Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 hours ago, Nuge said:

The practice reports have not been confidence inspiring regarding the pass offense.  

I hope its due to the salty defense but I've also seen this movie before.  I think we'll win but I don't know if the pass offense is going to be inspiring.  It looks to me like games will be won by defense and running the ball.  Not exactly what Evan Stewart is looking for.

I think Worthy will break out and Whittington/Moore will be serviceable. The receiving talent missing at WR is there at TE though, so I hope we lean heavily on Wiley/Sanders/Helm/Davis and those guys come to play this year. I'm in the 11-1/12-0 kool-aid camp so I'm not too concerned with recruiting. We're probably not going to recover every recruit we've whiffed on but I'm optimistic about a class in the 7-9 range and a top 3 class next year. 

I know the jokes but I have expected all offseason that the defense would be extremely salty this year (top 5 nationally) given the talent and the coaches we hired. We have NFL talent at every level of the defense.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We have the same WRs and TEs as last year, minus Eagles (who was less productive than Moore) and Smith (who was behind Whittington and barely got on the field during the rare games Whittington was healthy).  

We’re adding Worthy, who will be the fastest guy in the group.  Dixon, who would be the second fastest guy in the group, could also see more playing time in his second year.   Keilan Robinson could play some slot.  

All of our TEs are older and we added new ones who could contribute in the passing game.

We return our best RBs, and all of our RBs can catch. 

This ultimately comes down to the QB and coaching.  The talent at WR may not be elite, but we basically bring back all our skill position talent from last year and have added a couple of guys with more speed.   We managed to have a good offense last year with the same freaking guys, except at QB, and our offensive system should presumably be better this year (otherwise why even hire Sark?).  

I’m not buying the woe is me routine.  We should expect a good offense this year unless the QBs are just terrible.  

I'm swimming in the same Kool-Aid pool as you.

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

srtx86

1 minute ago

New

Texas will have a 2022 and 2023 Houston area kids in for Home opener. 2 corners. Harris and glover jr. un officials on both

That’s the Houston insider who disappeared for a while after he said Jimbo comes across as more genuine than Sarkisian.

4 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

I think Worthy will break out and Whittington/Moore will be serviceable. The receiving talent missing at WR is there at TE though, so I hope we lean heavily on Wiley/Sanders/Helm/Davis and those guys come to play this year. I'm in the 11-1/12-0 kool-aid camp so I'm not too concerned with recruiting. We're probably not going to recover every recruit we've whiffed on but I'm optimistic about a class in the 7-9 range and a top 3 class next year. 

I know the jokes but I have expected all offseason that the defense would be extremely salty this year (top 5 nationally) given the talent and the coaches we hired. We have NFL talent at every level of the defense.

image.jpeg.fb76b8757ad992eca6362d4ee6fedc1a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

15 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

We have the same WRs and TEs as last year, minus Eagles (who was less productive than Moore) and Smith (who was behind Whittington and barely got on the field during the rare games Whittington was healthy).  

We’re adding Worthy, who will be the fastest guy in the group.  Dixon, who would be the second fastest guy in the group, could also see more playing time in his second year.   Keilan Robinson could play some slot.  

All of our TEs are older and we added new ones who could contribute in the passing game.

We return our best RBs, and all of our RBs can catch. 

This ultimately comes down to the QB and coaching.  The talent at WR may not be elite, but we basically bring back all our skill position talent from last year and have added a couple of guys with more speed.   We managed to have a good offense last year with the same freaking guys, except at QB, and our offensive system should presumably be better this year (otherwise why even hire Sark?).  

I’m not buying the woe is me routine.  We should expect a good offense this year unless the QBs are just terrible.  

Agreed and add the fact that we have grown-ass professionals coaching them up for a change. 10-1 fuckers!!!!

Just to give everyone a small ray of hope who are jumping off a ledge with class rankings. In the past decade, Oklahoma has only cracked the top 10 Rivals recruiting rankings 4 times, 3 times if you use ESPN rankings. In that same time, OU is 8-2 against us and has been to 4 BCS bowls plus a couple of CFP games. It's ALMOST as if... great coaching can take quality players and win. So weird. 

In our latest class. which was a disaster by our standards, we still have a number of freshmen that are already turning heads and pushing for playing time immediately, not to mention the big infusion of talent from the transfer portal. That said, I understand that moving to the SEC makes getting the elite talent more critical, but if we can have a 9 win season this year, that should be enough to build on for recruiting to start winning the top guys that we have missed on this year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Just to give everyone a small ray of hope who are jumping off a ledge with class rankings. In the past decade, Oklahoma has only cracked the top 10 Rivals recruiting rankings 4 times, 3 times if you use ESPN rankings. In that same time, OU is 8-2 against us and has been to 4 BCS bowls plus a couple of CFP games. It's ALMOST as if... great coaching can take quality players and win. So weird. 

