Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Hudson Standish:

A week out from the first National Signing Day window opening, IT went through seven Texas Longhorns recruiting thoughts and notes centered around the 2022 class.

1. The Quinn Ewers decision presents the widest variance in outcomes of any recruitment in recent memory (IMO). If the Longhorns do nab Ewers they have a clear selling point to close out the 2022 cycle with multiple five-stars and a former No. 1 signal-caller to attract portal talent. The move would also add plenty of fuel to the 2023 recruiting effort with the slight caveat that it is not clear how The Manning Family would adjust to Ewers presence on campus.

However, if Texas loses the H2H battle with Texas Tech, as I mentioned on Monday there would be an overwhelmingly negative perception that could be extremely tough for the Longhorns to overcome to finish out the '22 cycle and head into 2023. While Texas could still wind up with a very solid portal QB take and a 2023 recruiting bellcow like Arch Manning to eventually offset the negative perception, the Horns must avoid this possibility at all costs with Texas A&M recruiting at a national number one level, OU likely to receive a new coach bump, along with Texas Tech, TCU, and Baylor likely recruiting at their highest ever levels in 2023. No pressure Sark 

2. IT spoke with multiple sources that believed former TCU commit and 2022 Everman IOL Seth Martin would not receive an offer from Texas.

Martin was visited by WR coach/area recruiter Andre Coleman last week, but the Longhorns increasing confidence on the OL recruiting front after Mario Cristobal's move to Oregon and the likely Riley/Bedenbaugh split likely will give the needed boost to avoid contingencies.

3. In the recruiting notes I posted on Monday, I mentioned a nugget that:

"IT caught up with a high-profile recruit this weekend that spoke with near-certainty about Quinn Ewers ending up in Austin. That same recruit strongly believed that if Quinn Ewers did end up committing to Texas that Five Star+ WR Evan Stewart would end up following suit with a flip to Texas."

Another recruit hit up IT and said they were hearing the exact same thing regarding the potential combo move of Ewers + Stewart along with a previously reported IT nugget that former Texas commit Armani Winfield was asking around about the possibility of re-joining the class.

4. IT caught up with a source that was very confident that 2022 Euless Trinity RB Ollie Gordon would remain faithful to his Oklahoma State commitment and sign with the Pokes on NSD1. Texas and TE Coach Jeff Banks continue to push hard for Gordon to visit Austin this weekend. Even if Gordon did end up on campus, our source had a hard time seeing the On3 four-star flipping at the last moment.

5. Allen 2022 OL Neto Umeozulu remains the biggest wildcard in play on the Texas board. The 6-foot-4, 285-pounder prefers to keep his cards close to the vest. What we know is that Umeozulu plans on signing during the December 15th-17th period and could drop at any moment. The presumed Top 3 are Texas, Alabama, and USC but Oklahoma OL coach Bill Bedenbaugh staying in Norman might knock out the Trojans and the Sooners both.

If it does boil down to a de facto H2H between Bama and Texas for Neto Umeozulu, the Tide has the advantage of Nick Saban visiting this week while Steve Sarkisian used his in-home visit last week in case Umeozulu committed on his birthday. On the other hand, Alabama seems to lead for Earnest Greene who would be Bama's 4th OL take in the 2022 cycle. Greene would be a for sure take for the Crimson Tide, while Neto Umeozulu would fall into the next tier will about four other OL targets Saban and co. have kept warm.

6. Defensive back numbers are starting to get a bit tricky. Texas currently holds commitments from BJ Allen, Austin Jordan, Jaylon Guilbeau, and Champ Lewis and are pursuing five defensive backs with fervor to close out the 2022 cycle. Texas desperately needs a true corner in the '22 class and is pushing extremely hard for On3 five-stars Denver Harris and Terrance Brooks.

The Longhorns are going to remain extremely patient with Harris and are looking to capitalize on uncertainty surrounding Kerry Coombs future at Ohio State to flip Little Elm's Terrance Brooks. This leaves questions surrounding how hard the Horns will push for Seguin CB Xavion Brice this weekend after a very successful in-home visit with Bishop Alemany (Ca.) S Larry Turner-Gooden.

7. The last defensive back domino is Captain Shreve's two-way athlete Kendrick Law. Law has been one of my personal favorites in the 2022 class and is a prospect that the On3 scouting/rankings team has listed higher than the other three recruiting services.

