Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Top coach salaries are 30% of top player salaries. And that's with a salary cap. The highest paid coach makes less than the 16th highest paid QB. Less than the 23rd highest paid edge rusher, and so on. Coach salaries are definitely curbed by player salaries.

Just because coaches make less than (some) players, doesn't mean that the players' salaries are affecting coaches' salaries. Coaches salaries are market driven and if it takes $10MM to pry Rhule away from Baylor, that's his pay, regardless of what the players make. Especially with a salary cap that ensures teams are wildly profitable.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hornlover said:

Just because coaches make less than (some) players, doesn't mean that the players' salaries are affecting coaches' salaries. Coaches salaries are market driven and if it takes $10MM to pry Rhule away from Baylor, that's his pay, regardless of what the players make. Especially with a salary cap that ensures teams are wildly profitable.

Are you serious right now? You think NFL coaching salaries would be the exact same if revenues were the same and players were limited to, say $25K per year?

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

You mean, just like college football pre-2021? Seems to be about the right ballpark.

Annual revenue per team isn't even in the same galaxy. Come on. And NFL teams don't have to subsidize staff salaries for 30 other sports teams.

Edited by Huckleberry

16 minutes ago, HornsTX231994 said:

Depends on what position Knowles coaches and who he's replacing. I feel like Coombs is being pushed out after losing play-caling duties early in the year. They may be trying to get him to leave for another job so they don't have to fire him. 

He's a great position coach. They probably really want to keep him, but obviously can't let him be the real DC.

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Annual revenue per team isn't even in the same galaxy. Come on. And NFL teams don't have to subsidize staff salaries for 30 other sports teams.

In 2019 Texas Longhorns had $156.9 million in football revenue against $43 million in expenses, for $113 million in profit. 

In 2019 the Jacksonville Jaguars (probably amongst the lowest in the NFL) had $361 million in revenue, $185 million in player expenses (not including coaches), and $69 million in profit

Obviously coaches salaries aren't in a vacuum, but players salaries wouldn't prevent Jerry Jones from offering Bellichek $50M/ year.

The market is just the market, and if college salaries keep rising, NFL salaries will keep rising as a result in order to try to lure the best talent, regardless of whether player salaries rise or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

In 2019 Texas Longhorns had $156.9 million in football revenue against $43 million in expenses, for $113 million in profit. 

In 2019 the Jacksonville Jaguars (probably amongst the lowest in the NFL) had $361 million in revenue, $185 million in player expenses (not including coaches), and $69 million in profit

Obviously coaches salaries aren't in a vacuum, but players salaries wouldn't prevent Jerry Jones from offering Bellichek $50M/ year.

The market is just the market, and if college salaries keep rising, NFL salaries will keep rising as a result in order to try to lure the best talent, regardless of whether player salaries rise or not.

The Texas Longhorns football revenue subsidizes all women and olympic sports.  Title IX.  

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

He's a great position coach. They probably really want to keep him, but obviously can't let him be the real DC.

He is a really solid coach in the backend. The guy who took over for him as play-caller was the Secondary Coach. Al Washington is the LB coach. Knowles is listed as DC/LB coach on OkSt's website.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah I referenced yesterday how dumb Michigan State boosters must feel right now. I think my example was why pay Mel fucking Tucker $9.5M every year instead of paying Tucker $5M, the offensive line $2.5M, and the defensive line $2M every year? Which one would lead to more winning?

Yes!  And when the team wins and the coach asks for a raise you tell them to get fucked and promote a coordinator 

18 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

So the lowest revenue NFL team (private entity right? so based only on what they admit to making not necessarily what they actually make) more than doubles the highest revenue college program. That just agrees with what I said. 

I'd apologize to everyone for sidetracking the thread but I mean we're talking about Swedish vocabulary. 

Edited by Huckleberry

51 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I just don't see it as an apples to apples comparison. There are numerous complicating elements to the money around university sports versus the pros. If a fanbase has a choice to overpay a foundering coach and his staff an additional kicker in an extension versus paying for a position group on one of the teams, the latter beats the former if it's an either or choice. If you want to compare something like that more accurately in the pros, I'll argue that choosing to let a LB free agent walk because more resources had to be allocated to keep the star CB is more apt. 

Afternoon Recruiting Notes: Recapping another busy day on the recruiting trail

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Afternoon Recruiting Notes: Recapping another busy day on the recruiting trail

Mike Roach

— Texas coaches went in-home with new commit Kobie McKinzie today. Steve Sarkisian joined for his one visit, and it was an important one from what I'm told. McKinzie has been hearing from new Oklahoma coach Brent Venables and the Sooners are pushing hard to win him back. The Texas meeting went well from what I was told. The Longhorns are aware of the OU push and spoke to the family about the possibility of shutting things down. From what I've heard, McKinzie feels comfortable with his decision and sources at Lubbock-Cooper feel it sticks. Still, this is one to watch as we head to signing day.

— I spoke to a few different sources today regarding offensive line targets Kelvin Banks and Cameron Williams. With Oregon now open, other schools are jumping in to try and pull their attention away. I haven't confirmed anything with Williams or Banks, but sources feel both could push their recruitments to February in an effort to slow the process down and make a clear decision. In fact, several schools are looking to save their head coach visits for January hoping a drawn out recruitment evens the field. Texas wanted to go in home late this week with Banks to try and push for a commitment leading up to signing day. There's a reason I was hesitant to immediately put a pick in for Banks, and that was because I felt a drawn out process could possibly be coming. We are working on contacting Banks and those around him for more clarity, but his timeline over the next week will be something to watch. For Williams, Miami was a school he visited and enjoyed before making his original commitment. His connection to Cristobal and Alex Mirabal is strong and the Oregon coaches are making him an immediate priority. Sources I spoke with feel Texas is positioned well with both, but they will also likely have a battle on their hands for both big offensive linemen.

— Another day in the Quinn Ewers saga means another new batch of information to sort through. Just about every time I believe I have a handle on the situation from the information I've heard, a new piece changes enters the picture and changes the course. Today I heard some pretty strong confidence from a key source on the Texas Tech side. In fact, most of the public buzz has been in favor of Texas Tech. As I've mentioned, those at Texas have been extremely quiet when it comes to the subject. It leaves me wondering if one side is vocal because there's substance there or because there's a desire to create as much noise as possible. Leaning on my past experience in situations like these, the side that is quieter usually works that way for a reason. While it's instructive to understand that, it doesn't mean that's the case in this particular situation. Tuning out the noise can be tough because everyone seems to have heard something on a story where the key players are going through great lengths to protect the information. I'm not sure when a decision will come, but I expect both Texas and Texas Tech want something to happen in the next few days for the sake of recruiting.

Just now, Tex-19 said:

I mean better than USC imo but here come the bags

The issue is he cancels last minute because USC likely not getting OU's OL coach.  Basically everything have lined up for him to join the Texas roster.  Instead, he takes a 180 and goes to Georgia this weekend.  Kid doesnt want to come.

1 minute ago, westexhorn said:

The issue is he cancels last minute because USC likely not getting OU's OL coach.  Basically everything have lined up for him to join the Texas roster.  Instead, he takes a 180 and goes to Georgia this weekend.  Kid doesnt want to come.

Or maybe he just wants to go on a free recruiting trip for the last time in his life while doing all his due diligence on options. He's been pretty structured with his process the whole time. Seems like an overreaction.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, westexhorn said:

If you were a high school kid, why would you waste an opportunity to have free travel where you get wined and dined? It’s entirely possible that you’re right and he doesn’t want to come, but I don’t think that’s necessarily the read from this.

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Feels like Campbell and Banks are looking for any reason not to come here.

Or maybe they just want to go on free recruiting trips for the last time in their lives while doing all their due diligence on options. They've been pretty structured with their  processes the whole time. Seems like an overreaction.

• Hook 'Em 1

Roach is saying Devon was always going to take a 5th visit, which ties with other reporting over the last month. Would you rather have that visit be to our perceived top competitor (USC) or find out that USC is out bc of Bill B and instead he's taking a visit to a school that hasn't really been in the running (UGA)?

Just now, Getafix said:

FYI ... 

image.thumb.png.411fe53ef2c075a56be9ca5aba0511cd.png

Yeah so our #1 competitor was replaced with a "someone else" who was about to not even get a visit if Bill B had gone to USC. 

Look, UGA could come out of nowhere, always a worry (less of a worry thanks to the Pancake Factory) but overall today's Campbell developments sure seem positive..

• Hook 'Em 1

My nephew will get brought up on a recruiting board here in the coming years. He is being recruited by everyone in the country from the bottom (aggie) to top ivy league schools. He is being thorough and is visiting the shit out of every school that will have him. It is an experience he wants to enjoy. Yall don't get it and I don't get it but it is par for the course. I send his mom every NIL deal Texas has, but he still wants to play the game. Chill.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting