Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, TriStone said:

Yeah.  We've all experienced that high that comes from being in Lubbock.  Put a little time between him and the visit and maybe the euphoria will wear off.

"One does not simply walk into Lubbock," Ewers says. "It's dusty streets are guarded by more than just tumbleweed. There are hoes there that do not sleep. The great STD is ever watchful."

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Sure. If it’s done, announce it.  We aren’t curing cancer here, ...

Sounds like we kinda are, actually. Thanks, @henrygandorf.

7 hours ago, utee94 said:

Not only that, but blaming the NCAA for it is really weird too.  The NCAA doesn't have anything to do with it.  The state legislatures were enabling it with or without the NCAA.  The NCAA simply gave up and rolled over on a battle it couldn't possibly win.

They didn't give up an roll over. They fought it tooth and nail all the way to the Supreme Court, where they promptly got their shit kicked in.

also...

props to all y'all who put the pancakes together. Y'all are good people. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Its been said on here,  that Sark,  staff, and the administration  don't have the warm and fuzzies for NIL. 

So now that we have these NIL deals. Who gives the kids the lowdown?  When do i get my check?  For how much?

And who deals with the misinformation from aggy and the like?

I'm outta rep but this post needs neg rep.

wtf is wrong with you?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Its been said on here,  that Sark,  staff, and the administration  don't have the warm and fuzzies for NIL. 

So now that we have these NIL deals. Who gives the kids the lowdown?  When do i get my check?  For how much?

I’m glad we got someone that’s been in the room with Sark while talking to recruits posting here!  🙄.     

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Christ almighty guys, lay off. If he misunderstood the staff’s temperature on NIL, is it that big of a fucking deal? If the staff can’t talk about NIL, it’s valid to ask the questions about who can communicate what to prospects.

Full disclosure, I don’t know the rules about what the staff can and cannot “officially” communicate to recruits re: NIL and I doubt I’m the only non-expert here. But going off the rails for asking innocuous but mildly uninformed questions doesn’t foster an honest and open dialogue. And the hostility and smugness is downright Luicci-esque. We are all learning through all this bullshit. Cut everyone some fucking slack.

oh fuck off

getting into internet pissing matches and arguing with the people who are out there leading this stuff and working directly with all involved is absolute idiocy

news flash: some opinions are more valuable than others, and theirs is more likely to be right than yours or mine

please try not to be a complete and utter dumbass

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is fucking stupid. The staff loves NIL. They don't love NIL getting passed at the 11th hour with no one knowing what the fuckin rules were and the players not planning and managing their time appropriately.

The admin also loves NIL. 

This post is stupid. You should feel shame. 

I asked a fucking question. And you are going off on my phrasing?  Scuse the fuck outta me. Maybe i whiffed on Sark and the staff. But ill ive heard on here for

a year is how fucked we are on NIL because of the administration. Thats a fact. 

Past that. Its a legitimate fucking question,  that you ignored. Ive heard Sark cant talk about NIL. I took that to mean he had reservations. Scuse the fuck outta me for having the wrong idea. 

Buncha bitchasses

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 5

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

oh fuck off

getting into internet pissing matches and arguing with the people who are out there leading this stuff and working directly with all involved is absolute idiocy

news flash: some opinions are more valuable than others, and theirs is more likely to be right than yours or mine

please try not to be a complete and utter dumbass

He literally asked questions. It wasn’t a pissing match. You’re making it into a pissing match. 

I appreciate all the work immamac has done on this. It’s genuinely incredible and literally unprecedented. I’m just saying the tone on this board, specifically with respect to NIL has been strangely aggro lately. I think it would be more productive to have a little understanding as people navigate a whole bunch of new shit that most of us haven’t had the opportunity to fully digest at this early stage. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

He literally asked questions. It wasn’t a pissing match. You’re making it into a pissing match. 

I appreciate all the work immamac has done on this. It’s genuinely incredible and literally unprecedented. I’m just saying the tone on this board, specifically with respect to NIL has been strangely aggro lately. I think it would be more productive to have a little understanding as people navigate a whole bunch of new shit that most of us haven’t had the opportunity to fully digest at this early stage. 

That’s because there is a group of people that have worked really hard to make this happen and doing something positive for the university and they have been shit all over at every turn by people on here, up to and including being argued with over how it works when they are literally the people making it work. Don’t be obtuse. 

• Hook 'Em 5

35 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

I asked a fucking question. And you are going off on my phrasing?  Scuse the fuck outta me. Maybe i whiffed on Sark and the staff. But ill ive heard on here for

a year is how fucked we are on NIL because of the administration. Thats a fact. 

Past that. Its a legitimate fucking question,  that you ignored. Ive heard Sark cant talk about NIL. I took that to mea he had reservations. Scuse the fuck outta me for having the wrong idea. 

Buncha bitchasses

Saying they don’t have the warm and fuzzy’s for it like they don’t like it and can’t talk about it are definitely two separate things….   What coach that has the first big NIL deal in the country wouldn’t like it?  So yes phrasing I guess.   You act like all the legal stuff that went into something like this is nothing and Sark should be posting shit on Instagram like “come to Texas for 150k a year”  when a simple google search explains that,  I’m sure there’s plenty of winks and nods and other people explaining things  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, immamac said:

We have several podcasts detailing the whole thing. Maybe some of you should actually listen to them, they might actually be kind of good. 

Spotify says the surly podcast was my most listened to podcast of 2021.

(pay no attention to the fact that I only listened four times, the good news is that I didn't listen to a single other podcast the entire year - 100% of listened podcasts were surly!)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have several podcasts detailing the whole thing. Maybe some of you should actually listen to them, they might actually be kind of good. 

Dude. Yall did a helluva job. No one is questioning this. This is fantastic. But ffs be patient with some of us. Not everyone’s coming at y’all like Hornlover, and have legit questions and/or concerns. That’s okay!
  • Hook 'Em 3

Bobby:

Steve Sarkisian was in California yesterday and visited with safety Larry Turner-Gooden and offensive lineman Earnest Greene.

Greene appears to be a long shot for the Horns. As Gerry has mentioned, Greene seems more tied in to either Alabama or Georgia at this late juncture.

Turner-Gooden, on the other hand, could be on the precipice of choosing the Longhorns.

The All-American Bowl selection is said to be choosing from Texas, Penn State, Maryland, Colorado and Southern Cal.

Penn State was thought to be the Horns’ chief competition. But I am told the Nittany Lions have quietly ebbed in this recruitment.

Turner-Gooden is not expected to reveal his college choice prior to the All-American game on Jan. 8, even though he might sign in the early signing period on Dec. 15.

I believe Texas is leading for his signature. USC might be a team to watch down the stretch.

At this point in the recruiting cycle, it’s time for Texas fans to focus on who the Horns are adding to the roster.

It doesn’t so much matter who the Horns are going to play against in the future, as it does who you’re going to play with.

As Mack Brown once told me, “The ones you sign are the ones you need to be focused on. The ones you don’t sign, well, you’re only going to see them once a year. So you better focus on the ones you get and making them the best you can.”

Some of Mack’s talk was just coachspeak. But this is one of those maxims that I completely agree with.

Focus on improving your own roster, period. What anyone else accomplishes is nowhere near as important as what you do for yourself.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Instead of allowing the process to add Texas/OU to happen behind closed doors, and to basically announce the move in a coordinated fashion at a time and place picked by the conference, they decided to throw a hissy fit and leak it to the media. They leaked the plans hoping to derail the Texas/OU move to the SEC. But, leaking it before the vote to expand the CFP was finalized meant that the other conferences banded together to use the CFP expansion vote as leverage against the SEC becoming more powerful.

don't forget after bitching about it in the media all over the place they VOTED FOR THE EXPANSION

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Ease up there, jinxy. Holy shit.

The original expectation and the belief I still maintain is that anything for 2022's class is just gravy. This was done to begin the process of showing the base what is actually possible and to build a foundation for the future to impact the bagman game. 

Now, we launched it with good timing because we could, once the work was all coming together. And this recruiting cycle is fucking nuts in like 10 ways, so anything can happen. That's the thing, just as DKR said, "you got to think lucky. fall into a puddle of water? then come up checking your pockets for fish." As one of my business partners and buddies always says "hell, I'm starting to think that half of success in life is just showing up." So, who knows? 

With all this being said will you all still be helping setup the other position groups as you did with OL? If so, I think the next position group should be DL, due to those two positional groups having the biggest impacts on programs. 

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

Dude. Yall did a helluva job. No one is questioning this. This is fantastic. But ffs be patient with some of us. Not everyone’s coming at y’all like Hornlover, and have legit questions and/or concerns. That’s okay!

Hah, I haven't come at anybody. I've offered as much support as anybody could possibly ask for on NIL stuff. All I did was mention there was a footnote in the press release, and got my shit jumped.

59 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

In Norla's defense CTJ and others have posted several times that the athletic department didn't like NIL because they saw it as a threat to revenues.

And they should feel bad if they can't distinguish between the Athletic Department and the Football Team.

The Athletic Department is the administrative arm that deals with financing and compliance and in general just likes to fuck things up for all of our teams. 

The coaches are the ones that fuck up all of our recruiting and fuck up our player development and fuck up in gameday playcalling, etc. 

And since it's confusing to some people, especially since most will never actually read the law:

1. The NIL stuff is governed by a state law. The laws differ from Texas to Ohio to California, etc.

2. The legal ramifications for breaking a state law are much different than violating NCAA rules. 

3. The law prevents the school from coordinating NIL activities with athletes. They must be hands off. So it has nothing to do with desire or whatnot. They legally aren't allowed to do it. I'm sure university compliance has told them what and how much they are allowed to discuss, but the coaches can always say "I don't know the answer to your question, but you can always talk to Joe Smith that can help you"

4. Of course coaches are going to wink and nod and insinuate. Nobody here knows exactly what they are saying behind closed doors. Is Sark calling recruits and saying "I have a strong-ass offer"? Probably not. Is Flood showing up to the house and saying "Junior Angilau drives a really sweet, loaded F250, and he fucking loves pancakes 🥞!"? Probably. 

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 2

So between the ~$50k annual value of the schollie package, the $150k “salary”, an F250, and assorted other benefits, is it safe to say our OL will be making $250k+/yr?  

Pretty crazy to think a fucking 3rd string 3* OL at Texas is going to receive compensation  worth about half the NFL minimum salary.

10 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

The law prevents the school from coordinating NIL activities with athletes. They must be hands off. So it has nothing to do with desire or whatnot. They legally aren't allowed to do it

No one was asking the athletic department to coordinate with the athletes, but to at least coordinate with the donors on the outside to get NIL programs going. You think Oregon waited around on Phil Knight to come up with everything on his own, or did they help in coordinating the effort? Hell, look into The Oregon Accelerator.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting