Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

Last 10 seasons.  1-7 with 3 non-appearances in the Big Dance and 1 conference championship to show for it all.    

I want to like the guy and I wish him no ill will, but fucking-fuck man.  What the fuck with our hiring strategy?  

36 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Last 10 seasons.  1-7 with 3 non-appearances in the Big Dance and 1 conference championship to show for it all.    

I want to like the guy and I wish him no ill will, but fucking-fuck man.  What the fuck with our hiring strategy?  

ha. you think we had a hiring strategy when we fired Mack and Rick?

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

They shot 40% from three and still somehow lost by nine. That's the epitome of WTF Shakablah.

And that was with MSU shorting absolutely terrible from 3. MSU missed so many open 3s and still won comfortably because there was no gameplan for Marquette. The player had no idea what to do or how to beat MSU. 

They were young, if I remember correctly. Everyone can come back except for 1 person because of their recruiting class. 

It’s time for this thread to die. Turn your anger into passion for the current program. Shaka left, and it was a blessing for us all. That’s what made me stop hating him and let me move on. He wins? I don’t care. He loses? I don’t care. 

Beard is where this thread should turn to because of what could have been over the next 10-15 years…

It’s time to end this thread and create the Beard thread.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

I work for Fiserv; our HQ used to be in Milwaukee and the Bucks play in Fiserv Forum. Ton of Badgers fans but fucktons of Marquette fans. By a million miles, my least favorite co-worker (I’m not in Milwaukee) is this empty suit, worthless-ass fuckstick who tells me every chance he gets that Texas fans don’t understand basketball well enough to know what a mistake we made by ‘running off’ ShakaFraud. Even after last years epic blowout, he was convinced that once Shaka got ‘his guys’ in place, the glory days were just ahead.

I took the entire week off so tomorrow will be first day in the office in 10 days ; my first call is at 8:00A and is led by this sorry motherfucker. I’m feeling like Bart Scott right now…

Don’t even acknowledge him starting by not attending the call tomorrow. 

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

They were young, if I remember correctly. Everyone can come back except for 1 person because of their recruiting class. 

It’s time for this thread to die. Turn your anger into passion for the current program. Shaka left, and it was a blessing for us all. That’s what made me stop hating him and let me move on. He wins? I don’t care. He loses? I don’t care. 

Beard is where this thread should turn to because of what could have been over the next 10-15 years…

We need both threads. You don't mind Shaka - that's fine. A lot of us really resent him still. I don't go seek out and watch Marquette games to cheer against him - but I'm fine with admitting that every time he loses in the tournament it brings me a little bit of peace. 

We all treat our fandom differently and we're all flawed. There's going to be a thread dedicated to making fun of Shaka for the foreseeable future. 

• Hook 'Em 6

12 minutes ago, Pancho said:

There are threads dedicated not only to Shaka, but Barnes, Brown, Herman, Strong. Seems unlikely.

And there is a Beard thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I personally don't get this sentiment towards Beard. He didn't underperform while taking money from UT. He turned the program around quickly and was responsible for generating a lot of excitement, which had been absent prior to him arriving on campus. He fucked up in his personal life, but he did nothing but good things for UT.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Marquette made 11 threes.  And only 9 twos, and only 9 FTs.  Plus 16 turnovers.   

Never making or attempting any FTs is the big hidden killer in a typical Shaka Smart team's stat sheet.  Among many things that used to drive me crazy when he was here, that one was up there as the most perplexing considering we had teams full of athletic big men and slashers who should have been living on the offensive boards and the FT line, and yet we were among the worst in D1 at both of those things year after year. 

Oh well.  Just stand in the corner and jack threes at a 28% clip, athletic 6'9" dudes!  It is the way.

NBA offense!

7 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I personally don't get this sentiment towards Beard. He didn't underperform while taking money from UT. He turned the program around quickly and was responsible for generating a lot of excitement, which had been absent prior to him arriving on campus. He fucked up in his personal life, but he did nothing but good things for UT.

You don’t get this sentiment? 

Beard had a chance to turn Texas basketball into a monster for years to come. He chose to stay with a shitbag who caused him problems. I don’t mind saying he didn’t underperform, but he sure did fuck this program over in the long run because he wouldn’t do what was necessary in his personal life. That, to me, is just as bad as what Shaka did. 

Beard put a crazy ass shit bag he was told time and time again to dump OVER the university. I can only hope the same vitriol will be shown towards him 2 years from now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

You don’t get this sentiment? 

Beard had a chance to turn Texas basketball into a monster for years to come. He chose to stay with a shitbag who caused him problems. I don’t mind saying he didn’t underperform, but he sure did fuck this program over in the long run because he wouldn’t do what was necessary in his personal life. That, to me, is just as bad as what Shaka did. 

Beard put a crazy ass shit bag he was told time and time again to dump OVER the university. I can only hope the same vitriol will be shown towards him 2 years from now. 

Some of the most successful people in the world have shitty personal lives. Beard had a major positive influence on our program for which I am thankful for. He has had major impact wherever he has been to. Just look at the attendance records of the two schools he last coached.Screenshot_20230319_195825_Facebook.thumb.jpg.43e0ea8264e4515d1cf505b3b00f2ee2.jpg

5 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Some of the most successful people in the world have shitty personal lives. Beard had a major positive influence on our program for which I am thankful for. He has had major impact wherever he has been to. Just look at the attendance records of the two schools he last coached.Screenshot_20230319_195825_Facebook.thumb.jpg.43e0ea8264e4515d1cf505b3b00f2ee2.jpg

That’s nice.

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Beard built this team. I appreciate him for that. He took what would have been a 7-23 team last year if Shaka had stayed and turned them into something interesting thru the portal. I appreciate that too. I’m bummed about what might have been but he didn’t cause me misery as a fan for 6 years like Shaka. 

I just personally disagree, and that’s fine. 

I’m more angry at Beard because of what could have been. We will never get that opportunity again. Maybe it’s because of how I view Texas Basketball, but I finally started to see with Beard what this program SHOULD be. And he chose to not see that through because he couldn’t handle personal issues. That makes me way more angry than what Shaka did (didn’t do) here.  WIth Shaka, he’s gone. That’s what I wanted. I can’t get those 6 years back, but I could see the future with Beard who was going to do better than Barnes. The hurt I felt that morning waking up to him getting arrested was way more painful than what Shaka did. 

We all have our own experiences, and I guess mine is just the lone one on this website. I’m okay with that. 

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, Pancho said:

That’s nice.

I just personally disagree, and that’s fine. 

I’m more angry at Beard because of what could have been. We will never get that opportunity again. Maybe it’s because of how I view Texas Basketball, but I finally started to see with Beard what this program SHOULD be. And he chose to not see that through because he couldn’t handle personal issues. That makes me way more angry than what Shaka did (didn’t do) here.  WIth Shaka, he’s gone. That’s what I wanted. I can’t get those 6 years back, but I could see the future with Beard who was going to do better than Barnes. The hurt I felt that morning waking up to him getting arrested was way more painful than what Shaka did. 

We all have our own experiences, and I guess mine is just the lone one on this website. I’m okay with that. 

Well said. You aren't alone - a bunch of posters here were clearly pretty devastated when that shit with Beard went down. 

I'm young and dumb and feel that maybe nice things can still happen with Texas basketball going forward. If I was more wisened the pit in my stomach at losing Beard would be bigger. And I mean that genuinely.

Beard is gonna basically be a who cares what he does for me. He's an idoit.

To be fair to Shaka, I'm more pissed that our admin was such a clusterfuck we were giving extensions to someone clearly in over his head.  It's not his fault we didn't fire him after year 3 or 4.

Beard was obviously a very good coach with a chance to be great.  Shaka is just an average college head coach, IMO.  He doesn't appear to be a moron in his personal life, so good on him for that.

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Odd take.

Beard's thread title was recently updated to reflect his Surly status as a "huge piece of shit and woman abuser," so it seems like the vitriol against him is only beginning to grow even though he did more for the program in a season-and-a-half than Shaka did in six.

And some eight years after coaching for the Longhorns, Rick Barnes seems to have more detractors than defenders despite being the most successful coach in school history.

Have you come to their defense and advocated for their threads to die? No? Why is that, then?

I'd genuinely like to read your explanation for the inconsistency.

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Odd take.

Beard's thread title was recently updated to reflect his Surly status as a "huge piece of shit and woman abuser," so it seems like the vitriol against him is only beginning to grow even though he did more for the program in a season-and-a-half than Shaka did in six.

And some eight years after coaching for the Longhorns, Rick Barnes seems to have more detractors than defenders despite being the most successful coach in school history.

Have you come to their defense and advocated for their threads to die? No? Why is that, then?

I'd genuinely like to read your explanation for the inconsistency.

The Beard thread title was updated a few days ago. It wasn’t put there in December. 

The Barnes thread doesn’t have near the vitriol of the Shaka thread. The Barnes thread is clearly more people laughing at him. That’s pretty obvious. More importantly, the Barnes thread also shows peoples appreciation because he did do some magical things at Texas. This isn’t a comparable scenario.

There is no inconsistency. I’m not sure what you’re implying here. 

Beard made three people close to him (Adams, Trew, and soon Terry) very rich and a ton of money for the athletic programs he worked for. He also helped two of his former assistants become national coach of the year and had the fans believing that the assistants were better than him. What more does a guy have to do to get some appreciation. 😂

29 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Beard built this team. I appreciate him for that. He took what would have been a 7-23 team last year if Shaka had stayed and turned them into something interesting thru the portal. I appreciate that too. I’m bummed about what might have been but he didn’t cause me misery as a fan for 6 years like Shaka

I think that’s TBD

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

The Beard thread title was updated a few days ago. It wasn’t put there in December.

The original thread title is irrelevant. You wrote that you "hoped" the same vitriol would be shown toward Beard in another two years. Given that Beard's current thread title already has more vitriol than anything directed toward Shaka, it seems you're well on your way to having your wish granted.