As Gerry mentioned yesterday, safties coach Blake Gideon has done a tremendous job keeping Texas in the mix and getting the Shreveport native on campus twice before signing day. Law has the ability to play on either side of the ball at the next level, but likely profiles to safety.

• Hook 'Em 3

Gerry:

A few things of note ... 

1. First, I'm in Hattiesburg (no I haven't seen Brett Favre yet) for the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star game for three days from a On3 National coverages standpoint. I watched Alabama practice last night. That included Texas verbal Justice Finkley. Finkley's strength for me is he's an active player. He's got motor. He's got the frame of that of a 6-2, future 285'ish pounder ... unless he is a clean eater. He going to add more natural thickness to his lower trunk. He's teammates this week with On3 3-star LB T.J. Dudley. Dudley has spoken with Coach Choate and staff members since decommitting. He said Florida will for sure receive an official visit. Likely to sign in February, as of last night. I will be at Mississippi practice this morning, and get an up close look at Texas commit Aaron Bryant. 

2. Texas feels really good about where they stand in the race for On3 Consensus 4-star IOL Malik Agbo (Federal Way, Wa./Todd Beamer). Agbo is likely to announce on December 15, or close to that, as of today. The Longhorns have a quality shot to have Agbo in the class after two in-home visits the last two weeks.

3. Neto Umeozulu (Allen, Texas) has maintained contact with Texas offensive line coach per a source at Allen High. Hey, that's good news in the Umeozuzl recruitment. It's a wildcard, but Texas definitely remains in the hunt with Alabama, USC and Oklahoma. 

4. There is a growing feeling that the recruitment of On3 Consensus 4-star OG Earnest Greene (Bellflower, Calif./St. John Bosco) will come down to Alabama vs. Texas. Georgia is scheduled to be in-home, possibly today, but as of last night Kirby Smart wasn't making the in-home. That could be telling. Alabama has been considered the favorite for a couple of week, but Texas has a punchers chance.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

He is so not a good fit for LSU. Anyone who knows real cajuns could see that.

He seems like a total cunt. The fake southern accent on his first day of work was unbelievable in its fakeness.

Anyway saw the Tom Herman double bird photo somewhere on surly earlier today and wanted to toss out a reminder that LSU has a total twat working for 'em too. I guess nothing's new but at least their old twat was one of their own.

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Bobby said that Ewers is supposed to bringing 2 guys with him. - Bobby sourced rumor.

There is also a rumor on the IT thread about Ewers visit, that Harris will be there Saturday. - anonymous poster sourced rumor

we haven't seen anything name wise on the other player i don't think, just E.S.

Edited by NoName

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Bobby said that Ewers is supposed to bringing 2 guys with him. - Bobby sourced rumor.

There is also a rumor on the IT thread about Ewers visit, that Harris will be there Saturday. - anonymous poster sourced rumor

like 2 bellhops to help carry the duffle bags of money? Or at this point do we just buy him a house in the area & fill it full of cash for him to swim in Scrooge McDuck style?  

pw scrooge GIF

33 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Bobby said that Ewers is supposed to be bringing 2 guys with him. - Bobby sourced rumor.

Please be Perkins and Stewart who are planning on being in College Station this weekend...

VIP intel on new Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of Texas

Nick Harris

Spoiler

Nick Harris

After landing an offer from Texas on Nov. 29, Grand Prairie (Texas) 2022 wide receiver Savion Red is slated to take an official visit to Austin this weekend along with his 7-on-7 teammate Xavion Brice, who Texas is also trying to pursue as a result of recent coaching changes.

A longtime SMU commit, Red decommitted from the Mustangs after the departure of Sonny Dykes and staff and soon thereafter landed an offer from Texas. In addition to Texas and SMU, Red holds two more offers from Kansas and Mississippi Valley State.

"I love Texas," Red said in an interview with Horns247. "Coach Banks, that's my dog. Texas is a big school for me."

Before arriving in Austin on Friday, Red will take a day trip to SMU on Thursday to get hear the Mustangs' final pitch under Rhett Lashlee before he signs next Wednesday. However, with the way things are trending in this race, I see Texas as the overwhelming favorite ahead of his two big visits.

I have entered a Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of Texas with a confidence score of 7.

A do-it-all type player for Grand Prairie this past season, Red passed for 857 yards and seven touchdowns, rushed for 1,367 yards and 20 touchdowns, and hauled in 10 receptions for 128 yards and one touchdown.

