Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

2 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

So for the non basketball junkies on here like me, what the hell happened in that VCU final four run?  Did some VCU guard start hitting 80% from 3s for 4 games while each opponent lost their star to injury? 

I can't fathom how shaka made the final four with a small school.  It's like me banging Salma Hayek, theoretically possible but still mind bottling (sic).

Every now and then the tournament will have a WTF team make it. That VCU team while decent was definitely a WTF team. 

2 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Every now and then the tournament will have a WTF team make it. That VCU team while decent was definitely a WTF team. 

This. VCU was the first First Four team to make a big unexpected run.  UCLA did it last year.  Think about teams like Loyola Chicago recently too. 

It's what makes March incredible. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If he did, I bet it would be titled something like "What you do or do not do in March does not define your career" or some shit.   With a paragraph about how an NCAA Runner-Up finish at Texas fucking Tech doesn't make you a great coach if your offense is boring to watch. 

I read @Bitterwhiteguy regularly for years, and he never once directed a pointed criticism toward Shaka or his staff. His "Good, Bad, Ugly" segment never mentioned Shaka in the "bad" or "ugly." It was always about the team or individual players. At some point it became a game for me, wondering if Shaka would ever catch a modicum of heat for any one of his slew of humiliating losses or bad seasons. He only sort of critiqued Shaka's job performance once when, in year six, he finally gently suggested that his spreadsheets are saying it's time for Shaka and Texas to break up. BWG didn't even have a single critical thing to say about the coach after the worst loss in program history. 

Now? Ho boy! Open season, baby! Shots at the staff left and right, like this from his MM preview:

I also don't think Marcus Carr was as bad as some others do; he missed some shots and the ball sticks with him (as it has most of the year) but he's also being put into a bad situation by an inflexible coaching staff.

He also focuses quite a bit on "How Texas loses" bits. His 2022 MM preview features an entire segment titled, "The Outline of a Texas Defeat." Out of curiosity I pulled up his 2021 MM preview, and did not find any detailed outlines on how Texas could lose to ACU. Point being he seems to spend a lot more time thinking about Texas losses these days.

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I'm fully confident in Shaka's ability. I mean his ability to have this record of futility all to himself. Marquette needs to get a banner ready for the day it happens.

I know seeding is an inexact process. But man...a 9 should never lose to an 8 that badly. For that matter, perhaps no team other than a 16 has any reasonable excuse to take such a drubbing in the tourney.

Edited by Gut Wagon

I will cut Shaka a tiny bit of slack in that I think Carolina has been playing well of late and if they get going they can hurt somebody. 

But MU also gave up 58 points in second half to lowly DePaul a couple weeks ago. Their wheels have been off for a while. 

Hes a fraud and they won't be patient about that at Marquette. Those people are serious about basketball. 

20 minutes ago, bullzak said:

Hes a fraud and they won't be patient about that at Marquette. Those people are serious about basketball. 

If Marquette was that serious about basketball it wouldn't have hired Smart to begin with. 

Your success as a college basketball coach is measured by how you do in the NCAA Tournament. We all know Smart has failed miserably in that respect. If Marquette was too dumb to google his tournament record then I have no sympathy for the school.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

They let Wojo coach there for 7 years, and then hired Shaka Smart, so I would question how serious they are about basketball.

well yeah, but they don't have anything else to be serious about so it's all relative.  I'll leave the bit about Texas/Football and HC hiring alone...

Just now, Wally Pryor said:

If Marquette was that serious about basketball it wouldn't have hired Smart to begin with. 

Your success as a college basketball coach is measured by how you do in the NCAA Tournament. We all know Smart has failed miserably in that respect. If Marquette was too dumb to google his tournament record then I have no sympathy for the school.

they did google it and saw "Final Four" on the wiki, just like Steve Patterson did.

THey should force Shaka to hire Will Wade.  Shaka can recruit and Wade can just coach.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

they did google it and saw "Final Four" on the wiki, just like Steve Patterson did.

THey should force Shaka to hire Will Wade.  Shaka can recruit and Wade can just coach.

Marquette had six subsequent years to look at. I'll never give Patterson much of a hall pass though as I'd like to run over him in a car if given the opportunity. 

1 minute ago, Wally Pryor said:

Marquette had six subsequent years to look at. I'll never give Patterson much of a hall pass though as I'd like to run over him in a car if given the opportunity. 

that was my point, they stopped at "final four" just like we did.

20 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

well yeah, but they don't have anything else to be serious about so it's all relative.  I'll leave the bit about Texas/Football and HC hiring alone...

Texas hired two chumps with very few skins on the wall.  One lasted 3 years, the other 4 years.

Marquette hired a guy that shared a bench with Coach K for many years, but had no skins otherwise.  After 7 years, he was dumped for a guy with a miracle Final 4 appearance a decade ago, but who hadn't won a single NCAA tournament game since.  While recruiting and coaching at a power conference basketball school with, albeit not the resources of a bball blue blood, but enough to build off what Barnes created.

These are not the same things.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Wow.  Just read about that 2014 SFA game.

VCU was up 4, at the line for 2, with 7 seconds left and lost.

VCU missed both FTs, then fouled a 3 pt shooter with 3 seconds left.  

And we hired this guy?

Even worse.  We kept him for 6 years.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, Chad said:

If Shaka was coaching this game today Texas would've been in VA Tech's shoes, good riddance. Shaka failed to win a post season game in six years, Beard did it in one.

There is zero chance Shaka Smart wins that game today against VTech. Zero.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Honestly?  I’ve been giggling all day whenever I think of yesterday. It’s amazing.  The NCAA tourney has been my first love since I was 5 years old. That son of a bitch ruining it for me for over half a decade makes me want to watch him fail forever. 

No offense to shadow_operative, but Barnes spent 7 years before that making my life miserable as well. Not as miserable as Shaka, mind you. 

Honestly, it’s just nice to see Texas come out swinging on the basketball hire. I read yesterday that Beard is like the 7th or 8th highest paid coach in the country. They need to make a big dick energy hire in football. Maybe next time. Hell, Mack Brown was that kind of hire, but he’s really the only one since Dana X. Bible. 

I know some people on this board talk about how miserable they’ve been watching Texas play this year, and while everyone is entitled to their opinion, it’s been such a breath of fresh air to me. 

Unfortunately, in this day and age, all that matters is the tournament. But having Beard win against EXACTLY the kind of team Shaka would have lost to cements things. 

Purdue is a terrible matchup, but we’ll see what happens. They’re also a terrible defensive team, so maybe Texas can take advantage of that. 

I’m so excited to see what Beard can do in the off-season about upgrading the talent. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

No offense to shadow_operative, but Barnes spent 7 years before that making my life miserable as well. Not as miserable as Shaka, mind you. 

Honestly, it’s just nice to see Texas come out swinging on the basketball hire. I read yesterday that Beard is like the 7th or 8th highest paid coach in the country. They need to make a big dick energy hire in football. Maybe next time. Hell, Mack Brown was that kind of hire, but he’s really the only one since Dana X. Bible. 

I know some people on this board talk about how miserable they’ve been watching Texas play this year, and while everyone is entitled to their opinion, it’s been such a breath of fresh air to me. 

Unfortunately, in this day and age, all that matters is the tournament. But having Beard win against EXACTLY the kind of team Shaka would have lost to cements things. 

Purdue is a terrible matchup, but we’ll see what happens. They’re also a terrible defensive team, so maybe Texas can take advantage of that. 

I’m so excited to see what Beard can do in the off-season about upgrading the talent. 

Shaka made it much worse than Barnes, but yeah- that end stretch for him wasn’t fun either. 

7 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Wow.  Just read about that 2014 SFA game.

VCU was up 4, at the line for 2, with 7 seconds left and lost.

VCU missed both FTs, then fouled a 3 pt shooter with 3 seconds left.  

And we hired this guy?

Was at this game (I go to every SFA tourney game). It was glorious. Not as fun as that WVU asskicking but damn it was great. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

This is the big pint to me. I know we haven’t heard a lot of rumblings about transfers and we have to wait to see who returns, but we’re probably taking at least 4 transfers in addition to the 3 HS guys this offseason. It could be a massive infusion of talent that hopefully meshes better than this year and has a much higher ceiling. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/2/2022 at 10:20 PM, Hookem2147 said:

No coach had mastered the early season big win to raise expectations like Shaka Smart. Literally every year. North Carolina calls Shaka daddy during the month of December.

This post two weeks ago was pretty ironical (sic), given that Shaka ended up playing UNC in March.

The December Lion once again turns into a March Lamb.

• Like 1