2018 Texas Softball

texasstrong12

Texas 9-2, over Tech (3rd place)

OU 6-4, over Baylor (champ game)

Congrats to Cat and Texas State for defeating ULL to win the Sun Belt Championship.     (Is jt on surly ?)  😊 

A&M went 0-1 in the SEC Tourn but will likely still host,  but it may be close.    Baylor is on the bubble for hosting but it doesn't look good.    Last year Texas and Texas St were at College Station Regional.    Wouldn't think that scenario will be repeated but the NCAA likes attendance.

NCAA Selection Show, 9PM, Sunday,  ESPN2  

44 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

How did we get 3rd place and OKST got 4th?

I was told there would be no math.     😊

https://texassports.com/index.aspx?path=softball

https://www.hookem.com/2018/05/12/longhorns-take-third-place-big-12-tournament/

Going by fake news.     Don't know,  but may be though we had same record as OK St,  our pool had the #1 seed OU. 

9 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

1st game vs Minnesota in the Wash regional. Minnesota is tough. Gonna be a short run I’m afraid.

Agree !   

Minn (B10 Champ) game is 8PM, Friday.    Wash vs Boise St, 1030PM, Friday. 

The fact we were sent so far is indication of our mediocre season.    

Texas St to LA Regional (UCLA) and Baylor to College Station.   Ok St to Fayetteville.

Weather forecast looks good,  high 60s/low 70s,  less than 20% chance of rain.     Minn stats .291/1.89/.966.     Maybe we can use small ball approach like in B12 Tournament and cause errors/manufacture runs.

TEXAS (32-24, 10-8 Big 12) at the NCAA Seattle Regional | May 18-20 | Husky Softball Stadium, Seattle, Wash.

Schedule:

Friday, May 18

8 p.m. CT                     TEXAS vs. #25/20 Minnesota – ESPNLINK

10:30 p.m. CT              Boise State at #5 Washington – ESPNU                                 

Saturday, May 19

4 p.m. CT                     Game No. 3 (Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2)

6:30 p.m. CT                Game No. 4 (Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 2)

9 p.m. CT                     Game No. 5 (Winner Game 4 vs. Loser Game 3)

Sunday, May 20

6 p.m. CT                     Game No. 6 (Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 5)

8:30 p.m. CT                Game No. 7 (rematch of Game 6 - if necessary)

**All times Central

https://texassports.com/news/2018/5/15/softball-preview-at-the-ncaa-seattle-regional-may-18-20-2018.aspx

1 hour ago, Pancho Negro said:

OSU lost. 

Baylor getting blasted by McNeese. 

Yep,  McNeese, 7-3 final,   Wichita St 8-2 over OKSt.    Not a good start for the B12,   definitely upsets though McNeese and Wichita St are solid programs but much lower RPI.

Washington 8-0, over Boise St (3 key errors).   Washington, 4PM, today.

Washington won 2-1 at McCombs on a cold day in February.    Looks as if they will start the same pitcher, Alvelo (we had 6 hits).    Bolinger will likely start who pitched 1 inning in relief in February.    Eliminate walks and errors,  pressure their .966 defense with small ball and speed. 

Tough loss !

Tripp McKay,  hitting coach, needs to go back to OU or wherever.   2 hits    Terrible hire.   All hitters have regressed.

-  When Leahy could not get down the sacrifice in the 6th,  to have her fake bunt with 2 strikes and then swing is ridiculous resulting in a K.

-  Then next to not pinch hit for Schattle (.200 hitter) is terrible.   Alcozer,  an experienced Senior with power, who has been in these situations should have pinch hit.    Or at least pinch hit in the 7th instead of Schick  (transfer with only 23ABs all year).    I do not know if Alcozer is injured (doubtful),  she pinch hit last Sat against Tech.

-  Have to credit Plain,  Freshman UW pitcher,  for her composure (1 walk).    She has pitched the last 6 games because Alvelo has a back issue.

-  Washington is overrated but very well coached.    Would give my right arm for their coaching staff.  

Minn @ 9PM.

if that game doesn't sum up Connie Clark era I don't know what does.  never seen a coach lose more 2-1, 1-0 games than her.  abysmal offense for most of her 21 years here.  time to turn the page.

to not pinch hit for a .200 hitter is just stupid.

Minn leading Boise St, 7-2, bottom 6th,  rain delay.    Weather.com states showers for next 2 hours.

OKSt eliminated by Wichita St.    Baylor needs to win twice against aggy in regional final Sunday.

Cat &Texas St lost to Fullerton, beat Sac St,  now play UCLA who were upset by Fullerton.

Can't take any more today,  you guys fill me in.

Edited by torre

15 hours ago, torre said:

Tough loss !

Tripp McKay,  hitting coach, needs to go back to OU or wherever.   2 hits    Terrible hire.   All hitters have regressed.

-  When Leahy could not get down the sacrifice in the 6th,  to have her fake bunt with 2 strikes and then swing is ridiculous resulting in a K.

-  Then next to not pinch hit for Schattle (.200 hitter) is terrible.   Alcozer,  an experienced Senior with power, who has been in these situations should have pinch hit.    Or at least pinch hit in the 7th instead of Schick  (transfer with only 23ABs all year).    I do not know if Alcozer is injured (doubtful),  she pinch hit last Sat against Tech.

-  Have to credit Plain,  Freshman UW pitcher,  for her composure (1 walk).    She has pitched the last 6 games because Alvelo has a back issue.

-  Washington is overrated but very well coached.    Would give my right arm for their coaching staff.  

Minn @ 9PM.

Are you me? This is exactly what I was yelling at my TV. Alcozer couldn’t pinch hit because she PINCH RAN earlier in the game. Alcozer is not a pinch runner. Instead later she pinch hits with a player with a .125 Avg.  So typical of TOB. Do the right thing CDC!

She's already prepping for her contract extension meeting. In the past, all she had to do was impress Plonsky (which was super easy). Now she has to report to CDC which I'm sure strikes some fear into her. I think she's about to find out what most accountable coaches in the league have to face when expectations are never met

51 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

She's already prepping for her contract extension meeting. In the past, all she had to do was impress Plonsky (which was super easy). Now she has to report to CDC which I'm sure strikes some fear into her. I think she's about to find out what most accountable coaches in the league have to face when expectations are never met

🤮

There were 3 people interviewed a couple of years ago when the assistant job was open (and McKay was not one of the 3).  Two of those people need to be interviewed for the Head job and they are the only two that need to be interviewed.  Either would be a homerun hire and would have an immediate impact...Jimmy Kolaitis, asst. at Oregon, and Craig Snider, asst. at Florida State.  The list should begin and end with those two.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Are you me? This is exactly what I was yelling at my TV. Alcozer couldn’t pinch hit because she PINCH RAN earlier in the game. Alcozer is not a pinch runner. Instead later she pinch hits with a player with a .125 Avg.  So typical of TOB. Do the right thing CDC!

Ahh,   missed seeing the pinch runner.     

Reviewing the box score,  scenario was repeated last night.   Bottom 5th, bases loaded, two outs, behind 2-0,  .192 hitter at plate who leads team in k's permitted to hit - another k.   Alcozer was available.

We really missed Reagan Hathaway this year (acl injury) good hitter with power.   And we are carrying 6 pitchers on the roster.  PvS is only one who can hit.   Roster is limited,  but still.....no excuse.

Weather delay for Baylor in College Station,  from forecast may have to wait till Monday or late tonight.

OU will play Arkansas in Norman Super Regional.    Arkansas is good,  but will be difficult to beat OU.   ☹️   

23 hours ago, torre said:

McKay is not the problem. We have maybe 3 hitters on the roster that would sniff a starting spot at a top 20 program. Three is probably being generous with Jefferson, Washington and PvS. 2 of those are underclassmen.

The issue isn't McKay, it's that Clark became a lazy ass recruiter and now we have a roster that should be starting at UH instead of Texas. We get the results that our talent level brings us on the roster. It's not surprising at all that we hit really well against bad to average teams and struggle against good to elite teams. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

There were 3 people interviewed a couple of years ago when the assistant job was open (and McKay was not one of the 3).  Two of those people need to be interviewed for the Head job and they are the only two that need to be interviewed.  Either would be a homerun hire and would have an immediate impact...Jimmy Kolaitis, asst. at Oregon, and Craig Snider, asst. at Florida State.  The list should begin and end with those two.

well with Plonsky out of the way this might have a chance to happen...

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Also, I'm not sure it's been posted but the Horns 247 board is saying "multiple sources have told them Clark's contract won't be renewed". 

only 4-5 years to late per our usual "non"-decision making.  I really hope CDC changes this...we pay good money for non revenue sports.  no reason not to be quick with the trigger when it warrants it.