Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

11 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Took too long for someone to mention the Ox-Bow Incident. Yojimbo is better than anything Leone ever did and Seven Samurai shits on Magnificent Seven.

Fistful of Dollars' biggest problem is that Yojimbo is better in every way. Standing alone, it's really really good.

Never seen Magnificent Seven but I suspect it'll have the same problem.

Edited by texifornia

9 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Took too long for someone to mention the Ox-Bow Incident. Yojimbo is better than anything Leone ever did and Seven Samurai shits on Magnificent Seven.

While I won't argue the greatness of Kurosawa, I'm re-watching Good, Bad and the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West and Once Upon a Time in America before I'm re-watching Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, and Throne of Blood (underrated).

the definitive ricky queso list:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - one of the best original screenplays ever by William Goldman - "I've got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals" , tons of star power, including prime Katharine Ross.

The Outlaw Josey Wales - a film so good even Sondra Locke can't ruin it.

The Long Riders - It'd be great even without the brothers playing brothers angle, but that just puts it over the top somehow, without making it feel like a gimmick.Ā 

Ā Stagecoach - young John Wayne just bursts from the screen into superstardom.Ā  A great cast, and you could see Ford's career taking shape.

Jeremiah Johnson - makes you want to move to the mountains.Ā  It was the film Dances With Wolves aspired to be, but failed...

Open Range - soooo close.Ā  Great movie.Ā  Duvall still playing Gus McRae, but I can't ever get enough of that.Ā  If it had ended a couple of hours earlier, right after the shootout, it'd be all-time, but the weepy, interminable whininess before Costner finally ends up with the girl, which errbody already knew he would, almost ruins the whole thing.Ā Ā 

and a whole bunch of others I'll remember after I hit 'Submit'...

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, ricky queso said:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - one of the best original screenplays ever by William Goldman - "I've got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals" , tons of star power, including prime Katharine Ross.

The Long Riders - It'd be great even without the brothers playing brothers angle, but that just puts it over the top somehow, without making it feel like a gimmick.Ā 

Ā Stagecoach - young John Wayne just bursts from the screen into superstardom.Ā  A great cast, and you could see Ford's career taking shape.

Jeremiah Johnson - makes you want to move to the mountains.Ā  It was the film Dances With Wolves aspired to be, but failed...

Open Range - soooo close.Ā  Great movie.Ā  Duvall still playing Gus McRae, but I can't ever get enough of that.Ā  If it had ended a couple of hours earlier, right after the shootout, it'd be all-time, but the weepy, interminable whininess before Costner finally ends up with the girl, which errbody already knew he would, almost ruins the whole thing.Ā Ā 

Good call on The Long Riders.Ā  Always liked the way they did much of the final shootout in slow motion.Ā 

Tombstone and HoHW are fine westerns but theyā€™re not even close to the best. Ā Hell, they may not even be top 10. Ā And, Unforgiven is dogshit.

I dont remember a single person who saw Unforgiven around the time of its release and hated it. Now that opinion is all over the place. I liken it to the revisionist opinion lumping grunge bands like Pearl Jam with late 90ā€™s pop bands like Creed.

At the time when Unforgiven came out, there was nothing like it. Even the antihero westerns in the 60ā€™s and 70ā€™s really just glamorized the violence. Unforgiven deconstructed it at a time when Westerns were few and far between, let alone attempting a honest look at the West and gunfighters.

Now, with all the tv and movies that attempt to be realistic, its not as fresh. But you see that sucker in a theater again, youā€™d see it holds up.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Probably belongs on the movie thread but The Salvation is a fun watch, as is the Proposition. Also would add the Man from Snowy River. Ā These aren't American Westerns in the American sense. Ā  Ā Ā 

The Proposition was awesome. Guy Pierce was good and Danny Huston was fantastic. Screenplay was written by Nick Cave, who also did the score along with Warren Ellis (Nick Cave also did the score for Hell or High Water). Great one...

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I dont remember a single person who saw Unforgiven around the time of its release and hated it. Now that opinion is all over the place. I liken it to the revisionist opinion lumping grunge bands like Pearl Jam with late 90ā€™s pop bands like Creed.

At the time when Unforgiven came out, there was nothing like it. Even the antihero westerns in the 60ā€™s and 70ā€™s really just glamorized the violence. Unforgiven deconstructed it at a time when Westerns were few and far between, let alone attempting a honest look at the West and gunfighters.

Now, with all the tv and movies that attempt to be realistic, its not as fresh. But you see that sucker in a theater again, youā€™d see it holds up.

Iā€™m think Iā€™m literally the only one on this thread calling it awful, but ok.

Great Job Yes GIF by Hollywood Suite

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ricky queso said:

Fun fact, when the screenplay for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid sold, it was the highest price for a screenplay ever, at the time.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

While I won't argue the greatness of Kurosawa, I'm re-watching Good, Bad and the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West and Once Upon a Time in America before I'm re-watching Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, and Throne of Blood (underrated).

I don't really care for Once Upon a Time in America but I've seen the other 2 plenty of times tho the forgotten one For a Few Dollars more only a few times. While Leone was a master cinematographer and a brilliant use of music the acting, narrative and pacing of his films is sloppy at best and that's not even accounting for the ridiculous voice over work. Leone gets way too much credit for "revitalizing" the western

Edited by Michael Knight

Iā€™m think Iā€™m literally the only one on this thread calling it awful, but ok.
200.gif

But OK, Iā€™ve literally seen multiple Unforgiven criticism on this thing called the inter webs, to the point where I noticed it. Youā€™re at least the third person sharing this opinion about a 30-yr old movie in the last month.

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Also, since I'm as much of a fan of trainwrecks as the best guy, I'll chime in here. A handful of favorites below

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I can't believe this one hasn't been mentioned more.
The Good The Bad and the Ugly
Tombstone
Dances with Wolves
Wyatt Earp - Completely different from Tombstone, still awesome. Dennis Quaid's Doc Holliday deserves plenty of accolades, although Kilmer is epic.
True Grit - Both of them are fucking great.

If we're including modern westerns, I'm going Hell or High Water and then No Country, by a nose. All of Tyler Sheridan's shit is fucking good.Ā 

Older school Westerns I'll give honorable mentions to El Dorado and McKlintock! Watched it in school, the original The Alamo doesn't get enough love either.Ā 

Django Unchained is great, Hateful Eight is great (although it's really a fucking play). I'm sure I'm missing plenty.Ā 

Huge fan of McLlintock!Ā  If you haven't watched it, you should...

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It's probably not crazy that "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" hasn't been listed, but it was well done and highly entertaining because of its quirkiness. Numerous terrific actors in it, and it was all shot in Texas.

It wouldn't be crazy for someone to include it, either.Ā  Criminally underappreciated.Ā  Many actors, confronted with their directorial debut, conform to a template that results in a facile, ifĀ  pleasant, movie.Ā  Certain actors like Bill Paxton - RIP - eschewed ease and comfort as a director and made the hard choices, which is what TLJ did here.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I don't really care for Once Upon a Time in America but I've seen the other 2 plenty of times tho the forgotten one For a Few Dollars more only a few times. While Leone was a master cinematographer and a brilliant use of music the acting, narrative and pacing of his films is sloppy at best and that's not even accounting for the ridiculous voice over work. Leone gets way too much credit for "revitalizing" the western

Once Upon a Time in the West is Leone's best film and absolutely one of the ten best westerns ever.Ā  It's both elegiac and haunting.Ā  Morricone's best film score.

2 hours ago, CptnJiggleBits said:

Yes!! We are doing rails now! I'm in!! And who's canyon are we careening into again?

nicholas-cage-crazy.gif.a5472f12a33e37f79144810e147f3f9b.gif

Fuck that. Iā€™m going BoysTown. You can go into any canyon youā€™d like. Iā€™ll be watching, doing Scarface lines and getting a blowjob from a 55y/o Mexican hooker who can slice bananas with her cooter.Ā 

Ā 

Observations and notes from day 3 of All-American Bowl practices

Mike Roach

Ā 

Spoiler

Observations and notes from day 3 of All-American Bowl practices

Mike Roach
Ā 

ā€” Four-star Saint Louis (Mo.) St. Mary's wide receiver Kevin Coleman has been a stand-out performer during this week's All-American Bowl practices with some elite quickness and big play ability. I spoke to him after practice today as he prepares to make a commitment on Saturday. Right now the buzz is on Florida State or Miami to land him, but Coleman did say that Texas reached out recently following the hiring of new wide receiver coach Brenann Marion. Coleman said he doesn't know Marion, but he loved his relationship with Steve Sarkisian, loved Austin, and is close with former St. Louis high school receiver Marcus Washington. When Coleman makes his decision on Saturday. Texas won't be the pick, but it doesn't mean it's the end of the road. Coleman has used four official visits and has one remaining. He told me he could use it in January even after making his pick and is interested to see how hard Texas will pursue him. As I reported yesterday, a source I spoke with was doubtful Texas would look to the high school level much more in 2022, but those kinds of things are always fluid.

ā€” The West team spent a lot of time on install and walk-throughs today, so Jaylon Guilbeau didn't see a lot of action. I spoke to several coaches on the west squad who praised his intelligence, vision and how coachable he's been through this week. I've always been a little higher on Guilbeau than most people I talk to because I think his floor will make him a pretty safe bet to play well at the college level while his ceiling still has room for growth.

ā€” J'Mond Tapp continued to flash moments of brilliance today recording a few one-on-one wins and a would-be sack during the team portion of this morning's practice. Tapp just does everything smooth and I was interested this week to see how hot his motor ran. I've been impressed with the way he's competed this week and his demeanor around the field. One coach I talked to on the West staff called Tapp "a different cat." He was somewhat referring to his playstyle but also his personality which is incredibly unique in kids I've covered. He's a character for sure.

ā€” Four-star Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany safety Larry Turner-Gooden is slated to arrive today. Injured players not participating in the game come later in the week and Turner-Gooden will make his announcement on Saturday. As I reported earlier this week, I expect Texas to be the pick for the California defensive back who was formerly committed to Arizona State. Turner-Gooden missed most of the year with an upper body injury, but he could figure into a few different positions within the Texas secondary.

Ā 

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

One coach I talked to on the West staff called Tapp "a different cat." He was somewhat referring to his playstyle but also his personality which is incredibly unique in kids I've covered. He's a character for sure.

"Incredibly unique" doesn't mean anything different than just "unique" my dude

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Bronson is horribly miscast, Cardinales character is terrible, Robards is hammy and belongs in another movie. Its also way too long and the story makes no sense

The opening scene with the Henry Fonda reveal is allsome but yeah itā€™s goes very slowly downhill in the 2 1/2 hours that follow. Also Charles Bronsonā€™s fucking harmonica ā€œtuneā€ is headache inducingĀ 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting