Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

2 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

Now I've heard it all; comparing misanthropic race baiting, hateful and half-baked "social science" written with the same verve and skill of an angry 14 year old with Pauline texts.

I would imagine that Mr. Kendi would cringe when re-reading his early writings and I'd hope he has grown as a writer and thinker. To that degree, it's unfair to judge him solely on the quoted above alone. But I see no reason to defend it, either.

Maybe one of those entities that celebrate, endorse or give Mr. Kendi awards or a platform could ask him if he still ascribes to his white hating racism?   I’m just spitballing here.   

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/22/2022 at 9:48 PM, Beau Vine said:

I had a friend my freshman year in college who was from NO.  His parents visited one weekend, and I was talking to his dad about how everyone from La. seemed to have gone to a Catholic HS.  His dad said real matter-of-factly, "In Louisiana, 'private school' is a euphemism for 'We don't want no n*ggers here.'"

Yeah, that's probably the "uniform field theory" explanation.

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

For someone who says he doesn't hate whites, it sure sounds like Mr. Kendi hate whites:

I have to set the record straight. Even though I oppose many European practices, I do not hate them. Contrary to popular belief, I don’t have this burning sensation of white hate inside my soul that is driving me to seek knowledge about my history, my present and my future.

As a matter of fact, too many blacks are driven by hate. This hate causes them to crash before they get to their destinations of insight or reform. I’m a firm believer that hate impedes your judgment and directs your mind toward notions it wouldn’t otherwise consider.

I certainly understand those blacks who have been wrapped up in a tornado of hate because they could not escape the encircling winds of truth about the destructive hand of the white man. I also understand that extracting hate from an informed black person with a high level of black consciousness would involve transcending race. But transcending race in this society is like breaking out of a glass box.

Nevertheless, other than not wanting hate to be the weed that stunts my intellectual growth, I don’t hate white folk because I’m a Christian. How can you hate a group of people for being who they are? Similarly, how can you hate a turtle because it won’t keep up? That would be like parents hating their children because they are different. All of our children aren’t the same. Europeans are completely different from Asians who are completely different from Hispanics and so on and so forth

Europeans are simply a different breed of human. They are socialized to be aggressive people. They are taught to live by the credo, “survival of the fittest.” They are raised to be racist.

Caucasians make up only 10 percent of the world’s population and that small percentage of people have recessive genes. Therefore they’re facing extinction. Whites have tried to level the playing field with the AIDS virus and cloning, but they know these deterrents will only get them so far. This is where the murder, psychological brainwashing and deception comes into play.

Europeans are trying to survive and I can’t hate them for that. However, I’m not going to just sit back and let them physically, mentally, socially, spiritually and economically destroy my people.

Although I don’t hate whites, I would still prefer to be in the field as opposed to the house.

http://www.thefamuanonline.com/2003/09/09/living-with-the-white-race/

Maybe his heart has softened since he penned these articles.

I will say that I had no idea you were quoting the linked article in your post. Sloppy.

9 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I don’t defend Paul’s texts on slavery either. I understand that his words run counter to the meaning and intention of the larger message.

Slavery was a fact of life 2000 years ago.  There weren’t really abolitionists in the first century.  Maybe you would have been the rare exception of you lived back then.  

Most people aren’t racist assholes who hate people based on their skin color in the 21st century like Kendi is.  

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Slavery was a fact of life 2000 years ago.  There weren’t really abolitionists in the first century.  Maybe you would have been the rare exception of you lived back then.  

Most people aren’t racist assholes who hate people based on their skin color in the 21st century like Kendi is.  

For a serious person of faith, you bear false witness against Dr. Kendi with relative ease.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Bless your heart.

• Haha 1

On 3/23/2022 at 4:47 AM, Thatguy said:

Yeah, you get it. I would love for you to have a conversation with some educated Black people so you can understand all the obstacles we face in the work place alone. We can't even get stern in the work place because the Angry Black Man/Woman card gets tossed on the table immediately.

Now back to your statement. My grandmother went back and got her nursing degree after my mom got hers. She died penniless. My mom was a nurse, died at 64, and was also penniless. I paid for her funeral. Neither even owned a home. My wife's grandmother(she is white) is 101. She has been giving us a check for 2-3k for Christmas every year since we've been together. This year, fearing it will be her last, she gave us 10k. My wife's parents had a house in Tahoe and one on the big island in Hawaii. Getting older they sold those houses and downsized to a 4000sq ft house in Phoenix that they paid cash for. When they die my wife will get a few million, plus the home they live in. These are three generations of college educated people on both sides. But maybe my situation is a one off?

