Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Ohio State and Oklahoma both made quick decisions in recent history on the defensive side when it was clear the DC was not equipped for the job. But, We’re Texas, I guess and we need to suffer multiple seasons of pain first before we state was is self evident about the guy we hired to anyone who is watching. 

The only reason people are not willing to see that PK is an abject disaster is the perception and salary he came with. Cognitive dissonance is a powerful force. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We also act like the coaches that we lost to are also ran scrubs. Riley and Gundy are two of the best in the game. We had them both on the ropes, we shit the bed toward the end of the game for a variety of reasons and they made us pay. Do your best to fix it and move on. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Ohio State and Oklahoma both made quick decisions in recent history on the defensive side when it was clear the DC was not equipped for the job. But, We’re Texas, I guess and we need to suffer multiple seasons of pain first before we state was is self evident about the guy we hired to anyone who is watching. 

The only reason people are not willing to see that PK is an abject disaster is the perception and salary he came with. Cognitive dissonance is a powerful force. 

I guess keeping moops as DC for 6 years was a pretty quick decision...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Demas has 9 catches for 176 and a TD this year. Worthy has more than that in the OU game alone. If its truly us vs aggy then that is fantastic news

Honestly just depends on what Stewart is looking for. If he's a full-on auction, I'd imagine we're screwed. If he's looking out for his future production and NFL prospects, then yeah we should win that one.

I have a hard time believing he's that shortsighted, but it happens with kids every year..

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Honestly just depends on what Stewart is looking for. If he's a full-on auction, I'd imagine we're screwed. If he's looking out for his future production and NFL prospects, then yeah we should win that one.

I have a hard time believing he's that shortsighted, but it happens with kids every year..

The kid could pay his way through school on his social media following. I doubt this is a Bear Alexander situation where a kid can be bought by some slack jawed yokel in exchange for a new doublewide for his mom. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Ohio State and Oklahoma both made quick decisions in recent history on the defensive side when it was clear the DC was not equipped for the job.

Coombs got more than a full season and Mike Stoops got eight, but I guess those count as "quick" decisions if you squint hard enough

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

fuck off with this opinion and view.

He is not an "abject disaster" on defense, saying this is dumb and you should feel dumb. This is on the same level as that moron who said if you take Bijan and Worthy off the Texas team they are just Kansas.

one of the reasons people are willing to give him a little more time is that he has a TRACK RECORD of success at both G5 and P5 programs using any advanced defensive statistic you choose.

also lol at comparisons to tOSU. They made a change with Coombs (who was the DC last year too, just not a play caller) and who has been with the program for most of the last 10 years and who is one of the top DB coaches in the country. One of the games that was pointed at with him being such a terrible play caller on defense was the Tulsa game...and we found out after the fact he hadn't even called the plays in that game. Plus Tulsa was and is a worse offense than Minn or Oregon.

re: OU. they kept Mike Stoops for Lincoln's first full year, then kept him through the Texas game in 2018, had McNeill as interim. then they hired Grinch in Jan 2019. They made very little "immediate" change (i mean 1.5 seasons in they made a change) but Stoops had no track record of being good and was only fired after Texas ran the same play like ten times and kept gashing that defense in a win.

So no, neither of those are really comparable in any way to this current situation. the most likely comparison is Riley + Stoops > Grinch, and that was like 1.5 years after Riley was hired.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

I would trade 10 Evan Stewarts for 1 future draft pick at OT.

Having one draft pick on your OL doesn’t do that much. Just look at last year when our OL sucked and that was a 1st round talent OL. 

18 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If by perception, you mean 11 straight years as one of the best DCs in the country, then sure. I’ll counter your cognitive dissonance with some recency bias and say let’s see if he can figure some stuff out over the bye week and through second half of the season before we all proclaim he must be fired. It’s not like we’re gonna accomplish anything this year anyway. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The kid could pay his way through school on his social media following. I doubt this is a Bear Alexander situation where a kid can be bought by some slack jawed yokel in exchange for a new doublewide for his mom. 

Totally agree, it wouldn't make sense for him. Like you, I have a hard time believing he'd go to A&M and risk costing himself millions of dollars (not gonna get much NIL with 8 receptions, nor are you gonna be a high draft pick). Just saying that logic isn't always what drives decisions. 

17 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Or he pulls a Dickerson and drives the Trans AM to Austin.

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

fuck off with this opinion and view.

He is not an "abject disaster" on defense, saying this is dumb and you should feel dumb. This is on the same level as that moron who said if you take Bijan and Worthy off the Texas team they are just Kansas.

one of the reasons people are willing to give him a little more time is that he has a TRACK RECORD of success at both G5 and P5 programs using any advanced defensive statistic you choose.

also lol at comparisons to tOSU. They made a change with Coombs (who was the DC last year too, just not a play caller) and who has been with the program for most of the last 10 years and who is one of the top DB coaches in the country. One of the games that was pointed at with him being such a terrible play caller on defense was the Tulsa game...and we found out after the fact he hadn't even called the plays in that game. Plus Tulsa was and is a worse offense than Minn or Oregon.

re: OU. they kept Mike Stoops for Lincoln's first full year, then kept him through the Texas game in 2018, had McNeill as interim. then they hired Grinch in Jan 2019. They made very little "immediate" change (i mean 1.5 seasons in they made a change) but Stoops had no track record of being good and was only fired after Texas ran the same play like ten times and kept gashing that defense in a win.

So no, neither of those are really comparable in any way to this current situation. the most likely comparison is Riley + Stoops > Grinch, and that was like 1.5 years after Riley was hired.

Jim Carrey Mistake GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

nevermind me if this is out of line. But watching the highlights of your Ok St game, the score is 24-25, the ball is around Texas 40 yard line and it's 2nd and 1... the call is to make a long pass to Worthy on the sideline but that play is blown up and he may have even lost half a yard. So its now 3rd and 1. And this 3rd down play brought back memories of futility from past A&M games coached by Fran and Sherman and Sumlin. UT gets lined up in a shotgun formation and the ball is handed off to the running back. That play gets blown up by the DE- more than one DL actually the whole front crashes in and you have 4th and 2 or 3. Now if it were Joey Freshwater he might still go for that 4th down unadvisably, but that's a different matter. That shotgun formation to gain one yard-- especially when one of your starting OL just limped off the field-- that was not good; that OL wasn't going to get enough push down the middle for the shotgun formation to work. QB sneak or something else should have been tried. Or get two tight ends in there and frickin ensure you gain that one yard.  you guys can legit laugh at Jimbo for calling an old school O, but more often than not his teams tend to convert 3rd and 1. Texas was good in this one stat in 2019, and A&M was good in it last year. So maybe it just comes down to not having enough good OL and no coach can do much about that other than try to scheme around it as much as possible.

25 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

We also act like the coaches that we lost to are also ran scrubs. Riley and Gundy are two of the best in the game. We had them both on the ropes, we shit the bed toward the end of the game for a variety of reasons and they made us pay. Do your best to fix it and move on. 

So Texas got outcoached is what you're saying. No doubt, but be careful saying it too much out loud. Gundy is good, but he isn't one of the best in the game. He shits himself repeatedly in games that actually matter, and I can't get pas that. His annual bedwetting against OU is one of the more nauseating parts about college football outside of the constant nausea caused by Texas.

21 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

I guess keeping moops as DC for 6 years was a pretty quick decision...

12 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Coombs got more than a full season and Mike Stoops got eight, but I guess those count as "quick" decisions if you squint hard enough

Are you guys being purposefully obtuse about the quick hook Riley showed Mike Stoops once he was running things? Or has it just not occurred to you that it took OU less than 2 years to trap door the fucking idiot after his brother stepped aside?

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Totally agree, it wouldn't make sense for him. Like you, I have a hard time believing he'd go to A&M and risk costing himself millions of dollars (not gonna get much NIL with 8 receptions, nor are you gonna be a high draft pick). Just saying that logic isn't always what drives decisions. 

Can you stop handwringing about Stewart going to ATM? Jesus. He's either driving up the price, which is the word, so he can maximize what he gets from his actual school of choice, or he's too stupid for words and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Are you guys being purposefully obtuse about the quick hook Riley showed Mike Stoops once he was running things? Or has it just not occurred to you that it took OU less than 2 years to trap door the fucking idiot after his brother stepped aside?

Obtuse is my middle name, good sir. He said "Oklahoma" made a quick decision... not Riley.

The thing That's hard to understand is players like Sweat,  Ojomo,  and Collins were highly rated out of HS,  played at a reasonable level at the end of last year,  and now they can't stop the run or rush or pressure the QB.  

Is a new system so confusing to talented defensive linemen that they can't do basic things a DL should do?

Bo Davis has a good coaching record.  Did he forget how to coach or is K asking him to do things that don't work?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

The thing That's hard to understand is players like Sweat,  Ojomo,  and Collins were highly rated out of HS,  played at a reasonable level at the end of last year,  and now they can't stop the run or rush or pressure the QB.  

Is a new system so confusing to talented defensive linemen that they can't do basic things a DL should do?

Bo Davis has a good coaching record.  Did he forget how to coach or is K asking him to do things that don't work?

I'm thinking/hoping this is because the DL in PKs scheme have different responsibilities than they did under Ash, and this is causing our players to be hesitant while they learn to play instinctually in the new scheme.

55 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

people use advanced stats to support PK.  we started basically 3 walk ons (who were, to much surprise, targeted by good OC's) when a  better coach would get his best athletes out there and coach em up.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

The LBs are not helping much either

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Sweat was a 3 star who didn't go to camps and didn't like the recruiting process. He's had flashes in the past, but he's more physical numbers than performance. 

The entire defensive line is fucked in like 5 different ways.

-They're not getting much LB support because we have weak LB talent.

-The DC isn't making in-game adjustments when offensive coaches figure out that Texas isn't going to sell out against the run or spy a mobile QB.

-Some personnel decisions being made look like they have nary a fucking thing to do with capabilities on the field. Alfred Collins hardly seeing snaps at times while Jett fucking Bush is playing constantly in key games (I realize they don't completely play the same position) cannot be logically explained in any satisfactory way to anyone who understands football. That kind of stupid fucking shit is why Sarkisian had a job to take in the first motherfucking place.

-Beyond all of that, the staff's inability to plan to take one thing or another away, hell or high water, leads to a splitting the baby effect where Texas isn't good at stopping the fucking run or stopping the fucking pass.

Maybe Kwiatkowski figures some of this rudimentary shit out coming into the final five games, but I find the premise dubious. He's outright embarrassed himself in the first seven games. Not forcing the Arkansas QB to beat you with the pass, not adjusting to the RPO and delay game against OU in the second half, unbelievably not identifying obvious running circumstances against OSU that could be identified in the stands or on TV. None of those can be explained away without someone being a eunuchated coelenterate in doing so. 

Nick Saban has an offline saying that those who have been around him know well and would never claim he or anyone else said in public - "Count the number of white guys playing key snaps on your defense and there's your minimum number of losses on the year." That's an oversimplification in logic, largely racist in some form, anecdotal and reductive. That said, there is truth to it specifically for this Texas team once you get past your personal pearl-clutching. Bush, Schooler, and Brockermeyer are all below average to bottomfeeder performers at their positions compared the rest of P5. They're not the only problem, but that's a fucking problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

we'll never know what actually went down but hiring your DC after position coaches seems like a bad idea.  the story will always be that PK and the position guys were always on the same page.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Nick Saban has an offline saying that those who have been around him know well and would never claim he or anyone else said in public - "Count the number of white guys playing key snaps on your defense and there's your minimum number of losses on the year." That's an oversimplification in logic, largely racist in some form, anecdotal and reductive. That said, there is truth to it specifically for this Texas team once you get past your personal pearl-clutching. Bush, Schooler, and Brockermeyer are all below average to bottomfeeder performers at their positions compared the rest of P5. They're not the only problem, but that's a fucking problem.

and then you add BJ Foster to the mix.  Foster and Schooler might be the worst safety combo at UT in history.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

people use advanced stats to support PK.  we started basically 3 walk ons (who were, to much surprise, targeted by good OC's) when a  better coach would get his best athletes out there and coach em up.

really?

coaching is so easy, just get your best athletes out there and coach em up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is obviously a LOT more that goes into coaching. if those athletes were actually, ya know, good...wouldn't they be beating out Jett fucking Bush and Luke Brockermeyer for playing time? who was the third walk on on defense?

FCoiZbmXEB0ANeD?format=jpg&name=large

"a  better coach would get his best athletes out there and coach em up"

what a laugh

///

edit: people use advanced stats to back him up because 1) they are a million times better than using "yards per game given up" or "points per game"

oh yeah, and they use them because they are normalized. here is his track record using DFEI:

• Boise - 2010: #2 DFEI
  • 11: #15
  • 12: #29
  • 13: #71
  • Washington - 14: #18
  • 15: #4
  • 16: #4
  • 17: #12
  • 18: #7
  • 19: #15
  • 20: #65 (in 4 games, i think they got some kind of wild adjustment for only playing 4 though, because all of the underlying results have them no lower than 51? unadjusted had them at #39)
Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

really?

coaching is so easy, just get your best athletes out there and coach em up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is obviously a LOT more that goes into coaching. if those athletes were actually, ya know, good...wouldn't they be beating out Jett fucking Bush and Luke Brockermeyer for playing time? who was the third walk on on defense?

what a laugh

Hey looks like Jett Bush is no longer on the depth chart.

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

really?

edit: people use advanced stats to back him up because 1) they are a million times better than using "yards per game given up" or "points per game"

oh yeah, and they use them because they are normalized. here is his track record using DFEI:

• 20: #65 (in 4 games, i think they got some kind of wild adjustment for only playing 4 though, because all of the underlying results have them no lower than 51? unadjusted had them at #39)

This is crazy. How could he possibly be doing so bad here..

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hope in one hand, shot in the other. 

it’s not just that the boosters don’t want to get their hands that dirty, it’s also that they don’t even know where to start. We’ll move song but it won’t be as soon as “right now.” 

Start by handing out thumb drives and then point them to some crypto exchanges...

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

This is crazy. How could he possibly be doing so bad here..

it's a big reason why i am not super worked up about him (yet) - if he goes the whole season without making any adjustments, then he is absolutely a huge issue.

if he goes into Saturday's game and makes adjustments in game, and fixes some of his issues...then great.

either way, he absolutely needs to get more than 7 games before we have idiots wanting to reassign him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

really?

what a laugh

Bush was playing for reasons other than his own performance. They have fucked up their priorities and rotation regarding the DL/Bucks/Jacks. Losing Jones didn't help. I'm not always a "just get the best talent out there" guy, but there is zero legitimacy to having Bush on the field during meaningful snaps. 

As to Brockermeyer, he's just an addition to a long line of slow "coach on the field" types at LB (Bobino, Harris, Boyd, Renfro, Derry, whoever the fuck, it's a lot) and Safety (Gideon/Haynes/Mychale Thompson or however you spell his name - the pussy that got drafted in the 4th one year by the NYG, whoever the fuck else I am forgetting that you guys could add) that aren't worth the fucking oxygen it takes to scream "get off the fucking field you fucking slob!!" Ford and Gbenda should both be on the field ahead of Brockermeyer, and I don't give a shit if Gbenda isn't a Mic. Let Devin Richardson have meaningful snaps to at least prove he can't play during a game. Hullaby and Tillman are gone by Christmas, so so be it there. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I'm thinking/hoping this is because the DL in PKs scheme have different responsibilities than they did under Ash, and this is causing our players to be hesitant while they learn to play instinctually in the new scheme.

I know we're currently just shitting on things, but do we get all of them back next year? I'm assuming our preseason thoughts about Coburn getting drafted flew out the window.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Bush was playing for reasons other than his own performance. They have fucked up their priorities and rotation regarding the DL/Bucks/Jacks. Losing Jones didn't help. I'm not always a "just get the best talent out there" guy, but there is zero legitimacy to having Bush on the field during meaningful snaps. 

As to Brockermeyer, he's just an addition to a long line of slow "coach on the field" types at LB (Bobino, Harris, Boyd, Renfro, Derry, whoever the fuck, it's a lot) and Safety (Gideon/Haynes/Mychale Thompson or however you spell his name - the pussy that got drafted in the 4th one year by the NYG, whoever the fuck else I am forgetting that you guys could add) that aren't worth the fucking oxygen it takes to scream "get off the fucking field you fucking slob!!" Ford and Gbenda should both be on the field ahead of Brockermeyer, and I don't give a shit if Gbenda isn't a Mic. Let Devin Richardson have meaningful snaps to at least prove he can't play during a game. Hullaby and Tillman are gone by Christmas, so so be it there. 

exactly.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ford and Gbenda should both be on the field ahead of Brockermeyer, and I don't give a shit if Gbenda isn't a Mic. Let Devin Richardson have meaningful snaps to at least prove he can't play during a game. Hullaby and Tillman are gone by Christmas, so so be it there. 

Gbenda is a gamble worth taking at this point. He's either doing something athletic or not knowing what to do. Experience could turn on the light.

15 minutes ago, NoName said:

really?

what a laugh

///

meanwhile, in Austin.  getting assfucked in 3Q/4Q consistently.   happy to take this to the PK thread.

35 minutes ago, NoName said:

really?

what a laugh

///

I mean, that's the guy's fucking point. Don't pretend like the notion of coaches playing favorites for various reasons over more talented players isn't a well chronicled fucking thing at this point. We've seen it time and time again, and as recently as watching Tom Herman play Kai Money at WR over much more talented fucking players. Mack Brown did it with his talented Freshman for different pussified reasons with OU. We saw it TWICE under the same head coach, both Mehringer and Coleman under Tom Herman. So lets fucking do away with the absurdity of "Those guys aren't good because they're not starting" TRusT ThE COrcHeS bullshit. Jalen Ford came in and immediately turned heads at LB. Alfred Collins has shown more all year than half the guys at either position he's playing ahead of him. 

Guess what, sometimes coaches play favorites. Do we know the reasons? No. Maybe Alfred Collins refuses literally to practice a single snap and jett bush looks like Tarzan. Then again, maybe Jett Bush looks like Tarzan against our piece of shit offensive line and does, in fact, suck balls against even average competition. But guess what, we're 7 games in, and I don't think it should have taken 7 games to realize the Jett Bush practice fools gold bullshit and Adjust. And yet here we are...That's coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Since we're bitching about depth chart, why the fuck is Josh Moore still getting so many reps because outside of OU it's been non-existent. 

Who do you think those reps should go to? Moore is our 2nd best WR with Whitt out, which says a lot about our WR depth.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wells -Barton

Despite growing up around the Beehive State on a 300-acre ranch along the Duchesne River with horses, cows, and chickens among the three-story ranch house, Lander Barton might be the one that gets away.

At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, one of the top linebackers in the country has always seemed like a Utah lock. The Utes are well represented in the Barton household, from his mother to uncle to siblings. But don't tell Barton that.

“(Utah) is up there," said Barton, about his remaining top schools. “I’ve already seen Texas and Michigan, and both those schools stand out,” said Barton. “I might be heading up to Oregon next week."

Texas has been scouring the nation for its linebacker takes and Barton has showed legitimate interest. After tallying 341 tackles, 31 tackles for loss, 12 sacks, eight forced fumbles, six interceptions, five fumble recoveries, and three touchdowns off INTs during his time at Brighton, it's easy to see the appeal. Add 909 yards receiving and 16 touchdowns on 81 catches on the offensive side, and you've got a bona fide college prospect.

When he hit Austin's city limits on September 23rd, he was in a new world.

“It was a great atmosphere and environment,” Barton said. “Great game environment. Great coaches and I really had a great time. Coach (Jeff) Choate has been great. (Texas) really likes me at middle-backer and wants to use me on the edge some. It could be a fit."

The On3 No. 177 overall prospect for 2022 (92 score) might be a tad underrated. With 15 offers including LSU, Notre Dame, and Stanford, Barton made it clear one of these schools - Utah, Texas, Michigan, and Oregon - are really the programs he’s focusing on now. He's taken officials to Utah (10/16), Michigan (9/11), and UT (9/24), and might use one in Eugene this weekend to see the Ducks.

Barton wasn't ready to start narrowing down this process. He really wanted to be preparing for this week's opponent rather than being upset by Orem on Friday night, effectively ending his high school football career. But now, he has the time and knows it won't be a distraction.

“I’m starting to wind this recruiting process down,” said Barton. “My timeline is soon. Since the season is over, I’ll focus on this and have a decision soon.”