In the off-seasons, Red plays AAU basketball with Legion Elite and plays 7-on-7 with the Dallas collective, True Buzz. The DFW-based team is also home to 2023 Texas commit Jamel Johnson, Xavion Brice, Anthony Hill and more.

At 5-foot-10, 210 pounds, Red is the No. 1,389 ranked recruit in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 182 ranked wide receiver and the No. 198 ranked recruit from the state of Texas.

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Nick Harris

Reveal hidden contents

Nick Harris

After landing an offer from Texas on Nov. 29, Grand Prairie (Texas) 2022 wide receiver Savion Red is slated to take an official visit to Austin this weekend along with his 7-on-7 teammate Xavion Brice, who Texas is also trying to pursue as a result of recent coaching changes.

A longtime SMU commit, Red decommitted from the Mustangs after the departure of Sonny Dykes and staff and soon thereafter landed an offer from Texas. In addition to Texas and SMU, Red holds two more offers from Kansas and Mississippi Valley State.

"I love Texas," Red said in an interview with Horns247. "Coach Banks, that's my dog. Texas is a big school for me."

Before arriving in Austin on Friday, Red will take a day trip to SMU on Thursday to get hear the Mustangs' final pitch under Rhett Lashlee before he signs next Wednesday. However, with the way things are trending in this race, I see Texas as the overwhelming favorite ahead of his two big visits.

I have entered a Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of Texas with a confidence score of 7.

A do-it-all type player for Grand Prairie this past season, Red passed for 857 yards and seven touchdowns, rushed for 1,367 yards and 20 touchdowns, and hauled in 10 receptions for 128 yards and one touchdown.

In the off-seasons, Red plays AAU basketball with Legion Elite and plays 7-on-7 with the Dallas collective, True Buzz. The DFW-based team is also home to 2023 Texas commit Jamel Johnson, Xavion Brice, Anthony Hill and more.

At 5-foot-10, 210 pounds, Red is the No. 1,389 ranked recruit in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 182 ranked wide receiver and the No. 198 ranked recruit from the state of Texas.

So why is this guy a take?

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Getafix said:

Afternoon Recruiting Notes: Recapping another busy day on the recruiting trail

Mike Roach

Hide contents

— Another day in the Quinn Ewers saga means another new batch of information to sort through. Just about every time I believe I have a handle on the situation from the information I've heard, a new piece changes enters the picture and changes the course. Today I heard some pretty strong confidence from a key source on the Texas Tech side. In fact, most of the public buzz has been in favor of Texas Tech. As I've mentioned, those at Texas have been extremely quiet when it comes to the subject. It leaves me wondering if one side is vocal because there's substance there or because there's a desire to create as much noise as possible. Leaning on my past experience in situations like these, the side that is quieter usually works that way for a reason. While it's instructive to understand that, it doesn't mean that's the case in this particular situation. Tuning out the noise can be tough because everyone seems to have heard something on a story where the key players are going through great lengths to protect the information. I'm not sure when a decision will come, but I expect both Texas and Texas Tech want something to happen in the next few days for the sake of recruiting.

I've gotta say, I'm a few pages back, but I have to point out that this one literally a paragraph to say ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Literally nothing. Fucking weeble wobble fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

We are handing out money now but still going after a 3 star that’s other offers are smu, Kansas and Mississippi valley state?  Wtf    Sure he will be a great special teams guy…. 

who knows, this one may actually work out for us

Just now, Hook1997 said:

We are handing out money now but still going after a 3 star that’s other offers are smu, Kansas and Mississippi valley state?  Wtf    Sure he will be a special teams guy…. 

He's likely the 24th guy in a 26 player class.  Shouldn't you take a chance on a guy or two you feel strongly about regardless of what the services rank them?  IT has a guy who coaches in the area and who reached out to several coaches who coached against Red and they all were effusive in their praise for the kid.  He carried that team to the playoffs and a victory.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He's likely the 24th guy in a 26 player class.  Shouldn't you take a chance on a guy or two you feel strongly about regardless of what the services rank them?  IT has a guy who coaches in the area and who reached out to several coaches who coached against Red and they all were effusive in their praise for the kid.  He carried that team to the playoffs and a victory.

Aren’t there 5 star olineman decommits we are chasing still that would be a better use of a scholarship though or we just save his for if they don’t workout I guess?

2 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Goddamn Coleman is absolutely useless. Sark brought Worthy, Ewers trying to bring Stewart, meanwhile Coleman is standing on the table for a kid ranked in the 1,500’s. Thanks for all the hard work, ya bum. 

