the mosquito coast - new series on apple+

henrygandorf

first two episodes dropped friday.  total of 7 in season 1 (or is it a limited series?).  i don't remember the movie at all, but the book was written in 1981 by justin theroux's uncle.  now he (justin theroux) is producing the tv version.

watched both episodes this weekend.  has a little bit of an ozark vibe to it, but definitely seems intent to stretch out the story.  i'm assuming the 7 episodes will cover the entire book, leaving us without source material for the inevitable season 2 (assuming people like it).  i'm interested enough to continue watching for the next 5 fridays.  thought the kids did a nice job.  my wife likes the wife/mom, who is usually a kiss of death for a new show - seems like everything she's in disappears.

anybody else?

I'll watch because it's adapted from Paul Theroux's novel.  Been a fan of his fiction since The Family Arsenal and of his snarky but cool nonfiction since Riding the Iron Rooster and Kingdom By The Sea.  A word to the wise, Clark - ice melts in the tropics.

The movie was alright when I saw it as a teenager. Definitely enjoyed Harrison Ford playing against type in the movie and wish he'd have done it more often. Tried to read the book about a decade ago and didn't make it past the first chapter or two. It's still sitting on my bookshelf. That has more to do with not being instantly hooked than anything else. Haven't even bothered to watch the trailer, but might give it a shot.

We’ve had Apple TV for free from the get but only managed to watch Ted 
Lasso. I thought that Theroux did some good work in the Leftovers, not to mention plowing Jennifer Aniston, so this is probably worth a watch 

He’s so awesome in Wanderlust

• 2 weeks later...

I’m still watching and mostly enjoying this. I thought episodes 1-2 were much better than episodes 3-4, but it still has my attention.

Chuy has to come back into play at some point. I’m guessing he’ll save their asses when they get in another bind around episode 7.

I want Allie (Theroux) to become more of a badass as things move forward. I’m assuming he’s on the run because he gained knowledge of some type of government criminal coverup. He worked for the NSA and we’re led to believe he’s a pretty intelligent guy, so I’d like to see him display some skills that help his family evade the types of dangers they’ve recently faced.

Spoiler

Harrison Ford was not the good guy in the movie and I was curious if the TV show would follow a similar path. When they introduced that TV Allie was on the run from the feds, I was wondering if the writers were going to go full-on bad guy. Perhaps have him be an Unabomber-like character but more of a potential threat and not have actually killed someone. Instead I'm afraid they're going to make him more of a hero which is disappointing because that is the easy story.

But I could be wrong. Justin Theroux doesn't seem to have the ego that he has to follow the standard script that many actors require.

Love that the male NSA investigator, James LeGros is the actor from Phanstasm II and Point Break (the real one.) He's one of those actors that doesn't appear enough.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Series finale was this week. I liked this show quite a bit. Allie is in the running for the most unlikeable protagonist in TV history.

I got the impression that the wife is really the one on the run and Allie is just an accomplice.

They definitely hinted about the wife. We haven’t really seen any evidence that Allie did anything wrong himself in his past. He confessed to the cartel that he was worked for the NSA previously but we have no idea if that was true.

side question: do monarch butterflies like blood?

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, that was an all of a sudden series finale. It felt like they were filming the episode and received notice they were not being renewed so they axed the last 30 minutes of the episode and added 10 minutes to wrap up the series.

It’s weird that the book author was heavily involved with the show story and script and it deviated so far from the source material. At least they actually got to the Mosquito Coast in the last 30 seconds of the series.

On 1/6/2023 at 9:36 PM, CooterBrown said:

Well, that was an all of a sudden series finale. It felt like they were filming the episode and received notice they were not being renewed so they axed the last 30 minutes of the episode and added 10 minutes to wrap up the series.

It’s weird that the book author was heavily involved with the show story and script and it deviated so far from the source material. At least they actually got to the Mosquito Coast in the last 30 seconds of the series.

Agreed, it was like they had 10 minutes notice to wrap it all up. 

• 4 weeks later...