly only spoke in hollow, cliched platitudes and  who was essentially never honest or straightforward with anything he said publicly. he drove players off in bunches and had beefs with players from every recruiting class he ever signed. he had dylan osetkowski and will baker shooting threes like they were jj redick. he constantly lost in the postseason as a favored seed. and on his way out, after getting waaaaaay more slack than he ever deserved here, and after leaving the program worse than he found it, he ran his mouth about how nice it was to be at a school (marquette) that actually cared about basketball, and where the fans would actually show up. fuck that dude. seriously, if you love Texas then you do not like shaka smart. fuck that idiot and everything he did to this program. 

im not reading all that, but nothing Shaka did at Texas will ever be as embarrassing as what Chris Beard did

• Fuck You 4

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I get it. 

But, the indifference is worst than hatred. Hatred and anger take energy. You’re using your energy to purposely post about it. (Which is fine, because it’s your life and I like talking ball witchu) It’s the same argument I use about aggy. Texas fans love making fun of aggy and we have a 10,000 page thread mocking them and their dumbassery; however, that is why aggy thinks we truly believe they (aggy) is our main rival when we all know that’s not the case. I’ve always said the biggest way to get under aggys skin and make them really mad is to not talk about them at all. Same for Shaka. Maybe that’s just me. 

The question is will this thread go on when we are 2 coaches post-Shaka

29 minutes ago, cashman said:

im not reading all that, but nothing Shaka did at Texas will ever be as embarrassing as what Chris Beard did

The loss to ACU was more embarrassing to the University of Texas basketball program than anything Chris Beard has ever done.  Beard’s actions are embarrassing for Chris Beard but not Texas basketball.  You can’t find a single rationale person who doesn’t believe that the University handled the Beard situation as well as could be done.  Most people applaud the University for having morals and doing what needed to be done, wins be damned.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, txhorns said:

The loss to ACU was more embarrassing to the University of Texas basketball program than anything Chris Beard has ever done.  Beard’s actions are embarrassing for Chris Beard but not Texas basketball.  You can’t find a single rationale person who doesn’t believe that the University handled the Beard situation as well as could be done.  Most people applaud the University for having morals and doing what needed to be done, wins be damned.

1) If you think losing a basketball game is more embarrassing than being arrested for 3rd degree domestic violence, I just feel sorry for you as a human being.

2) What could the University have done better in the Beard situation?

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

1) If you think losing a basketball game is more embarrassing than being arrested for 3rd degree domestic violence, I just feel sorry for you as a human being.

2) What could the University have done better in the Beard situation?

We’re talking embarrassing to the University, not on an individual level.  Literally every business, school, or entity that is medium size or above (most small ones too) has an employee arrested for some shit like DV at some point in its existence.  That doesn’t reflect badly on the organization but on the employee themself.  The only way it would reflect badly on the organization is if they handled it in an improper manner such as covering it up.  Texas did not do that In the least bit.  They handled it with the utmost class and professionalism.  

• Hook 'Em 4

16 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Inspiring Tim Tebow GIF by Home Free

59 minutes ago, txhorns said:

We’re talking embarrassing to the University, not on an individual level.  Literally every business, school, or entity that is medium size or above (most small ones too) has an employee arrested for some shit like DV at some point in its existence.  That doesn’t reflect badly on the organization but on the employee themself.  The only way it would reflect badly on the organization is if they handled it in an improper manner such as covering it up.  Texas did not do that In the least bit.  They handled it with the utmost class and professionalism.  

Gotcha 🤘🏼

I love that this thread stays active. I follow sports for entertainment, and it's entertaining for me to root against every former coach from Texas. I will always hope and expect Shaka Smart to fail. 

The truth is there haven't been a bunch of coaches leave Texas and then go on to enjoy spectacular success. Richard Quick for women's swimming, and Mick Haley for volleyball. I can't recall any others in my lifetime. Rick Barnes has done well in the regular season, but unfortunately for him that's not how coaches are measured career wise. Mack Brown is having mixed results at North Carolina, but he's not doing poorly. 

In any case, I'd love to see Shaka Smart completely flame out at Marquette. I'm expecting it. And I'm never getting past it. Don't want to. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Up until the end, I wanted Shaka to succeed at Texas.  Early in his time here, we lost sooooo many close games by just a few points.  And we were recruiting well.  It seemed like we had a CHANCE to turn the corner.

The team that lost to Abilene was actually a really good, well constructed team. They finished 9th in the final AP poll, and were as high as 4th for multiple weeks.  I thought it had the potential to make a deep run in the tourney - maybe even to the Final Four.  I mean, we had TEN top-100 HS players on the roster.  Matt Coleman was a boss.  We had solid interior play with Jericho Sims, Kai Jones, Greg Brown, Hepa, Cunningham, Hamm, etc.  And our guards were all experienced.  It is just beyond comprehension that this team lost to ACU.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

We also managed to lose in a game where ACU shot 30% on FGs and didn’t make many 3s.  In addition to our usual bad offense, we lost by getting massively out rebounded and turning it over constantly - which is even more incomprehensible given we were the team with huge advantages in size and athleticism. 

It is the worst game I’ve ever seen a higher seeded NCAA tournament team lose.  Even Virginia losing a 1 vs 16 game by 20 points wasn’t actually as bad.  That was the typical formula for almost all the other big upsets - UMBC shot over 50% on 3s on a bunch of attempts and won because of the fluke hot shooting.  ACU was terrible and played like complete ass against us, and we managed to lose anyway in the one way that should have been impossible.

also DeAndre Turner had just broken his wrist the game before the UMBC loss, which threw a wrench into how UVA plays, and caused a sort of perfect storm chain reaction. meanwhile Shaka knew he was coaching for his job, and he still had no clue how to get his team of superior athletes and basketball players to simply win the battle of the boards vs a team that literally had less size than some of the top HS teams in the country. it is truly the most unbelievable loss i've ever witnessed. 

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

I've played some pickup games like the ACU game. Where the other team is shorter and less athletic, but cares WAY more than you. So they destroy you on the glass, out hustle you on defense and ultimately win.  It is annoying.

My overwhelming feeling after the ACU loss was similar to how I felt when Charlie Strong lost to Kansas. 

Relief. Finally it's over and we can get someone else. Surely the next person won't be able to kick my fandom nuts with their tenure any harder than Smart did over his 6 years.

Surely. 

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

We also managed to lose in a game where ACU shot 30% on FGs and didn’t make many 3s.  In addition to our usual bad offense, we lost by getting massively out rebounded and turning it over constantly - which is even more incomprehensible given we were the team with huge advantages in size and athleticism. 

It is the worst game I’ve ever seen a higher seeded NCAA tournament team lose.  Even Virginia losing a 1 vs 16 game by 20 points wasn’t actually as bad.  That was the typical formula for almost all the other big upsets - UMBC shot over 50% on 3s on a bunch of attempts and won because of the fluke hot shooting.  ACU was terrible and played like complete ass against us, and we managed to lose anyway in the one way that should have been impossible.

I've posted this before, but it's so fucking funny I'll post it again - statistically, literally an un-losable game.  No team in the history of the NCAA tournament had ever won shooting that poorly until Shaka's record-setting pants shitting.

>>plays a certain style which gains him acclaim and makes him a top candidate for the top available jobs in college basketball 

>>gets arguably the top available job in cbb, staunchly refuses to play the style that got him the job, finishes sub-.500 in the league with 0 tourney wins in six years as HC at said dream job

>>loses dream job

>>goes back to doing what he knows, is ranked no.12 in kenpom, has the no.1 offense in the country 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7pn3yg2k5co2nuju1lb

• Rage+1 4

On 1/18/2023 at 8:37 PM, cashman said:

Again it's very lame to keep this thread going after what happened to the last guy Texas hired. I suggest we all point and laugh at  this guy instead

IMG_2079-e1670874722148.png

Hey, man, I see you're getting a lot of shit for this post. And I know it can be difficult to take when you get a lot of hate for something you have to say online. Believe me, I know. So in that vein, I just want to say... go fuck yourself with a rusted hot iron poker until you can't stop smelling the burning shit, OK? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Is the conference that Marquette plays in really down this year ??

The Big East is bad. Over half the conference is terrible.

This is according to Kenpom: Seton Hall #62, St John's #66, Villanova #72, Butler #92, Depaul #133, Georgetown #228. To give you perspective, the lowest ranked Big 12 team is Texas Tech at #63. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The Big East is bad. Over half the conference is terrible.

This is according to Kenpom: Seton Hall #62, St John's #66, Villanova #72, Butler #92, Depaul #133, Georgetown #228. To give you perspective, the lowest ranked Big 12 team is Texas Tech at #63. 

the #7 team in the big xii (according to kenpom) is #27 in the country, and currently in 9th place in the league:

F84FC7AD-9B82-4AA9-97A7-A7583DEA8BB5.thumb.jpeg.b9d6b98fd8e7f4ab8fd4734a40eecf1d.jpeg

the big xii has been the best hoops league for the last decade, but to this point this is the toughest it's ever been. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, those projected Big 12 records don't surprise me. 

The bottom tier of the Big 12 is what really makes the Big 12 so damn good. Texas Tech and OU are a few plays away from having a bunch of wins in the Big 12. The margin of error is so small because every team is good. 

I won't be surprised if a lot of those teams finish 11-7 or worse because WV, OU, and Texas Tech types are eventually going to start beating some of these better teams.