Im sorry but I trust the eval of the coaches more than mike roach and Nick Harris lmao. Recruiting services aren't everything, Bama takes guys like this every cycle.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

Goddamn Coleman is absolutely useless. Sark brought Worthy, Ewers trying to bring Stewart, meanwhile Coleman is standing on the table for a kid ranked in the 1,500’s. Thanks for all the hard work, ya bum. 

Look I don't know much about the kid, but as someone who is from his hometown, I can tell you with certainty that it's a big deal that GPHS won a playoff game. They have been perpetually awful in football. So, if he really is the big reason why:

1. They finished their highest district standings in at least 15 years.

2. Beat their crosstown rival for the first time in a decade.

3. Won a playoff game for the first time in 30 years.

He deserves, at the very least, some consideration. I have no idea how he'll do in college. But he literally overcame nearly 30 years of ineptitude at a dead end high school football program.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

Look, you wouldn’t expect Vic to go to a bar and bring home a 10, or an 8, or a 4… The point is, people have to stick with what works for them.

Chicken fried chicken ... 

Breakfast Bites: Quinn Ewers to visit Texas Saturday

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike Roach

— I've confirmed a report that transfer quarterback Quinn Ewers will visit Texas on Saturday. Anwar Richardson of Orangebloods had it first. A source I spoke with earlier in the week said the staff wanted to get Ewers to Austin but didn't view it as a necessity. Ewers visited Lubbock on Sunday to see Texas Tech and followed that up with a trip to TCU early in the week. The Red Raiders have been the toughest competition for Ewers, but confidence in Texas started rising yesterday without the looming prospect of a visit. Ewers grew up a dyed-in-the-wool Texas fan, and Texas getting the final visit could be the last step in locking up the top passer on the market. The Longhorns will be hosting a few other players we know of, but the focus will be locking down Ewers and making a final push for signing day.

— 2022 DFW prospects Xavion Brice and Savion Red will both be on campus this weekend for official visits. Red was originally scheduled last week but changed it to join his 7v7 teammate Brice. Nick Harris saw Red in action on the basketball court last night and talked to him after. Following Nick's lead on this one, I'm also entering a 247Sports Crystal Ball for the Longhorns in the race for the versatile playmaker. SMU is the only real player for him at this moment, and Red would give Texas an open field killer at the receiver position in Red.

— Nick will have more this week on the big time offensive line targets in Houston like Kam Dewberry and Kelvin Banks, but a well-placed source told me last night there is a possibility Banks shuts it down early. Yesterday we heard that he could extend his timeline to February giving just about every school recruiting him the chance to re-group and put the press on. While he may want that clarity, the source I spoke with said that the family was weary with the process and are considering shutting things down early because of it. I exchanged a few messages with Banks last night and he told me he thinks Texas is coming in on Friday. The Longhorns were angling to get the latest possible visit they could. The source I spoke with said that Texas has a chance to go into the in home and convince him to shut it down on early signing day. We will see how the rest of this week plays out.

— I checked in with LSU decommit DeColdest Crawford. Crawford had some contact with Texas following his defection, and he said he's in the process of setting up a visit. I'm not sure how serious Texas is there at the moment. To my knowledge, the Longhorns never offered or pursued Crawford under this staff. I'm working for more clarity there.

— The Longhorns will have two big in-home visits this week. I'm told that on Thursday, the Texas staff will be on the ground in DFW to see two major targets. One is Arlington Bowie offensive lineman Devon Campbell. The five-star offensive lineman is set to visit Georgia this week, but Texas wants to close with him as a part of the class. Campbell has always been a major piece of the potential puzzle, and Steve Sarkisian will get to make his pitch on Thursday. The other target they will see is Terrance Brooks. The four-star cornerback from Little Elm has been open to the Texas pitch even after committing to Ohio State this summer. With defensive changes happening on the Ohio State staff, Texas will try to make one last play to flip him.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Im sorry but I trust the eval of the coaches more than mike roach and Nick Harris lmao. Recruiting services aren't everything, Bama takes guys like this every cycle.

Do you trust this coaching staff’s evaluation? I don’t care about stars either, but his tape doesn’t scream offer. But like Bama, if you have 3, five star WRs committed then you take him for his other traits. Let’s not pretend that they have a WR room filled with that type of WR. They have had more five stars in that room alone than we have had in our entire team. 

I will say that I’d take him with those opponent’s recs over someone like Winfield. Honestly, I think I’m just worried about how we are handling some last minute misses and moving onto guys who aren’t even our backups. The news about interest in Crawford got me worried we have no plan at WR. Red might be a good pick but the feel of WR recruiting right now is bad bad. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I trust Sark more than Coleman. But anyway, I’d be fine with these types of takes if we were pumping out 15 draft picks a year like Bama, but our roster currently blows. 

Just now, Dr. Teeth said:

Do you trust this coaching staff’s evaluation? I don’t care about stars either, but his tape doesn’t scream offer. But like Bama, if you have 3, five star WRs committed then you take him for his other traits. Let’s not pretend that they have a WR room filled with that type of WR. They have had more five stars in that room alone than we have had in our entire team. 

I will say that I’d take him with those opponent’s recs over someone like Winfield. Honestly, I think I’m just worried about how we are handling some last minute misses and moving onto guys who aren’t even our backups. The news about interest in Crawford got me worried we have no plan at WR. Red might be a good pick but the feel of WR recruiting right now is bad bad. 

with the role that deep receiving threats play in this offense, I doubt sark would let it all go to crap. Im really trusting his eval more than Coleman's, but if I'm not mistaken, Banks was the one who offered him and I definitely trust him.

7 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Chicken fried chicken ... 

Mike Roach

Reveal hidden contents

Mike Roach

— I've confirmed a report that transfer quarterback Quinn Ewers will visit Texas on Saturday. Anwar Richardson of Orangebloods had it first. A source I spoke with earlier in the week said the staff wanted to get Ewers to Austin but didn't view it as a necessity. Ewers visited Lubbock on Sunday to see Texas Tech and followed that up with a trip to TCU early in the week. The Red Raiders have been the toughest competition for Ewers, but confidence in Texas started rising yesterday without the looming prospect of a visit. Ewers grew up a dyed-in-the-wool Texas fan, and Texas getting the final visit could be the last step in locking up the top passer on the market. The Longhorns will be hosting a few other players we know of, but the focus will be locking down Ewers and making a final push for signing day.

— 2022 DFW prospects Xavion Brice and Savion Red will both be on campus this weekend for official visits. Red was originally scheduled last week but changed it to join his 7v7 teammate Brice. Nick Harris saw Red in action on the basketball court last night and talked to him after. Following Nick's lead on this one, I'm also entering a 247Sports Crystal Ball for the Longhorns in the race for the versatile playmaker. SMU is the only real player for him at this moment, and Red would give Texas an open field killer at the receiver position in Red.

— Nick will have more this week on the big time offensive line targets in Houston like Kam Dewberry and Kelvin Banks, but a well-placed source told me last night there is a possibility Banks shuts it down early. Yesterday we heard that he could extend his timeline to February giving just about every school recruiting him the chance to re-group and put the press on. While he may want that clarity, the source I spoke with said that the family was weary with the process and are considering shutting things down early because of it. I exchanged a few messages with Banks last night and he told me he thinks Texas is coming in on Friday. The Longhorns were angling to get the latest possible visit they could. The source I spoke with said that Texas has a chance to go into the in home and convince him to shut it down on early signing day. We will see how the rest of this week plays out.

— I checked in with LSU decommit DeColdest Crawford. Crawford had some contact with Texas following his defection, and he said he's in the process of setting up a visit. I'm not sure how serious Texas is there at the moment. To my knowledge, the Longhorns never offered or pursued Crawford under this staff. I'm working for more clarity there.

— The Longhorns will have two big in-home visits this week. I'm told that on Thursday, the Texas staff will be on the ground in DFW to see two major targets. One is Arlington Bowie offensive lineman Devon Campbell. The five-star offensive lineman is set to visit Georgia this week, but Texas wants to close with him as a part of the class. Campbell has always been a major piece of the potential puzzle, and Steve Sarkisian will get to make his pitch on Thursday. The other target they will see is Terrance Brooks. The four-star cornerback from Little Elm has been open to the Texas pitch even after committing to Ohio State this summer. With defensive changes happening on the Ohio State staff, Texas will try to make one last play to flip him.

If Sark goes in-home with Banks this week he needs to know Banks is going to sign early.

20 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Aren’t there 5 star olineman decommits we are chasing still that would be a better use of a scholarship though or we just save his for if they don’t workout I guess?

They're not taking him instead of a 5-star OL, they're taking him as one of the WRs in the class. We do still need those.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting