Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

7 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

So between the ~$50k annual value of the schollie package, the $150k “salary”, an F250, and assorted other benefits, is it safe to say our OL will be making $250k+/yr?  

Pretty crazy to think a fucking 3rd string 3* OL at Texas is going to receive compensation  worth about half the NFL minimum salary.

No.

The 50k is for sure.  The Clark stuff is still raising money as I understand it.  When it hits its 150 million goal - then I believe the plan is to pay football 100k each and then distribute the rest to the other sports.

I have no idea what the Clark payout will be for 2022 - maybe someone on here who was associated can confirm/deny?

7 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

So between the ~$50k annual value of the schollie package, the $150k “salary”, an F250, and assorted other benefits, is it safe to say our OL will be making $250k+/yr?  

Pretty crazy to think a fucking 3rd string 3* OL at Texas is going to receive compensation  worth about half the NFL minimum salary.

Um, let's round it up to Treefiddy...and it's just Surlyhorns Podcast on Spotify. Here's a link to the podcast forum if you want to download and listen at your desktop/post about the content of them.

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/forum/31-podcasts/

7 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

No one was asking the athletic department to coordinate with the athletes, but to at least coordinate with the donors on the outside to get NIL programs going. You think Oregon waited around on Phil Knight to come up with everything on his own, or did they help in coordinating the effort? Hell, look into The Oregon Accelerator.

Yep. It sucks that they not only didn't offer to help, but also willfully went out of their way to stand in the way of progress. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The 50k is for sure.  The Clark stuff is still raising money as I understand it.  When it hits its 150 million goal - then I believe the plan is to pay football 100k each and then distribute the rest to the other sports.

I think that's mostly correct, but I believe there is a lot of latitude in how much different positions / players get paid. I really don't think it's a straight 100K across the board. Some position groups will get more and some will get less. That's my recollection, which could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. 

I too am curious about what will get paid out for 2022. 

From Gerry at IT:

The Texas Longhorns have the No. 8 ranked recruiting class according to the On3 Consensus ranking.

There remains the possibility of signing a top 5 class with 17 On3 Consensus 4-star and 5-star recruits on the board with eight days until national signing day.

Quarterback Quinn Ewers is the most important recruit on the board, but it’s almost certainly the finish on the offensive line that will ultimately creating the finishing grade for the Longhorns staff.

Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood have seven On3 Consensus 5-stars and 4-stars remaining on the board, and simply must sign two or three. But let’s be clear, the staff needs to win on four.

Here is a look at the board with eight days until the early signing period.

Quarterback

Quinn Ewers, Southlake (Texas) Carroll

The Ohio State transfer may be a reach to put in with the high school prospects, but I’m returning him to his 2022 class. Texas Tech and TCU have had Ewers on around camp since Sunday. Ewers met with Steve Sarkisian Friday night. Texas would love for Ewers to get on campus before making a decision. I do not believe NIL is a driving force here. This is all about best avenue to the field immediately, and that’s where trust and a plan comes into play. TCU taking a commit from Josh Hoover minutes after meeting with Ewers isn’t how to win on trust. If Ewers genuinely wants to have a positive effect on a recruiting class with under a week until signing day, Texas will be his choice.

Wide receiver

Evan Stewart, Frisco (Texas) Liberty

Stewart has remained in contact with the On3 Consensus 5-star since his verbal to Texas A&M. The Aggies are trying to ride the recruiting class momentum wave home. Texas needs to win out for Ewers, and this could get very interesting. Will Stewart show up on one of the two campuses this weekend? Not out of the question.

Shazz Preston, Saint James (La.)

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian and staff made an in-home visit with the On3 Consensus 4-star last week. Preston is scheduled to make an official to Alabama this weekend. LSU remains in it. Georgia and Texas are on the peripheral barring a late change.

Savion Red, Grand Prairie (Texas)

Will head coach Steve Sarkisian push for Red when it comes down to it? We shall see. He’s a terrific, strong-bodied ball player for sure. He could play running back or slot receiver at the next level.

Offensive line

Kelvin Banks, OT, Humble (Texas) Summer Creek

The On3 Consensus 5-star tackle backed off his Oregon verbal Monday. Not it gets down to which program closer to home he will sign with December 15. IT believes Texas is that current favorite over LSU and possibly Texas A&M. Longhorns head coach Steve Sarkisian will make an in-home with the Banks family Friday. Alabama and Oklahoma are trying to push hard for Banks to use his final official visit on them this weekend. There is a chance Banks is on campus in Austin this weekend, however.

Devon Campbell, IOL, Arlington (Texas) Bowie

The On3 Consensus 5-star will make a second official visit to USC this weekend after a Lincoln Riley in-home Saturday. Nick Saban is not currently scheduled to go in-home this week leading to a Texas vs. USC finale. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood will be in-home Thursday night.

Kam Dewberry, IOL, Humble (Texas) Atascocita

The On3 Consensus 4-star will host Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood on Wednesday night following the Houston Touchdown Club awards banquet. Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher used his in-home last week. As of Monday afternoon, Texas was the lone in-home scheduled. LSU will very likely try to get in with Brian Kelly this week. IT believes Dewberry could be on campus at Texas A&M or Texas this weekend.

Neto Umeozulu, OT/IOL, Allen (Texas)

The wildcard recruitment is more of the same. The people at Allen High don’t have a feel. The Consensus 4-star is undecided. Texas HC Steve Sarkisian used his in-home last week with the chance Umeozulu was going to announce on his birthday, December 5. Alabama head coach Nick Saban is expected by this week. USC and Oklahoma are still trying as well.

Cameron Williams, OT, Duncanville (Texas)

Williams will not sign with Oregon. On3 was told that Monday. At that time, Texas and Texas A&M were considered the two main schools. Since that time, TCU has offered. Williams made a June OV to Miami, but the Hurricanes are not expected to be the choice.

Earnest Greene, IOL, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco

Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood were in-home with the On3 Consensus 4-star Monday. Alabama has had growing confidence with Georgia right there. Ohio State has also been in the mix. USC is trying to make a late push, without an offensive line coach.

Malik Agbo, IOL, Federal Way (Wash.) Todd Beamer

Kyle Flood will make another in-home visit today with the On3 Consensus 4-star lineman, this time with Steve Sarkisian. The Longhorns have been separating a little from Auburn. Oklahoma and Miami round out the top 4.

Linebacker

Harold Perkins, Cypress (Texas) Cy Park

Texas A&M has had the most confidence in recent weeks. LSU head coach Brin Kelly will make an in-home this week. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian is also expected to make an in-home this week. Mom prefers closer to Houston over LSU. Perkins favorite city/college area is Austin. Perkins is yet to use an official visit to LSU. All three schools will be trying to get him on campus one more time this weekend.

T.J. Dudley, Montgomery (Ala.) Montgomery Catholic

The Oregon decommit and On3 Consensus 4-star has been in contact with the Texas staff. Dudley made an official visit to Texas in late June prior to picking Oregon. New Florida head coach Billy Napier will make a push here too.

Safety

Bryce Anderson, Beaumont (Texas) West Brook

Texas has maintained contact. Anderson is not one that is on flip watch. As of today, he will not be on a campus this weekend. He’s headed out to Las Vegas Thursday to compete in rodeo, which is his first love.

Kendrick Law, Shreveport (La.) Captain Shreve

Texas safeties coach Blake Gideon has done a very good job pushing late. Nick Saban and Mike Norvell were in-home Monday. The On3 Consensus 4-star spoke with Brian Kelly Sunday night, and plans to make an official visit December 10. Alabama and LSU have been considered the top two for weeks.

Larry Turner-Gooden, Bishop Alemany (Calif.) Mission Hills

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian was in-home Monday with the 5-foot-11, 190-pound safety prospect. That should tell one all they need to know if there were questions of the Longhorns taking LT-G if he wants in. The On3 Consensus 4-star also has Maryland, Colorado and potentially USC in the mix.

Cornerback

Denver Harris, Houston (Texas) North Shore

I’m betting the On3 Consensus 5-star shows up on a campus at either Texas, Texas A&M or LSU this weekend. Alabama is still on the peripheral. All schools are still in what is another winding road recruitment in the 2022 cycle. Winning mom is huge here, as is the older brother’s input.

Terrance Brooks, Little Elm (Texas)

Texas has made an in-home visit and continues to try and work on the On3 Consensus 4-star cornerback. With that said, Ohio State has held a big lead throughout due to a strong bond with Kerry Coombs.

Xavion Brice, Arlington (Texas) Seguin

The Longhorns have already flipped one Oklahoma verbal in linebacker/EDGE Kobie McKinzie (Lubbock, Texas/Cooper). Getting the 6-foot-0, 180-pound Brice to follow through and make his OV this weekend would be even bigger. The Longhorns need two corners in this class. Right now, they don’t for sure have one.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Quarterback

Quinn Ewers, Southlake (Texas) Carroll

The Ohio State transfer may be a reach to put in with the high school prospects, but I’m returning him to his 2022 class. Texas Tech and TCU have had Ewers on around camp since Sunday. Ewers met with Steve Sarkisian Friday night. Texas would love for Ewers to get on campus before making a decision. I do not believe NIL is a driving force here. This is all about best avenue to the field immediately, and that’s where trust and a plan comes into play. TCU taking a commit from Josh Hoover minutes after meeting with Ewers isn’t how to win on trust. If Ewers genuinely wants to have a positive effect on a recruiting class with under a week until signing day, Texas will be his choice.

Man I love Bobby, but how is TCU taking a commitment from a 3-star QB going to really affect "Trust" or whatever with Ewers? You can consider him a '22 if you want, and I get that, but the fact is he isn't. He's not going to be threatened by a '22 3-star QB.

9 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

I asked a fucking question. And you are going off on my phrasing?  Scuse the fuck outta me. Maybe i whiffed on Sark and the staff. But ill ive heard on here for

a year is how fucked we are on NIL because of the administration. Thats a fact. 

Past that. Its a legitimate fucking question,  that you ignored. Ive heard Sark cant talk about NIL. I took that to mean he had reservations. Scuse the fuck outta me for having the wrong idea. 

Buncha bitchasses

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Just_asking_questions

"Just asking questions (also known as JAQing off) is a way of attempting to make wild accusations acceptable (and hopefully not legally actionable) by framing them as questions rather than statements. It shifts the burden of proof to one's opponent; rather than laboriously having to prove that all politicians are reptoid scum, one can pull out one single odd piece of evidence and force the opponent to explain why the evidence is wrong."

tldr: fuck off

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

59 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I don't think there's anything crazy about guys who play the most dangerous position on the field, after decades of being exploited for millions, getting paid an appropriate salary for their efforts and sacrifices.

33 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Man I love Bobby, but how is TCU taking a commitment from a 3-star QB going to really affect "Trust" or whatever with Ewers? You can consider him a '22 if you want, and I get that, but the fact is he isn't. He's not going to be threatened by a '22 3-star QB.

If anything, it shows a lack of confidence that TCU is a contender.  I don't see how you can comment on trust at all unless you were in the room and heard what promises were made.

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

BBB is right that Kobie is having an in-home with BV.  I don't know why the expectation is that he is going to flip back though.  By all accounts he was thrilled when Texas re-engaged and has been ready to flip since he was re-offered by Sark.

They also canned the entire defensive staff. It's basically a new relationship with everyone.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bob Lives! said:

I know this makes me a terrible person with no hope, but what’s the name of the podcast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the surly horns podcast. lol

Season 3 is the entire saga of Burnt Ends. Season 4 is going to be the saga of HWH and BMF

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Except Texas will get the better player, a guy who he was convinced at one point was going to aggy. So there's that.

Yea not to mention they need bonafide OTs as much as we do. They’re still both going there in my mind until they aren’t tho.

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Billy and Perroni both conceding Banks - have to feel pretty good about that.

Also, wasn't there some scuttlebutt that if Banks and Campbell went to UT that Dewberry would be likely to follow? I thought some 995er was putting out that Dewberry wanted to play with them, but my recruiting memory has become mush the past few days.

(Agbo/LTG/Banks/Ewers/QB update ... )

Breakfast Bites: New Crystal Ball picks in for Longhorns

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Breakfast Bites: New Crystal Ball picks in for Longhorns

Mike Roach

— I've entered a Crystal Ball pick for four-star offensive tackle Malik Agbo. I mentioned last week that I felt the momentum had swung toward Texas and sources I spoke with were starting to feel good about chances to land the big man from the Pacific Northwest. I set the confidence score at 6 which is a bit lower than I'd like. I think this ultimately comes down to Texas and Auburn after talking to sources yesterday. Auburn has been up and down in this recruitment, but Texas has been hard-charging. Agbo has been somewhat finicky throughout the cycle as different programs rose and fell for him. That leaves me with a bit of reticence but I think Texas is in a position to close here.

— I'm also entering a pick for four-star Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany safety Larry Turner-Gooden.  Texas has been in a strong position since the summer when Turner-Gooden visited.  The Longhorns have been pushing hard for the versatile athlete and hosted him twice this fall on unofficial visits.  Steve Sarkisian just completed his in home visit last night, and a couple of sources I spoke with feel Texas will eventually win out over programs like Maryland and Colorado.

— Texas and Texas A&M have been the schools mentioned for Kelvin Banks, but I'd also watch for LSU to become a player. Banks officially visited Baton Rouge in June and loved the experience. LSU OL coach Brad Davis was able to strike up a strong bond with him. LSU's staff is still somewhat in transition following the hiring of Brian Kelly, but the Banks said in the past that LSU was a childhood favorite. As for Texas, according to a source I spoke with last night, the Longhorns are working on figuring out when to go in-home with the high-value target. When I asked about a potential date, I was told that the Longhorns wanted to be in as late as possible looking to make the last pitch to Banks. The NCAA dead period goes into effect at 7 AM on December 13 and runs through signing day on December 15. I'd need to check, but I believe Texas could realistically go in-home late this week and once again on Sunday.

— Here's your morning Quinn Ewers update. Information has been really tight throughout the race so far, and that's exactly the way Ewers and his family want it. Last night I spoke to a key source I'd been trying to reach who told me that Texas is right in the thick of the race and comfortable with their position at the moment. I asked if there were plans in the works for Ewers to make a trip to Austin, and I was told that they might be, but this source didn't feel it was necessary. As I mentioned over the weekend, the family has been to DKR before, they've seen the campus, and the brand new facilities aren't really a huge deal for him at the moment. This source didn't have a handle on a timeline, but it doesn't seem like anyone is getting antsy at the moment.

— I mentioned this early in the week, but I don't believe all eggs are in one basket when it comes to quarterbacks in the portal. We've heard the Longhorns have done some work on names already in there, and there are a few big possible names we are hearing that could be in after bowl season. I think Texas would love to nail down Ewers and the recruiting boost that would come with it, but this staff has been pretty good about giving themselves options in recruiting and this is just another example.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not really a Riley type WR is he?  Williams is a big, plodding, Tom Herman-type WR who is going to use his size/height to go up and fight for the ball - but he's not going to run by anyone.

Could be.  I read somewhere that he was going to USC for a visit but that may have been wishful thinking but USC. 

Assuming we get Agbo - that puts Texas at 3 OL commits.

We're still in it for Campbell, Banks, and Williams - and I assume we'd take all 3 if given the chance. 

No one seems to know what's happening with Neto.  Is he a take regardless?

Dewberry hasn't committed but I think everyone assumes he is off to aggy.

Am I missing anyone (not including a couple of portals)?

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Get fucked, you fat embezzling piece of shit. Get fucked and stay fucked. 

If anyone wants to see a selfish asshole who is an impediment to everything Texas can accomplish in this space for his own personal gain, look no further. 

Who the fuck is paying this guy?  Why would any Texas fan subscribe to this assholes site?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Assuming we get Agbo - that puts Texas at 3 OL commits.

We're still in it for Campbell, Banks, and Williams - and I assume we'd take all 3 if given the chance. 

No one seems to know what's happening with Neto.  Is he a take regardless?

Dewberry hasn't committed but I think everyone assumes he is off to aggy.

Am I missing anyone (not including a couple of portals)?

Greene is the other big one, I think. But, he seems like a Bama/Georgia lean.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting