Digital Horse Racing (ZED & NFTs)

Nice Guy Eddie

17 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Riot Racers and Chicken Derby are two similar models... just cars and chicken racing.

another PSA... apparently there is another issue with breeding in that horse studs aren't coming out of breeding. Once timer gets to zero it just starts counting the other direction... (time get larger and larger)....

Not sure it's good to mess with breeding at this point.

Giveaway breakdown for anyone interested. Other than the email all issue seems like decent breakdown.  Note, the stable numbers are as of today, so might be inflated from breeding and/or purchases/sells from when they were going to pull the numbers.

6000 horses given away
5,136  to 0 horse stables
366  to 1 horse stables
155  to 2 horse stables
99  to 3 horse stables
50  to 4 horse stables
48  to 5 horse stables

81  to 6-10 horse stables
21  to 11-15 horse stables
14  to 16-20 horse stables

15  to 21-30 horse stables
to 31-40 horse stables
to 41-50 horse stables
to 51-60 horse stables

to 74 horse stable
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Giveaway breakdown for anyone interested. Other than the email all issue seems like decent breakdown.  Note, the stable numbers are as of today, so might be inflated from breeding and/or purchases/sells from when they were going to pull the numbers.

6000 horses given away
5,136  to 0 horse stables
366  to 1 horse stables
155  to 2 horse stables
99  to 3 horse stables
50  to 4 horse stables
48  to 5 horse stables

81  to 6-10 horse stables
21  to 11-15 horse stables
14  to 16-20 horse stables

15  to 21-30 horse stables
to 31-40 horse stables
to 41-50 horse stables
to 51-60 horse stables

to 74 horse stable

That's good and looks like whatever formula they used worked to get horses to people that did not have any.  Technically everyone had a chance, so a small amount going to those stables seems legit.

well, did not get any stud racers out of breeding this round.  kept 2 so-so horses, sold a so-so horse and sold 2 stellar 40+ odds glues.  That plus stud fees came out to ~.65 ETH so finally starting to grind out some ROI on this.

Anyone breed the next steph curry?  how did yall do with getting good racers?

@Angry Gorilla @Baboontyme @Da Fino @gsoda3 @henrygandorf @Here for Zed @huge @MonkeyDoughnut @Mr Bean @NOMAAA @PhillyD @SquishMitten @ZB'Tejas

Tues racing attempt

Red Bull: https://zed.run/race/3leqXNT5

Reasonable: https://zed.run/race/DSQmNHDQ

I've been MIA as I find the constant Zed glitches painful.

PSA: on breeding price hikes... get in now

"Minimum Breeding Fees
There has been a lot of great discussion around the Minimum Breeding Price in the Stud Farm. The intention from ZED RUN is to increase the “Base Value” of the Minimum Breeding Price from 0.075 ETH to 0.25 ETH (not yet finalised) to more accurately reflect the value of the ecosystem. How the Minimum Breeding Price is calculated has always been visible and can be found here: https://guide.zed.run/breeding/pricing/minimum-breeding-prices. We encourage reading this before making suggestions.

We will NOT make this update without communicating to the community first. If you have feedback, have your say and please fill out this form :point_right_tone2: https://forms.gle/vddwTYeJNcSiBPNf9 "

Also... the skins so far have been ehh? to me... but I must say the Atari skins are pretty nice. Would love to get the Adventure skinned horse but no way I'm shelling out what will likely be 5k for it. 

https://opensea.io/assets/0x495f947276749ce646f68ac8c248420045cb7b5e/110238896312374156694779971029466237810910659616547507179685594396968928411649

yeah, i don't think they move the min base all the way to .25, I have been sniping cheap Nak covers as soon as mares reset to breed though before any move is announced.

That makes Nak blood super expensive.  .48 to breed with a Genesis and .4 to breed with a Nak Legend at the floor.   This will stop most inter bloodline breeding up.  It will not make sense to pay $500 to breed a Finney  or Buterin when you get a Finney or Buterin foal back.  no way those will sell above what you paid.  

also makes in-house breeding a lot more expensive even with the discount.

I think they do need to raise the minimums for breeding, but agree with @gyroprotagonist that taking Nak Genesis minimums all the way up to .48 will not have the result these huge stables think it will.  It would increase the amount they get for a cover, but decrease the total number of covers they are getting.

It will definitely alter my plans for breeding.  It's so cheap right now to breed my Buterins that I'll breed every time in the hopes that I scratch off a winning lotto ticket and get a good racer.  I sold off 3 of the 5 horses I got from breeding my genesis filly in the last round and at least doubled my investment on all of them.  I kept one of the fillies I got from that round to breed for lotto tickets, but will sell her off if the stud fees increase this much.

I bought a bad ass Legendary Buterin filly last week to breed with my strongest racing stallion - https://knowyourhorses.com/horses/32194 she won back to back races in class III last night.  Currently at a ~17% win rate and 39% ROI.  24 more days until I can breed her with Despicable Lemon.  Lemon has been feasting on all the new class V racers too, he won 3 races yesterday including one that paid out $97.

Growing up in late 70s, I was a big Atari fan. Owned the classic games: Pong, Breakout, Adventure, Outlaw, Combat, etc. I have to admit that I would like to own the Zed racing horses with the Atari skins. But I don't want to own them for greater than $10K which is what the auctions are ending up at.

https://opensea.io/assets/atari-zed-skin-collection

People have made so much of other NFTs, the speculation is still unbelievably high at the moment. If Zed ever takes off at some point, I could see the special horses having an even higher value.

Quite a bit of good PR for Zed today.  It looks like more and more "mainstream" capital is pouring into the NFT space and Zed has an early jump with collaborations with Stella Artois, Atari and The Preakness.  Hopefully this allows them to hire more engineers and build out better servers to cut the racing lead times <8 hours as well...

Virtually Human Studio, the startup behind digital horse racing service Zed Run, has raised $20 million in financing, highlighting investors’ appetite for companies exploring the intersection of entertainment, gaming and the so-called nonfungible token sector.

Media and technology-focused investment firm TCG Capital Management led the Series A funding round, with Andreessen Horowitz and Red Beard Ventures also participating in the deal.

Launched in 2019, Zed Run enables users to buy, sell and breed virtual horses and race them in a videogame style setting against other horses. The horses are purchased with digital currency and act as NFTs, which are essentially digital collectibles that hold value.

Zed Run takes a fee from the money users pay to virtually breed horses on the site, as well as from race entry fees and the sale of these NFTs. Individual virtual horse owners stand to make money when the value of their horses rises, attracting higher prices on Zed Run’s horse breeding market and on the horse resale market. Every race also pays prizes for first through third place finishes in Ethereum, a cryptocurrency.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tcg-and-andreessen-horowitz-invest-in-startup-behind-virtual-horse-racing-platform-11626865200https://www.wsj.com/articles/tcg-and-andreessen-horowitz-invest-in-startup-behind-virtual-horse-racing-platform-11626865200

yeah, i listened ~2weeks back to a AMA of Doofy's twitch feed with 2 of the ZED higher ups and they are trying to hire a ton of developers for the all the block chain stuff.  It sounds incredibly difficult to do all they want to on the L2 polygon chain and that's the biggest difference say between this and just designing a game for the PC.  

Makes me feel better about having so much $ parked in ZED assets though.  Better than reading about ZED founders stuffing all the money in a kangaroo pouch and riding off into the sunset.

after poking around NFTs for a while, ZED is like the rock of Gibraltar compared the most of the fly by night stuff...but that's not saying much tbh

• Haha 1

metamask first.  Then use metamask to create accounts on ZED and OS

I fund metamask from my coinbase wallet.  

To fund ZED (convert ETH to polygon) use the in game transfer method is the easiest.  it will take some time, it's not instant.

OS will work as is with ETH transferred into the metamask wallet, but for ZED items on OS, you will need the polygon (shows up as WETH in OS).  Sorry it's confusing, but don't confuse the polygon WETH with the standard WETH.  ZED will not work with that standard WETH.  Having all three looks like this in your OS wallet

image.png.25426fed09e3228a420e179b57fc31c0.png

ETH polygon is what ZED needs

metamask will not show the ZED polygon WETH by default, but it will be there.  Again you can check ZED or OS to see what is there.

There is probably a primer on the ZED site or a link to one that explains this better

Edited by gyroprotagonist
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I think it was posted previously, but I'm having trouble finding it. What's the correct order to go with in setting up accounts on opensea/zed/whatever so that your accounts get properly linked and you can fund them?

Hell yea Squish, get in there!  Post up any questions you might have.  I stumbled around painfully for a while before feeling comfortable with the various ETHs/wallets/gas/etc.

There are a lot more good resources for trying to find a horse now too, the easiest/best being https://www.hawku.com/zed  Lots of good info on the Zed discord too about getting started.

There was a reset on genesis breeding yesterday so there are a lot of cheap horses floating around today.  Try to find one with <10 odds that can hang out in class IV as a place to start - you can sometimes find value with someone selling a horse before finding it's best racing distance.  But if a horse is consistently pulling 20+ odds, then it's likely it's always going to be a donkey.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

metamask first.  Then use metamask to create accounts on ZED and OS

I fund metamask from my coinbase wallet.  

To fund ZED (convert ETH to polygon) use the in game transfer method is the easiest.  it will take some time, it's not instant.

OS will work as is with ETH transferred into the metamask wallet, but for ZED items on OS, you will need the polygon (shows up as WETH in OS).  Sorry it's confusing, but don't confuse the polygon WETH with the standard WETH.  ZED will not work with that standard WETH.  Having all three looks like this in your OS wallet

image.png.25426fed09e3228a420e179b57fc31c0.png

ETH polygon is what ZED needs

metamask will not show the ZED polygon WETH by default, but it will be there.  Again you can check ZED or OS to see what is there.

There is probably a primer on the ZED site or a link to one that explains this better

Gracias. Can you clarify a bit about the polygon, weth, eth? I've set up my account with Zed, my Metamask wallet is linked and has some ETH in it, similarly reflected in my OS wallet. Prior to purchasing a horse on OS, do I need to convert the ether in ZED to WETH (i believe this is the "in game transfer" you mentioned. Or is that only for entry fees? Do I just purchase a horse on OS with the ether I have or does that also require the "in game transfer" beforehand?

4 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Gracias. Can you clarify a bit about the polygon, weth, eth? I've set up my account with Zed, my Metamask wallet is linked and has some ETH in it, similarly reflected in my OS wallet. Prior to purchasing a horse on OS, do I need to convert the ether in ZED to WETH (i believe this is the "in game transfer" you mentioned. Or is that only for entry fees? Do I just purchase a horse on OS with the ether I have or does that also require the "in game transfer" beforehand?

ZED horses on OS live in the polygon WETH format.  makes it so you don't have to pay gas to delist or cancel bids which is nice, but you do have to convert it from ETH to polygon.  This will allow you to pay entry fees in ZED, pay breeding fees in ZED etc... but it also works on OS for ZED horses.  I have have never tried to buy a ZED horse with regular ETH, maybe you can, but again there are some advantages to using the polygon WETH.

So just do the conversion inside ZED for easiest way.  in ZED ui you are transferring ETH to WETH.  That will transfer to the polygon WETH you need.  The downside is the fees are kinda high to transfer btween ETH and polygon WETH (especially taking money out of the ZED WETH account).  you can always wait and try at a later time to see if fee will be lower.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yea, the gas you get charged to change ETH to WETH within the Zed game varies depending on network congestion on the blockchain.  I didn't know this at first and got stung for a painful amount of gas.  Late at night it usually much cheaper.

I do think there were some hiccups with buying horses on OS with ETH not working properly in Zed, but that may be sorted out by now. 

@SquishMitten

• Hook 'Em 1

I was just coming here to ask about that. Picked up my first pony the other day and kinda surprised at how far out the races get scheduled. Glad to know I was doing something wrong. Bought just about the cheapest horse I could find with decent odds (11.4), had a 3rd place finish, two 4ths, and an 11th, but my average since owning is at 15.01. Still plenty of fun though

Also, what are "good" gas fees? When I bought the horse, it was only $5, but every time I try now it's $10 - $15? Did I just get lucky the first time? Or is it higher than average now?

Edited by SquishMitten

are you buying with metamask or through CC?

It's been a while since i have bought a horse and Opensea has changed their format a little (CC option is new).  I don't think there is gas for buying with metamask and using polygon WETH.  Take a screenshot if you can and i can look at it.  But for most OS buys, yes gas will vary a lot.  Especially if something big like a popular NFT drop or some altcoin is going berserk on the Eth network.  Drops are just short time frame spikes, so check back in ~15 mins or so if gas is looking crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just using the in-game conversion. Although I was able to buy on OS the first time (it converted my ETH to WETH during checkout), I don’t get that option anymore. It says I’ve already deposited a/k/a converted to WETH, but then declines the transaction because I don’t actually have enough WETH. Guess it’s just a glitch of sorts. Either way, I kept checking back on it and finally caught it at around $7. Figure with a $700+ purchase, that’s a relatively meaningless amount to fret over.

Got one that’s looking ok. Three 3rd place finishes in the seven races I’ve run him. Also bought a genesis primarily for breeding, and her results reaffirm that’s going to be her only value (at least until they introduce other metrics to racing). This shit’s kinda addicting

• Hook 'Em 1