Job (Teaching) Help

Sister in law is teaching in Moscow right now but moving back to Texas this summer. She wants to teach here and has a B.A. in linguistics from U. of Hawaii and working on her Masters in Applied Linguistics from U. Mass. 

Obviously, doesn't have her Texas teaching certification yet. So maybe private school while she works on her certification? Or is emergency certification possible?

It’s called alternative certification.  
or try charter schools, I’m pretty sure they don’t give a shit about certifications... could be wrong.  
what subject does she wants to teach?  Linguistics isn’t really a thing in k12 education, but if she wants to be like a speech therapist or something that’s an entirely different certification.  

• 1 year later...

re: teaching jobs, I have a line on a teaching job if your favorite SPED teacher is tired of the heat.  My school above the Arctic Circle needs a secondary SPED teacher.  The high temperature today is 64 degrees.  Pluses are: 

1. no more heat

2. easy walking commute

3. welcoming environment from teachers

4. low rent- subsidized by district

5. no utilities to pay

6. higher salary than Texas for experienced teachers, but only high 50s for inexperienced teachers

7. see a different part of the world

8. calendar is out-of-this-world good.  Teachers are due to arrive end of July, and the last day with students is about May 9th. 

Minuses are: 

1. No restaurants - person has to learn to eat his/her own cooking

2. difficult to get groceries delivered, but not impossible. You don't have to fish, but it helps.

3. cold! My personal record low walking to work was -44 degrees, but I only wore three layers of clothes below the waist and about 5 layers above the waist. 

The job was just posted the other day and the district accidentally submitted the wrong posting online, so as of now there is no competition if a SPED teacher is interested in trying something new. 

Sounds like a cool job, but you might starve?  By "groceries delivered," do you mean you would have to go in the store?  Or is the store not getting deliveries, there are no restaurants, and your cat eats you eventually?

by 

On 6/25/2022 at 7:32 PM, dcbc said:

Sounds like a cool job, but you might starve?  By "groceries delivered," do you mean you would have to go in the store?  Or is the store not getting deliveries, there are no restaurants, and your cat eats you eventually?

Ha, the deliveries are a little expensive that come from Fred Meyer, which is the same company as Kroger's.   I ordered from Fred Meyer in Anchorage, and the order arrived in about a week, which is not bad, but the delivery fee in Sept. 2021 was $2.05 per pound, compared to the delivery fee of $1.28 per pound to my previous location in Manokotak, which is much closer to Anchorage.   I estimate the delivery charge to be up from that $2.05 number at least 20% now.  Good news is you can order anything Fred Meyer delivers.  Ice cream is a little soft, but it works. 

Greatland delivers groceries and I tried that as well.  They charge a much smaller delivery fee, but they adjust their prices...think 3x Texas grocery prices. 

The local grocery store has trouble getting deliveries, possibly because of mismanagement.  They don't seem to be "with it".  The prices there are 3x a Texas grocery price. 

The two saving graces are Target and Amazon.  Target is wimping out though, with their selection of dry groceries they will send going down by the day.  Example, in September I was able to get Pace picante sauce delivered.  Glass jars arrived just fine, and at a lower 48 grocery price.  no more...won't deliver. 

My solution is to bring some groceries all of the way from Texas and buying groceries in Anchorage.  It works for me.  It is a lot of effort but it paid off.  

I saved more money for retirement during the 21-22 school year than the previous 3 years combined, and it's not close.  

A person could pay off average amount of student loans, say $28k, and have plenty left over. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

and the SPED job in Alaska is filled...by the most overqualified person I have ever heard of.....

I've heard of overqualified, but six degrees?  How did he have time to get six degrees?

I am told he knows what he is getting into.  Hope he stays in his lane and doesn't try to run the joint. 

Is in my age bracket(late 50s) so I feel like he will be easy to get along with.