Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

Yeah, I got nervous as shit when Penn State made that comeback.  I guess because for 15 years, we've been conditioned to fuck up games like that in the tourney.  But in hindsight, as you point out (pos rep), the team slowed the pace, grinded down Penn State, got to the line, and defense switched.  It was ugly, but glorious.  Like a FitLump inauguration.  

We're gonna need that same mindset with Xavier, like PSU but better (and with less kiddie rape).  Shaka probably would have lost to Penn State, and certainly wouldn't have a chance against Xavier or Houston.  But here we are.  Wish Shaka all the best, but we can close the books on him IMHO.  Our run is just getting started.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Shaka probably would have lost to Penn State

Ya think? He would've had all five starters on the outside chucking it up and going 3 for 24 on three's. Disu would've had 7 points on 3-3 shooting with an and-one and 10 floor slaps.

Sheeeiiiit.

Edited by gofuckyourself

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, I got nervous as shit when Penn State made that comeback.  I guess because for 15 years, we've been conditioned to fuck up games like that in the tourney.  But in hindsight, as you point out (pos rep), the team slowed the pace, grinded down Penn State, got to the line, and defense switched.  It was ugly, but glorious.  Like a FitLump inauguration.  

We're gonna need that same mindset with Xavier, like PSU but better (and with less kiddie rape).  Shaka probably would have lost to Penn State Colgate. and certainly wouldn't have a chance against Xavier or Houston.  But here we are.  Wish Shaka all the best, but we can close the books on him IMHO.  Our run is just getting started.

FIFY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, slorch said:

Your Horns haven't faced Beard yet.

You don't know what it's like to play against the guy who decided your program didn't matter enough.

Beard ain't that guy to Texas. Sure, you could argue his actions showed he didn't think enough of the program. But he didn't want to go. When he brings Ole Miss to Moody, everyone in the building will know which team he'd rather be coaching.

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

spacer.png

Well, I mean, you say the word, and then he shows up:

4 hours ago, The Dog said:

They still are excited as Shaka just gave them their first tourney win since 2013 when Buzz Williams was their coach. The guy Shaka replaced was even worse than Shaka as hard as that is to believe.

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

Hell, I thought WE were in danger of losing to Colgate. That game was sooooo much closer than the final score.  I kept waiting for the 3-point barrage to sink us (that would have come in years past).

Yeah, it was a real nail-biter as 20 point beat downs go. I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Marquette better enjoyed this season because it’s downhill from here until they figure out they hired a fraud.

Some of their fans I'm sure suspect it already, just as we did at a similar point. But so far, they're for the most part hoping/assuming it's just a matter of time until he breaks through with tourney success. Although at least a few fans now think he needs a sagely senior assistant. Say...what's Phil Jackson doing these days?

EB259516-955A-4B2C-8960-4E6E8BEA021C.thumb.jpeg.d766296968b98ffa2d6c3a620b800b95.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Some of their fans I'm sure suspect it already, just as we did at a similar point. But so far, they're for the most part hoping/assuming it's just a matter of time until he breaks through with tourney success. Although at least a few fans now think he needs a sagely senior assistant. Say...what's Phil Jackson doing these days?

EB259516-955A-4B2C-8960-4E6E8BEA021C.thumb.jpeg.d766296968b98ffa2d6c3a620b800b95.jpeg

that poster is easily the most level headed, reasonable marquette fan i've seen online. izzo onvioaily really likes shaka and has mentored him some. shaka would do well to reach out to izo for advice, but more than that, to find one of his current/former assistants who wants a new challenge.

shaka's two glaring flaws when he took the texas job were 1)his insistence on abandoning his unique style of play which was responsible for his success, something he was always up front and forthright about (seriously, who the fuck decided to have us hire this guy? fuck you steve patterson and co.), and 2)the fact that he brought all of his buddies with him to be his assistants. he didn't hire one serious/qualified assistant until darren horn, and he truly never came close to assembling a top flight staff at Texas (something beard did immediately). that dude will never break through where he currently is without some serious wisdom and input from a veteran coach who actually knows how to win. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

good Lord... that sounds so much like aggy talking about jimbo

• Like 1

When a HC's main contribution turns into being the "face of the program" rather than a master game planner, tactician or recruiter, you might legitimately ask if you're getting what you paid good money for. Sounds a bit like late-stage Mack, but without the big trophy. 

2 hours ago, WBT said:

At one point in the 2nd half they cut the lead to nine!  Nine!

Too lazy to go back and look at the game thread, but were all of y’all this confident when it was a 9 point game with almost 14 minutes left? We ended up winning by 20, but it never felt like a beatdown to me…

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

How long before they realize there is no "next level" with Shaka? This was his highest level and it's only downhill from here.

Edited by UTEE97

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

that poster is easily the most level headed, reasonable marquette fan i've seen online. izzo onvioaily really likes shaka and has mentored him some. shaka would do well to reach out to izo for advice, but more than that, to find one of his current/former assistants who wants a new challenge.

shaka's two glaring flaws when he took the texas job were 1)his insistence on abandoning his unique style of play which was responsible for his success, something he was always up front and forthright about (seriously, who the fuck decided to have us hire this guy? fuck you steve patterson and co.), and 2)the fact that he brought all of his buddies with him to be his assistants. he didn't hire one serious/qualified assistant until darren horn, and he truly never came close to assembling a top flight staff at Texas (something beard did immediately). that dude will never break through where he currently is without some serious wisdom and input from a veteran coach who actually knows how to win. 

It’s like I’’ve always said, if Shaka could just learn how to coach basketball, he could be a great basketball coach. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Marquette fans are largely rallying to Shaka's defense on twitter, bunch of dullards. They honestly believe Shaka was doomed to fail at Texas because he was "forced" to recruit one and done talent. The fraud lost 8 of his last 9 tourney games, he's nothing more than a clown living off a Cinderella run over a decade ago. He just won his first tourney game in a decade, he's not good. Marquette over-achieved this season with a schedule that wasn't charmin' soft, but it wasn't exactly rugged, either. I'll be shocked if he ever reaches the Sweet 16 with Marquette, his history dictates that he won't.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 6:15 AM, ClubWhatever said:

He will be cheered the first time he’s announced as UM coach at Moody.  

I imagine the student corral will be waving blown up pictures of his mug shot. Whether you agree or not, students trying to be wild and crazy will probably at least think of it.

Edited by TheBryMan81

16 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s like I’’ve always said, if Shaka could just learn how to coach basketball, he could be a great basketball coach. 

That post conveys a tone and tenor that is eerily similar to the "Keep Charlie Strong" crowd at the very end.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Rage+1 2

This thread is gold.

Screenshot_20230322_104348_Chrome.jpg.bb475eb1d23cd523be909558db8fee76.jpg

Screenshot_20230322_104236_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1cb9d15904b66c7b3580e3ec6d98b4c0.jpg

It shouldn't but it still astonishes me how much people hate Texas. Whoever is the 2nd most hated team across every sport isn't in the same stratosphere as Texas. And I feel like it didn't used to be that way - but maybe I'm wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This thread is gold.

Screenshot_20230322_104236_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1cb9d15904b66c7b3580e3ec6d98b4c0.jpg

It shouldn't but it still astonishes me how much people hate Texas. Whoever is the 2nd most hated team across every sport isn't in the same stratosphere as Texas. And I feel like it didn't used to be that way - but maybe I'm wrong. 

Yep, all those one and dones like Matt Coleman, A Jones, Febres, Ramey, Jericho, Kai Jones, etc ... I mean poor Shaka had nothing to do with the composition or coaching of that team. Finally now at Marquette his genius can shine through.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

The 2 threads I'm most proud of starting in my life are- Fire Shaka smart toward the end of his 2nd year at Texas when it was obvious to me he wasn't the guy and I was mocked and ridiculed by most (but not Derka and a few others) who just didn't see yet he was a clown, and this thread.  So, hating Shaka's inability to coach should always have you in good stead- that's the lesson today kiddos. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This thread is gold.

yes he is excellent at building a program that can compete in a mid major conference during the season.  that is it.   the Big 12 was too much of a meat grinder for him.

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Poor unlucky Shaka Smart and not his pure incompetence and inability to coach his team in the final minutes using basketball strategy.

Maybe we should go easy on poor Shaka. Not his fault that no-talent hacks like Bamba, Hayes, Sims and Jones all forced their way onto our roster under his watch. What's a coach to do when dealt such a bad hand? 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This thread is gold.

"ACU gets a couple of fluky calls"

That shitty team shouldn't have ever been close enough to have a couple of "fluky" calls make a difference. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

This thread is gold.

A marquette fan is referencing Texas there because its a discussion of Shaka, and that's where they hired Shaka from. If the coach they hired came from a different program, the average Marquette fan wouldnt give a shit about Texas. And I know that because i still keep in touch with about 10 Marquette grads. 3 years ago, they didnt give a fuck about Texas one way or the other, just like we dont give a fuck about Marquette.

You actually believe that the average college basketball fan hates Texas more than Duke, and to such a degree that their hate for us is in a different stratosphere? How bout Kentucky? Please.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Blotto said:

You actually believe that the average college basketball fan hates Texas more than Duke, and to such a degree that their hate for us is in a different stratosphere? How bout Kentucky? Please.

I'm not talking specifically basketball but holistically across every sport. No one hates Duke or Kentucky football. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

This thread is gold.

In 1954, an Extraterrestrial Bruiser Shocked This Alabama Woman | At the Smithsonian| Smithsonian Magazine

On November 30, 1954, Ann Hodges experienced a rude awakening. As the 34-year-old lay napping cozily under quilts on the sofa in her Alabama home, she awoke with a jolt as she became the only human being known to have suffered an injury after being struck by a meteorite.

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2023 at 4:07 PM, HookEm said:

When you are playing the top 3-point shooting team, 9 points feels close AF.  I was having flashbacks of all the past failures. 

The thing about being "the top 3-point shooting team" is that it's a lot more difficult to shoot 3's when someone is in your face 99% of the time. When you play lesser competition for 30 games you don't have to worry about that, but the guards that UT has this year they're going to make the shooters earn it making it more difficult to get separation & then running them off the line when they do find a little space. Same thing with Funk at PSU. He made everything vs a&m because he was wide open for much of the first half. By the time he got a few good looks vs UT he was so out of rhythm he couldn't make them.