Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Um, yes.   Sark is starting out with a much more checkered resume than virtually any other blue blood head coaching hire I can remember.  A guy who has been a head coach before but never won big, flamed out of his last head coaching job in spectacular fashion 6 years ago, and hasn’t been a head coach since then isn’t exactly the typical profile for a Texas level hire, nor is it the recipe for a lot of first year hype.

Mix in negative recruiting from everywhere and a lacking bag game and here we are.

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yikes.  So, basically we can cross off all of the big name guys who we were supposed to lead for in March, except maybe Campbell (and who knows how much you can really trust the $9.95ers on him).

There might be some staff changes next year.  Sark coached for Saban and Carroll, and when he was in charge at UW and USC he had Tosh Lupoi and Tee Martin buying 5 stars.  I mean, if anyone realizes how this is supposed to work, it should be him.   I can’t imagine he’s convinced himself he’s going to “scheme and development” us to winning big with that background.  

The OU side says we lead for Campbell so that's the only one I feel ok about. LTG and Stewart could happen too although Stewart although Stewart seems to be leaning UF.

I'd expect staff changes but that won't solve the bags issue. That's gotta start higher up. And yes, Sark definitely knows how it works so I don't think he's the one holding it back.

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I'll probably regret saying this out loud, but is there any chance that maybe Jimbo is more highly thought of than Sark?  I think some of you here are lawyers or salesmen right?  It would be pretty easy to sell against Sark and Texas right now.  I think Sark can turn things around, but he has to do it.  Yes, we have to win on the field or this is all Charlie and Tom part 3.

I think you might be right.  He won the MNC at FSU and he got A&M to #4 last year.  He's got a lot to sell.  Unfortunately we don't.  We must win in order for recruits to buy in and jump on board.  Saying "We're Texas" might resonate with a bunch of old alums but it fails to register with any high profile recruits. 

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Nick Harris has a post up on Bryce. Anything worthwhile in it?

No. 

Spoiler

Beaumont (Texas) West Brook four-star defensive back Bryce Anderson is zeroing in on a decision this week after initially planning to wait until late September to make a decision. He is coming off a visit to Austin and College Station over the weekend, and both went well according to Anderson. I've checked in with a couple of sources close to Anderson and I feel this one is swinging towards Texas A&M. I've had my Crystal Ball on a low confidence for a few weeks now, and I'm close to flipping it altogether. The Aggies had a strong cast at their visit day on Saturday and the recruiting effort from Jimbo Fisher has been strong since he took over this recruitment. A final decision has not been made here as Anderson will talk to both coaching staffs tonight then make a final decision. This post will be updated as more info comes in. I'm continuing to check in with more sources as the day goes on.

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yikes.  So, basically we can cross off all of the big name guys who we were supposed to lead for in March, except maybe Campbell (and who knows how much you can really trust the $9.95ers on him).

There might be some staff changes next year.  Sark coached for Saban and Carroll, and when he was in charge at UW and USC he had Tosh Lupoi and Tee Martin buying 5 stars.  I mean, if anyone realizes how this is supposed to work, it should be him.   I can’t imagine he’s convinced himself he’s going to “scheme and development” us to winning big with that background.  

On paper, this is a good looking staff.  Mix of great coaches and recruiters.  But like I said, it is easy to sell against Texas at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

I think you might be right.  He won the MNC at FSU and he got A&M to #4 last year.  He's got a lot to sell.  Unfortunately we don't.  We must win in order for recruits to buy in and jump on board.  Saying "We're Texas" might resonate with a bunch of old alums but it fails to register with any high profile recruits. 

You all keep talking about the wrong stuff. Inside Texas, closetojumping, and several others have reported Texas is way behind on NIL. 

It's all about dropping bags and Texas doesn't seem like they are doing it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

It’s really going to take us running a train on the big 12s mom this season. I mean literal no brakes win by 1 bullshit. It means up by 40 in the 4th and still throwing deep to everyone type blowouts 

That isn't going to save recruiting. Texas needs to start running a train on bags of cash. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, closetohumping said:

On paper, this is a good looking staff.  Mix of great coaches and recruiters.  But like I said, it is easy to sell against Texas at the moment.

Agree with this. Love the staff from a coaching/development standpoint. I thought we had enough big-time recruiters especially with Sark's strong recruiting reputation, but appears we need more firepower on that front. I'm sure bags are a big part of the struggle but not the only thing.

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

It’s really going to take us running a train on the big 12s mom this season. I mean literal no brakes win by 1 bullshit. It means up by 40 in the 4th and still throwing deep to everyone type blowouts 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That isn't going to save recruiting. Texas needs to start running a train on bags of cash. 

A great season this year won't move the needle much for the '22 class. It would help some, but there's not going to be a flip-a-palooza where we end up with a top 5 class. This season will have a much bigger effect on the 2023 class. If we're mediocre, that cycle is going to be fucking ROUGH.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

A great season this year won't move the needle much for the '22 class. It would help some, but there's not going to be a flip-a-palooza where we end up with a top 5 class. This season will have a much bigger effect on the 2023 class. If we're mediocre, that cycle is going to be fucking ROUGH.

It won't help that much with 2023 in state as most of their friends are going to a rival school.

What's also amazing is how Aggy has been able to manipulate his decision timeline. At one point he was set to announce for us in April. Got convinced to wait. Now time would've been on our side with getting NIL together and showing results on the field. But instead of waiting longer like planned, he's deciding this week.

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Agree with this. Love the staff from a coaching/development standpoint. I thought we had enough big-time recruiters especially with Sark's strong recruiting reputation, but appears we need more firepower on that front. I'm sure bags are a big part of the struggle but not the only thing.

There's no reason this staff should struggle with recruiting when they have Sark, Banks, Davis, Flood, and Drayton. Even with the negative perception of Texas right now. 

The LSU moderators at 247 were talking about how this is one of the top recruiting staffs in the country a couple weeks ago. If this staff isn't recruiting at a top level with these recruiters it's because they aren't throwing enough cash around. 

• Hook 'Em 4

21 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

Saying "We're Texas" might resonate with a bunch of old alums but it fails to register with any high profile recruits. 

We've been here. We know that shit. I think the staff knew that coming in, that being Texas will only get you so far with higher end recruits. We've always known an improvement on the field is what was going to turn things around (along with the development of a worthy bag program). Now throw it in the pot with the NIL, and IMO the added benefit of going to the SEC. It's an interesting mix.

Remember, we flipped one of the biggest recruits of the past few years at Texas in October, because of what was going on on the field. Unfortunately, it was the other way. That fact that there are always committed fence riders ready to jump, coupled with possible positive NIL movement before December/January is why I'm not going to freak out about missing out on close guys right now. But I might bitch a little bit.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Bags and winning.  I take joining the SEC as an admission that we're willing to play the bag game because you ain't gonna win there unless you do.

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

There's no reason this staff should struggle with recruiting when they have Sark, Banks, Davis, Flood, and Drayton. Even with the negative perception of Texas right now. 

The LSU moderators at 247 were talking about how this is one of the top recruiting staffs in the country a couple weeks ago. If this staff isn't recruiting at a top level with these recruiters it's because they aren't throwing enough cash around. 

ou mods as well.  Said this staff will be hard to deal with in a few years.

29 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I don’t think the changes need to be made at the on-field coach level. Sure, it wouldn’t hurt to get another stud recruiter, but our recruiting support staff is the real problem right now. We never got a real replacement for Carrington, which is inexcusable because that spot is incredibly easy to fill with someone who could absolutely kill it. Glasscock was an underwhelming Plan B. Sark needs to fix support staff first and then determine if assistants should be changed. 

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You all keep talking about the wrong stuff. Inside Texas, closetojumping, and several others have reported Texas is way behind on NIL. 

It's all about dropping bags and Texas doesn't seem like they are doing it. 

