Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/02/04/north-texas-superintendents-resign/

After she was named Richardson Independent School District’s superintendent five years ago, she drew accolades for how well she advocated for district parents and the strides she made in closing the vast learning gap between students of color and white students. The Texas PTA named her superintendent of the year in 2019. Last year, the Dallas Business Journal named her a “leader in diversity.” Then it all came to a sudden stop.

She quit.

• Rage+1 1

A bit off topic, but there is a Oklahoma bill which allows anyone to sue a teacher if the teacher instructs on anything that offers an opposing view towards a religious view of a student.

• $10,000 cap on any incident, per student
  • if the teacher can’t pay, they’re fired
  • if the teacher takes any outside money (i.e. gofundme), they’re banned from teaching in OK
  • people can also sue to remove any book

i don’t believe it will pass but it also shows the overwhelming ignorance of the Republican state senator who is pushing the bill. There is no doubt that there are Christian teachers who instruct on something that would be opposing to a Muslim or a wide range of accepted religions.

these are the type of leaders we elect. I imagine this one closely resemble his constituents.

https://www.deseret.com/2022/2/4/22917896/oklahoma-bill-fine-teachers-10k-for-teaching-anti-religious-perspective-ban-books

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

“Heartbreaking is a pretty accurate way to describe this,” Stone said. “It’s all I’ve ever known. It’s all I’ve ever done. It’s all I ever wanted to do.”

I'm just a lowly teacher, and I don't have to wade through a tenth of the bullshit these people deal with, but if you don't think this sentiment isn't tricking down, you are in for a very rude awakening.

Even if teachers aren't getting the constant emails and phone calls, seeing the politics play out at school board meetings and reading about every political attack aimed at "battling indoctrination" has become a beatdown.

Good teachers are walking away in the middle of the year. People have decided to use public education to grandstand for stupidity, and your kids' educations are already suffering because of it.

12 minutes ago, tchookem said:

I'm just a lowly teacher, and I don't have to wade through a tenth of the bullshit these people deal with, but if you don't think this sentiment isn't tricking down, you are in for a very rude awakening.

Even if teachers aren't getting the constant emails and phone calls, seeing the politics play out at school board meetings and reading about every political attack aimed at "battling indoctrination" has become a beatdown.

Good teachers are walking away in the middle of the year. People have decided to use public education to grandstand for stupidity, and your kids' educations are already suffering because of it.

Individual teachers need to do what is best for themselves, including leaving the profession. I wouldn't suggest otherwise. It's good to recognize that getting teachers/admins to leave the profession is the goal of the people behind these attacks.

This is like guerilla warfare. That unassuming suburban mom has plenty of time to lead a normal life but hop on her keyboard to attack teachers, or show up to a monthly school board meeting . The long game is to remake schools in their facebook feed image.

• Like 1

Individual teachers need to do what is best for themselves, including leaving the profession. I wouldn't suggest otherwise. It's good to recognize that getting teachers/admins to leave the profession is the goal of the people behind these attacks.
This is like guerilla warfare. That unassuming suburban mom has plenty of time to lead a normal life but hop on her keyboard to attack teachers, or show up to a monthly school board meeting . The long game is to remake schools in their facebook feed image.
Crazy thing is, most of these parents are perfectly happy with their kids' schools and teachers. It's just like with politicians... "My guy is fine, I'll keep voting for him. Your guy is the problem. That's who needs to change." Meanwhile all the bitching and 'solutions' are making their kids' schools worse.

After she was named Richardson Independent School District’s superintendent five years ago, she drew accolades for how well she advocated for district parents and the strides she made in closing the vast learning gap between students of color and white students. The Texas PTA named her superintendent of the year in 2019. Last year, the Dallas Business Journal named her a “leader in diversity.” Then it all came to a sudden stop.

She quit.

Bad news: the assholes aren’t winning. They’ve already won.

On 2/5/2022 at 9:28 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

A bit off topic, but there is a Oklahoma bill which allows anyone to sue a teacher if the teacher instructs on anything that offers an opposing view towards a religious view of a student.

• $10,000 cap on any incident, per student
  • if the teacher can’t pay, they’re fired
  • if the teacher takes any outside money (i.e. gofundme), they’re banned from teaching in OK
  • people can also sue to remove any book

i don’t believe it will pass but it also shows the overwhelming ignorance of the Republican state senator who is pushing the bill. There is no doubt that there are Christian teachers who instruct on something that would be opposing to a Muslim or a wide range of accepted religions.

these are the type of leaders we elect. I imagine this one closely resemble his constituents.

https://www.deseret.com/2022/2/4/22917896/oklahoma-bill-fine-teachers-10k-for-teaching-anti-religious-perspective-ban-books

Like any judge in Oklahoma would enforce it in anything but an "that uppity librul upset a good Christian boy or girl" context.

This is how Jim Crow works. It's how it worked back then. It's not like the law was that only black people had to take a literacy test to vote. No. It was written to sound neutral. The oppression came in the discriminatory enforcement. 

Edited by wildcat09

13 minutes ago, YChang said:

Good for her.  Her approach gives me the faintest glimmer of hope.  The incoming generation may be able to help us out.....if there's much left by the time they can take charge.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Good for her.  Her approach gives me the faintest glimmer of hope.  The incoming generation may be able to help us out.....if there's much left by the time they can take charge.

Well, given that the GOP is also using this to gut public education (cameras in the classroom, criminalizing being a school librarian, etc.),  there's not going to be anything left.  

10 hours ago, lemonlime said:

Well maybe if the GQP wasn't banning Maus and gutting education on both slavery and the Holocaust, she might know how stupid it was to make this comparison.  

This caused me to reflect on why I know anything about Jewish persecution.  I haven't had a world history class since high school.  As mentioned, a lot about historical anti-semitism beyond the Holocaust was picked up in English class providing context for the Merchant of Venice.  That same year we read The Chosen, by Chaim Potok, which gave some additional context on Jewish culture and Zionism, but I think was really put there to temper MoV, although it is a fine novel in its own right.

In any event, I think it's probably not a very good idea to compare the relative struggles of minorities and oppressed groups.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

13k people liked it, so that's just nothing. Channeling a lot of Whoopi in the post.

There are a lot of equally dumbass comments and replies.

I think the bottom line is that it is a fairly nuanced subject apart from the fundamental horror of it and trying to place it in some kind of historical context is mostly beyond the average high school education, with or without censorship, CRT, etc.

6 minutes ago, elfenix said:

This person is clearly in need of more education, not less.

No doubt.  The question is what we can fairly expect from high schools, even apart from the efforts to dumb it down.

And, unfortunately, we can kind of expect a less-than-stellar education has been received by a goodly number of POC.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Slavery started in 1776?  Damn, what a coincidence!

No.  It started in 1619 when a bunch of white people captured black people in Africa and brought them over here.  First recorded incident of slavery in the world.  The USA is fundamentally racist as are all of its systems and institutions so they need to be torn down.  The American Revolution was actually a slaveholder's rebellion. Other countries did not ever have slavery. 

Can't both the holocaust and slavery in the Americas both have occurred and both be really bad?  Why does there even need to be a connection?  I don't know a single Jew or single black person that feels they need to be analog to one another.  

There could be a constructive conversation about how Jews also endured slavery (though in a very different context & setting) long ago.  And how that may influence and parallel the more modern slave trade of Africa and the Western Hemisphere.  One based on more on ethnicity/religion and the other based more on geo-economics.  

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

No.  It started in 1619 when a bunch of white people captured black people in Africa and brought them over here.  First recorded incident of slavery in the world.  The USA is fundamentally racist as are all of its systems and institutions so they need to be torn down.  The American Revolution was actually a slaveholder's rebellion. Other countries did not ever have slavery. 

Whether slavery existed elsewhere is irrelevant to the ongoing effects of slavery in America.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Whether slavery existed elsewhere is irrelevant to the ongoing effects of slavery in America.

This kind of plays into the "hate America" trope that the Trumpists like so much.

One can argue that slavery was bad, and its lingering after-effects maybe even worse in the US without arguing that the US is a "bad country."

It actually seems to reflect a lot of shame that certain people immediately conclude that such an argument is made by those who "hate America."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

On 2/5/2022 at 9:42 AM, tchookem said:

My sister in law has been a teacher in ft worth for 9 years and just walked away this week after getting a job for a private insurance firm. She said she loved the kids but couldn't deal with the parents and right wing political bullshit bullying anymore. 

There's a ton out there like her. Just a continuing of the breaking down of the systems in America. Getting worse every day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Have you read the 1619 Project or just Tuckem’s review of it?

• Hook 'Em 1

Agree with the projection of guilt, along with this warped idea of American Exceptionalism.  To me, the very thing that makes America great is the ability to acknowledge our past misdeeds and learn from them.  That's why we have national monuments at places like Manzanar.  

The trumpkins seem to have this innate belief that any criticism of America, past or present, is a personal criticism of them.  In my opinion, the best way to continue to move forward (progress) is to keep reaching for perfection, while acknowledging that perfection isn't possible.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Excellent points in last few posts.  Gotta repost my exhausted notion that it's always been disturbingly fascinating to me that the aspects of some people's lives that they are most proud of, are the aspects they had to least to do with---race at birth, nationality at birth, state of residence at birth.  People who are different than those, also do not choose those three aspects of their background, but we do an extremely great job of judging them for it.  

Biggest reason of all why I love the United States is because, just like science, we make mistake after mistake.  But we keep trying to get better.  That's all I can do as a father, as a husband, as a citizen, as a Christian, as a professional.  Just try and learn from the past, correct it if possible, accept when I can't change it, and plow ahead to be better.  It's tiny, incremental changes but overall---I feel like I get better.  I feel like this nation gets better.  I'm sure every generation felt like this, but I'm pretty fucking certain we've hit a serious roadblock in that pursuit.  

We let the stupid, the ignorant, the bigoted, the cruel...not only show their hand.  But we let them sit at the head of the table.  That's a high they're not gonna kick anytime soon.  We fucked up big time.  It's gonna take a couple of decades for them to die off.  I'd propose my final solution to the stupid question, but some of liberal pussies might find it a bit extreme.  

One of the most evident but underappreciated effects of American racism can be found in the generational wealth created by home ownership. When the boom began in the mid-20th century, the vast majority of African Americans were denied access to a market that would allow the white middle class to build wealth and pass it down to their children.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

One of the most evident but underappreciated effects of American racism can be found in the generational wealth created by home ownership. When the boom began in the mid-20th century, the vast majority of African Americans were denied access to a market that would allow the white middle class to build wealth and pass it down to their children.

“Hey everyone, in the era of greatest economic expansion and opportunity in our history, the one path to creating tangible wealth to appreciate and pass down is home ownership! Get in on it! Whoa whoa, not you folks in the back of the bus there. Y’all just sit back down.”
Seriously. That people can’t see such simple and linear effects still around today just blows my mind.
I am better off because my dad could go to a public university, get a professional degree, get hired in Texas, and buy a dinky house in the burbs. He couldn’t have done some or all of that if he was black (and even 20-30 years before, wouldn’t have been able to do some or all of it because of his last name). Had any of those things been denied to him, my security and opportunities would have been lesser. Meaning that the world I provide for my kids would be lesser. It’s a cascade.

22 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Very true.  Looking at a deed restriction that forbids resale to "negros" of your very own home, or the land at least, in your lifetime or that of your parents is pretty sobering.  And it is probably true of 90+% of this board.

• Like 1

Very true.  Looking at a deed restriction that forbids resale to "negros" of your very own home, or the land at least, in your lifetime or that of your parents is pretty sobering.  And it is probably true of 90+% of this board.

Yep. When I showed it to my wife in the docs for our prior home (1957 build date), she was stunned. “How can that be in there? How could they do that? Shouldn’t that be erased now?” Nope. It’s in the title history. Even if it’s now unenforceable, it’s in there forever.
But, you know, it’s all good now, racism and all of its effects are over, quit your bitchin’.
  • Rage+1 1

Yep. When I showed it to my wife in the docs for our prior home (1957 build date), she was stunned. “How can that be in there? How could they do that? Shouldn’t that be erased now?” Nope. It’s in the title history. Even if it’s now unenforceable, it’s in there forever.
But, you know, it’s all good now, racism and all of its effects are over, quit your bitchin’.
That would be a pretty intriguing primary source to share in a classroom. Maybe a history class during their Civil Rights unit.

Then again, some of the kids might make the connection between racist policies and current inequities. This of course might make them feel a little disappointed in America. Then I'm looking for a new job.
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, tchookem said:

That would be a pretty intriguing primary source to share in a classroom. Maybe a history class during their Civil Rights unit.

Then again, some of the kids might make the connection between racist policies and current inequities. This of course might make them feel a little disappointed in America. Then I'm looking for a new job.

You made the list, buddy. Why do you hate America?

6 minutes ago, tchookem said:

I have been aware of Shelly v. Kraemer for at least 30 years, but it remained an abstraction, another in the list of horrors perpetrated on blacks that was overruled in 1948.

But seeing it live and up close, during the probate of my parents' estates, brought it home a little further, along with having a greater appreciation of the benefits of home ownership.  And, I am a bit skeptical of the goal of "universal home ownership," primarily because the benefit derives from owning in the "right" areas.  Which, of course, was made impossible by such restrictions.

55 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That’s true. That and not getting any of the benefits of the GI Bill after coming home from fighting in WWII. No scholarship for you, pal.

Barred from getting an education. Barred from getting a loan to buy a house or start a business. Barred from getting a lot of jobs because white people are doing the hiring and they tend to hire people who look like them. And then, if you do manage to achieve some success, jealous white people might come and burn your shit down. 

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

haven't made my way all the way through this but food for thought

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/redlining/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Continuing the story... And recommending a response 

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

• Hook 'Em 1

Liberals: "Critical Race Theory is NOT being taught in K-12 schools."

Also liberals: "But don't even think about transparency; you'll have to trust us because we know what's best for your kid.  And don't forget to mask up your 5 year old."

And I love how they call parents "political organizations."  Shows you what they think of you.

• Fuck You 4

3 hours ago, tchookem said:

you trying to get your kids' history teacher fired?

15 minutes ago, Cement said:

Liberals: "Critical Race Theory is NOT being taught in K-12 schools."

Also liberals: "But don't even think about transparency; you'll have to trust us because we know what's best for your kid.  And don't forget to mask up your 5 year old."

You don't have to send little Schuyler and Madison to public school.  Feel free to have them attend Holy White Academy for Racial Purity if you'd like.

And no, there isn't a K-12 school in the country teaching CRT, you stupid jackass.

462 Braying Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1