Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Next you're going to tell us there wasn't anything nefarious about poll taxes.

Next he'll tell us theres nothing nefarious with the US army conducting medical experiments on entire communities without their knowledge or consent

You have any specific examples?  No one else here does.

Whites with GEDs get better mortgage rates than blacks with advanced degrees. You'll inherit wealth through property that black families have never had the ability to due to systemic racism in the property game.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

What is a current example of systemic racism in the United States, other than affirmative action?

How about fucking medical care for one? 

https://www.cms.gov/About-CMS/Agency-Information/OMH/Downloads/2019-National-Level-Results-by-Race-Ethnicity-and-Gender.pdf

"Although this analysis revealed few gender differences in care, it did reveal patterns in which (1) Black and Hispanic beneficiaries received worse clinical care than White beneficiaries on a large portion of the clinical care measures examined and (2) API beneficiaries reported worse patient experiences than White beneficiaries on almost all measures of patient experience. The results presented in this report lead to a conclusion that quality improvement efforts should focus on enhancing clinical care for Black and Hispanic beneficiaries and investigating differences between API and White beneficiaries’ patient experience. "

1 hour ago, PHLaggie said:

CRT posits that any differential outcomes are the result of race, and that America is systemically a racist society. It provides next to zero credence to individualism, to each person's personal agency to effect their own life.

*Affect

I'd say post-modern is accurate.  And,yes, taken to extremes, it virtually eliminates any responsibility for self-determination.

But it also contains nuggets of main truth, the largest being that black folk have gotten a shit deal in this country, and many others, but particularly so here due to slavery and Jim Crow.  Some of that is over with, and some isn't.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

I'm myself not white, and in fact a racial minority. So I'd "benefit" from a full implementation of CRT. However, I have seen similar ideologies implemented elsewhere in the world, and it does not lead to a good place. I sure hope America (and UT, and A&M too, obviously) isn't winding down that path...

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that's probably not gonna be a problem lol

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

I wonder where white people should live without their choice being labeled as fundamentally racist.

Maybe they should stop “identifying “ as white people and start acting like, just, people. You know, all men are created equal.  Start fucking acting like it, and stop bitching when someone who isn’t like you might get a special treat.  Fucking five year olds, man.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PHLaggie said:

Join Dr. Lindsay as he reads through this document and breaks down exactly why the requirements it entails amount to creating de facto discrimination, quotas in employment and advancement, and wholesale corruption that is to be enabled by a raft of expensive new equity commissars who add nothing of value to the institution. If UT Austin is something close to your life, this might be especially alarming and informative to you, as it is setting itself on the same path that destroyed The Evergreen State College in 2017. If not, you'll still find much value in the discussion of this document because something approaching a facsimile is likely to be in place or in the works wherever you learn, work, or worship. James's goal in this episode of the podcast is to inform you about what these documents really entail wherever they arise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA0xKcENvmg

So you are presenting an intersectional analysis from a right wing propagandist to argue intersectional analysis is a commie plot. 

Bold strategy, Cotton. 

Lindsay's position is that people don't understand and are shallow. As is often the case, his accusation is an admission.

He fails to inform his audience that the quest for understanding is PURE WESTERN CANON. Intersectionality is a means of determining what may or may not be accurate. 

Remember your Plato and Aristotle (WESTERN CANON), Enkrateia (mastery of facts or an issue) is not a particular virtue, but "the foundation of all virtues." 

TLDR: You are getting grifted by grifters.  Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

For 300 years, Donnie has been getting 2 scoops of ice cream, because his dad and his grandad lied, fled their birth country because they were pussies who couldn’t develop a democratic process, changed their name, and scammed darker skinned and other religious people out of their money and freedom.   Now Donnie has to part with one scoop of ice cream, and only has one left.  Donnie is terrified of losing his final scoop of ice cream!  

In short, fuck you.  I hope you’re digging graves for covid victims when you’re 80.  You can couch your shit in YouTube videos all you want, but the fact is you’re human trash that is preventing us from being what god really intended.   

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

So you are presenting an intersectional analysis from a right wing propagandist to argue intersectional analysis is a commie plot. 

Bold strategy, Cotton. 

Lindsay's position is that people don't understand and are shallow. As is often the case, his accusation is an admission.

He fails to inform his audience that the quest for understanding is PURE WESTERN CANON. Intersectionality is a means of determining what may or may not be accurate. 

Remember your Plato and Aristotle (WESTERN CANON), Enkrateia (mastery of facts or an issue) is not a particular virtue, but "the foundation of all virtues." 

TLDR: You are getting grifted by grifters.  Good luck.

Linday is a self-avowed and publicly known liberal, and a scholar (doctorate in math), certainly not a "right wing propagandist" as you seem to think he is.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

13 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Maybe they should stop “identifying “ as white people and start acting like, just, people. You know, all men are created equal.  Start fucking acting like it, and stop bitching when someone who isn’t like you might get a special treat.  Fucking five year olds, man.  

that would be the antithesis of CRT-- which posits that race is at the center of lived experience in America...  liberals like James Lindsay in fact bat against essentializing race the way CRT does.  CRT literally undoes the famous quote of Dr King about judging others by their character and not by their skin color-- CRT insists on judging everybody by their skin color.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 3

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

*Affect

I'd say post-modern is accurate.  And,yes, taken to extremes, it virtually eliminates any responsibility for self-determination.

But it also contains nuggets of main truth, the largest being that black folk have gotten a shit deal in this country, and many others, but particularly so here due to slavery and Jim Crow.  Some of that is over with, and some isn't.

This I can work with.

My response is that how do we get America to be better? Do we continue with the liberal democracy ideas of the constitution? Or do we chuck it all and replace it with what seems to be a divisive ideology at its core. I quoted from Delgado's book on CRT, in the into itself it notes that given enough power, CRT's goal is to uproot the Western liberalism, the objectivity of science, and to get rid of constitutional justice. That seems to read more like a Marxist utopian revolution, and we ought to know better from history than to allow the idea to grow.

• Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

that would be the antithesis of CRT-- which posits that race is at the center of lived experience in America...  liberals like James Lindsay in fact bat against essentializing race the way CRT does.  CRT literally undoes the famous quote of Dr King about judging others by their character and not by their skin color-- CRT insists on judging everybody by their skin color.

What the fuck are you talking about? The central thesis of CRT is that the law treats races differently by the color of their skin, and seeks to examine the relationship between race and law

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also "critical" as a modifier to any academic discipline basically means "so theoretical as to not be taken seriously, or very seriously."

Currently, the modus agendi of the right wing is to label anything that is race-conscious at all critical race theory.

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

See, this is a perfect example.  Instead of being curious as to why "cash bail" was proposed as an example of systemic racism, you reduce it to the barest possible argument.  You have no interest in learning, you are simply trying to bait others into what amounts to a giant waste of words.

Are you under the impression that anybody is being fooled?

That's not true. I want to understand what is so racist in how bail works in year 2021? SOmeone else posted a link to a wiki about systemic racism in America; I at least skimmed through it and found it interesting and will read more, although am familiar with most of the points made in it (most of them are historic in nature and not how things are at present).

• Fuck You 3

46 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Whites with GEDs get better mortgage rates than blacks with advanced degrees. 

Never seen race or education level on a mortgage application. Can UTPhil come in here and shed some light on this 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I guess we are getting something for the $30 million a year the University of Texas spends on its Diversity Department.

Its either that, or spend it on a football coach (and get accused of racism afterwards anyway cuz its 2021 and what isnt?)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also "critical" as a modifier to any academic discipline basically means "so theoretical as to not be taken seriously, or very seriously."

Currently, the modus agendi of the right wing is to label anything that is race-conscious at all critical race theory.

Then, by the same token, the left wing wants to ascribe any differences in outcomes to a reductionist approach-- if they're pushing CRT, then they ascribe any and all difference in outcomes to racism.  And that's simply untrue. 

Besides, if CRT is so esoteric as to be left to some scholarship closet, then why is UT (and A&M) hosting DEI committees and literally laying out policies that aim to hire and promote people at least partly based on race and other listed special interests? It's not just about being "race conscious" but rather it's about divisions based on race.

It's to the point that sometimes one can't even differentiate between Wokes and Racists anymore:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I guess we are getting something for the $30 million a year the University of Texas spends on its Diversity Department.

Bitching about other peoples money again.   How much of that did you personally earn and donate?  Maybe tree fiddy?  Ricky Schroder indeed.  

11 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Then, by the same token, the left wing wants to ascribe any differences in outcomes to a reductionist approach-- if they're pushing CRT, then they ascribe any and all difference in outcomes to racism.  And that's simply untrue. 

Besides, if CRT is so esoteric as to be left to some scholarship closet, then why is UT (and A&M) hosting DEI committees and literally laying out policies that aim to hire and promote people at least partly based on race and other listed special interests? It's not just about being "race conscious" but rather it's about divisions based on race.

It's to the point that sometimes one can't even differentiate between Wokes and Racists anymore:

"Affirmative Action" commenced before Critical Race Theory had even a name.

I am a little queasy about de jure discrimination to obtain "racial equality" as a concept.

I am not troubled by institutional and other efforts to recognize that black folks and other minorities have been operating at a significant disadvantage in this country for more than a century and to attempt to give them a hand up.

Absent awkward legal concepts like quotas, I don't generally believe that trying to help one segment of society is a zero-sum game that hurts another.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

What the fuck are you talking about? The central thesis of CRT is that the law treats races differently by the color of their skin, and seeks to examine the relationship between race and law

that may be CRT's thesis, sure. But that isn't really true. If it were true, then Nigerian American immigrants would be facing far higher rates of wrongful convictions than they do; anecdotally I would think they face far less issues with law than the average American.  Then again, Nigerian Americans likely have intact family structures and many other reasons why they don't run afoul of law and order.  America would do better to see how that works instead of getting on the CRT bandwagon.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 4

You have any specific examples?  No one else here does.

It is not that we don’t or can’t come up with anything, we all just recognize the tucker carlson within you and have numerous examples of watching you run away from a thread when faced with evidence.

And no one really wants to let you frame a discussion or drive it into some tangental nonsense.

You have good taste in BBQ so there I said something nice.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, PHLaggie said:

Then again, Nigerian Americans likely have intact family structures and many other reasons why they don't run afoul of law and order.  America would do better to see how that works instead of getting on the CRT bandwagon.

TFW racist policies designed to destabilize black families and communities in America have stressed and fractured family structures. Shit, when black folks got too rich the police fucking bombed and burned their neighborhoods off the fucking map. 

America would do better to see how it's history of racism in legislation and law enforcement has directly led to today's issues instead of telling them to get some bootstraps.

• Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

"Affirmative Action" commenced before Critical Race Theory had even a name.

I am a little queasy about de jure discrimination to obtain "racial equality" as a concept.

I am not troubled by institutional and other efforts to recognize that black folks and other minorities have been operating at a significant disadvantage in this country for more than a century and to attempt to give them a hand up.

Okay, so wouldn't it be better to provide underrepresented minorities with more educational support early on? Universal pre-K and other similar efforts seem to be interesting, I want to see how they get implemented and whether they make a difference. 

It would be far better to give that hand up. But CRT seems to be more interested in a hand out.  Rise up underachievers instead of removing the hurdle altogether and making everyone worse off. That's what's happening in magnet schools in Boston, D.C., San Fran and likely many other cities right now-- getting rid of entrance tests because too many Asians and whites get into it and not enough "underrepresented minorities".

Edited by PHLaggie
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 3

8 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Okay, so wouldn't it be better to provide underrepresented minorities with more educational support early on? Universal pre-K and other similar efforts seem to be interesting, I want to see how they get implemented and whether they make a difference. 

It would be far better to give that hand up. But CRT seems to be more interested in a hand out.  Rise up underachievers instead of removing the hurdle altogether and making everyone worse off. That's what's happening in magnet schools in Boston, D.C., San Fran and likely many other cities right now-- getting rid of entrance tests because too many Asians and whites get into it and not enough "underrepresented minorities".

You keep substituting CRT, when I am talking about things that aren't CRT.  DEI is not CRT.

Most "critical" theories demand deconstruction of the entire system that they analyze.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

Go on . . . 

yea, so? Listen to his explanation of why he voted for Trump. He discusses it in detail with Glenn Loury in the interview I posted above. In fact, that makes it clear that he is a liberal and certainly NOT a right winger! lol

His problem is with the liberals going hard Left. Believe it or not, that isn't just problematic for right wingers.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 6

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

You keep substituting CRT, when I am talking about things that aren't CRT.  DEI is not CRT.

May be I have it wrong, and am open to correction. My understanding is that DEI is basically one of the tools to implement CRT. DEI almost always starts with the assumption that a place is racist and therefore needs a DEI intervention, which is a CRT assertion.

• Fuck You 3

2 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

CRT is an evolution of postmodernism and of cultural Marxism-- the modifier "cultural" to Marxism being needed since Marxism deals primarily with issues of money (haves vs have nots) whereas CRT (and certain thinkers in postmodernism) puts the Marxist trope onto race. 

There is adequately detailed information available on CRT by cogent thinkers online; it's not hard to understand that it is at its core a divisive ideology.

Take it to CR 

• Haha 1

Just now, washparkhorn said:

Want more I see: 

so a PBS reporter is now a standard for who is a liberal?! lol what the heck is even that? Besides, anybody can shitpost on twitter in any given context. Meanwhile, you refuse to hear him talk about his liberal values that he talks on for a long time. Got it.

• Fuck You 5

2 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

May be I have it wrong, and am open to correction. My understanding is that DEI is basically one of the tools to implement CRT. DEI almost always starts with the assumption that a place is racist and therefore needs a DEI intervention, which is a CRT assertion.

Well, UT is racist.  It has a horrible racist history until very recently and still has a very small black student population.

I gather that things have changed, but UT in my day, 80s and 90s, had a stout reputation for grinding up people with poor high school backgrounds.  You could get in by being top 1/4, which is somewhat analogous to the top 6 or whatever percentage it is today.  It would have been an horrible environment for a first gen college student from a marginal-to-shitty, inner-city high school.

I think there are programs, allied to DEI, to help a lot of top 6% enrollees cope with the rigors of the place.  I'm fine with that.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

so a PBS reporter is now a standard for who is a liberal?! lol what the heck is even that? Besides, anybody can shitpost on twitter in any given context. Meanwhile, you refuse to hear him talk about his liberal values that he talks on for a long time. Got it.

I don't think you know what liberal means in that context. 

"Classical Liberalism" is Pretty F&^#@%g Conservative! - YouTube

Hint: think Mises.

Edited by washparkhorn

3 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

As an avowed liberal, I would like to thank far right idiots for bringing critical race theory to my attention. If it weren’t for you fucking morons and your obsession with talking about it every single fucking day on every single fucking platform available, I never would have heard of critical race theory. 

And i still don’t know what it is or why I as a liberal apparently want to foist it upon our nation and indoctrinate school children into its teachings. Or policies. Or is it a method? Fuck if I know!

But y’all dipshits seem to be really worked up about this CRT shit, so I have to assume either it’s a made-up bogeyman along the lines of satanic heavy metal subliminal messages, Antifa Capitol rioters, and pizza parlor sex dungeons or it’s a real thing that I should support. Because if y’all moronic dinguses are against it, it’s almost certainly good for humanity. So I think I’ll go read up on it tonight.

Thanks y’all!

You didn't get hit up with a big dose of it's kissing cousin Critical Legal Studies at Hahvahd?

The two big crits at UT during my time were both fresh from HLS.