Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

The first edition appeared in a 100-page issue of The New York Times Magazine on August 14, 2019. It included ten written essays, a photo essay, and a collection of poems and fiction,[26] with an introduction by editor-in-chief Jake Silverstein,[17][27] as follows:

• "America Wasn't a Democracy Until Black Americans Made It One", essay by Nikole Hannah-Jones Conservatives: Everything below is shit because Nikole Hannah-Jones claimed one of the primary reasons some colonist joined the revolution was to preserve slavery.
  • "American Capitalism Is Brutal. You Can Trace That to the Plantation", essay by Matthew Desmond
  • "How False Beliefs in Physical Racial Difference Still Live in Medicine Today", essay by Linda Villarosa
  • "What the Reactionary Politics of 2019 Owe to the Politics of Slavery", essay by Jamelle Bouie
  • "Why Is Everyone Always Stealing Black Music?", essay by Wesley Morris
  • "How Segregation Caused Your Traffic Jam", essay by Kevin Kruse
  • "Why Doesn't America Have Universal Healthcare? One Word: Race", essay by Jeneen Interlandi
  • "Why American Prisons Owe Their Cruelty to Slavery", essay by Bryan Stevenson
  • "The Barbaric History of Sugar in America", essay by Khalil Gibran Muhammad
  • "How America's Vast Racial Wealth Gap Grew: By Plunder", essay by Trymaine Lee
  • "Their Ancestors Were Enslaved by Law. Now They're Lawyers", photo essay by Djeneba Aduayom, with text from Nikole Hannah-Jones and Wadzanai Mhute
  • "A New Literary Timeline of African-American History", a collection of original poems and stories
  • Clint Smith on the Middle Passage
  • Yusef Komunyakaa on Crispus Attucks
  • Eve L. Ewing on Phillis Wheatley
  • Reginald Dwayne Betts on the Fugitive Slave Act of 1793
  • Barry Jenkins on Gabriel's Rebellion
  • Jesmyn Ward on the Act Prohibiting Importation of Slaves
  • Tyehimba Jess on Black Seminoles
  • Darryl Pinckney on the Emancipation Proclamation of 1863
  • ZZ Packer on the New Orleans massacre of 1866
  • Yaa Gyasi on the Tuskegee syphilis experiment
  • Jacqueline Woodson on Sgt. Isaac Woodard
  • Joshua Bennett on the Black Panther Party
  • Lynn Nottage on the birth of hip-hop
  • Kiese Laymon on the Rev. Jesse Jackson’s “rainbow coalition” speech
  • Clint Smith on the Superdome after Hurricane Katrina
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

That is also a criticism of real CRT.  It's dark shit, despairing; as you say.

I don't mean to minimize the nationalist movements and what they mean for minorities. but I think the popular majority most places (as opposed to the electoral or voting) is of good will on these issues, and, as someone notes, good ol miscegnation is going to moot a great deal of this, so, longer term I think humanity is "ok."  The short term may be rough.

Not to overplay the role of CRT in all of this, but it should be noted that when the ability of the “popular majority” to hold serve against racially hostile, non democratic forces is thwarted, the abuses never before tolerated, are tolerated and the atrocities, once never imaged, become commonplace.

13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm not going to get an answer on this, am I?

I asked him nearly two months ago to cite where the 1619 project states that the USA would be poorer today if slavery never existed here and he still hasn't gotten back to me. And he never got back to @Nivek in the things not going well for BLM thread. Poor guy must be incredibly busy.

36 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I asked him nearly two months ago to cite where the 1619 project states that the USA would be poorer today if slavery never existed here and he still hasn't gotten back to me. And he never got back to @Nivek in the things not going well for BLM thread. Poor guy must be incredibly busy.

Or I just don't give a fuck about either of you.  One of those.

On 3/16/2022 at 12:17 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Or I just don't give a fuck about either of you.  One of those.

What post?  I don't follow you around nor do I have notifications.  If you'll show me, I'll respond.

This is what you posted on Feb 8th.   

Well you invited me to the discussion, then ran away once I provided evidence.   You have a history of running away when challenged.  I mocked you for that before but accepted your response above as plausible.   At this point, though,  that excuse doesn't fly.   You cared.  You just ran away to your Kyle Rittenhouse boyfriend pillow for sanctuary.    You are just here for the echo-chamber of right wing morons and to spread lies like GRUhorn.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/13/2022 at 7:00 PM, aggie08 said:

This period where Donkey pretends to be an open-minded pragmatist just looking for a discussion--before he inevitably goes off the deep end one evening and nukes another user name--is so fucking boring.

image.png.bfccd40b377c8bada739e42535ce8894.png

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I saw that this morning.  I'm pretty anti-cancel culture, but that teacher showed a remarkable lack of judgment.  I'm not convinced she should be fired, but I'm leaning that way.

I’m not big on firing people who make and admit their mistakes. I am, however, a big believe in consequence culture.

12 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Meanwhile, parents who are concerned about the indoctrination their kiddos might be exposed to in the godless public schools, should seriously consider places like Turning Point Christian School:

https://onlysky.media/hemant-mehta/we-want-him-out-a-christian-teacher-taught-kids-an-anti-biden-chant/

If you send your kids to a Christian School, you should be pretty on board with indoctrination about hating others. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

If you send your kids to a Christian School, you should be pretty on board with indoctrination about hating others. 

Fred Phelps would call it “God’s perfect hate”. That’s how he explains his hatred for the LGBTQ+ community. True story.

• Rage+1 1

40 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I saw that this morning.  I'm pretty anti-cancel culture, but that teacher showed a remarkable lack of judgment.  I'm not convinced she should be fired, but I'm leaning that way.

To understand conservative Christian schools, you need to accept this contrast:

Teacher launches blatant political attacks DURING class time?  "We'll talk to her about using better judgment.  Please keep this quiet."

Teacher, in his/her private life only, has a relationship with a person of the same sex?  "TERMINATE THAT WHORE OF BABYLON IMMEDIATELY!  OUR KIDS MIGHT CATCH THE GAY!!"

American Christianity is not remotely close to being a Jesus/Gospel based phenomenon.  It's a weaponized business.

I HATE politics in the classroom and it goes both ways. My children go to a Christian based private school and I had to nip the political talk in the bud very early on.

It was actually a shock to find out that children were talking about politics so early in life-- I certainly wasn't in elementary school. I think I didn't even know what I believed (or thought I believe, as those beliefs have evolved and changed) until high school if even then. Kids these days are sending memes and videos to their friends via text or discord and naming their user names "Sleepy Joe Biden Needs Coffee" (I literally saw a kid in my son's class do that) on their Virtual math programs and zooms and what not and I'm guessing just repeating partisan junk they are hearing from their parents, but goodnight-- what happened to not talking about politics in mixed company and in front of children, because it is rude and vulgar?

And yes, I know, I'm sure my children engage in some political conversation when I'm not there, but they know I won't tolerate them taking any political positions or positing because as I've told them, they don't know what the heck they are talking about and don't know their head from their elbows politically at their age and should just shut their mouths until they have some knowledge and experience.

Edited by TurkeyChew

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

To understand conservative Christian schools, you need to accept this contrast:

Teacher launches blatant political attacks DURING class time?  "We'll talk to her about using better judgment.  Please keep this quiet."

Teacher, in his/her private life only, has a relationship with a person of the same sex?  "TERMINATE THAT WHORE OF BABYLON IMMEDIATELY!  OUR KIDS MIGHT CATCH THE GAY!!"

American Christianity is not remotely close to being a Jesus/Gospel based phenomenon.  It's a weaponized business.

Yep. One should remember that many of these schools have their genesis in the white flight movements of the early 80’s.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

And yes, I know, I'm sure my children engage in some political conversation when I'm not there, but they know I won't tolerate them taking any political positions or positing because as I've told them, they don't know what the heck they are talking about and don't know their head from their elbows politically at their age and should just shut their mouths until they have some knowledge and experience.

You do you, but that's silly.  If your kids are engaging in political conversation, then you should do the same with them.

Nobody will believe this, but when my kids started getting politically "curious", I tried to avoid taking positions so much as encourage them to read and listen to what they could and craft their own perspectives.  They did exactly that.  I certainly argued some of their takes, I have my own views, but I wanted them to learn and grow and become adept at taking in a swath of information and developing their own viewpoints.

Telling your kids to shut up rather than fostering their curiosity is a really bad take.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

You do you, but that's silly.  If your kids are engaging in political conversation, then you should do the same with them.

Nobody will believe this, but when my kids started getting politically "curious", I tried to avoid taking positions so much as encourage them to read and listen to what they could and craft their own perspectives.  They did exactly that.  I certainly argued some of their takes, I have my own views, but I wanted them to learn and grow and become adept at taking in a swath of information and developing their own viewpoints.

Telling your kids to shut up rather than fostering their curiosity is a really bad take.

I understand where you are coming from and can see your point and I appreciate the tact you've taken-- it's just not for me or mine. 

In the political climate we live in, I want my children to 100% focus on everything BUT politics because I think being in elementary and middle school and concerning yourself with such punditry (because that's all it is at that age for my children and their peers described above) is a complete distraction and waste of time, energy and mental effort compared to just about anything else they could be doing in school or at home. 

They can have political opinions when they are older, and I don't give a crap what they are, but while they are on my payroll I'm going to try and get them to not waste time with foolishness when there is development work to be done.

Besides, arguing about stupid politics and wasting time is what guys like Brisket and I get paid handsomely to do online.

• Haha 1

meanwhile, in houston

Complaints: Books challenged in Houston schools are 'contrary to everything Christian', promote BLM

At least 19 books and learning materials were removed following complaints across 32 Houston-area districts, including several books pulled from campus libraries but not others, according to a Houston Chronicle survey of area school systems. 

• "Lawn Boy" by Jonathan Evison: banned in October from all Katy ISD libraries after formal and informal complaints due to “pervasive vulgarity.”
  • "Losing the Girl" by MariNaomi: banned from all Katy ISD libraries after an internal review in October for “pervasive vulgarity.”
  • "Me Earl and the Dying Girl" by Jesse Andrews: banned in October from all Katy ISD libraries after a formal reconsideration request due to “pervasive vulgarity.”
  • "Out of Darkness" by Ashley Hope Perez: banned in October from all Katy ISD libraries after an internal review for “pervasive vulgarity.”
  • "The Nerdy and the Dirty" by B.T. Gottfred: banned in October from all Katy ISD libraries after an internal review, as well as formal and informal complaints, due to “pervasive vulgarity.”
  • "Forever for a Year" by B.T. Gottfred: banned in November due from all Katy ISD libraries after formal and informal complaints of “pervasive vulgarity.”
  • "Jack of Hearts (and other parts)" by L.C. Rosen: banned in November from all Katy ISD libraries after formal and informal complaints due to “pervasive vulgarity.”
  • "All Boys Aren't Blue" by George Johnson: banned in December from all Katy ISD libraries after formal and informal complaints due to “pervasive vulgarity.”
  • "The Handsome Girl and Her Beautiful Boy" by B.T. Gottfred: banned in January from all Katy ISD libraries after a formal complaint due to “pervasive vulgarity.”
  • "A Court of Mist and Fury" by Sarah J. Maas: banned from all Katy ISD libraries after an internal review in February due to “pervasive vulgarity.”
  • "Beauty Queens" by Libba Bray: formally challenged in Conroe ISD because the complainant said it depicted “multiple uses of profanity,” “masturbation,” and “teen sex,” among other complaints in October. A review committee found it was appropriate and that decision was appealed. An appeal committee decided to remove the book only from junior high school libraries.
  • "Child Soldier: When boys and girls are Used in War" by Jessica Dee Humphreys & Michel Chikwanine: challenged in February 2021 email to a Cy-Fair ISD library because the complainant said it contains images of “how children were cut on their arms to inject a mixture of gunpowder and cocaine in their body.” The book was removed from the district.
  • “Drama: A Graphic Novel” by Raina Telgemeier: challenged in an email in October in Cy-Fair ISD. The complainant said it was inappropriate because “one of the characters comes out as gay, there are two teenagers caught in a room making out, girls discussing their crush on a guy who may be gay and another character talking about being bi.” The book was removed from the district.
  • “Transformers, Revenge of the Fallen Vol 2, Official Movie Adaptation” by Simon Furman: informally challenged in December in Clear Creek ISD. The reason for the challenge is unclear based on records provided by the district. The school system removed the book.
  • “It’s Perfectly Normal” by Robbie H. Harris: informally challenged in June 2021 in Clear Creek ISD. The reason for the challenge is unclear based on records provided by the district. The school system removed the book.
  • "The Breakaways" by Cathy G. Johnson: formally challenged in October in Spring Branch ISD because the complainant said it contained “political propaganda” and a storyline about a child kissing another child who was transgender at a sleepover. A review committee removed it only from elementary libraries

Bigbird One Of These Things Is Not Like The Others GIF - Bigbird One Of These  Things Is Not Like The Others - Discover & Share GIFs

(more at the link)

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/education/article/Complaints-Books-challenged-in-Houston-schools-17011592.php

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Yep. One should remember that many of these schools have their genesis in the white flight movements of the early 80’s.

Try late 60s. The entire religious right origins began with organized pushback against  the Feds threatening the tax exempt  status of private schools that were discriminating on race.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Try late 60s. The entire religious right origins began with organized pushback against  the Feds threatening the tax exempt  status of private schools that were discriminating on race.  

Yeah, white flight began in earnest in the 60s.  Brown v. Board of Education was in 1954, and the federal courts began supervising its enforcement after Brown II in 1955, and busing and re-districting started to follow.  When that became inevitable, various white flight schmes came into effect.

3 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

they don't know what the heck they are talking about and don't know their head from their elbows politically at their age and should just shut their mouths until they have some knowledge and experience.

Ironymeter, busted all to hell.  Thanks.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

I HATE politics in the classroom and it goes both ways. My children go to a Christian based private school and I had to nip the political talk in the bud very early on.

It was actually a shock to find out that children were talking about politics so early in life-- I certainly wasn't in elementary school. I think I didn't even know what I believed (or thought I believe, as those beliefs have evolved and changed) until high school if even then. Kids these days are sending memes and videos to their friends via text or discord and naming their user names "Sleepy Joe Biden Needs Coffee" (I literally saw a kid in my son's class do that) on their Virtual math programs and zooms and what not and I'm guessing just repeating partisan junk they are hearing from their parents, but goodnight-- what happened to not talking about politics in mixed company and in front of children, because it is rude and vulgar?

In the school yard at age seven, we chanted: “Nixon, Nixon, ring the bell, make McGovern go to Hell.” But we were being raised by R parents. They likely shared your disconnect.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Claro

15 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

I understand where you are coming from and can see your point and I appreciate the tact you've taken-- it's just not for me or mine. 

In the political climate we live in, I want my children to 100% focus on everything BUT politics because I think being in elementary and middle school and concerning yourself with such punditry (because that's all it is at that age for my children and their peers described above) is a complete distraction and waste of time, energy and mental effort compared to just about anything else they could be doing in school or at home. 

They can have political opinions when they are older, and I don't give a crap what they are, but while they are on my payroll I'm going to try and get them to not waste time with foolishness when there is development work to be done.

Besides, arguing about stupid politics and wasting time is what guys like Brisket and I get paid handsomely to do online.

No politics for your children, but you'll take them to evangelical indoctrination dressed up as Sunday school or big church, I'd bet. I grew up in a SBC megachurch, and I'm still realizing how much propoganda and programming I was inundated with.

It's not political to think gays and trans folks are sinners and wrongdoers - thats just what Jesus says! I've been out of the church for a while so I'm not sure what the current talking points are, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts your church has had at least one CRT sermon in the last six months too.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

Never discussing sex ed and sheltering kids from the subject by hiding them in Christian schools has also historically worked well to prevent kids from having sex. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

No politics for your children, but you'll take them to evangelical indoctrination dressed up as Sunday school or big church, I'd bet. I grew up in a SBC megachurch, and I'm still realizing how much propoganda and programming I was inundated with.

It's not political to think gays and trans folks are sinners and wrongdoers - thats just what Jesus says! I've been out of the church for a while so I'm not sure what the current talking points are, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts your church has had at least one CRT sermon in the last six months too.

You know what they say about assuming...

39 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Never discussing sex ed and sheltering kids from the subject by hiding them in Christian schools has also historically worked well to prevent kids from having sex. 

Why are you conflating sex ed with politics?

I simply said it's beyond strange to me that kids are political creatures today because my experience as a young man in middle school was nobody gave a crap about politics and if you did, you were a weirdo nerd who nobody wanted to be around. Now all the kids are fueled with political talking points and espousing the latest memes and funny nicknames in a classroom or playground setting. Blows my mind and makes me think we as a society are growing more political (bad thing, IMO) and having kids as child foot soldiers for your politics, on both sides, (bad thing, IMO) is unhealthy. No middle schooler in my sphere of influence has the lived experience to have anything more than the most general and vague political opinion; so general and vague as to be not worth vocalizing or repeating.

Sex education is a whole 'nother ball of wax. It should be appropriately taught and discussed and has been in my household with pre-pubescent and pubescent sexual beings. Just because I don't want my children tainted and distracted with the foolishness that is American Politics today, doesn't mean I don't want them sufficiently educated and aware of sex health and expectations.

Edited by TurkeyChew

On 3/19/2022 at 12:05 PM, Pancho said:

I would teach my kids to challenge everything in history class.  Wait the country was founded by pilgrims who left England after a semi-successful insurrection that killed a king, but the citizen support waned as they realized they were a bunch of murderous cunts and so they fled to the New World not for religious freedom but to save their asses from the purge they so justly deserved (since they spread lies and had the Irish slaughtered for their own political gain).    You mean those pilgrims? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Surely you jest.  I was told they are apolitical and that we shouldn't tax them so they will stay out of politics.  But once we make them pay their share they might become political.   

22 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

I simply said it's beyond strange to me that kids are political creatures today because my experience as a young man in middle school was nobody gave a crap about politics and if you did, you were a weirdo nerd who nobody wanted to be around. Now all the kids are fueled with political talking points and espousing the latest memes and funny nicknames in a classroom or playground setting. Blows my mind and makes me think we as a society are growing more political (bad thing, IMO) and having kids as child foot soldiers for your politics, on both sides, (bad thing, IMO) is unhealthy. No middle schooler in my sphere of influence has the lived experience to have anything more than the most general and vague political opinion; so general and vague as to be not worth vocalizing or repeating.

I think children have always picked up more from adults than... well adults/parents realize. And there's definitely something to your point of current and near-future generation of kids being more politically aware due to social media. Well, that cat is out of the bag so to speak. And now it's up to us and our institutions to help guide them in a responsible manner. And well damn if that original video isn't another piece of evidence of the far right's hypocrisy. 

I don't fundamentally disagree with the animal-tobacco man.  Until maybe high school, or middle school for very astute kids, politics is just another form of tribalism.  Whether kids are more knowledgeable than the average adult voter is not really an answer to the question, in my opinion.

And, I am not going to assume that the Christian school his kids attend engage in other forms of tribal indoctrination that broadly fall into the category of politics.  It might, it might not.

• Hook 'Em 3

48 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't fundamentally disagree with the animal-tobacco man.  Until maybe high school, or middle school for very astute kids, politics is just another form of tribalism.  Whether kids are more knowledgeable than the average adult voter is not really an answer to the question, in my opinion.

And, I am not going to assume that the Christian school his kids attend engage in other forms of tribal indoctrination that broadly fall into the category of politics.  It might, it might not.

My point is the pernicious lie of surrounding these kids with partisan opinions and "normalcy" and then calling it religion instead of politics. That's a VERY common aspect of those predominantly white, expensive, christian private schools is. It's an inherently insular community where concerned tobacco-based parents don't want their children to be faced with ANY concept that isn't approved by them. It's the same grievance as poor whites sending their kids to public schools and wanting to burn the books that expose a non-white-centric world view - it's just that chrispy is wealthy enough to do something about it.

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

My point is the pernicious lie of surrounding these kids with partisan opinions and "normalcy" and then calling it religion instead of politics. That's a VERY common aspect of those predominantly white, expensive, christian private schools is. It's an inherently insular community where concerned tobacco-based parents don't want their children to be faced with ANY concept that isn't approved by them. It's the same grievance as poor whites sending their kids to public schools and wanting to burn the books that expose a non-white-centric world view - it's just that chrispy is wealthy enough to do something about it.

Sure, it happens and with some frequency.  But I'm not sure you can accuse every "Christian" private school of it.  Jesuit schools are "Christian" and I'm virtually certain it doesn't happen there, much.  Probably most other Catholic schools, too, and mainline prod schools, too.

I know multiple people whose kids went to St. Andrew's Episcopal school in Austin, and none are particularly religious.  They wouldn't put up with political or religious indoctrination, although I assume the school has services/prayers and whatnot.  That kind of thing they obviously tolerate.

Of course, Episcopalians don't tend to be overly right-wing in their viewpoints, at least from a high perspective.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's why the DT crowd talks politics all the time in there and doesn't even comprehend it as politics.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's why the DT crowd talks politics all the time in there and doesn't even comprehend it as politics.  

This is no joke - I'd call it out in the thread but I wouldn't want blacklab to ban me. Look at this shit

On 3/21/2022 at 9:17 AM, DaggerHorns said:

This hasn’t existed for years.

Different points of view are no longer respected or allowed. New generations cancel anyone that goes against the grain whether right, wrong, agree, disagree, etc.

New generations are known for killing the 1st amendment right.

“I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It”

While I respect the view of anyone or anything, I may not like it but I will not ever be in a position to disallow it.

I always loved UT for the difference in perspectives and the freedom of thought. Sadly, I certainly don’t see the same occurring in this day and age.

It's the same fucking argument as Ted Goddamn Cruz. But surly snowflakes would REEEEE if you point that out

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I know multiple people whose kids went to St. Andrew's Episcopal school in Austin, and none are particularly religious.  They wouldn't put up with political or religious indoctrination, although I assume the school has services/prayers and whatnot.  That kind of thing they obviously tolerate.

Of course, Episcopalians don't tend to be overly right-wing in their viewpoints, at least from a high perspective.

I'm sure captainant is referring to "nondenominational" (read fundagelical) private schools and he would be completely right about most of those.  

But "Christian" school is a big umbrella.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

I'm sure captainant is referring to "nondenominational" (read fundagelical) private schools and he would be completely right about most of those.  

But "Christian" school is a big umbrella.

You're correct in that assumption - I definitely have a negative bias against private schools. I grew up in a fundagelical private school up until I switched to a public middle school. 

But the fact that those Jesus Camp schools get the same umbrella of protection as actual academic institutions that have a religious affiliation IS the problem. And now thanks to the efforts of betsy devos and useful idiots like chrispy, those schools are gaining access to public funds for their private spiritual war against secularism.

CRT is just another useful lever to strip funding and knowledge from public education so they can further justify privatization of the school system.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You're correct in that assumption - I definitely have a negative bias against private schools. I grew up in a fundagelical private school up until I switched to a public middle school. 

But the fact that those Jesus Camp schools get the same umbrella of protection as actual academic institutions that have a religious affiliation IS the problem. And now thanks to the efforts of betsy devos and useful idiots like chrispy, those schools are gaining access to public funds for their private spiritual war against secularism.

CRT is just another useful lever to strip funding and knowledge from public education so they can further justify privatization of the school system.

I have cousins in Monroe, Louisiana.  Because Lousiana schools tend to be so atrocious, lots of non-denominational Christian schools have cropped up.  Shreveport's Evangel is one, Ouachita Christian in Monroe is another.  Both have kind of turned into "jock factories," incidentally.

OCS was an entree for my cousin to become pretty fundagelical.  They're not wholesale into it, but moreso than their Presbyterian and Catholic upbringings would suggest.  They were just looking for the best school for their kids.  It's sad.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

Why are you conflating sex ed with politics?

Sex education is a whole 'nother ball of wax. It should be appropriately taught and discussed and has been in my household with pre-pubescent and pubescent sexual beings. Just because I don't want my children tainted and distracted with the foolishness that is American Politics today, doesn't mean I don't want them sufficiently educated and aware of sex health and expectations.

I’m not, and its weird that that’s your take. I’m pointing out that making a subject verboten and/or trying to shield them from it rarely works out. You can either be an active participant in your child’s education about something, or you are willingly outsourcing that education to someone else. Someone else being the likely worst parts of the internet, their dip shit friends that also probably learned a lot from the worst parts of the internet, or other adults that may or may not have their best interests in mind. Politics, racism, sex ed, drugs, alcohol, all of them. It’s been my experience that the more you resist or try to suppress a subject, the more interested a kid gets about it. 

I would also add, that if you’re seeing your kid using extreme political language or memes, it’s something they are being exposed to regularly. Your home is the likeliest source, and while parents that think they do a good job hiding their vices, kids are very perceptive and will idolize and emulate those vices because their favorite people do them. A kid won’t hear let’s go Brandon in passing and latch onto it. A kid hearing his dad saying it and all his friends high fiving about it will get their attention. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have cousins in Monroe, Louisiana.  Because Lousiana schools tend to be so atrocious, lots of non-denominational Christian schools have cropped up.  Shreveport's Evangel is one, Ouachita Christian in Monroe is another.  Both have kind of turned into "jock factories," incidentally.

OCS was an entree for my cousin to become pretty fundagelical.  They're not wholesale into it, but moreso than their Presbyterian and Catholic upbringings would suggest.  They were just looking for the best school for their kids.  It's sad.

What a coincidence.

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

I’m not, and its weird that that’s your take. I’m pointing out that making a subject verboten and/or trying to shield them from it rarely works out. You can either be an active participant in your child’s education about something, or you are willingly outsourcing that education to someone else. Someone else being the likely worst parts of the internet, their dip shit friends that also probably learned a lot from the worst parts of the internet, or other adults that may or may not have their best interests in mind. Politics, racism, sex ed, drugs, alcohol, all of them. It’s been my experience that the more you resist or try to suppress a subject, the more interested a kid gets about it. 

I would also add, that if you’re seeing your kid using extreme political language or memes, it’s something they are being exposed to regularly. Your home is the likeliest source, and while parents that think they do a good job hiding their vices, kids are very perceptive and will idolize and emulate those vices because their favorite people do them. A kid won’t hear let’s go Brandon in passing and latch onto it. A kid hearing his dad saying it and all his friends high fiving about it will get their attention. 

Okay I think I see your point now. Sorry for my lack of a grasp earlier.

I agree that making making a subject verboten is not likely to work and is unhealthy, usually. Your sex education example now makes sense. Kids will rebel or act out or find other ways to satiate their curiosity. I think sex education is in a whole different bucket than politics, however. For me, I would say that engaging children/young teens in politics is more akin to alcohol and drugs. These are superfluous and unnecessary parts of culture and environments and lifestyles that are surrounding your children and families (or not) depending on your beliefs and environments.

That said, I could see you taking an active approach to political conversations with your kids like you would with booze and drugs. You have some parents who let their kids "experiment" in their homes in a safe, controlled environment to scratch the curiosity bug. Others think that is inappropriate. I think both are right, depending on their children's personalities and the core family beliefs. 

And yes, I think politics (as we define the conversation in 2022 and engage and identify) are just as unhealthy and toxic to the kid/teen brain as something like porn. Both things I want my developing children to avoid as their brains are growing and as they spend their finite time and energy on priorities to make a life that give them the privilege later in life of raising children in whichever way they think fit.

This is why, even when the politics match my own, I make it clear that I don't want them engaging in political jokes or discourse (e.g. aforementioned trolling the class with "Sleepy Joe Biden" as a user handle on their math login, etc. as there are tons of other examples) because they don't know what they are talking about and haven't earned the right to have a political opinion, which is by my design because I'm doing what I think is best for them and their long-term success and mental health.

Edited by TurkeyChew

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have cousins in Monroe, Louisiana.  Because Lousiana schools tend to be so atrocious, lots of non-denominational Christian schools have cropped up. 

Not an expert on Louisiana education, but in many places the idea after the Brown-v-Board decision was to cut funding for public schools once the "segregation academies"/Christian Schools were set up. 

Some of that same legacy shows up in the battles over "vouchers" and "charter schools" today.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

Not an expert on Louisiana education, but in many places the idea after the Brown-v-Board decision was to cut funding for public schools once the "segregation academies"/Christian Schools were set up. 

Some of that same legacy shows up in the battles over "vouchers" and "charter schools" today.

Yeah, I don't know what the fundamental reason is.  I'm sure that's part of it.  Another part is Louisiana.  I mean, look at LSU.

I knew several people from New Orleans from undergrad and law school.  They pretty much all went to Catholic schools because NO already had that infrastructure and the public schools were horrendous.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1