Timmy thread of appreciation

9 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Game 6 2003 Finals vs New Jersey:

2 blocks short of a quadruple double. Should have been credited with at least one more, iirc.

One of the greatest finals performances of all times.

It's debatable whether or not he actually had 10 blocks.

But do you think he gives a fuck? 

Something else from that '03 run that gets ignored because of the "near quad double":

That year against the Mavs in the WCF - in 6 games - Duncan:

- Played 43 minutes per game

- Put up 28p / 17r /6a per game on 57% from the field (in 2003)

- had more stocks (steals + blocks) than turnovers 

• Hook 'Em 2

You know how people got sick of the Patriots winning all of the time?  That didn't happen with the Spurs.  Tim Duncan was a big reason why.

Easy to root for. Seemed like a hella teammate and just a winner, through and through.

I forgot about this vid because I think I watched it the other day. But here:

From the top comment, I think it's still accurate? (it should be)

Tim Duncan's 2003 playoffs performance are just one of the Greatest, if not the Greatest, of all-time.

His PER 28.4 (League No. 2)

DWS 2.67 (League No.1 All Time No. 3)

VORP 3.15 (League No.1 All Time No. 2)

WS 5.94 (League No.1 All Time No. 1)

"League" meaning that season "All Time" meaning in NBA history. 

• Hook 'Em 2

After a bunch of review tonight because it's worth it and because you brought the question OP:

He was just so motherfucking good. If there was an all-time draft and you knew you had to sign that guy to an 18 year contract there is no way he doesn't go in the top 10.

• Hook 'Em 2

Also... Kobe was sick as fuck too... I know the basketball contingent here is light but this isn't just TD. Kobe is top 20 all time as well and as much as a piece of shit rival I can hate him as I loved his lifestyle and take on life in general.

Duncan KG and Kobe are all icons and all in my book 3 of the best 20 to play. Let's appreciate them all.

• Hook 'Em 2

I remember when we got that ping pong ball.  There was no doubt in anyone's mind that Timmy was going to be the first pick (or maybe Keith Van Horn? - the media tried to create some suspense).

The day of his first game, I took the EIT exam (engineer-in-training, precursor to the PE exam) in Austin.  There were two 4-hour segments.  I hauled ass through the afternoon segment so I could get out of there, race down to SA, and my parents and I went to the game.  Timmy was beyond our expectations from the start. 

• Hook 'Em 5

One of my favorite hazy memories:  I think it was 2014 playoffs against okc or Dallas maybe.  Either a close out game or a pivotal game, going down to the wire.  Spurs go to Timmy on the left block two plays in a row and he delivers.  Keep in mind he is way past his prime and  he’s the been  nowhere near the main option on offense that season

I think this might be it.  Go to 6:00 in the video.  Holy crap then they go to him again two plays later.

*also F Kauai

Edited by dingleberryswitzer
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Kermit said:

I wish I could give this a million rep points. I ducking love you Tim. Thanks for everything.

Well, you didn't even give it one, you stingy fuck! 😎

I ain't gonna lie, it was a hard watch. In a good way, I guess, but I struggled to get through it, and I did not do so without spilling some saltwater.

WholeNarrowAmurratsnake-size_restricted.

• Hook 'Em 2

Humble. Seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Never talked shit. Never beat his chest. Rarely, if ever, flopped, complained, or whined. Never, ever, acted like a bitch ass.

Studied the game, listened to his coaches, gave it his all, and played good, solid, fundamental, team basketball. Stepped into the leadership role when it was time, became a GOAT, then aged gracefully.

I don't recall his name ever appearing in the news in a negative light, unlike some others (ahem.)

Class act, all around.

Shit, I even enjoyed watching him shill for HEB. Which was a lot better than shilling for Nike or McDonalds or insurance companies, again, unlike some others (ahem ahem).

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Kermit said:

Watching this dude play basketball was a fucking honor. Also, fuck Kevin Garnett.

An argument could be made that he is the goat.  Might not win that argument , but you could do it.  He never retired twice like Jordan.  Never bitched out in the playoffs and ran off an all start teammate like Kobe.  Never switched teams 3 times and tried to only play with his friends like lebron .   
I’ll stop now

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

An argument could be made that he is the goat.  Might not win that argument , but you could do it.  He never retired twice like Jordan.  Never bitched out in the playoffs and ran off an all start teammate like Kobe.  Never switched teams 3 times and tried to only play with his friends like lebron .   
I’ll stop now

Why don’t you keep going.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Why don’t you keep going.

I'll add a couple.

Never has a single sports franchise owed so much to one player. The rings, the dynasty, the legacy, and the hundreds of millions in revenues ... Tim was the catalyst for it all. It's a team game, but Timmy [i]is[/i] the Spurs.

Plus, his personality (e.g., humility, aversion to drawing attention to himself, and his willingness to be coached just as hard as any other player) perfectly fit a small-market franchise like San Antonio. He is one of the most centered celebrities I've ever observed, and possibly the most genuine superstar athlete I've ever seen.

As you stated earlier, we as fans were lucky to have him.

His retirement was not unlike losing a loved one--no matter how much time you spent watching, no matter how many games you cheered him on, you still found yourself wishing you had seen at least one more ... and savored it with the knowledge that something like him would never come this way again.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Never talked shit. Never beat his chest. Rarely, if ever, flopped, complained, or whined. Never, ever, acted like a bitch ass.

Studied the game, listened to his coaches, gave it his all, and played good, solid, fundamental, team basketball. Stepped into the leadership role when it was time, became a GOAT, then aged gracefully.

I don't recall his name ever appearing in the news in a negative light, unlike some others (ahem.)

Class act, all around.

Shit, I even enjoyed watching him shill for HEB. Which was a lot better than shilling for Nike or McDonalds or insurance companies, again, unlike some others (ahem ahem).

Tim Duncan was a bad ass, but rarely flopped? Come on, bro. Lmao

• Hook 'Em 1

So, a lot of folks have seen this.

But this one is better.  This guy got in my head and basically put together a YouTube video of my feelings.  Regardless of who you feel is the GOAT, if I had to pick one player to build a franchise around in basketball history, it would be Tim Duncan for what he was inside the lines and outside.  You don't generally hear about guys being the best player in the league AND the best teammate.  He's the best cornerstone ever taken.  The Culture of Tim hasn't been seen since maybe Bill Russell and I'm not sure when we'll see it again.  He was and maybe still is...... everything to the Spurs.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Tim is clearly one of the all-time greats, but I was under the impression that even Spurs homered recognized how surprised he was every single time he drew a foul. This is his iconic image to me:

6a00d8341c55aa53ef015431f53bec970c-pi

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Tim never had a reputation as a flopper. Now he was a world class ref-worker and serial ref-complainer. Maybe that’s what you’re referring to? He also liked to laugh occasionally, but oftentimes that got him into trouble.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Tim never had a reputation as a flopper. Now he was a world class ref-worker and serial ref-complainer. Maybe that’s what you’re referring to? He also liked to laugh occasionally, but oftentimes that got him into trouble.

Yea.  Not a flopper but according to Tim he went the entire 20 year career without committing a foul.

• Haha 1

Just caught the HOF ceremony. Not a surprise, great speech by Duncan. I know it doesn’t seem like his MO, but I hope he stays around the game/league. It will be better because of him.

What a legend. Top 10 (arguably top 5) center of all time imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Timmy did plenty of flopping, complaining and shit talking (in his own way, at least). That comment was ridiculous. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 3:44 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

One of my favorite hazy memories:  I think it was 2014 playoffs against okc or Dallas maybe.  Either a close out game or a pivotal game, going down to the wire.  Spurs go to Timmy on the left block two plays in a row and he delivers.  Keep in mind he is way past his prime and  he’s the been  nowhere near the main option on offense that season

I think this might be it.  Go to 6:00 in the video.  Holy crap then they go to him again two plays later.

*also F Kauai

That was Game 6 of the 2014 WCF. IT was my birthday and my wife and I went to SA and partied on the Riverwalk all weekend. We watched that game from Hotel Contessa and then went up to the streets to watch the parade of cars come from every direction.  That 2014 season is probably my favorite season of any of my sports teams.  It's up there with UT 2005 and Cowboys 92.  A lot of people also forget hat he played 4 years of college basketball making him probably the last super star to do so. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I assumed you Are like a guy that gets sentimental when drunk and looks at pictures of old girlfriends except instead of girls it’s Spurs players.

For every ex girlfriend there's a Spurs player that I love just as much as I loved her. I'm with Hate here if that's his practice.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, ztejas said:

For every ex girlfriend there's a Spurs player that I love just as much as I loved her. I'm with Hate here if that's his practice.

There was always some dude at the end of the bench that always liked and hoped he broke out and became a star.  I’ve totally forgotten most of them.  Only Stephen Jackson actually broke out .