You’re describing wage earners versus entrepreneurs. Basically capital versus labor. That has much more to do with their relative financial situations than the color of their skin. Granted, getting a loan for capital, especially a generation ago, would be much easier given skin color, but I know many entrepreneurial people of all races who have generated generational wealth as first generation college graduates and a few that never even went to college. I also know several who have lost everything due to misreading risk or just plain bad luck. The wage earner doesn’t take those risks. The problem with being a wage earner, even a skilled wage earner, is the only passive income you are likely to have is Social Security and possibly a pension.

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

You’re describing wage earners versus entrepreneurs. Basically capital versus labor. That has much more to do with their relative financial situations than the color of their skin. Granted, getting a loan for capital, especially a generation ago, would be much easier given skin color, but I know many entrepreneurial people of all races who have generated generational wealth as first generation college graduates and a few that never even went to college. I also know several who have lost everything due to misreading risk or just plain bad luck. The wage earner doesn’t take those risks. The problem with being a wage earner, even a skilled wage earner, is the only passive income you are likely to have is Social Security and possibly a pension.

You are missing the point. All 3 were wage earners until one was afforded a loan to become an entrepreneur, as well as given the cap from parents to get the loan process started. This last generation is where things are beginning to take off as more AA's are being afforded opportunities. I broke off on my own last summer and am approaching my first year this summer. My wife's grandmother had 1.5 million saved and they never owned a business. It was a lot easier for her son to take financial chances when his parents can be his safety net. Much harder decision when you have no fallback. Worse yet when you are the cash cow for the generation before you. There are a lot of layers to this.

26 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You are missing the point. All 3 were wage earners until one was afforded a loan to become an entrepreneur, as well as given the cap from parents to get the loan process started. This last generation is where things are beginning to take off as more AA's are being afforded opportunities. I broke off on my own last summer and am approaching my first year this summer. My wife's grandmother had 1.5 million saved and they never owned a business. It was a lot easier for her son to take financial chances when his parents can be his safety net. Much harder decision when you have no fallback. Worse yet when you are the cash cow for the generation before you. There are a lot of layers to this.

Your wife’s grandmother is the rarest of the rare regardless of race.  How did she amass 1.5 M without having a business? Stock market? 

ETA I’m not missing the point. Everyone should be considered on equal criteria for getting a loan.  Going forward that is getting better but we are a long way from its being there. But my familial experience, and those of the peers I grew up with, is almost identical to yours rather than your wife’s

Edited by Sawbonz

12 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Your wife’s grandmother is the rarest of the rare regardless of race.  How did she amass 1.5 M without having a business? Stock market? 

She is 101 this year. Which means she was a depression child. They had a modest home. Ate modestly. Never spent any money. Her husband worked for Cream O Wheat his entire life. They invested a little low risk, but they basically just saved every penny they made from working for 50+ years. Not hard to do in Minneapolis, as it was a pretty cheap place to live for the longest time. Back then you could work your way up from the bottom in a company, which is what he did.

22 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

ETA I’m not missing the point. Everyone should be considered on equal criteria for getting a loan.  Going forward that is getting better but we are a long way from its being there. But my familial experience, and those of the peers I grew up with, is almost identical to yours rather than your wife’s

Bottom line, most white folks I know had some help along the lines even if they didn't want to admit it. A little help with a downpayment. College tuition. First car. Car insurance. Cell bill. Even getting help getting a line of credit established goes a long way. These are things that black folks don't have due to struggling just to take care of themselves. Its finally changing. My daughter has never had to worry about anything. She has always lived in nice areas. We spent about 20k annually for vball. As such she will likely get a scholarship to play somewhere and go on to be a solid earner. I think about if she was born just a generation ago, and how she would never be able to play vball because we wouldn't be able to afford the lessons, travel, and club fees. She will be the first "silver spoon" kid born in my family. Meanwhile my wife will be on generation 3. All of that started with a guy who was allowed advancement at his job and , who had a son who was able to get a loan to develop his property. Neither of those were happening for black people circa 1955-1980 when this went down.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Bottom line, most white folks I know had some help along the lines even if they didn't want to admit it. A little help with a downpayment.

Sounds like most of the white folks you know are solidly middle to upper  middle class. If you met them in college or in the professional world that stands to reason. The ones I grew up with and I did not share that experience. 