As for the Barnes thread not having "near the vitriol" and is "clearly more people laughing at him," I suppose that's a matter of opinion, but what do you think this thread is? The freakin' thread title is "Point and laugh at Shaka Smart." Which we are. Cuz he's a fraud. He stole from this university for six seasons and, as far as I'm concerned, deserves ridicule and disrespect.

If you can't see the inconsistency, then you're either being flat-out dishonest with yourself or you're suffering from some sort of cognitive impairment.

So I'll ask you again--why you are asking for this thread to be shut down, i.e., why are you requesting that special treatment and courtesy be extended to Shaka Smart even though he took more and did less for men's hoops at Texas than any other coach in school history?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Rodney Terry has outperformed Shaka at Texas while having to coach in the middle of a media circus…

In 1 year as INTERIM coach, Rodney Terry has won 2 more March Madness games than Shaka won as HEAD coach in 5 years.

Charlie Strong and Shaka Smart have won the same number of March Madness games at Texas.
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

In 1 year as INTERIM coach, Rodney Terry has won 2 more March Madness games than Shaka won as HEAD coach in 5 years.

Charlie Strong and Shaka Smart have won the same number of March Madness games at Texas.

6 years*

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

No but has Terry won an NIT championship?  

Check and mate!!

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Beard built this team. I appreciate him for that. He took what would have been a 7-23 team last year if Shaka had stayed and turned them into something interesting thru the portal. I appreciate that too. I’m bummed about what might have been but he didn’t cause me misery as a fan for 6 years like Shaka. 

Your Horns haven't faced Beard yet.

You don't know what it's like to play against the guy who decided your program didn't matter enough.

You don't even have 6 months of evidence/ feelings yet, much less 6 years.  I'd love to see him hit rock bottom at Ole MIss.  That is very unlikely, given his past results.  We'll see.

28 minutes ago, slorch said:

Your Horns haven't faced Beard yet.

You don't know what it's like to play against the guy who decided your program didn't matter enough.

You don't even have 6 months of evidence/ feelings yet, much less 6 years.  I'd love to see him hit rock bottom at Ole MIss.  That is very unlikely, given his past results.  We'll see.

He will be cheered the first time he’s announced as UM coach at Moody.  

Count me in as not getting that sentiment. Beard is an alum and did more for this program in one season than Shaka did his entire time here. Beard's downfall was some personal demons. Shaka's downfall was being an incompetent loser.

Beard is more likely than not a piece of shit woman beater. He brought shame on the university and was terminated. That he’s an alum makes it worse.

And that he is more competent than Shaka is an additional kick in the balls as he is a legitimate threat to recruiting and titles. We’ll have to see our shame over and over again.

Meanwhile, Shaka will eventually fade into obscurity.
  • Hook 'Em 2

This.  good take.  Shaka had a great regular season, and he'll probably have a few more and ten years from now we'll be playing his next school in the tourney and we'll all wax historic for a page or two.  But that'll be it.  The kick in the nuts now that we're far removed from his tenure is I still cannot fucking believe we gave him an intra-contract extension.  Every time I think I'm past thinking about him...I remember that moronic move, and I love Mike Perrin.  

But our tango with Chris Beard, I'm afraid, is just getting started.  We're gonna see him multiple times over the next few years in the SEC.  Way the simulation is going, they'll be one of our first two-year cycle opponents.  and in the years they aren't, we'll meet them in the conference tourney.  And it's gonna be awkward as shit.  Texas will be looking at him wondering what coulda been, and he'll also wonder what coulda been.  In a weird way, I'll be wishing him great success at Ole Miss so he takes some East Coast powerhouse job and gets out of our life.  I hate to use "potential" and "good fit" with so many millions of dollars on the line. 

But Shaka got here, and I missed Barnes immediately.  But given Shaka's rising stock and the fact he ended up being a really good guy, I bought in a bit.  But it was just one comedy of errors after another with him.  But with Beard, the program and Beard were so fucking well positioned to move us up into the elite hoops programs of the nation.  We're still gonna get there, but there's gonna be more than a few speedbumps.  But I barely knew Beard's record other than that Virginia game.  But I went to his introductory press conference and was eavesdropping on some former players chatting about how excited they were to get back around the program and their energy was infectious.  And after that, I drive by Moody Center under construction, and then I was working in the courtyard at AT&T and just happened to glance in a window of one of the restaurants.  And there was Beard with a couple other guys shuffling printouts of players in varying uniform colors around a table like a depth chart.  I didn't think much of it, but later realized he was already building one of the great transfer rosters of all-time.  But it was there, it was all there.  All for the taking.  With Shaka, not so much.  But he'll do well at Marquette and beyond.  I doubt we ever think of much again.  

All that said, as of this Friday...Shaka and Beard never happened.  This team is playing for the man next to them and the letters on their chest.  This team is going back to Houston like a drunken Dean Martin.  

• Haha 1