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

See above. This ain’t all about dropping bags or the coaching staff, but the money is certainly a part of it. Even if we get NIL up and running (both legit opportunities and “legal” bag dropping), we still have serious issues with our support staff that will continue to be a problem. 

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Staff changes needed

Brandon Harris demoted/fired and bring in an actual replacement. Dude is in over his head....

Andre Coleman - Nothing against him but Samples over Coleman is a major upgrade and Samples is a closer.

I'll wait out the others

Terry Joseph needs to be shown the fucking door for a real CB coach that has skins on the wall, Corey Raymond would be nice right about now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

See above. This ain’t all about dropping bags or the coaching staff, but the money is certainly a part of it. Even if we get NIL up and running (both legit opportunities and “legal” bag dropping), we still have serious issues with our support staff that will continue to be a problem. 

Most of these are the same problems. 

Sark tried to hire Drew Hughes and Texas didn't allow it. That's when I knew Texas wasn't serious about throwing cash around. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Most of these are the same problems. 

Sark tried to hire Drew Hughes and Texas didn't allow it. That's when I knew Texas wasn't serious about throwing cash around. 

Not really. There are support staff issues that go way beyond just not having a bagman in place. If we were more organized, better at messaging, had someone in Harris’s role who actually knew what they were doing, etc. we’d be in a much better spot than we are right now despite being behind on NIL. Getting NIL stuff moving will help, but it won’t solve all our problems. They run deeper than that. 

I can see why kids would be hesitant to hop on board right now, given that everything that is public suggests that we will be playing in the Big 12 for another 4 years and everyone there (including maybe the refs) will hate us.  That sounds like a beating.  Even if we're telling everyone it will be sooner, it's pretty easy for A&M/Bama/etc. to just point to every single public statement we and the SEC has made.

For a whole decade, we’ve been underperforming, losing to worse teams, and the 5 stars we sign don’t get drafted highly. We get so invested in these recruitments that we become blind to the fact that it’s pretty easy to recruit against us.

Fix the problems above and recruiting will sort itself out. Don’t expect a new coach bump when the last two coaches have flamed out.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

Jimbo also destroyed FSU and the SEC outside of Alabama was average at best.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Good lord. Not even played a single game and y'all want to start firing coaches.  

Don't ever change, Surly Horns. Too much entertainment.

This lol. We have a brand new staff with dick on the field to show for it yet. Of course we're behind. We've been a shitshow for a decade. Aggy is coming off of what, 7-1? These kids don't have the entire history. They know we've sucked for nearly their entire remembered lives. Aggy has sucked for a lot of it but not recently in their eyes.  And that sucks. We have to win. 

• Hook 'Em 6

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not really. There are support staff issues that go way beyond just not having a bagman in place. If we were more organized, better at messaging, had someone in Harris’s role who actually knew what they were doing, etc. we’d be in a much better spot than we are right now despite being behind on NIL. Getting NIL stuff moving will help, but it won’t solve all our problems. They run deeper than that. 

We will agree to disagree I guess. 

There are likely issues with the support staff (see Harris) but that is small potatoes in comparison with the big picture stuff ( see NIL). I thought Texas was finally going to get balls deep into the bagman approach and I've seen no proof of that yet. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Staff changes needed

Brandon Harris demoted/fired and bring in an actual replacement. Dude is in over his head....

Andre Coleman - Nothing against him but Samples over Coleman is a major upgrade and Samples is a closer.

I'll wait out the others

Allowing Samples to leave was a huge mistake.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Brandon Harris deserves to be fired. 

Not fired, just moved back to the  position he actually belongs full time. He was great for us as an off-field coach and helped a lot with recruiting. Sark basically gave him two full time jobs and put him in a spot he was nowhere near qualified for.  That’s on Sark. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not fired, just moved back to the  position he actually belongs full time. He was great for us as an off-field coach and helped a lot with recruiting. Sark basically gave him two full time jobs and put him in a spot he was nowhere near qualified for.  That’s on Sark. 

My take as well. Harris should have a spot, just not the one he's currently occupying.  I think that is the plan anyway... just really needs to be moved up.  He's shown that people like and respect him as a coach based on opportunities he's had.

This is a systemic problem and it has everything to do with this athletic department and what they prioritize.  This is the same athletic department that chose to stay in the shitty BIG 12 after we had a chance to join the PAC 12, BIG 10, SEC 10 years ago.  This is the same athletic department that got turned down by multiple coaches and settled on Charlie Strong.  This is the same athletic department that let our facilities fall behind and did not feel the need to constantly upgrade and invest in the program the way other blue bloods do.  This is the same athletic department that dropped the ball completely with NIL and setting up a bag game because "We're Texas".

The truth is that we have a roster with some talent and also quite a few JAGs.  Our 1 point wins against shitty programs and constant losses to shitty programs are not attractive to recruits.  We play in a shit conference that we cannot win.  We don't put players in the league.  We hired a recovering alcoholic that was publicly fired for being drunk on the job at his last stop.  Sark hasn't proven shit as a head coach and every coach with a championship ring or conference titles are hammering this to recruits.  "Why bet on Texas when you can come here.  We have proven results and you are just betting on Texas.  Wait to see it before you commit to them.  Oh and we will make sure you and your family are taken care financially if you commit to us".  Hard to fight that type of recruiting until this AD and alumni base gets their shit together.  I will keep repeating this, we will need to buy our way back to a championship or it will be more of the same.  No elite recruit is coming here when they will get paid to play at a program competing for the CFP.

Sark better win big in year 1 ad put some players in the league or we'll be with a new head coach in 3 years.

• Hook 'Em 8

18 minutes ago, victory88 said:

This is a systemic problem and it has everything to do with this athletic department and what they prioritize.  This is the same athletic department that chose to stay in the shitty BIG 12 after we had a chance to join the PAC 12, BIG 10, SEC 10 years ago.  This is the same athletic department that got turned down by multiple coaches and settled on Charlie Strong.  This is the same athletic department that let our facilities fall behind and did not feel the need to constantly upgrade and invest in the program the way other blue bloods do.  This is the same athletic department that dropped the ball completely with NIL and setting up a bag game because "We're Texas".

The truth is that we have a roster with some talent and also quite a few JAGs.  Our 1 point wins against shitty programs and constant losses to shitty programs are not attractive to recruits.  We play in a shit conference that we cannot win.  We don't put players in the league.  We hired a recovering alcoholic that was publicly fired for being drunk on the job at his last stop.  Sark hasn't proven shit as a head coach and every coach with a championship ring or conference titles are hammering this to recruits.  "Why bet on Texas when you can come here.  We have proven results and you are just betting on Texas.  Wait to see it before you commit to them.  Oh and we will make sure you and your family are taken care financially if you commit to us".  Hard to fight that type of recruiting until this AD and alumni base gets their shit together.  I will keep repeating this, we will need to buy our way back to a championship or it will be more of the same.  No elite recruit is coming here when they will get paid to play at a program competing for the CFP.

Sark better win big in year 1 ad put some players in the league or we'll be with a new head coach in 3 years.

I bet you're fun to watch games with.

• Haha 6

41 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We'll enter the SEC with a roster talent wise comparable to Tennessee and the Mississippi schools.  We can laugh at aggy and little Dumbo all we want, but the fact will be that they'll have a better roster whenever we do play them whenever that may be in the next few years.  Maybe it'll take losing to them for someone to wake up.  You can bet majority of the football board will be going bonkers with a loss to aggy wondering what happened and wanting to fire everybody when it all started here.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We'll enter the SEC with a roster talent wise comparable to Tennessee and the Mississippi schools.  We can laugh at aggy and little Dumbo all we want, but the fact will be that they'll have a better roster whenever we do play them whenever that may be in the next few years.  Maybe it'll take losing to them for someone to wake up.  You can bet majority of the football board will be going bonkers with a loss to aggy wondering what happened and wanting to fire everybody when it all started here.

#DOOOMED

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting