2021 Houston Rockets Offseason Thread - May the Lottery Balls be in Your Favor

BigOrange1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Can’t complain when the downside was so great. No idea who goes #2. 

I think you go with Mobley. Rim protection and the ability to play offense at all 3 levels. But definitely wouldn't mind Suggs. Of course, Detroit could also take Mobley, they are fuck ups.

Edited by HtownHorn

We have wood who isn’t going anywhere for a couple of years I would guess unless he really blows up and we can flip him for more picks. Just curious how Mobley would get the playing time we need if we have wood. Suggs is who I would go with given he’s a Pg. but either way I’m down for another tank year so doesn’t matter.

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

Woj was saying earlier he wouldn't be surprised if we move the pick for you all star talent

I hope not, don’t want a fringe star so we can get the 8 seed and get destroyed the next few years but furtits is our owner so won’t be surprised if he did that.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

We have wood who isn’t going anywhere for a couple of years I would guess unless he really blows up and we can flip him for more picks. Just curious how Mobley would get the playing time we need if we have wood. Suggs is who I would go with given he’s a Pg. but either way I’m down for another tank year so doesn’t matter.

You could easily play Mobley and Wood together. Both are capable of playing BTA, face up, and create their own shot. Porter Jr. is the PG of the future, but Suggs definitely would slot in nicely next to him as an elite 3 and D wing with secondary playmaking ability.

3 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Woj was saying earlier he wouldn't be surprised if we move the pick for you all star talent

Lulz. The Rockets aren't an AS talent away from the playoffs. They should be tanking the next 2 years to get Gordon and Wall off their books, replenish the pipe line with young cheap talent, and then get a AS talent in FA that brings in the veteran presence needed to take the young core to the next step. 

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, HtownHorn said:

You could easily play Mobley and Wood together. Both are capable of playing BTA, face up, and create their own shot. Porter Jr. is the PG of the future, but Suggs definitely would slot in nicely next to him as an elite 3 and D wing with secondary playmaking ability.

I haven’t seen enough of Mobley to even know. Guess I’ll be on YouTube tonight. Ow.

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

I wouldn’t. Why would you- so you can finish 6th or 7th with no chance?  
tank two more years- trade Wood- shave off all salary and have room for 2 max slots with 3 high lotto picks going into the 2024 year when you don’t own your pick anymore and you are the beneficiary of whatever the nets do for you. 
the idea should be to be a championship contender in 2024. Need to nail these next 3 picks and then provide that as the backdrop for 2 stars to team up. 
I don’t think Ferntits can pull it off- but that should be the plan. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz. The Rockets aren't an AS talent away from the playoffs. They should be tanking the next 2 years to get Gordon and Wall off their books, replenish the pipe line with young cheap talent, and then get a AS talent in FA that brings in the veteran presence needed to take the young core to the next step. 

Completely correct except 2 all star talents. 

2022 - own; DET 17-30; best of BRK/MIA

2023 - own or swap with BRK; DET 19-30 if not settled; MIL; WAS 15-30

2024 - 1-4 own; DET 19-30; WAS 13-30 if not settled; BRK

2025 - a lot of swapping with us, OKC, and BRK; DET 14-30 if not settled; WAS 11-30  if not settled

2026 - 1-4 own; DET 12-30 if not settled; WAS 9-30 if not settled; BRK

2027 - own or swap with BRK; DET 10-30 if not settled

yep, next year is definitely another tank year and you rebuild around your back to back top 5 picks.

for those who haven't seen mobley, there are some chris bosh comparisons out there.  he's a big who can shoot and defend.  honestly, that's probably the direction i lean right now.

you cannot make this draft pick based around "need."  that's ridiculous.  you're the worst team in the league and you should suck again next year.  take the best possible player.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Process, chopped and screwed!

33 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
52 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I get going through the motions and saying the right things. But if the Rockets trade this pick for anything less than KD, them bitches can GTFO Houston.

yeah there really isn't a player out there that would make sense to trade the #2 pick for.  if harden was still on the team and had just been hurt all season, sure.  but there is no one out there that makes sense with what the rockets currently have.

6 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah there really isn't a player out there that would make sense to trade the #2 pick for.  if harden was still on the team and had just been hurt all season, sure.  but there is no one out there that makes sense with what the rockets currently have.

Yeah, I was thinking about it. What team is going to trade a young AS to start over with their team build for #2? I wouldn't even consider trading the 2 picks in the 20s, after what Huerter was able to do to help the Hawks get to the ECF, or Robinson last year with Miami. You need as many 3 and D guys in the 20s as you can get, to pair with hopefully one of your core pieces at 2. Then do the same thing next year with what is likely another Top 5 pick and 2 or 3 more 1st round picks.

Then you have Wall and Gordon off the books, you can likely move Wood for some assets if you don't think you are going to resign him. You have a good young core with a shit load of money to spend in FA.

You have a decent start to the rebuild.

Porter - 20 year old CG 16.6/3.8/6.3 on .425/.311/.734

Wood - 25 year old F/C 21.0/9.6/1.2 BLK on .514/.374/.631

Tate - 25 year old G/F 11.3/5.3/2.5/1.2 STL on .506/.308/.694

Martin - 20 year old F 9.3/5.4/ on .509/.365/.714

Brooks - 22 year old G 11.2/3.4/1.5 on .406/.382/.583

Those guys should be untradeable for next year.

Add to that nucleus and anyone else can be moved for younger assets you can develop.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Would you entertain trading the 2 to OKC for the 6 and go get back our picks in 24 and 26? I probably wouldn’t just because they are too 4 protected, but I think I’d at least have a meeting to discuss it...

Fuck no. If you are still drafting in the Top 5 in another 3-5 years then you should fire your entire front office and sell the team. The last thing you want to do is be another OKC.

• Like 2