Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

22 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I'm an admitted "trust the coaches" type and I hope the kid is good but what has Coleman done to earn the benefit of the doubt? 

Look if Banks is the guy going to his house, gotta trust that he has also seen something in the kid. He feels like the type that develops into a kid that kicks our ass and we wonder how we missed him

20 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I trust Sark more than Coleman. But anyway, I’d be fine with these types of takes if we were pumping out 15 draft picks a year like Bama, but our roster currently blows. 

Well fuck man… did you really expect the staff to pump out 15 in year one?

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Red has a LOT of Texas smoke in his twitter followers

https://en.whotwi.com/RedSavion/friends

We're by far his best offer.

If I'm remembering correctly that coach who is from the same area as Red who posts on IT mentioned there were some 'maturity' issues with Red early on but they think he's really grown up over the last year.

Might be a kid who benefits from moving away from DFW.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Im sorry but I trust the eval of the coaches more than mike roach and Nick Harris lmao. Recruiting services aren't everything, Bama takes guys like this every cycle.

TrUsT tHe CoRcHEs vs. the 9.95ers is fine if you want to go with that...  Generally speaking - you bring up the offer list vs. the rankings and specifically the offers that come from excellent evaluators (ie a S with a Utah offer) but the Bama bullshit at the end  is not only useless but wrong. The bottom of their average WR class is populated by guys like Jojo Earle, John Metchie, Kobe Prentice, and Traeshon Holden. They are not spending a counter every year (or every other year, or every third year) on a sleeper/eval. 

BamaWR.png

Savion Red is really good at football, he's highly productive against good competition, so I understand the offer from that side of things. There are legitimate questions about his athleticism given his measurables from 2019 (4.5 shuttle, 29 inch vert). He's got a RB body type - so perhaps the offer is to be a flex player and give the offense some options and that's fine but his offer list is Texas, SMU, Miss Valley State, and Kansas. There's a big gap between not chasing stars and worrying about spending a counter on a guy that's a physical/positional tweener with legitimate questions about long term athleticism. He doesn't profile as one of those 3* guys that Baylor, KSU, or OkState gravitate toward (ie. Ollie Gordon) that explodes as a JR/SR. I will say that I'd rather have Savion Red than DeAnthony Gatson. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Savion Red is really good at football, he's highly productive against good competition, so I understand the offer from that side of things. There are legitimate questions about his athleticism given his measurables from 2019 (4.5 shuttle, 29 inch vert). He's got a RB body type - so perhaps the offer is to be a flex player and give the offense some options and that's fine but his offer list is Texas, SMU, Miss Valley State, and Kansas. There's a big gap between not chasing stars and worrying about spending a counter on a guy that's a physical/positional tweener with legitimate questions about long term athleticism. He doesn't profile as one of those 3* guys that Baylor, KSU, or OkState gravitate toward (ie. Ollie Gordon) that explodes as a JR/SR. I will say that I'd rather have Savion Red than DeAnthony Gatson. 

Yeah - those testing numbers suck.  Hopefully the emotional maturity accompanied a physical maturity.  The coaches who talked about him all mentioned that he was the best all-around athlete they faced last season.  But that could be as much or more the positional versatility (he played QB, RB, and WR) he showed as opposed to being a quick/fast guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

We're by far his best offer.

If I'm remembering correctly that coach who is from the same area as Red who posts on IT mentioned there were some 'maturity' issues with Red early on but they think he's really grown up over the last year.

Might be a kid who benefits from moving away from DFW.

That has not meant much the last 5 years when making last minute offers to prospects we should have had warm & ready.

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yeah - those testing numbers suck.  Hopefully the emotional maturity accompanied a physical maturity.  The coaches who talked about him all mentioned that he was the best all-around athlete they faced last season.  But that could be as much or more the positional versatility (he played QB, RB, and WR) he showed as opposed to being a quick/fast guy.

Dude, do yo know how hard it is to run stoned? Just because his testing numbers sucked doesn't mean he is a bad athlete.

22 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

No, I expect Texas to have zero picks this year. I’m not trying to run the kid down, but when I start hearing phrases like “culture guy” alarm bells start going off. 

Well except that we are literally building culture in the program.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

I think the word was that Coleman really liked and pushed for him

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

Goddamn Coleman is absolutely useless. Sark brought Worthy, Ewers trying to bring Stewart, meanwhile Coleman is standing on the table for a kid ranked in the 1,500’s. Thanks for all the hard work, ya bum. 

57 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I'm an admitted "trust the coaches" type and I hope the kid is good but what has Coleman done to earn the benefit of the doubt? 

44 minutes ago, mvlonghorns said:

I think Coleman led the charge on him, wants him at WR.

I put the Coleman part out there, so let me correct it. Apparently, the assistant pushing really hard for him isn't Coleman. They like him at WR though. I don't know which is worse and whether or not this guy is a diamond in the rough either. As one of the last guys in a class, or the 4th of 4 WRs, fine by me.

• Hook 'Em 4

Mike Roach

Spoiler

There will be several commits in this weekend as well as other visitors. We are working on a list but this is who we have so far.

OV

• WR Savion Red - Grand Prairie
  • CB Xavion Brice - Arlington Seguin

UOV

• CB Jaylon Guilbeau - Port Arthur Memorial
  • K Will Stone - Austin Regents
  • QB Quinn Ewers - Ohio State by way of Southlake
  • WR Brenen Thompson - Spearman
  • CB Jamel Johnson - Arlington Seguin
  • EDGE Derrick Brown - Texarkana Texas High
  • WR Johntay Cook - DeSoto (maybe)

we will be working on more

1 minute ago, derpyhorndog said:

Mike Roach

Hide contents

There will be several commits in this weekend as well as other visitors. We are working on a list but this is who we have so far.

OV

• WR Savion Red - Grand Prairie
  • CB Xavion Brice - Arlington Seguin

UOV

• CB Jaylon Guilbeau - Port Arthur Memorial
  • K Will Stone - Austin Regents
  • QB Quinn Ewers - Ohio State by way of Southlake
  • WR Brenen Thompson - Spearman
  • CB Jamel Johnson - Arlington Seguin
  • EDGE Derrick Brown - Texarkana Texas High
  • WR Johntay Cook - DeSoto (maybe)

we will be working on more

I like seeing Cook in here. Seems like he's been wanting to commit, but needs a QB reason. Hopefully Ewers gives it to him and he can start putting that package together with Owens and Arch.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I put the Coleman part out there, so let me correct it. Apparently, the assistant pushing really hard for him isn't Coleman. They like him at WR though. I don't know which is worse and whether or not this guy is a diamond in the rough either. As one of the last guys in a class, or the 4th of 4 WRs, fine by me.

that makes me feel a little better. Is this another data point in Coleman being replaced post-NSD1, or just not a data point against it?

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

We are handing out money now but still going after a 3 star that’s other offers are smu, Kansas and Mississippi valley state?  Wtf    Sure he will be a great special teams guy…. 

Do we really have to do the whole Colt was a 3 star thing? I mean Roschon Johnson was a 3 star on 247 and hes one of the most important players on the team.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Saw him play this year as a qb. They also used him at Db at times. He is a specimen looks faster than those testing numbers. The attitude issue is a definite red flag 

Just now, Huckleberry said:

I'm curious how some of y'all think the world works. Every time it's reported a recruit that news is trending well for Texas on is still considering another school the vaginal caterwauling begins. 

Is it that y'all think recruiting is instantaneous and ironclad? It's only 0% or 100%? Walk me through this frightened mindset. 

PTSD from all the blunders of the past..  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm curious how some of y'all think the world works. Every time it's reported a recruit that news is trending well for Texas on is still considering another school the vaginal caterwauling begins. 

Is it that y'all think recruiting is instantaneous and ironclad? It's only 0% or 100%? Walk me through this frightened mindset. 

Give us a break, we live in the city of Austin. Vaginal caterwauling is part of AISD's  indoctrination.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

It's only 0% or 100%? Walk me through this frightened mindset. 

This is it.

When you call people out for their non-stop whining, they respond with "what?! I'm just supposed to think everything is perfect and Sark is the best closer ever and we're gonna land everyone?"

Like the extremes are the only acceptable positions to take.

• Hook 'Em 1

90% of the board are people like Hudson from Aliens. The rest are Hicks (asleep, then nuking things from orbit) or Bishop (bots). We have a few Ripleys (doers who have balls and bag 10’s) and a fair share of Burkes.

But I’m not sure you’ve been keepin up with current events but we just got our asses kicked going 5-7. Not sure why you’re surprised there is so much panic.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think you summed up the frightened mindset. Do you remember the summer? We seldom recruit outside of the top ten unless we fire a coach, and people still think there is some outcome where we don't sign a solid class. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting