2018 Texas Softball

texasstrong12

Unbelievable....Mike White has transformed this team from a 3rd/4th place Big XII group into a team that can compete for a championship in OKC, in about 6 months. I have never seen a turn around and infusion of talent this quickly before. Texas can compete with anyone in the country with this group...really excited for February to get here.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:24 AM, FloridaHorn said:

Unbelievable....Mike White has transformed this team from a 3rd/4th place Big XII group into a team that can compete for a championship in OKC, in about 6 months. I have never seen a turn around and infusion of talent this quickly before. Texas can compete with anyone in the country with this group...really excited for February to get here.

Yup.  Look to see Texas as a preseason top-15 club based on the transfer talent alone.   Texas has chances early in the season to make it known that Mike White isn't playing around:

Feb 15-16: LSU and Kentucky

Feb 23-24: Ole Miss

March 1 and 3: ASU

March 8-9-10: Minnesota

March 15 and 17: Tennessee

We are going to face 6 top-25ish clubs in the first 45 days of the schedule (11 games), plus perennially decent teams in Cal, Tulsa, Wisconsin and BYU.  We should be well-tested by the time we hit 4 on the road in Big 12 play (away game in Waco, 3 vs OSU) and we should be rolling as a team by the time OU comes to town Easter Weekend.

Before the transfers, I saw maybe 35-37 wins.  I see 45-46 wins now with Rhodes, Iakopo, Burke and Elish in burnt orange.   Most likely a top 16 seed, off-chance at top 8 if the pitching behind Elish (Bollinger and O'Learly especially) really develops under White's tutelage.  Even a marginal increase in hitting makes us a lot better too, and Rhodes/Iakopo/Burke/Jefferson/Washington/Hathaway is a really good 6/9. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yup.  Look to see Texas as a preseason top-15 club based on the transfer talent alone.   Texas has chances early in the season to make it known that Mike White isn't playing around:

Feb 15-16: LSU and Kentucky

Feb 23-24: Ole Miss

March 1 and 3: ASU

March 8-9-10: Minnesota

March 15 and 17: Tennessee

We are going to face 6 top-25ish clubs in the first 45 days of the schedule (11 games), plus perennially decent teams in Cal, Tulsa, Wisconsin and BYU.  We should be well-tested by the time we hit 4 on the road in Big 12 play (away game in Waco, 3 vs OSU) and we should be rolling as a team by the time OU comes to town Easter Weekend.

Before the transfers, I saw maybe 35-37 wins.  I see 45-46 wins now with Rhodes, Iakopo, Burke and Elish in burnt orange.   Most likely a top 16 seed, off-chance at top 8 if the pitching behind Elish (Bollinger and O'Learly especially) really develops under White's tutelage.  Even a marginal increase in hitting makes us a lot better too, and Rhodes/Iakopo/Burke/Jefferson/Washington/Hathaway is a really good 6/9. 

I would think more of a top 8 seed and on the low side a 16 seed. This team is loaded. Just need one of the pitchers to dominate and another  one be better than good. 8 could be low. Can you imagine Cat with this line up. FKCC.

I need to see the Duck talent mesh with the Texas..."talent" before I anoint them a top 8 seed.  They could be on the cusp, but how Mike figures out how to use everyone offensively and his rotation, I'm going with top 16, which we haven't been in a LONG TIME it feels like.

I didn't even include Ellsworth in my list.  That's 7/9 that's pretty good.  If you can trot out something like:

C  Iakopo - stud

1B Burke - power

2B Jefferson - stud

SS Slack - strong defensively (I don't know who you put here, I don't think there's a Taylor Thom on the roster)

3B Ellsworth - top returning power hitter (5 HR, holy shit that's sad)

OF  Washington - strong

OF DeMargosian - had a really good fall

OF Rhodes - stud

DH  Hathaway - stud back from injury, DH is fine and can play anywhere in the OF as well

Elish/Bolinger/O'Leary is your main rotation. 

I like this team a lot with the additions.

Edited by Js1

B12 coaches' preseason poll

Big 12 Conference‏Verified account @Big12Conference 3h3 hours ago

With only 28 days until the season opener, here's the first look at #Big12SB in the official 2019 Preseason Poll. For more » https://big12.us/2C8XHDK .

DwkGc27UUAAR1pX.jpg

Not a surprise.  OU should be #1 until someone supplants them.  But that's a huge show of confidence at the talent White brought in from Oregon, and himself.

Also not at all surprised Gasso chose Baylor with her vote.  99% sure Mike has already tried to poach some of her Texas recruits in 2020 or later classes and she probably is pissed about it.  The rivalry could use some spiciness. 

Herman-Riley

Aston-Coale

Pierce-Skip

White-Gasso

Edited by Js1

I guess this was some of the money/roster spot needed for some of the transfers?

Junior infielder Macy Smith, who transferred to Texas from Seminole State College, has left the softball team. The rest of the Longhorns who participated in fall ball and a quartet of Oregon transfers are all expected to be accounted for when the players report on Sunday.

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

For the first time in a long time, I'm actually interested in/intrigued by our softball team.   Amazing what a (hopefully) homerun coaching hire can do.  

True dat.

This is the first time since Luna's senior year that I feel like Oklahoma City is a realistic goal.  And we might actually have postseason ball at McCombs!

We may not beat OU, but we (most likely) wouldn't see OU in the postseason until OKC.

But even if UO was willing to match Texas’ offer to White, there is no way of knowing whether Texas would have simply raised its offer. Multiple sources with knowledge of the situation indicated Texas was willing to go as high as $1 million a year to hire a new coach, a figure approached only by Oklahoma’s Patty Gasso, who earns $725,000 in base salary plus a $200,000 annual retention bonus.

For better or worse, one thing we will not be outdone on is coaches' salaries.

I love that CDC, unlike his predecessor, does not half ass things.  

• Like 1