Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I can’t believe this guy is doing what he’s doing, doing what he did before he came to Texas and stopped doing at Texas, then started doing again. WTF?

The 3 versus 14 loss is going to be hilarious though. No one from Marquette will expect it and we’ll be watching like

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/21/2023 at 11:27 PM, Valmy77 said:

Well good for him.

Agreed. I wish him no ill will.

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I can’t believe this guy is doing what he’s doing, doing what he did before he came to Texas and stopped doing at Texas, then started doing again. WTF?

It's truly incomprehensible

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I don’t think Marquette plays Havoc.  They just have good, smart basketball players.  

My friends son is a Marquette student and he said Shaka rolled it out there. Don’t know how much. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

My friends son is a Marquette student and he said Shaka rolled it out there. Don’t know how much. 

I’ve watched a few of their games.  My impression was that he presses about as much as he did here.  What he has that’s different is a level of basketball skill that he did not have here.   Dribbling shooting passing.  The white guard they have is better than any guard he had here.  

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:16 PM, shadow_operative said:

check out his adjusted tempo at his three schools:

738EB3AA-D2FE-4525-8A45-95D1E21C8F91.thumb.jpeg.996657593a57286cb65476cf2236ac91.jpeg

regularly in the 300's in terms of pace at Texas. this year's marquette team is 12th nationally in average possession length at 15.5 seconds per possession. 

remember this^^^. and he's got his team down to 15.1 seconds per possession now. he might not be playing full on havoc, but he's absolutely gone back to his roots after six years of refusing to play this way at Texas. fuck shaka, and fuck steve patterson. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I’ve watched a few of their games.  My impression was that he presses about as much as he did here.  What he has that’s different is a level of basketball skill that he did not have here.   Dribbling shooting passing.  The white guard they have is better than any guard he had here.  

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

remember this^^^. and he's got his team down to 15.1 seconds per possession now. he might not be playing full on havoc, but he's absolutely gone back to his roots after six years of refusing to play this way at Texas. fuck shaka, and fuck steve patterson. 

Exactly. That's a huge difference. Pushing the pace allows for easy baskets. Shaka essentially played with one arm tied behind his back by playing at such a slow pace with the athletes he had here. Despite what everyone said while he was here there was nothing structurally wrong the offensive design, open lane, sets he ran while here. What hurt our consistency is we didn't push the pace or drive to the basket nearly enough so when the offensive and 3pt lulls inevitably came there weren't enough easy baskets to compensate for it. Not to mention easy baskets are good for a shooter's psychology and often helps to limit those lulls. I haven't checked where his Marquette teams rate, but the Shaka Longhorns were also remarkably inept at getting to the FT line which is another thing his teams were hamstrung by here. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

It was annoying to hear Dick Vitale talk about how "good guy" Shaka Smart was not liked by Texas brass.  Well dumbass, maybe it is because he adopted a new, boring, unpopular system the second he got here instead of the fun system he was running at VCU.  And maybe he is having success again because he is back to playing the type of basketball that made him successful in the first place.

I'm calling it now.  We will be the #2 seed and Marquette will be the #3 seed in either the South or East regional.  And maybe Tennessee will be the #4 seed for good measure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 3/4/2023 at 7:50 PM, HookEm said:

I'm calling it now.  We will be the #2 seed and Marquette will be the #3 seed in either the South or East regional.  And maybe Tennessee will be the #4 seed for good measure.

And we get to choose between:

losing to shaka or barnes.

or

beating shaka and barnes in a final 4 run and being stuck with Terry 

3 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

And we get to choose between:

losing to shaka or barnes.

or

beating shaka and barnes in a final 4 run and being stuck with Terry 

That implies neither gets upset early, which is very very likely. We know them

• Hook 'Em 2

So did John Thompson III. That ain't your Grandpa's Big East of legends.

I'll continue to point and laugh at the guy who couldn't do jack shit with incredible resources and minimal expectations. He can win all he wants in a 3rd tier Big East. When given the chance to excel in the top conference in his sport, he failed miserably and repeatedly. I will continue to point and laugh at his self-inflicted failure while at Texas. He had the world in his palm and he took a piss on it before scurrying back to the fringes. He was given a Ferrari and he drove it directly into the front of a building. If you ain't pointing and laughing, you ain't paying attention.

• Hook 'Em 6

20 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

So did John Thompson III. That ain't your Grandpa's Big East of legends.

I'll continue to point and laugh at the guy who couldn't do jack shit with incredible resources and minimal expectations. He can win all he wants in a 3rd tier Big East. When given the chance to excel in the top conference in his sport, he failed miserably and repeatedly. I will continue to point and laugh at his self-inflicted failure while at Texas. He had the world in his palm and he took a piss on it before scurrying back to the fringes. He was given a Ferrari and he drove it directly into the front of a building. If you ain't pointing and laughing, you ain't paying attention.

I feel bad for your exes

Reminds me of his days at Texas… undisciplined, excessive 3 point shooting and players driving the lane giving up layups, dunks, and easily drawn fouls in order to kick it out for a rushed 3 point shot … St. John’s coach had his team coached up to play those kick outs in the first half but his team is playing too wild this half

Oh wow, this is a new one- an impending narrow escape against a team they should have blown out that is then sold postgame as a great display of grit and toughness coming back from the deficit they should never have been in to start with.

can I get a side of getting smoked in the next round because everyone is still so satisfied with the tough, gritty first round win with that please?

• Rage+1 2

13 minutes ago, Jebus said:

Oh wow, this is a new one- an impending narrow escape against a team they should have blown out that is then sold postgame as a great display of grit and toughness coming back from the deficit they should never have been in to start with.

can I get a side of getting smoked in the next round because everyone is still so satisfied with the tough, gritty first round win with that please?

The chef recommends pairing that with a postgame locker room dance video capturing the players celebratating like they just won a national championship.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

On 2/17/2023 at 4:47 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

To me the game that epitomizes Shaka's tenure at UT more than any is the P80 tournament vs Duke. Everything from being up on Duke by damn near 20 with 10 minutes to go to not only squandering the lead away, but ending the game in OT with Eric Davis attempting to guard Marvin Bagley while future all conference performers James Banks and Royce Hamm looked on from the bench. 

Saints And Sinners Reaction GIF by Bounce

15 minutes ago, Jebus said:

I just punched the wall of the shitter stall I'm sitting in at my office.

• Hook 'Em 1

SJ is an 8 seed in the Big East for a reason

Oh my god, Marquette keeps trying to give this away and SJ can't do it.  Throw away inbounds pass, SJ turns it right back over

You Suck Colin Jost GIF by Saturday Night Live

Edited by Js1

24 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

The chef recommends pairing that with a postgame locker room dance video capturing the players celebratating like they just won a national championship.

And as a little post dinner gift from the chef, here’s a little dumbass foul on a wild 3 when up four with seconds left, followed by absolute chaos on the ensuing inbounds 

• Haha 1

Just now, Jebus said:

And as a little post dinner gift from the chef, here’s a little dumbass foul on a wild 3 when up four with seconds left, followed by absolute chaos on the ensuing inbounds 

And then SJ gives it right back.

Like stop bailing out Shaka

We should have a poll to see who thinks which team advances further in the tourney. Texas seems to be a lock for 2, Marquette for 3. Marquette has no size but their offense is quite good, better than Texas’ it seems recently. I won’t be surprised if MU can beat Purdue in the Sweet 16 if they get out in the same region. It is our luck the Shaka tourney curse didn’t transfer  

Texas? Who the hell knows. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces