Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Wells was listing height and weight for incoming lineman

Banks 6’5 320

Campbell 6’4 317

Williams 6’6 350

Robertson 6’4 302

Neto 6’4 285 (they had him that back in the fall, and he looks a lot bigger than that now unless he was below that in the fall)

Don’t think he said anything on Agbo

Edited by OB3
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, futureman said:

in recruiting he was always listed at 6’3” but I read, several times, expert speculation on a highly respected website that he was actually 6’2”. 

Im 6'1"  i can look nate Newton in the eye. 

Nobody has said anything about the guys wingspan. Which is what counts. 

Lets just hope he doesn't lose weight and his wingspan shrinks. 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Im 6'1"  i can look nate Newton in the eye. 

Nobody has said anything about the guys wingspan. Which is what counts. 

Lets just hope he doesn't lose weight and his wingspan shrinks. 

Stahp before I start worrying about the numbers

2 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

Stahp before I start worrying about the numbers

I’d give it 2-3 days before the kool aid starts flowing and we hear from the practice reports about how Banks/Williams/Umeozulu are the next Sam Cosmi and Campbell could play anywhere on the line.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Octavian said:

I’d give it 2-3 days before the kool aid starts flowing and we hear from the practice reports about how Banks/Williams/Umeozulu are the next Sam Cosmi and Campbell could play anywhere on the line.

I'd be more happy to hear that Zac Swanson is dominating at edge.

Bobby/Gerry from yesterday - this is only including the players who reported yesterday (not the early enrollees).

Bobby:

Most likely to succeed: Devon Campbell

First to see the field in a game: Agiye Hall/Will Stone on special teams.

Three- or four-year starters:
 Devon Campbell, Kelvin Banks, Cam Williams, Neto Umeozulu, Brenen Thompson, Will Stone.

Highest upside (offense): Cam Williams

Highest upside (defense): J’Mond Tapp

Most physical: Kelvin Banks/Savion Red

Fastest: Brenen Thompson

Quickest: Savion Red

Most athletic: Agiye Hall/Devon Campbell/Kristopher Ross

Most underrated: Austin Jordan

Boom or bust: J’Mond Tapp/Ethan Burke/Savion Red

As you can see, I’m a big believer in the OL class. Barring injury, I just see no way the class doesn’t produce at least three multi-year starters.

I also feel like there are some hidden gems in this recruiting class. Savion Red is one of them. There are no better football players in this class than Red, but he’s also a boom or bust candidate because he doesn’t necessarily have a well defined position at the college level, even though he’s starting out at receiver.

I selected Devon Campbell over Kelvin Banks as the most likely to succeed because of Campbell‘s multi-sport background. Time after time, the stats show that multi-sport athletes take to the college game quicker and better than their counterparts. So even though I think Banks is a fantastic prospect, Campbell is more likely to succeed.

Gerry:

Most likely to succeed: Kelvin Banks

First to see the field in a game: Agiye Hall/Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey covering on special teams.

Three- or four-year starters: Devon Campbell, Kelvin Banks, Cam Williams, Neto Umeozulu, Brenen Thompson, Will Stone.

Highest upside (offense): Cam Williams

Highest upside (defense): J’Mond Tapp

Most physical: Kelvin Banks/Savion Red

Fastest: Brenen Thompson

Quickest: Savion Red

Most athletic: Agiye Hall/Devon Campbell/Kristopher Ross/Ethan Burke

Most underrated: Ethan Burke

Boom or bust: J’Mond Tapp/Malik Agbo

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Bobby/Gerry from yesterday - this is only including the players who reported yesterday (not the early enrollees).

Bobby:

Gerry:

Why are Agiye Hall and Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey mentioned but our starting corner and QB are not mentioned?

Gerry's never been very high on Agbo. I'm interested in seeing how he compares to the others now they're all here.

Regarding Stone, Dicker was offered legit NIL money to come back for another season. His agent convinced him he'd be a 4th or 5th round pick and didn't need NIL. Whoops. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 4

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding Stone, Dicker was offered legit NIL money to come back for another season. His agent convinced him he'd be a 4th or 5th round pick and didn't need NIL. Whoops. 

dang. sucks for him and sucks for Texas.

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Gerry's never been very high on Agbo. I'm interested in seeing how he compares to the others now they're all here.

Dicker was a much better kicker before he was needed as punter. I don't think his punting is good enough for the NFL and his kicking isn't really either. I think if he just focuses on kicking, though, that he can be very successful.

43 minutes ago, satyanash said:

How??? He was above-average but hardly exceptional. Anthony Fera was 10x the kicker Dicker was and he went undrafted.

You got me. I think Dicker was fine, but he was never someone I viewed as special at either P or K. When I heard he thought he was going to be drafted, I laughed. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The mean average of kicker/punters is like UDFA. He's not even exceptional at either position. The greatest kicker in the history of the NFL was a former Horn and went UDFA.

4 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Bobby:

Gerry:

So neither of them think any o-line recruit will be a day one starter, since they didn't have them in the earliest to see the field category? Not sure that's correct. 

4 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

So neither of them think any o-line recruit will be a day one starter, since they didn't have them in the earliest to see the field category? Not sure that's correct. 

It just said first to see the field, and technically the special teams unit sees the field first.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

They mentioned special teams for the first to play scenario, which would presumably be the opening kickoff.

Edited by AP101S
Nope was faster
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/4/2022 at 12:16 PM, Mittens said:

I have, ever since he showed up in Austin. There's no way he has the quickness or power to be a better athlete than Tapp or Finkley, in the way that edge rushers are evaluated as athletes.  I've also enjoyed watching the sunshine pumpers in this thread try to hype Burke up as anything more than a project take who will need several years of S&C before he even has a chance to see the field (other than ST maybe).  

Burke has been a D1 lacrosse player since he stepped on the field as a freshman.  His size is an anomaly for that game and his skills/head are top notch there. From a Longhorn perspective, I hope he becomes what folks here think he can be.  Personally, I don't think has big time college program pass rusher in him, and he's playing somewhere/thing else come fall 2024.

Whatever the surlyshaming equivalent of OldTakesExposed is, this certainly applies.  Couldn't have been more wrong.  Kid is a fucking beast.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

I thought it was pretty clear once you saw his frame, length, quickness combo that he had a chance to be good. Then you add his motor and see how seriously he takes himself/his craft and you think he's more likely to maximize his potential as a result.

He's ahead of schedule.

The more surprising development is seeing how ahead of schedule Tapp is against the run. 

Burke led the team in sacks and 2nd in TFLs in his second season. He didn't even get the benefit of a redshirt season. Vasek did and he will be equally ready to kick ass next year.

I’m glad we have a legit white guy. 2? Now that’s rare on defense. Are we becoming Michigan/Iowa?

6 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

I was sold on Burke because we took him from Michigan and it appears he is growing into that typical B1G low rated white dude who turns into a monster DE after several years.

I'm a sucker for any edge rusher who's 6'5+ and has long arms. Obviously there can be studs in other sizes, but my preference is to take big swings on guys with length even if you're def gonna occasionally get some guys who stink