In our latest class. which was a disaster by our standards, we still have a number of freshmen that are already turning heads and pushing for playing time immediately, not to mention the big infusion of talent from the transfer portal. That said, I understand that moving to the SEC makes getting the elite talent more critical, but if we can have a 9 win season this year, that should be enough to build on for recruiting to start winning the top guys that we have missed on this year. 

Uh they also add a difference maker at QB whenever they need to. Those pesky Heisman winners aren’t reflected in their recruiting rankings but kind of made a difference. Maybe it’s just me

Gerry Hamilton: Texas loaded in 2022 cycle with Power 5 prospects

The state of Texas is absolutely loaded in the 2022 cycle.  A whopping 52 prospects are members of the initial On300. Of those, 34 are already committed to Power 5 programs.  Still a week away from the first games of their senior seasons, there are already 132 prospects committed to Power 5s. That number is expected to go well beyond the 2021 cycle, which had 160 Power 5 signees.  A jaw-dropping 50 Power 5 programs have commitments from a prospect from the Lone Star State as of Aug. 20.  On3 lists every Power 5 commitment from the state of Texas. 

Arizona

Kyron Chambers, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff

Arizona State

Sincere Massey, OT, Cedar Hill (Texas) 

Carter Brown, K, Pearland (Texas) Dawson

Arkansas

Jordan Crook, LB, Duncanville (Texas) 

Auburn

Jay Fair, WR, Rockwall (Texas) Heath

On300 ranking: No. 251

Baylor

Alvin Ebosele, OT, Coppell (Texas)

On300 Ranking: No. 198

Jeremy Patton, LB, Tenaha (Texas)

On300 Ranking: No. 235

Tre Emory, DL, Mount Pleasant (Texas) 

Cody Mladenka, TE, The Woodlands (Texas) College Park

Kelsey Johnson, TE, Red Oak

Bryce Simpson, OT, Cypress (Texas) Ranch

Coleton Price, IOL, Bowie (Texas) 

Kaden Sieracki, OT, The Woodlands (Texas) 

Jordan Nabors, WR, Rockwall (Texas) Heath 

Carmello Jones, EDGE, Orange (Texas) West Orange Stark

Kyler Jordan, EDGE, Lubbock (Texas) Cooper

Devyn Bobby, CB, DeSoto (Texas) 

Reggie Bush, RB, Frisco (Texas) Independence

Richard Reese, RB, Bellville (Texas) 

Boston College

R.J. Maryland, TE, Southlake (Texas) Carroll

Kivon Wright, EDGE, Manvel (Texas) 

California

Curlee Thomas, IV, EDGE, Fort Worth (Texas) Nolan Catholic

Clemson

Cade Klubnik, QB, Austin (Texas) Westlake

On300 Ranking: No. 33

Colorado

Owen McCown, QB, Rusk (Texas) 

Keyshon Mills, CB, Little Elm (Texas) 

Joshua Wiggins, CB, Spring (Texas) Klein Oak

Aaron Austin, DL, Crowley (Texas) North Crowley

Zach Courtney, TE, Post (Texas)

Dylan Dixson, LB, Pearland (Texas)

Erick Conley, DL, Richmond (Texas) Travis

Jordyn Tyson, WR, Allen (Texas) 

Duke

Chandler Rivers, S, Beaumont (Texas) United

Matt Craycraft, IOL, Dallas (Texas) Jesuit

Florida

Nick Evers, QB, Flower Mound (Texas)

On300 Ranking: No. 147

Julian Humphrey, S, Houston (Texas) Clear Lake

On300 Ranking: No. 218

Florida State

Jaylen Early, IOL, Duncanville (Texas) 

Jerrale Powers, TE, Duncanville (Texas) 

Georgia

Dillon Bell, ATH, Houston (Texas) Kincaid 

Georgia Tech

Aidan Birr, K, Kennedale (Texas)

Indiana

Josh Hoover, QB, Rockwall (Texas) Heath

Bray Lynch, IOL, Austin (Texas) Westlake 

Iowa State

Jeremiah Cooper, S, El Paso (Texas) Andress

Kansas

Anthony Davis, CB, Dallas (Texas) Skyline

Jaylon Peoples, CB, Cedar Hill (Texas) 

Jacobe Chester, ATH, Missouri City (Texas) Marshall

Joey Baker, IOL, Southlake (Texas) Carroll 

Kansas State

Drake Bequeaith, OT, Grapevine (Texas) 

Colby McCalister, CB, Friendswood (Texas) Clear Brook

Kentucky

Nikolas Hall, OT, Austin (Texas) Akins

Miami

Justin Medlock, LB, Manvel (Texas) 

Michigan State

Jack Stone, K, Dallas (Texas) Highland Park

Minnesota

Zach Evans, RB, Rockwall (Texas) Heath 

Mississippi State

Braedyn Locke, QB, Rockwall (Texas) 

Missouri

Tavorus Jones, RB, El Paso (Texas) Burges

Marcus Scott II, CB, The Woodlands (Texas) College Park

Nebraska

Richard Torres, QB, San Antonio (Texas) Southside

Northwestern

Robert Fitzgerald, S, Dallas (Texas) Jesuit

Devin Turner, S, Frisco (Texas) Lone Star

Notre Dame

Jadarian Price, RB, Denison (Texas)

Pittsburgh

Che Nwabuko, ATH, Manor (Texas)

Marquan Pope, LB, Denton (Texas) Guyer

Ohio State

Terrance Brooks, CB, Little Elm (Texas)

On300 Ranking: No. 15 

Caleb Burton, WR, Austin (Texas) Lake Travis

On300 Ranking: No. 73

Oklahoma

Kip Lewis, LB, Carthage (Texas) 

Kobie McKinzie, LB, Lubbock (Texas) Cooper

Xavion Brice, CB, Arlington (Texas) Seguin

Demetrius Hunter, IOL, Orange (Texas) West Orange Stark

Jason Llewellyn, TE, Aledo (Texas) 

Cedric Roberts, DL, Pflugerville (Texas) Hendrickson 

Oklahoma State

Ollie Gordon, RB, Euless (Texas) Trinity

On300 Ranking: No. 169

Garret Rangel ,QB, Frisco (Texas) 

On300 Ranking: No. 197

Austin Kawecki, OT, Frisco (Texas) Lebanon Trail

On300 Ranking: No. 269

Dylan McKinney, CB, Colleyville (Texas) Heritage 

Ole Miss

Timi Gagophien, OT, Houston (Texas) Hastings 

Kyrinin Heath, TE, Mansfield (Texas) Legacy

Oregon

Kelvin Banks, OT, Humble (Texas) Summer Creek

On300 Ranking: No. 26

Nicholas Anderson, WR, Katy (Texas)

On300 Ranking: No. 75

Cameron Williams, OT, Duncanville (Texas)

Landon Hullaby, S, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview

Stephon Johnson, WR, DeSoto (Texas) 

Oregon State

Quincy Wright, DL, Duncanville (Texas) 

Damien Martinez, RB, Lewisville (Texas)

Penn State

Cristian Driver, ATH, Argyle (Texas) Liberty Christian

Purdue

Nic Caraway, EDGE, Bryan (Texas) 

J.P. Deeter, DL, Manvel (Texas) 

South Carolina

Peyton Williams, S, Rockwall (Texas) Heath 

Landon Sampson, WR, Southlake (Texas) Carroll

Stanford

Collin Wright, S, Manvel (Texas

TCU

Matthew Golden, WR, Klein (Texas) Cain

On300 Ranking: No. 71

D.J. Allen, WR, Gladewater (Texas)

On300 Ranking: No. 141

Joseph Adedire, DL, Arlington (Texas) Summit

On300 Ranking: No. 234

Seth Martin, IOL, Everman (Texas)

Texas

Kristopher Ross, DL, Houston (Texas) North Shore

On300 Ranking: No. 55

Jamarion Miller, RB, Tyler (Texas) Legacy 

On300 Ranking: No. 82 

Bryan Allen Jr., S, Aledo (Texas)

On300 Ranking: No. 96

Jaydon Blue, RB, Klein (Texas) Cain

On300 Ranking: No. 114

Derrick Brown, EDGE, Texarkana (Texas) Texas High

On300 Ranking: No. 193

Austin Jordan, S, Denton (Texas) Ryan

On300 Ranking: No. 211

Connor Robertson, IOL, Austin (Texas) Westlake

On300 Ranking: No. 239

Armani Winfield, WR, Lewisville (Texas)

On300 Ranking: No. 280

Cole Hutson, IOL, Frisco (Texas)

Trevell Johnson, LB, Arlington (Texas) Martin 

Will Stone, K, Austin (Texas) Regents School 

Texas A&M

Bryce Anderson, S, Beaumont (Texas) West Brook

On300 Ranking: No. 20

P.J. Williams, OT, Dickinson (Texas)

On300 Ranking: No. 40

Conner Weigman, QB, Cypress (Texas) Bridgeland 

On300 Ranking: No. 53

Malick Sylla, EDGE, Katy (Texas)

On300 Ranking: No. 93

Hunter Erb, OT, Haslet (Texas) Eaton

On300 Ranking: No. 113

Bobby Taylor, CB, Katy (Texas) 

On300 Ranking: No. 199

Martrell Harris, LB, The Woodlands (Texas)

On300 Ranking: No. 208

Donovan Green, TE, Dickinson (Texas)

On300 Ranking: No. 230

Jordan Scarlett, DL, Argyle (Texas)

On300 Ranking: No. 246

Ish Harris, LB, Pilot Point (Texas)

On300 Ranking:  No. 260

Jarred Kerr, S, Lexington (Texas) 

Noah Thomas, WR, League City (Texas) Clear Springs

Texas Tech

Sheridan Wilson, IOL, Argyle (Texas) 

Tyler King, WR, Houston (Texas) Taylor

Bryson Donnell, RB, Tyler (Texas) Legacy

Hut Graham, S, Gunter (Texas) 

USC

Ty Kana, LB, Katy (Texas) 

De’Anthony Gatson, RB, Newton (Texas) 

Caleb Douglas, WR, Missouri City (Texas) Hightower 

Utah

Zion Steptoe, WR, Frisco (Texas) 

Jeffrey Ugo, Richmond (Texas) George Ranch

Vanderbilt

Drew Dickey, QB, Austin (Texas) Regents School 

Virginia

Anthony Holmes, DL, Spring (Texas) Westfield 

Virginia Tech

Alex Orji, ATH, Garland (Texas) Sachse 

Johnny Dickson, IOL, Corpus Christi (Texas) Flour Bluff

Jakson LaHue, OT, Azle (Texas)

Washington

Emeka Megwa, ATH, Keller (Texas) Timber Creek

Washington State

Jihad Lateef, IOL, Lubbock (Texas) Estacado

Wisconsin

Avyonne Jones, S, Southlake (Texas) Carroll 

Oklahoma, interestingly, does not have a top recruit from the state of Texas committed yet.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

We have a walk-on starting at Mike and a converted WR starting at safety.

If the defense is good this year it'll be because of experience. Lots of upperclassmen with many games under their belt. But outside of the DL these guys are not high on NFL draft boards.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

If the defense is good this year it'll be because of experience. Lots of upperclassmen with many games under their belt. But outside of the DL these guys are not high on NFL draft boards.

Well, Schooler was a converted safety as a WR - that's what he played early on at Oregon. More accurate to say he's back at his original position.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Overshown might be the best NFL draft prospect on the defense.  Jamison is definitely going to get looks - both for defense and special teams.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, satyanash said:

There's the satya we know.  I haven't seen your posts in a while

Oh No Reaction GIF by Acorn TV

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Uh they also add a difference maker at QB whenever they need to. Those pesky Heisman winners aren’t reflected in their recruiting rankings but kind of made a difference. Maybe it’s just me

Did Kyler Murray look like a heisman winner under Sumlin? Did Baker Mayfield look like a heisman winner under Kingsbury? Wow..coaching.. novel thought.

Edited by Vertigo

44 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah satya got out over his skis there. 

Yeah and Ossai is still a surefire first-rounder. Surly is incredibly consistent when it comes to overrating our player's draft prospects, going back to the infamous Jeffcoat thread on the Shag.

Realistically, Overshown is probably drafted outside the first three rounds unless something amazing happens. Many LBs are ahead of him this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Yeah and Ossai is still a surefire first-rounder. Surly is incredibly consistent when it comes to overrating our player's draft prospects, going back to the infamous Jeffcoat thread on the Shag.

Realistically, Overshown is probably drafted outside the first three rounds unless something amazing happens. Many LBs are ahead of him this year.

image.thumb.png.3456eee51171a05775aaf6491de9c2d9.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I dunno if that's realistic or not, only seeing one year of it. All I know is he has a lot of hype, even though a lot of it is cautious because of his switch just being last year. I've seen him rated anywhere from 2nd to 8th in pre '22 draft rankings for ILBs. I dunno where you're seeing our DL guys rated higher.

Regardless of where you think he'll get drafted, you know damn well he's an electric player on that defense. And now I believe he'll have the right coaches, and IMO he'll be in the right defense to be even noisier out there, regardless if NFL teams draft him high or not, just like Ossai. 

And yet we knocked Georgia’s, Utah’s, Mizzous peckers in the dirt.

Now that the Non-SEC cloud is no longer over us you will see more defensive guys drafted even with similar measures led.

I’m not sure what Jeffcoats deal was, but his college production and measurables warranted a relatively high selection. Maybe he wasn’t overly invested I don’t know. Believe Jarvis Jones ran a 4.9. He flopped and the Steelers rarely fail at that position. The SEC got him that.

But it is uncommon for any big 12 defender to go earlier in the draft than he should.

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

This is always the case with any good defense from the beginning of time but you do you.  Usually you are better at finding more legitimate things to cry about.  But I can’t say I’ve ever heard the we have too much experience angle.  Should have known that Whittington’s injury would be Satya’s dog whistle.  

Edited by stork642

6 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Or recruiting players that fit your scheme that's gone unchanged for years pays off? That and transfer QBs

Edited by Michael Knight

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting