2021 Houston Rockets Offseason Thread - May the Lottery Balls be in Your Favor

BigOrange1

Admittedly I’m only a casual observer, but I am often more fascinated by the drafts in NFL and NBA than the regular seasons. From most sites I’ve read and national radio the past month, all the talk was that Cunningham and Green were the two with the most upside and star potential in a league that values creating your own shot and 3&D skills. The knock on Cunningham was that he disappeared too often for OSU. Mobley may be a great and versatile big man, but is that what wins championships? This may be our highest pick for a long time, do you want to go the safe route and take a big whose ceiling (and by no means guaranteed) is Bosh or Paul George?

I’d take Cunningham or Green, whoever Detroit doesn’t. If you love one of them enough and Detroit is willing to swap picks for a fair price, maybe explore that. I wouldn’t cry if they took Suggs. Mobley seems like a guy who will become a good not great player and fringe Allstar, not the cornerstone of a championship team. 

For me unless a big man is Anthony Davis I would go with a guy like Green. The 4 teams still playing and only 1 has a big man considered a "CENTERPIECE" and that is Ayton and even that is a stretch. The rest are good guys that fit a role in todays NBA. I'm sure we will end up taking Mobley though I'm just not a huge fan. 

8 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

For me unless a big man is Anthony Davis I would go with a guy like Green. The 4 teams still playing and only 1 has a big man considered a "CENTERPIECE" and that is Ayton and even that is a stretch. The rest are good guys that fit a role in todays NBA. I'm sure we will end up taking Mobley though I'm just not a huge fan. 

Wasn't Ayton the leading scorer last night? You still need a guy that can protect the rim. Rockets tried small ball and they were blown off the floor by the bigger Lakers in 4 straight. I just don't value elite athleticism mixed with poor basketball fundamentals.

• Like 1

Right which is why I said ayton is the only one considered a centerpiece that’s left. The other 3 are zubac, Lopez and capella. All play their role well but not a centerpiece. Again if Mobley is AD it’s a no brained but the videos I saw last night I’m not blown away. I’m sure that’s who we will draft though.

5 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

The Rockets tank next year and the rebuild could be like the 1983 & 1984 drafts where we had the #1 pick in back to back years drafting Ralph Sampson in ‘83 and Olajuwon ‘84.  Only this time, the Rockets select a player who stays healthier than Sampson both physically and mentally.

Or trade their 2021 #2 pick for the equivalents of Clyde Dexler and Michael Jordan.

Please no Chet Holmgren.

10 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

In ‘83, of course, we had the #3 pick as well passing on our chance for Clyde Drexler & selecting Rodney McCray.  If only…….

No. Portland offered us #2 and Drexler for Sampson, knowing full well we were taking Olajuwon at #1. It's why they took Bowie over Jordan they wanted a big.

Edited by HtownHorn

I wasted an hour today watching video of all three guys. Some of you really think Mobley will be a perennial star on the next level? I just don’t see it. He wasn’t overly dominant in college, seems frail, and needs to work on his outside shot. 

The NBA is dominated by playmaking stars that can get you a bucket when you need it. Jalen Green seems to have the most star potential and could end up being better than Cunningham. He had a higher PPG than Mobley or Suggs against NBA-ish talent, and he was the MVP of the U17 team on which Mobley and Suggs both played. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

if you watched an hour of mobley and didn't see anything, that says more about you than it does mobley.  he is going to be a very good player at the next level.  he's the guy.  

I am hoping that Detroit doesn't take Cunningham. Then we can get him at 2, and get a guy like the Nevada big at 23/24. But outside of that dream scenario, Mobley over Green every day.

Edited by HtownHorn

9 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

if you watched an hour of mobley and didn't see anything, that says more about you than it does mobley.  he is going to be a very good player at the next level.  he's the guy.  

Highlight mix tapes on YouTube aren't the best gauge since they take every best play a guy has made but to each his own. It's like you can't say you're not blown away which means you don't think he's the next AD, it's not saying he blows but that's how you guys hear everything that goes against what you think is the right pick. 

I'm not real "wowed" by any of the top 4.

Given what Stone has said about taking the best player, regardless of position, leads me to believe they'll be taking Green.

I mean, you can never have too many guards, right?

Him playing in the G-League against professionals probably gives him a leg up on Mobley or Suggs.

I know it's not a direct comparison, but if the Rockets could get a Wood-Mobley pairing working similar to a Hawks Collins-Capela duo, that would speed up the rebuild. The Rockets must stop giving up the rebounding advantage to the opposition and defend better at the rim.

Look at Capela now - he's excelling in the exact same role in Atlanta and he's a huge part of the Hawks' success.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I know it's not a direct comparison, but if the Rockets could get a Wood-Mobley pairing working similar to a Hawks Collins-Capela duo, that would speed up the rebuild. The Rockets must stop giving up the rebounding advantage to the opposition and defend better at the rim.

Look at Capela now - he's excelling in the exact same role in Atlanta and he's a huge part of the Hawks' success.

Plus, Wood becomes a trade asset in a year. Hell, if the rumors are true that he's a cancer in the locker room, I'd move him for another draft pick this year.

18 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

And after you assemble this better than average big man duo, who will be your Trae Young to put up the big shots? Who will be the KD, Steph, Lebron, Harden, Luka, etc.?

I wouldn’t count on the Rockets having more top 3 picks in the near years. Also doesn’t Wood only have 2 years left on his contract? I think of him more as a trade asset than someone the Rockets will be building around by the time this #2 pick and next year’s pick mature. I assume the Rockets felt the same when they got Oladipo (that he had more flip value than Lavert).

On 6/23/2021 at 9:30 AM, Rockethorn1978 said:

This guy isn't considered a big man centerpiece? 6'11? Two time MVP? Can't shoot out of the paint? image.thumb.png.fd568667650842e58f9adfcc838c61f7.png

For what it's worth, I think Mobley is the best player in the draft. Not a lot of guys at his size with that skill set and mobility. 

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This guy isn't considered a big man centerpiece? 6'11? Two time MVP? Can't shoot out of the paint? image.thumb.png.fd568667650842e58f9adfcc838c61f7.png

For what it's worth, I think Mobley is the best player in the draft. Not a lot of guys at his size with that skill set and mobility. 

I think so too. I also think just the nature of the game today that he’s more likely to bust than any of the others. I say that about any big that doesn’t have full on little guys skills that they run a greater chance at busting- it’s just when they don’t they anchor NBA titles for you. 

The 3 guys I would love for the Rockets to get in later half of the draft are Wieskamp, Grimes, and Sims. All 3 had great outings at the combine and tested well + played well in the scrimmages.

Of course there are rumors starting to circulate that Miami may be interested in dealing Herro for a veteran piece including Wall and Gordon.

Edited by HtownHorn

• 2 weeks later...

The thing about bigs like Mobley playing at the college level is its difficult to get a good assessment of how good they really are. There simply isn't a lot of space on the interior for college bigs. And on top of that they are typically limited by lackluster guards who either don't realize their bigmen need the ball or can't get it to them consistently. The fact that Mobley is a extremely fluid athlete with seemingly high skill level makes him intriguing and easily the top pick in the draft if we weren't in the guard/wing era of NBA basketball.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Rockets trying to move up in this year's draft.

i don't see why the pacers would give up the #13 pick to take on gordon unless the rockets were including #23 and #24 this year, a future 1st rounder or someone like tate.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

i don't see why the pacers would give up the #13 pick to take on gordon unless the rockets were including #23 and #24 this year, a future 1st rounder or someone like tate.

It doesn’t appear they would.  The article is sort of wish fulfillment.  Pacers would likely ask for Wood or Tate.  The article surmises it would be Gordon but can’t think anyone wants his contract right now without assets attached but never know, I guess.

Houston’s only other players with contracts of at least two more seasons are DJ Augustin, who likely isn’t valuable enough for Indiana to move the No. 13 overall pick; John Wall, whose massive deal is likely too large to trade; and members of Houston’s “young core” like Christian Wood, Jae’Sean Tate, Kevin Porter Jr., and KJ Martin.

8 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

couple of christian wood trade ideas to add a 2nd lottery pick.  

thoughts?

Hornets.png

Kings.png

I’ve got a $500 bet with someone on clutch fans that Christian Wood will never play on a team that finishes above 500 for houston, so yes please. 
Woods timeline doesn’t make sense for a Rockets rebuild. What’s his point in the organization?  Deal him for whatever you can get of value. 

Personally I’d be worried about Mobley busting and about green busting, and I’d be worried either of them would make me look dumb not taking them. If I’m Houston I’d work hard to move to either 1 or 3. Certainty with Cade (Absent injury he’s gonna be real good at worst) or get an asset and let someone else make that decision for me. 
plus, other than KD #2 spot just seems cursed to me. 
Would Wood and the #2 (or whatever value we could get from moving Wood to someone else) be enough to move up to #1?

what would you want to move down to #3? 

If we really like one guy more than everybody else, then give Detroit #2 and back their pick so they aren't banned from trading first rounders until 2029. And maybe add a cherry on top. With such a strong top 3 in this year's draft, that would be a compelling offer for Detroit to trade us the #1.

18 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Personally I’d be worried about Mobley busting and about green busting, and I’d be worried either of them would make me look dumb not taking them. If I’m Houston I’d work hard to move to either 1 or 3. Certainty with Cade (Absent injury he’s gonna be real good at worst) or get an asset and let someone else make that decision for me. 
plus, other than KD #2 spot just seems cursed to me. 
Would Wood and the #2 (or whatever value we could get from moving Wood to someone else) be enough to move up to #1?

what would you want to move down to #3? 

i think both mobely and green are going to be good and honestly don't really want to move out of the #2 spot, so these are kind of half hearted ideas so i'm not sure if either would be a good enough trade for both sides, but here is what i came up with.  of the two, i actually like the trade with cleveland better because it gets us off wall's contract and gets back our own 2nd round pick next year which should probably a fairly early pick in round 2 (and since i'm fine with both mobley and green, i don't really think were losing out on much by trading 2 for 3):  (EDIT - I forgot to include the #2 pick in both of these trades, but obviously that would be included in each trade).

Pistons.png

Cavs.png

Edited by BigOrange1
i'm a moron

I love Christian Wood's game, but the Rockets will be terrible for the length of his contract. Successful rebuilds always trade guys like Wood. 

I like that Jalen Green has a year of professional basketball under his belt. That said, I could see the Pistons doing something crazy like drafting Mobley instead of Cunningham. Expect the unexpected in Detroit. 

i disagre.  i think all of cunningham, mobley and green are elite prospects.  i'm really not in favor of including any of this year's draft picks in a trade for #1.  if detroit wants to trade #1, i'd give them #2, their pick back and i'd put a top 18 protection on the 2023 milwaukee pick.  if that's not enough for detroit, i'm fine staying at #2.  

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

i disagre.  i think all of cunningham, mobley and green are elite prospects.  i'm really not in favor of including any of this year's draft picks in a trade for #1.  if detroit wants to trade #1, i'd give them #2, their pick back and i'd put a top 18 protection on the 2023 milwaukee pick.  if that's not enough for detroit, i'm fine staying at #2.  

Yeah, Detroit’s future pick, which could end up just being a 2nd, is much more valuable to them than anyone else since their hands are tied for future trades. If they really do like Green, maybe that’s all it would take to flip #1 and 2.

There’s a lot of noise about teams wanting Gordon. Several rumors were Indy offering #13 for him (Rockets might have to include #23 in some speculations). LOL you want to help our cap situation and give us a lottery pick? Ok thanks!

More than a week ago there was smoke about GS being interested in Wood, enough to send Wiseman + #14…or maybe Wiseman + #7 (possibly requiring a late first or future first going to GS). It’s fun to think of a scenario where Houston ends up with #1, #7, #13, and Wiseman by giving up Wood, Gordon, and the Portland and Milwaukee picks. 

6 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Yeah, Detroit’s future pick, which could end up just being a 2nd, is much more valuable to them than anyone else since their hands are tied for future trades. If they really do like Green, maybe that’s all it would take to flip #1 and 2.

There’s a lot of noise about teams wanting Gordon. Several rumors were Indy offering #13 for him (Rockets might have to include #23 in some speculations). LOL you want to help our cap situation and give us a lottery pick? Ok thanks!

More than a week ago there was smoke about GS being interested in Wood, enough to send Wiseman + #14…or maybe Wiseman + #7 (possibly requiring a late first or future first going to GS). It’s fun to think of a scenario where Houston ends up with #1, #7, #13, and Wiseman by giving up Wood, Gordon, and the Portland and Milwaukee picks. 

So Gordon had value because... his contract is expiring? The guy hasn’t been able to shoot since leaving New Orleans. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So Gordon had value because... his contract is expiring? The guy hasn’t been able to shoot since leaving New Orleans. 

He might be the only 20ppg player left making less than $20M/yr? I LOL’d at all these rumors and articles, but it seems like NBA GMs love to do stupid things.