Plus he has a connection to the Lone Star State. Barton’s uncle, Louis Wilson, is the head basketball coach at UT-Tyler. This family is full of athletes and Barton could be the best. And he might be the first to go.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We've seen it time and time again, and as recently as watching Tom Herman play Kai Money at WR over much more talented fucking players. Mack Brown did it with his talented Freshman for different pussified reasons with OU. We saw it TWICE under the same head coach, both Mehringer and Coleman under Tom Herman.

Fucking nightmare flashbacks.  And yet, here we are again with the focus more on the defensive side.  How long do you think it would have taken Herman to start Worthy?  Probably never would have found out because Worthy would have hit the portal before we had the chance to do so. If our defensive coaches don't get their shit together, we're going to risk losing the actual athletes we do have that are currently riding the pine or playing second string.  Yay Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, that's the guy's fucking point. Don't pretend like the notion of coaches playing favorites for various reasons over more talented players isn't a well chronicled fucking thing at this point. We've seen it time and time again, and as recently as watching Tom Herman play Kai Money at WR over much more talented fucking players. Mack Brown did it with his talented Freshman for different pussified reasons with OU. We saw it TWICE under the same head coach, both Mehringer and Coleman under Tom Herman. So lets fucking do away with the absurdity of "Those guys aren't good because they're not starting" TRusT ThE COrcHeS bullshit. Jalen Ford came in and immediately turned heads at LB. Alfred Collins has shown more all year than half the guys at either position he's playing ahead of him. 

Guess what, sometimes coaches play favorites. Do we know the reasons? No. Maybe Alfred Collins refuses literally to practice a single snap and jett bush looks like Tarzan. Then again, maybe Jett Bush looks like Tarzan against our piece of shit offensive line and does, in fact, suck balls against even average competition. But guess what, we're 7 games in, and I don't think it should have taken 7 games to realize the Jett Bush practice fools gold bullshit and Adjust. And yet here we are...That's coaching. 

that's fair across the board. The Collins / Bush thing is as confusing as possible to me. Bush is not a 4i in any universe. He is nowhere near as talented as Collins and Bush gets picked on/blown up at every opportunity.

i get annoyed when people say "COACH THEM UP" like that's the actual solution across the board.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Jester said:

Fucking nightmare flashbacks.  And yet, here we are again with the focus more on the defensive side.  How long do you think it would have taken Herman to start Worthy?  Probably never would have found out because Worthy would have hit the portal before we had the chance to do so. If our defensive coaches don't get their shit together, we're going to risk losing the actual athletes we do have that are currently riding the pine or playing second string.  Yay Texas.

Worthy never comes to Texas without Sark - so he would have never played him. He'd have gone to Alabama if they'd have taken him and done awesome there. 

I'm convinced that this isn't a talent issue, but it's a coaching issue after much deliberation. There's a lot of convenient forgetting of key 3rd down plays that the defense does awesome things and then fucks it up with an auto first down boneheaded play. 

This is an undisciplined team. It shows up in false starts, holding calls, defensive penalties, all kinds of stupid shit that if it doesn't happen, turns into a scorching.  Is it fixable by this staff? I'm honestly not sure, because it seems to have gotten worse the harder they "try". I can't for the life of me figure out why the fuck our receivers can't catch the ball. I don't give a shit how good of a route they can run, if they can't fucking catch it doesn't matter. THAT IS COACHING.

The offensive line isn't getting outmuscled or out-technique. The blown up plays are straight up unblocked defenders running into the backfield. They suck because they don't block, not because they can't block correctly. THAT IS COACHING

It's either that our coaches don't know how to coach fundamentals and are too concerned with their fancy pants bullshit or that our players actually suck at football fundamentally and there's no amount of coaching that can get a guy who can't catch to catch. I find it very hard to believe that it's players actually sucking to this level. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

It's either that our coaches don't know how to coach fundamentals and are too concerned with their fancy pants bullshit or that our players actually suck at football fundamentally and there's no amount of coaching that can get a guy who can't catch to catch. I find it very hard to believe that it's players actually sucking to this level. 

i find it hard to believe too, then i remember plays where the player fails to wrap up (Jerrin Thompson) or runs right by the ball carrier (BJ).. 

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

The problem with this analysis is the coaching staff has a proven track record of success at multiple levels of competition whereas many of the players especially at OL/LB/Safety don't and have largely already demonstrated that they just aren't very good. Whether that be due to poor development, talent, or a combo of both.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting