Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

21 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Yeah I agree. Moving DK to C meant we had a bad C and a bad RT instead of a bad C and a good RT. That was dumb.

I’d rather have Devon as a stud Guard and Jones as an average RT instead of Campbell as an average Tackle and someone else as an average G.

As long as he’s actually open to G, should work out fine. And pretty sure he was a G in the UA All American game so he must not be too set on T.

I don't think that's the tradeoff at hand though. Part of what makes Campbell such a highly rated prospect is that he projects as a plus pretty much wherever you put him. He is 6'3" with an 81" (6'9") wing span per On3. He's like a create-a-player out of Madden as a Guard, but his size is fine for tackle too.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

This Campbell talk is the same thing with somebody every year. We hear about how this badass OL recruit can't be a tackle because he doesn't have NFL tackle dimensions.

Well we're not thinking about playing him at fucking NFL tackle. Connor Williams is a barely passable NFL guard. That didn't make him not a really good college tackle.

I don't know. In his last game against Tech he wasn't even passable....

17 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I don't think that's the tradeoff at hand though. Part of what makes Campbell such a highly rated prospect is that he projects as a plus pretty much wherever you put him. He is 6'3" with an 81" (6'9") wing span per On3. He's like a create-a-player out of Madden as a Guard, but his size is fine for tackle too.

Per Gerry, his arm length is 33" which is short in his mind, but long enough for college tackle. He's about 6'4 in his cleats, which is still plenty big enough for college tackle. 

28 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Per Gerry, his arm length is 33" which is short in his mind, but long enough for college tackle. He's about 6'4 in his cleats, which is still plenty big enough for college tackle. 

It really isnt about Campbell. It is about where the guys like Banks and Cam Williams are. Campbell has a lot of positional versatility. I think he can play probably 4 of the 5 positions (LT seems like a stretch, but you never know). He is the guy you "break glass in case of emergency". I would put him at the biggest position of need. For me that would be Tackle first and Center next, if Banks and Cam are ahead of schedule I would like to see him at center. I may differ from many, but I have always believed the 2 most important positions on the OL are center and LT. 

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-immediate-impact-recruits-2022-class-recruiting-rankings-182430368/

Devon Campbell, OG, Texas

247Sports Composite: No. 9

It’s risky to include a non-early enrollee on a list like this, especially along the offensive line, but I’m that big a believer in Campbell and what he’ll provide Texas. The No. 1-ranked o-lineman in the country, Campbell is 6-foot-3, 310 pounds with athleticism that would make a lot of skill players jealous. Campbell has college-ready strength and pairs that with speed (sub-5 seconds in the 40) that makes him a devastating second-level blocker. And it’s not like Campbell will compete with an established starter. His biggest competition to start is second-year freshman Hayden Connor and true freshman early enrollee Cole Hutson. Campbell is too good to keep off the field for an o-line needy program.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Those are a bitch. You can tell they took toll on him by comparing the first rep to the second. Rep 3 and his ass might hit the floor on the clean portion. 

When it comes to the clean and jerk I've always excelled at the jerk portion with the clean as a necessary follow up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
After 6 years of Christian Jones and Tristan Nickelson playing OT for us, you would think people would be more open to the idea of someone who can actually move his feet playing OT instead of searching for the next really tall, long-armed guy who moves like the Tin Man.

Early RT Kerstetter was a revelation. way undersized but at least he engaged the defender on every play.

6 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

Be sure to post this on his commitment thread so the surly masses can experience a collective cardiac arrhythmia when it bumps to the top… 

Half the board running to do just that.

250A1801-B654-47DD-8384-32348592CA27.gif

Edited by IDIOTsavant
Gif wasn’t working
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...