2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

Westbrooks game 4 line might be the most bizarre stat line I've ever seen. 

19 pts 21 reb 14 assists on 3/19 shooting and 13/16 from the stripe 

2 steals 0 blocks 4 turns 5 fouls

I don't even know how to begin evaluating that. 

Edited by ztejas

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Machinator said:

If you told me that exactly one first-round series from this playoffs would end in a sweep, Bucks-Heat would not have been among my first three guesses.

Yeah well I was just a year off in calling it apparently.

49 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah well I was just a year off in calling it apparently.

Seriously, listening to Dan Patrick this morning and they have him as a poll question. He's impossible to rate.

Edit: whoops, meant to quote your other post....

Edited by Pam Cummings

19 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Seriously, listening to Dan Patrick this morning and they have him as a poll question. He's impossible to rate.

Edit: whoops, meant to quote your other post....

Yeah I mean it's guess it's kind of a wash? He adds some value playmaking and offensive rebounding but 19 points on 27 possessions shooting the ball is atrocious. He puts up these wild numbers but my gut tells me he's about replacement level. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Yeah I mean it's guess it's kind of a wash? He adds some value playmaking and offensive rebounding but 19 points on 27 possessions shooting the ball is atrocious. He puts up these wild numbers but my gut tells me he's about replacement level. 

Replacement level is geared for a below average player- basically someone you could pick up off the scrap heap at any time.  I think that performance is probably better than that standard.  If you want to say akin to the value brought by a 7th or 8th man in a playoff rotation then- sure?  Probably?  

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Replacement level is geared for a below average player- basically someone you could pick up off the scrap heap at any time.  I think that performance is probably better than that standard.  If you want to say akin to the value brought by a 7th or 8th man in a playoff rotation then- sure?  Probably?  

Yeah I'm probably using that term incorrectly. I meant he is about a net zero - his production doesn't markedly help or harm his team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah I'm probably using that term incorrectly. I meant he is about a net zero - his production doesn't markedly help or harm his team. 

That’s what I’d assumed you meant. Just wanted to accurately define term to see if that was indeed what you were saying. People get that wrong all the time. Take it to mean average. When replacement level is actually well below average.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

194331792_4749102251803160_3779022218216

He's been awesome.  Harden is a human cheat code that makes them all better, Kyrie can go nuclear at anytime, so you can't key on Durant.  Even at Golden State against the Rockets and Cavs, with all the talent Golden State had, they had moments where it all ground to a halt and they were like- KD- you got to get us a bucket here against the other guys best.  He won't have to do that anymore as they will just iso Harden to death, it's terrifying to leave Joe Harris, Blake can playmake a little bit, etc.  
That Warriors team, with their death lineup, was great offensively.  This offensive unit with the Nets, especially if they close with Jeff Green at the 5 if he gets healthy of Harden, Kyrie, Harris, KD and Green is probably the greatest offensive team of all time put together.  

KD also has been playing good defense.  I think Harden needs to hunt his shot slightly more with that closing group as overpassing (especially when they play together in the first quarter) has led to some TO's for them, but that's about the only hope, in my opinion, the defense has. It's scary hours for anyone else.  

Now, the dubs death lineup defense was way way way better than Brooklyn at the top of their game, so I'm not saying Brooklyn is better team overall, but on O it's such a huge benefit to have Harris over Iggy and Green over Draymond, and I think I might take Harden and Kyrie ever so slightly over the splash brothers.  Kyrie is better on the dribble and Harden is just built thicker going into the lane, and I would take those advantages over the splash brothers shooting advantages, especially in light of what the other teammates have in shooting.  I don't know how anyone is going to get the Nets stuck in the mud the way the Rockets and Cavs were able to at times.  Just an amazing offensive team. I hope they are all relatively healthy next year so we can see what they have with a season playing together and getting their fit down.  But, maybe the best thing for them, with how space cadet Kyrie is, with Harden being moody and with Durant having his occasional issues, is not all playing together so it doesn't get stale and they don't have the chance to overthink it.  There's something to be said for keeping it new.

Sorry if I'm the only one fascinated by the Nets on here. It's just really really interesting to me to see this kind of thing attempted.  

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

wait a second, there's a game 5? the series isn't over? but i thought the Wizards won the NBA championship last night? that's how their players and fans were acting afterward, so i just assumed the season was over. weird. 

You gotta give them a break. That's one of the most whipped franchises in professional sports. 

I know I’m just joining in with all the people that overreact but unless LAL get a 90% AD back this is a wrap.  Even with a healthy AD the Lakers don’t have the offense to win 4 imo.  I’d like to see CP3 win one but this is a cakewalk for the Nets.  I could do without seeing these super teams win every damn time.  Go Bucks or Suns...A healthy Nuggets would have been nice as well...