Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

The problem with this analysis is the coaching staff has a proven track record of success at multiple levels of competition whereas many of the players especially at OL/LB/Safety don't and have largely already demonstrated that they just aren't very good. Whether that be due to poor development, talent, or a combo of both.

The coaching staff needs to put in weaker players who can run the fucking plays then don't they? 

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

The coaching staff needs to put in weaker players who can run the fucking plays then don't they? 

The coaching staff needs to take all these pussified players to Junction, TX and put their ass in a boot camp with no water or breaks!

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, NoName said:

really?

coaching is so easy, just get your best athletes out there and coach em up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is obviously a LOT more that goes into coaching. if those athletes were actually, ya know, good...wouldn't they be beating out Jett fucking Bush and Luke Brockermeyer for playing time? who was the third walk on on defense?

I don't know how you can act like a coach not playing his best players is some kind of impossibility just one year after watching Herman not put Bijan on the field until the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I don't know how you can act like a coach not playing his best players is some kind of impossibility just one year after watching Herman not put Bijan on the field until the end of the season.

I'll be glad when we get over the white walk on phase of the last two years and as far as as the human hurdle.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

The offensive line isn't getting outmuscled or out-technique. The blown up plays are straight up unblocked defenders running into the backfield. They suck because they don't block, not because they can't block correctly. THAT IS COACHING

Don't fully agree with this part. There have been way too many blown assignments, yes, but there have been just as many times where the pass rusher just beats our OL one on one (mainly Jones and Karic but I remember Conner had at least one vs OSU).

The penalties have been bad but were still worse under Herman imo. 

Ultimately, I just think it takes time to develop guys, especially after years of shit coaching. I'm not going to judge too much until next year. 

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Some of the personnel decisions that PK has made this season are just baffling. I'm hoping he has some kind of long term master plan for success that we aren't privy to that are driving these decisions, otherwise he's simply done an extremely poor job of evaluating the talent on hand and we are likely fucked on that side of the ball, again.

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

Some of the personnel decisions that PK has made this season are just baffling. I'm hoping he has some kind of long term master plan for success that we aren't privy to that are driving these decisions, otherwise he's simply done an extremely poor job of evaluating the talent on hand and we are likely fucked on that side of the ball, again.

Not like he sat around and didn't try to upgrade the LBs/Pass rushers in the portal.  However if he could do it all over again, I'd bet he would be looking for Safety help through the portal.  Schooler/Foster have been a mess back there.  Jerrin is up and down which is expected for a young player.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, NoName said:

that's fair across the board. The Collins / Bush thing is as confusing as possible to me. Bush is not a 4i in any universe. He is nowhere near as talented as Collins and Bush gets picked on/blown up at every opportunity.

i get annoyed when people say "COACH THEM UP" like that's the actual solution across the board.

Well, I mean, if the eyeball tests indicate they aren’t coaching them at all…asking them to start is a fair request, isn’t it?

2 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

You mean play a two deep safety look when they are 3rd and 2 and have been gashing us all day with the run? 

It baffles me coordinators come here and are braindead. 

I've noticed they stick with that after a disaster (Caleb 4th and 1 TD) or near disaster (osu WR dropping an easy pass after getting behind everyone)

2 hours ago, Laga4 said:

The thing That's hard to understand is players like Sweat,  Ojomo,  and Collins were highly rated out of HS,  played at a reasonable level at the end of last year,  and now they can't stop the run or rush or pressure the QB.  

Is a new system so confusing to talented defensive linemen that they can't do basic things a DL should do?

Bo Davis has a good coaching record.  Did he forget how to coach or is K asking him to do things that don't work?

it’s because we no longer have Oscar Giles. he was under-appreciated and one of the best coaches in the country, and the best coach at UT in the last decade. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I've noticed they stick with that after a disaster (Caleb 4th and 1 TD) or near disaster (osu WR dropping an easy pass after getting behind everyone)

This. Our safeties havent been great in gap integrity at all this year, then when they are in position they miss tackles. I don't blame PK for not keeping those guys close to the LOS. At least they can slow the backs down with their presence from deep.

PK has earned some criticism though. His personnel deployment has been questionable, and I wouldn't be shocked if he saw a little of himself in Jett Bush, but it looks like he's adjusting a bit there.

Vernon Broughton needs to be on the sidelines making sure the other DL have all the hydration they need before going back out. No reason that guy should be playing at this point.

Edited by Atticus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

LSU fired Pelini after year 1 of a 3 year deal that netted him $4 million on the way out. If this continues and Texas wants to show they are ready for the SEC then $3.4 million won't be an issue. 

LSU's defensive talent is at least 2 tiers greater than ours. Jett Bush struggles to shed TE blocks, LSU has guys that can run right through OL.

good to great wide receivers also have bad days and drop balls. Metchie has done it on this year's Bama team, and he is their leading receiver. Wydermeier had several dropped balls in the first 3 games this year, only to come back stronger and have back to back games with multiple TDs. It's what happens after a bad game of dropped passes that matters.

I think the offensive staff has done a solid job of know themselves and their weekly opponent (excepting Arky) and tried to maximize their gameplan.  The first half performance provides a fair amount of evidence supporting that.

The defense has been the exact opposite.  They have come out each week (except Ok State) pretty much the same and to do what PK did at UW.  It also displays a pretty profound lack of self knowledge of our defensive talent.

I need to see pretty strong improvement on defense the rest of the way or I'd like a change.

This team is 6-1 and in the driver's seat for the Big 12 Championship with a Big 12 average defense this year.  Now that would be some fool's gold because the Big 12 seems pretty lacking in top end elite teams but it would be a solid narrative to go forward with.

I guess I'm still hopeful overall because if we had offensive issues then that would reflect even worse on Sark.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, burdine said:

I think the offensive staff has done a solid job of know themselves and their weekly opponent (excepting Arky) and tried to maximize their gameplan.  The first half performance provides a fair amount of evidence supporting that.

The defense has been the exact opposite.  They have come out each week (except Ok State) pretty much the same and to do what PK did at UW.  It also displays a pretty profound lack of self knowledge of our defensive talent.

I need to see pretty strong improvement on defense the rest of the way or I'd like a change.

This team is 6-1 and in the driver's seat for the Big 12 Championship with a Big 12 average defense this year.  Now that would be some fool's gold because the Big 12 seems pretty lacking in top end elite teams but it would be a solid narrative to go forward with.

I guess I'm still hopeful overall because if we had offensive issues then that would reflect even worse on Sark.

for all the shit the defense is getting, they got no favors from the offense in the second half vs osu.  If the offense could have put together drives that resulted in one first down, at least, we win that game.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Twenty games.

He was fired 6 games into the second season under Riley. Considering the guy was the brother of the previous head coach and still held considerable influence over the AD, that is quite remarkable. I just do not see that happening here. 

I see some position coaches being encouraged to take other jobs at best. 

7 minutes ago, burdine said:

I dont think PK is doing what he did at Washington and think that is part of the problem. He was a cover 3 shell guy there. He plays mostly Cover 4 at Texas. At Washington the CBs played pretty tight to the WRs and bailed. Here is giving up a lot of easy throws. with CBS playing off.  He was much more aggressive at Washington. For lack of a better term, he seems to be coaching afraid at Texas. Not sure if it is because he doesnt trust his secondary or if it something else. 

for all the shit the defense is getting, they got no favors from the offense in the second half vs osu.  If the offense could have put together drives that resulted in one first down, at least, we win that game.

The offense did no favors in the 2H of the OU game either. Played well enough in the 1H of the OU game to get Rattler benched.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

I dont think PK is doing what he did at Washington and think that is part of the problem. He was a cover 3 shell guy there. He plays mostly Cover 4 at Texas. At Washington the CBs played pretty tight to the WRs and bailed. Here is giving up a lot of easy throws. with CBS playing off.  He was much more aggressive at Washington. For lack of a better term, he seems to be coaching afraid at Texas. Not sure if it is because he doesnt trust his secondary or if it something else. 

He has had the luxury of having 1st round talented CBs at Udub, and really good safety play.  The game vs Tech showed that we don't have a shut down corner, our best was getting smoked.  We already established that Schooler, Foster, Je Thompson have all continued to struggle.  This is the reason why I think you have to give him another full season to get this thing heading into the right direction.  Portal is going to be Vital

The offense is not near dominant or elite but they do show flashes of it.  The offense shows knowledge of our personnel and the opponents.  We are flawed at OL and WR so there is a ceiling.

The defense looks ignorant of our strengths and the opponents.  We did show a different look vs Ok State so that is something but my expectations are higher than that.

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

The offense has had issues in the second half, but its to the defense to get themselves off the field. Games like Ark and OU gave you a good idea, it was only a matter of time before the defense totally collapsed. Texas is 80th in 3rd down conversions allowed. 96th in yards per play at 6.24. 79th in defensive yards available at ~50%.. Its been ugly. 

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

He has had the luxury of having 1st round talented CBs at Udub, and really good safety play.  The game vs Tech showed that we don't have a shut down corner, our best was getting smoked.  We already established that Schooler, Foster, Je Thompson have all continued to struggle.  This is the reason why I think you have to give him another full season to get this thing heading into the right direction.  Portal is going to be Vital

I think he is a quality coach with a serious resume. I think the talent is below what he is accustomed to, for various reasons (roster holes, football IQ). I also think it is fair to say he has made plenty of mistakes that have made a mediocre defense into a shit show. Acknowledging that fact, does not mean I think he should be fired. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The offense has had issues in the second half, but its to the defense to get themselves off the field. Games like Ark and OU gave you a good idea, it was only a matter of time before the defense totally collapsed. Texas is 80th in 3rd down conversions allowed. 96th in yards per play at 6.24. 79th in defensive yards available at ~50%.. Its been ugly. 

After the Bijan TD in the 3Q against OSU, we might have been better off just kneeling the ball every play. That would have least run the clock a bit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

meanwhile, in Austin.  getting assfucked in 3Q/4Q consistently.   happy to take this to the PK thread.

Looks like a whole bunch of pussies need to find another team. Guess what? The same coaches will be here next year. You might as well get used to the idea now.

2 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

After the Bijan TD in the 3Q against OSU, we might have been better off just kneeling the ball every play. That would have least run the clock a bit.

That is 1 game that you could say the offense was the culprit. That said the defense gave up almost 6 yards a play in that game. I am talking about the season. The defense gives up at least 1 first down on 72% of opponent drives. That is 73rd in the country. Cant blame the offense for the defense being ranked  71st in points allowed in the 2nd quarter and 91st in points allowed in the 3Q

That is 1 game that you could say the offense was the culprit. That said the defense gave up almost 6 yards a play in that game. I am talking about the season. The defense gives up at least 1 first down on 72% of opponent drives. That is 73rd in the country. Cant blame the offense for the defense being ranked  71st in points allowed in the 2nd quarter and 91st in points allowed in the 3Q

And that is 1 of the 3 losses but point taken. OU 2H was an abomination as well so now that’s 2 of 3 losses. Against Arky it was the 1H+ so now that’s 3 of the 3 losses. Don’t get me wrong defense has been less than ideal to say the least but this isn’t and all or nothing thing, both sides of the ball have been way too inconsistent for long stretches. I don’t have stats, I just am going off what my eyes are telling me.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Looks like a whole bunch of pussies need to find another team. Guess what? The same coaches will be here next year. You might as well get used to the idea now.

says 2014 and 2017.  I already said Sark is gettin 4 years and PK will be here at least 1 more.

12 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

And that is 1 of the 3 losses but point taken. OU 2H was an abomination as well so now that’s 2 of 3 losses. Against Arky it was the 1H+ so now that’s 3 of the 3 losses. Don’t get me wrong defense has been less than ideal to say the least but this isn’t and all or nothing thing, both sides of the ball have been way too inconsistent for long stretches. I don’t have stats, I just am going off what my eyes are telling me.

Offense had three 3 and outs vs OU defense in the second half. They had 2 drives ending in points and 1 drive ending at the OU 24 on downs. I dont think that is a complete disaster or  leaving the defense out to dry.  It is not optimal, but it is only a disaster because OU score 35 pts. My point is that people are excusing the defense for things that are self-inflicted. The bottom line is they dont get off the field. They allow opposing offenses to flip the field constantly. Every DC would love to coach along side great Wisconsin offenses, but that isnt in the cards. Both units are inconsistent, but the offense goes from excellent to disaster in games. The defense goes from mediocre to disaster. By the way, people are like the defense played well vs OSU. For the record OSU is arguably the worst offense in the Big 12 currently. They average 5.18 yards per play, even Kansas is ahead of them 5.2

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Offense had three 3 and outs vs OU defense in the second half. They had 2 drives ending in points and 1 drive ending at the OU 24 on downs. I dont think that is a complete disaster or  leaving the defense out to dry.  It is not optimal, but it is only a disaster because OU score 35 pts. My point is that people are excusing the defense for things that are self-inflicted. The bottom line is they dont get off the field. They allow opposing offenses to flip the field constantly. Every DC would love to coach along side great Wisconsin offenses, but that isnt in the cards. Both units are inconsistent, but the offense goes from excellent to disaster in games. The defense goes from mediocre to disaster. 

Plus the defense was theoretically more experienced than the offense coming into the year.  It's mostly Juniors and Seniors underperforming.  That's a bad look.

Offense had three 3 and outs vs OU defense in the second half. They had 2 drives ending in points and 1 drive ending at the OU 24 on downs. I dont think that is a complete disaster or  leaving the defense out to dry.  It is not optimal, but it is only a disaster because OU score 35 pts. My point is that people are excusing the defense for things that are self-inflicted. The bottom line is they dont get off the field. They allow opposing offenses to flip the field constantly. Every DC would love to coach along side great Wisconsin offenses, but that isnt in the cards. Both units are inconsistent, but the offense goes from excellent to disaster in games. The defense goes from mediocre to disaster. 

We are in complete agreement, I just get tired of “it’s all the defenses fault” crowd. Both sides have been abysmal at times and it seems to come at the worst times IMO.

5 hours ago, Newy25 said:

On the last drive against Oklahoma State, before we decided to allow them to score, we played 6 men in the box with both of our safeties more than 20 yards from the line of scrimmage when we had to defend the run at all costs. That’s when I knew this season was forsaken and our only hope was to drop bags of cash on recruits to be a good team again. 

I don’t care how we do it, but people involved in Texas football should act with the same desperation A&M did when they gave Jimbo 75M dollars. Its time for us to go full on Georgia recruiting machine and right now. 

This is the answer. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, burdine said:

Or maybe it shows that he has a complete understanding of our defensive talent.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting