Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The 2 threads I'm most proud of starting in my life are- Fire Shaka smart toward the end of his 2nd year at Texas when it was obvious to me he wasn't the guy and I was mocked and ridiculed by most (but not Derka and a few others) who just didn't see yet he was a clown, and this thread.  So, hating Shaka's inability to coach should always have you in good stead- that's the lesson today kiddos. 

Let's think about this for a minute. I would rank a number of Wulaw threads above the Fire Shaka thread. That kind of shit is generic, even if you did it early.

-There's the "I think Steve Sarkisian Is Amazing and Would Like To Have Buttsex with Him" thread.

-The thread where you fucking crashed an RV into a bridge during a cross country road trip is an all time unintentional comedy thread. Holy shit.

-I haven't read it yet, but the thread about getting your stomach stapled has to be awesome as well. 

Give yourself some credit, sir.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Let's think about this for a minute. I would rank a number of Wulaw threads above the Fire Shaka thread. That kind of shit is generic, even if you did it early.

-There's the "I think Steve Sarkisian Is Amazing and Would Like To Have Buttsex with Him" thread.

-The thread where you fucking crashed an RV into a bridge during a cross country road trip is an all time unintentional comedy thread. Holy shit.

-I haven't read it yet, but the thread about getting your stomach stapled has to be awesome as well. 

Give yourself some credit, sir.

I was 3 years earlier than anyone else sir on the Fire Shaka thread.  I'm 1 year early on the I would like to have buttsex with Sark thread.  After we go to the playoffs this year I can point and laugh at all the haters.  

Also, I absolutely started the RV thread knowing that dipshittery would happen- so that wasn't unintentional comedy I knew something interesting would happen. Didn't think it was going to be that much of something, but, well, that's life. Some people are an example and shining beacon for others and some are a cautionary tale.  I'm fine with either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/21/2023 at 10:27 AM, longhornmatt said:

Shaka only had one freshman on the whole team, and a boatload of 4 year players, on his last Texas team which lost to Abilene Christian's squad of carnies and midgets who shot 29% from the field.    He never even had more than one "one-and-done" player at a time here.  It wasn't like Calipari replacing the whole team every year.

What a lazy take.  Then again, fans say lots of crazy shit when they get to the stage where they ponder, "What if we just hired an amazing assistant coach to take over all of the head coaching responsibilities and let Shaka focus on other things?"

Sounds so eerily like "HCIW"

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I'm not talking specifically basketball but holistically across every sport. No one hates Duke or Kentucky football. 

I agree with your take and don’t even think it’s close. I’m in my mid to late 20s and have spent a lot of my time outside of the state besides college, and hating Texas just seems like the cool thing to do for people my generation and younger. Even by fans of teams we have no association with. We all saw those ECU fucks displaying this for three days during the Super Regional. Now I’ve been seeing Xavier fans giddy about getting their chance. I’m not sure exactly when it started to ramp up. From my experience, it partially stems from people who hate the state of Texas in general for whatever reason, which I’ve come across in multiple states from Oregon to Michigan.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

I agree with your take and don’t even think it’s close. I’m in my mid to late 20s and have spent a lot of my time outside of the state besides college, and hating Texas just seems like the cool thing to do for people my generation and younger. Even by fans of teams we have no association with. We all saw those ECU fucks displaying this for three days during the Super Regional. Now I’ve been seeing Xavier fans giddy about getting their chance. I’m not sure exactly when it started to ramp up. From my experience, it partially stems from people who hate the state of Texas in general for whatever reason, which I’ve come across in multiple states from Oregon to Michigan.

We as a university represent the state of Texas in people's collective minds in a way that aggy or Tech or UH doesn't.  In many people's minds the State of Texas represents team Red and California represents team Blue.  So, that's some of it for half the country right there.  And amongst team red we are disliked b/c we are the richest and amongst the most arrogant school in the area.  So- it's enough to get everyone hating us.  That's my take- could be wrong.  

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We as a university represent the state of Texas in people's collective minds in a way that aggy or Tech or UH doesn't.  In many people's minds the State of Texas represents team Red and California represents team Blue.  So, that's some of it for half the country right there.  And amongst team red we are disliked b/c we are the richest and amongst the most arrogant school in the area.  So- it's enough to get everyone hating us.  That's my take- could be wrong.  

I think this is one part of it and you’ve accurately framed it. Surface level shit for morons in various parts of the country leads to the emotion of rooting against Texas because … politics. The juxtaposition of that and the university’s and city of Austin’s overall politics is rich. 

That considered, I think there are plenty of other elements.

The brand is massive. That irritates people and inspires some level of jealousy at times.

There’s the view that we’re kind of like the Yankees or Cowboys in that we have a big brand and rich history, but these days, Texas does nothing to deserve the coverage or respect it gets in different sports. Never mind the Director’s Cups and success in non-revenue sports, of course.

There’s also the notion that it’s just fun to root for the underdog, and irrespective of the actual spread, whoever is playing Texas is almost always the underdog.

Then there are groups who really do see Texas as a rival even though we don’t see it that way.

Add in the bullshit about conference realignment and you have a potent cocktail for plenty of hate.

Notre Dame, at least ND if not a few others, has to deal with all of the same bullshit for the same reasons (even their stance on being in a conference is a parallel for our conference disdain). 

I love it, frankly. I’m always entertained by people offline and on this site who let it bother them. We’re always going to be either Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader. We have a huge following that sees Texas as the good guy, but fuck the rest of the rooting world if they can’t take a joke. Embrace the hate. 

• Hook 'Em 4

There's evidently a thin line between arrogance and pride. What we call the latter is what our many haters know as the former.

I grew up near Austin and have my degree from UT, but I've now lived in Georgia for 39 years. Even the native sons and daughters of Georgia lack the state pride I still feel and show for Texas. When they "argue" football with Bama, Florida or Tennessee fans, I don't sense true hatred the way I do with OU, A&M or Tech bashing Texas. Of course, I despise the whole "SEC" lovefest they all engage in and have assured them I don't feel that way. l have zero reason to want anyone else in the SEC to win anything in any sport...and so it shall remain. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think this is one part of it and you’ve accurately framed it. Surface level shit for morons in various parts of the country leads to the emotion of rooting against Texas because … politics. The juxtaposition of that and the university’s and city of Austin’s overall politics is rich. 

That considered, I think there are plenty of other elements.

The brand is massive. That irritates people and inspires some level of jealousy at times.

There’s the view that we’re kind of like the Yankees or Cowboys in that we have a big brand and rich history, but these days, Texas does nothing to deserve the coverage or respect it gets in different sports. Never mind the Director’s Cups and success in non-revenue sports, of course.

There’s also the notion that it’s just fun to root for the underdog, and irrespective of the actual spread, whoever is playing Texas is almost always the underdog.

Then there are groups who really do see Texas as a rival even though we don’t see it that way.

Add in the bullshit about conference realignment and you have a potent cocktail for plenty of hate.

Notre Dame, at least ND if not a few others, has to deal with all of the same bullshit for the same reasons (even their stance on being in a conference is a parallel for our conference disdain). 

I love it, frankly. I’m always entertained by people offline and on this site who let it bother them. We’re always going to be either Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader. We have a huge following that sees Texas as the good guy, but fuck the rest of the rooting world if they can’t take a joke. Embrace the hate. 

Agree with every single one of your points.  I think the politics is the top of the list and bullshit about conference realignment is at the bottom of the list and everything else slots in-between but everything there is true and accurate.  I'm talking about "turning off the most people".  For an ISU fan that hates us obviously conference realignment is tops.  For someone at aggy that hates us obviously it's the rivalry that is their number 1 source of hate.  For Ohio state it's probably a combination of our money and prestige and feeling like we haven't earned what we've gotten in the same way that they have on the field in the last decade.  Alabama is going to hate us when we money whip their ass and they don't control all the kids up for auction and we turn them into Alabraska.  The fact is that there are a lot of things about us that inspire hate- so there is enough to go around for everyone, which is cool I guess.  

And yeah- the people hating us over politics from the blue side is funny when you consider the local and university politics at play.  The fact that people on the red team who understand the local and university politics and hate us b/c of that exist is just funny if you embrace being the bad guy or infuriating if you want to know why we can't all get along/ why can't we be friends.

2 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

i went to omaha in 2004 for the CWS. first stop in Omaha was to a grocery store to grab a few things. my buddy and i are wearing UT caps, and two locals see us, look at us like this:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7ikfioiukp0w1pbsqup

and say, "fucking Texas." before walking off. people hate Texas in a way that ND, Bama, tOSU, Duke, etc don't compare to, at all.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Embrace the hate.

image.gif.55907c42f5f4aa39d0bff8d3e8a0572a.gif

We are always relevant.

20 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

There's evidently a thin line between arrogance and pride.

image.gif.8ec738a76dd5f0873ab6c2aef9c3944f.gif

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

bullshit about conference realignment is at the bottom of the list

Unless you're from Nebraska or aggy. Then, it's an obsession.

also, back to pointing and laughing at shaka, i found some old screenshots that have made me LOL, starting off with some classic greggym:

9754DD04-7B37-4BFE-B266-69AD1D73BC1E.thumb.jpeg.78b141c8b92217275baea76a5692929a.jpeg

02292063-BF16-419F-A912-FCE8140946A2.thumb.jpeg.969035ad6deb1b9c6ac0d93fe94afe2c.jpeg

737DEE0C-98D6-4F87-8C8A-94B9F3832538.thumb.jpeg.36ccb9473c962114ef58ea298cb89be2.jpeg

4C299A52-41F0-4341-8389-7501A51F07B7.thumb.jpeg.0daba004109bf9533ea95afcbd0ed03f.jpeg

7E6B9EBB-505A-44E0-A76B-9FB032BC3CB7.thumb.jpeg.43ba6753da247eb4e6ed92236341a8fe.jpeg

this stuff is from 2017. it's 2023 and the prevailing sentiment from 99% of college basketball people, from the most casual fans to the pundits on tv still believe that shaka smart is a great coach who's had bad luck and who was unfairly treated by Texas, who in effect forced him to fail. it's amazing. can't wait to see how he fails next.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this stuff is from 2017. it's 2023 and the prevailing sentiment from 99% of college basketball people, from the most casual fans to the pundits on tv still believe that shaka smart is a great coach who's had bad luck and who was unfairly treated by Texas, who in effect forced him to fail. it's amazing. can't wait to see how he fails next.

I remember the same for Mackovic and then his next team mutineed.  And even for Charlie Strong at USF.  It's all a proxy for the envy.  We're Texas.  They're not.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

also, back to pointing and laughing at shaka, i found some old screenshots that have made me LOL, starting off with some classic greggym:

9754DD04-7B37-4BFE-B266-69AD1D73BC1E.thumb.jpeg.78b141c8b92217275baea76a5692929a.jpeg

02292063-BF16-419F-A912-FCE8140946A2.thumb.jpeg.969035ad6deb1b9c6ac0d93fe94afe2c.jpeg

737DEE0C-98D6-4F87-8C8A-94B9F3832538.thumb.jpeg.36ccb9473c962114ef58ea298cb89be2.jpeg

4C299A52-41F0-4341-8389-7501A51F07B7.thumb.jpeg.0daba004109bf9533ea95afcbd0ed03f.jpeg

7E6B9EBB-505A-44E0-A76B-9FB032BC3CB7.thumb.jpeg.43ba6753da247eb4e6ed92236341a8fe.jpeg

The two posts I got the most hate for on the basketball board shows how dumb so many of our fans are- it was fire Shaka in year 2 (and I'm not a reactionary fire the guy person unless/until it's obvious they are in over their head), and my post in 2011 saying the Lebron was the focal point of the league and a shitload of nitwits were too dumb to see that b/c they are really dumb.  

I forgot all about Camelback- he's a special kind of stupid. Greggym's position is you can't fairly judge a coach until he's got 2 decades in place at his school then you can maybe start to come to a few conclusions.  Did you know Coach K sucked thru 5 years smart guy?  Huh?  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The two posts I got the most hate for on the basketball board shows how dumb so many of our fans are- it was fire Shaka in year 2 (and I'm not a reactionary fire the guy person unless/until it's obvious they are in over their head), and my post in 2011 saying the Lebron was the focal point of the league and a shitload of nitwits were too dumb to see that b/c they are really dumb.  

I forgot all about Camelback- he's a special kind of stupid. Greggym's position is you can't fairly judge a coach until he's got 2 decades in place at his school then you can maybe start to come to a few conclusions.  Did you know Coach K sucked thru 5 years smart guy?  Huh?  

Some of it is being dumb. But some of it is just human nature. There's a certain segment who wants to be supportive of the status quo, whatever the status quo is. It's not so much that they're sheeple. It's more they want to cheer, not to boo. They feel like part of the role of being a fan is to be optimistic about what might occur, and to see positives in what is going on. And frankly, we need people like that to function as a society. Get too many and it's not good. But get too many people who constantly want to burn things down and it's not good, either. 

And remember, on any forum the people who post are heavily outnumbered by the people who simply read. That includes surly. So the ones who are posting are generally the most motivated to have their view expressed, which means people who are strongly against whatever is going on, along with people who are strongly supportive.

But none of that is important. The most important thing is that you were very right and get to say I told you so as often and as repeatedly as you care to. And I'm here to be supportive of you in that endeavor. Fuck that guy. So happy he's at Marquette now. So happy I get to watch him perform breathing exercises at the under 4 minute timeout for someone else. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i went to omaha in 2004 for the CWS. first stop in Omaha was to a grocery store to grab a few things. my buddy and i are wearing UT caps, and two locals see us, look at us like this:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7ikfioiukp0w1pbsqup

and say, "fucking Texas." before walking off. people hate Texas in a way that ND, Bama, tOSU, Duke, etc don't compare to, at all.

That's a little self-selected because of CWS.  Go to Madison or Gainesville, etc. and nobody will give a shit about a UT cap.

27 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's a little self-selected because of CWS.  Go to Madison or Gainesville, etc. and nobody will give a shit about a UT cap.

That's because we're not in the SEC yet. Those Florida fans will learn. 

Nebraskans have a hate for Texas that goes well beyond CWS, btw. We don't see it in football much any more because both programs have struggled with relevancy, but in volleyball you see it all the time. 

3 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

That is somewhat true, but also there’s just nothing out there like horns down.

Basically we did so well at creating a hand sign that its inverse works better as a hand sign than anything our opponents could come up with.

I feel the aggy gig 'em sign is pretty good. It perfectly represents the thumb they have up their ass.

27 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

That's because we're not in the SEC yet. Those Florida fans will learn. 

Nebraskans have a hate for Texas that goes well beyond CWS, btw. We don't see it in football much any more because both programs have struggled with relevancy, but in volleyball you see it all the time. 

They really do. Most of my family is from Nebraska and it’s hilariously pathetic. I watched the ‘09 Big 12 Championship with all of them. I was a fucking teenager celebrating a last second kick for a conference title and berth in the national championship, and my uncle’s wife cussed me out and finished with “I hope you’re happy.” All I said was “ Of course I am.” Especially because they had been shitting on me since the moment they locked up their division. They hated us before that game obviously, but the one second being put back on the clock will haunt them forever. They completely disregard the fact that the ball hit the sideline with a second left, claiming a BCS conspiracy just like Pelini. Sure wish the BCS had conspired for us in ‘08.

Even with that amazing moment, the 2010 victory was the sweetest for me because they were just so confident they would get the last laugh against us before running off to the Big 10. Corn aggy.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

That is somewhat true, but also there’s just nothing out there like horns down.

Basically we did so well at creating a hand sign that its inverse works better as a hand sign than anything our opponents could come up with.

What impresses me most is how opposing fans can get their extended fingers to point downward while their knuckles are dragging.  

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

That 2010 Nebraska game was glorious, and pretty much the closest thing to destiny that you’ll see in sports.  Gilbert was 4/16 for 62 yards passing, and we still won anyway as Nebraska literally dropped like 4 TD passes and had a comedy of errors in every way imaginable.  

That was the story of that series. Nebraska snatching defeat from the jaws of victory over and over again. The '96 inaugural championship game, "maybe we'll beat them by 21 points!" Roll left. 

Breaking their long home winning streak in '98 with Ricky Williams. The last time Nebraska fans ever gave a Longhorn a standing ovation. The '99 game in Austin where they fumbled the ball inside the red zone over and over. The 2002 game that broke another home winning streak with a couple of missed field goals and throwing an interception from the Texas 13 yard line with 10 seconds to play rather than kick the field goal to tie it. 

2006 where Nebraska had the game wrapped up gaining a first down until Aaron Ross caused the fumble which allowed Texas to drive down for Ryan Bailey's game winning kick. Jamaal Charles going absolutely apeshit in the fourth quarter in 2007.

Nebraska went 1-9 in Big 12 play against UT, many of those years at a time when they were the top football program in the country. 

Add to that Nebraska felt like Texas just came in and took over. The SWC commissioner was named the new Big 12 commissioner. The league offices were moved from Kansas City to Dallas. The league held a championship game over Nebraska's objections. The league banned partial qualifiers. There was a lingering bitterness towards Texas from fans that weren't even around from stories passed down from older generations. It's basically a meme at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

That 2010 Nebraska game was glorious, and pretty much the closest thing to destiny that you’ll see in sports.  Gilbert was 4/16 for 62 yards passing, and we still won anyway as Nebraska literally dropped like 4 TD passes and had a comedy of errors in every way imaginable.  

There was no way they were losing that game after that kickass hype video they produced for that game...

Thinking About It Oh No GIF

• 2 weeks later...

shaka smart reminds me of my time working in west austin, where everything is flash over substance, where what's trendy is all that matters. people have been tripping over their dicks for more than a decade to exclaim what a great coach shaka smart is, as if his statistical and empirical track record does not irrefutably prove otherwise. people cannot wait to just gush over the amazingness of this completely average-but-flashy coach. he's like myer's hand soap, p terry's, or kendra scott jewelry- everyone loves to act like he's just the most amazing thing out there, but i can go buy HEB's generic version of all of these things and it will still be just as good.

it doesn't really matter what he does, the college basketball community (nearly) as a whole will still love to sit around and nod in agreement as they all talk about what a fantastic coach he is, despite all evidence to the contrary. it would be very annoying if it wasn't so entertaining to watch him fail spectacularly year after year.

Edited by shadow_operative

On 3/31/2023 at 1:10 PM, shadow_operative said:

shaka smart reminds me of my time working in west austin, where everything is flash over substance, where what's trendy is all that matters. people have been tripping over their dicks for more than a decade to exclaim what a great coach shaka smart is, as if his statistical and empirical track record does not irrefutably prove otherwise. people cannot wait to just gush over the amazingness of this completely average-but-flashy coach. he's like myer's hand soap, p terry's, or kendra scott jewelry- everyone loves to act like he's just the most amazing thing out there, but i can go buy HEB's generic version of all of these things and it will still be just as good.

it doesn't really matter what he does, the college basketball community (nearly) as a whole will still love to sit around and nod in agreement as they all talk about what a fantastic coach he is, despite all evidence to the contrary. it would be very annoying if it wasn't so entertaining to watch him fail spectacularly year after year.

The college basketball media doesn't want to acknowledge that he had to get out of the Big 12 because his reputation was on life support.   He was getting outcoached consistently.  He'll win 65% or so of his games in the Big East.  It is overall harder than the A10 but easier than the Big 12. He'll make the tournament 4 out of 5 years if I had to guess.

It was funny to see the marquette fans saying they needed to look for an experienced assistant coach to help him.  yeah, very good recruiter, 5th in the big 12 kind of coach.

In fact, he'd be a fantastic assistant coach.

13 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

The college basketball media doesn't want to acknowledge that he had to get out of the Big 12 because his reputation was on life support.   He was getting outcoached consistently.  He'll win 65% or so of his games in the Big East.  It is overall harder than the A10 but easier than the Big 12. He'll make the tournament 4 out of 5 years if I had to guess.

It was funny to see the marquette fans saying they needed to look for an experienced assistant coach to help him.  yeah, very good recruiter, 5th in the big 12 kind of coach.

In fact, he'd be a fantastic assistant coach.

This. He’s such a nice, upstanding man that it had to be big bad Texas and not his total inability to coach at Texas/in the Big 12….

ha! The Shaka lovefest continues.  Oh boy, Marquette really is stuck with him for an extra year now, aren't they?  So, the next thing is for an extension and it never ends.  One thing to consider, he will be their coach longer than he was ours, I predict.  

43 minutes ago, Js1 said:

3 years in a row, Texas versus a previous coach lol

That's pretty fucking crazy actually, somebody in scheduling at ESPN obviously meant this.  Barnes in Knoxville.  Smart in Milwaukee.  I'm sure we'll play at Ole Miss in 2024.  

Maybe Penders will come back to George Washington and we can face off with them.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

How on earth does a second round upset to a team 5 seeds lower get you a national coach of the year award?

Yay, the best coach in the country took his team all the way to the final 32!  What a run!  And now he's won one tournament game in the last 10 years!  Isn't he amazing??

• 7 months later...

if i weren’t so happy with where Texas currently is i’d be pretty peeved at the fact that marquette is 12th in the country in avg possession length. a reminder of some of shaka's offenses at Texas:

2016: 235th nationally in avg possession length 

2017: 137th 

2018: 252nd

2019: 284th

2020: 271st

oof. man i cannot wait to play marquette. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Rage+1 1

I will never... NEVER... understand why Shaka abandoned everything that made him successful as soon as he got to Texas. Everything was set up for him to be so successful here.  He could run Havoc with Texas-level recruits - something every fan wanted to see. Nope.

Occasionally we would get behind and start pressing and everything would open up.  It was beautiful.  Just a small taste of what could be.  Then like a fart in the wind it was gone.  We would grind things back down again and lose.  FFFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffffff.

• Rage+1 3