I’m glad you are able to give your daughter a head start in life, as I am able to do for my children. Sometimes they leave me speechless though at the things they take for granted

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

She is 101 this year. Which means she was a depression child. They had a modest home. Ate modestly. Never spent any money. Her husband worked for Cream O Wheat his entire life. They invested a little low risk, but they basically just saved every penny they made from working for 50+ years. Not hard to do in Minneapolis, as it was a pretty cheap place to live for the longest time. Back then you could work your way up from the bottom in a company, which is what he did.

Bottom line, most white folks I know had some help along the lines even if they didn't want to admit it. A little help with a downpayment. College tuition. First car. Car insurance. Cell bill. Even getting help getting a line of credit established goes a long way. These are things that black folks don't have due to struggling just to take care of themselves. Its finally changing. My daughter has never had to worry about anything. She has always lived in nice areas. We spent about 20k annually for vball. As such she will likely get a scholarship to play somewhere and go on to be a solid earner. I think about if she was born just a generation ago, and how she would never be able to play vball because we wouldn't be able to afford the lessons, travel, and club fees. She will be the first "silver spoon" kid born in my family. Meanwhile my wife will be on generation 3. All of that started with a guy who was allowed advancement at his job and , who had a son who was able to get a loan to develop his property. Neither of those were happening for black people circa 1955-1980 when this went down.

Yeah, my parents were about that age and saved that much.  Pretty much pure savings and some luck in home purchases.  They did have their college paid for.

Their main advantage was post-war America, and, as you point out, blacks were essentially excluded from that.

I made more in my first year as a lawdog than my Dad ever did.  And that was before starting salaries entered the stratosphere.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Seriously?  My dad was a lifetime college prof, never made more than $43K in one year -- mom eventually worked up to about $30K per year as a schoolteacher -- and when they died they had $1.3M.

It's called "certificates of deposit" along with a few mutual funds.  Interest rates were higher back in the day.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Seriously?  My dad was a lifetime college prof, never made more than $43K in one year -- mom eventually worked up to about $30K per year as a schoolteacher -- and when they died they had $1.3M.

It's called "certificates of deposit" along with a few mutual funds.  Interest rates were higher back in the day.

Pretty close to same story here.  Dad made a little more, Mom didn't work after I came along.  My going to UT saved them a shitpile of money because they thought SMU was kind of normal tuition.

My Mom and many of her friends looooved CDs.  They were lost when rates neared zero.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

My Dad was terrified by CDs until I started to become a little financially aware as a middle schooler.  I told him he could get a higher return than savings if he would just commit to a longer window of investment.  He was really skeptical, went to his bank, found out they were secure, and started dumping his money there.  A couple of decades later he told me I saved his ass, which was gratifying.  Then again, he saved my ass, as I went to undergrad and grad school on the ~ $50K he had saved for me.  I had basic jobs along the way, but nothing that interfered with school any more than more beer would have.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, my parents were about that age and saved that much.  Pretty much pure savings and some luck in home purchases.  They did have their college paid for.

Their main advantage was post-war America, and, as you point out, blacks were essentially excluded from that.

I made more in my first year as a lawdog than my Dad ever did.  And that was before starting salaries entered the stratosphere.

I had a great uncle, my granddad’s brother, he was a lifetime career army doctor (radiologist). His parents had no means and passed him and my granddad no inheritance as my great-grandma lived to 98 and that’s expensive with care requirements.  

He lived modestly, never had kids, invested in the market starting in the 50s, and died with around $20 million net worth at age 90.  He only finally started spending a bit the last 5 years of his life.  

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Sounds like most of the white folks you know are solidly middle to upper  middle class. If you met them in college or in the professional world that stands to reason. The ones I grew up with and I did not share that experience. 

I’m glad you are able to give your daughter a head start in life, as I am able to do for my children. Sometimes they leave me speechless though at the things they take for granted

This right here. The things my daughter says just blow my mind. She has no clue how she has it.

As far as the head start goes, I am a bit conflicted. My daughter is a bit entitled. I wish she wasn't like that, but the only way not to be is to grow up like I did and no one wants that. I have been working hard to make her understand what work is by giving her little chores around the house, as well as teaching her to build things.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Racism is evil.  No matter who is doing it.  

It's not evil except perhaps in the context of sin or immorality. It's largely human nature, but can be overcome.  it's a highly undesirable trait, though, obviously. 

But, to overcome it, you have to acknowledge it.  And that means you have to take an unflinching look at it.

Now, what you do with racism, that is, whether you try to eliminate it or minimize it, or whether you enact laws that take it from an immoral personal viewpoint to a regime of oppression, well, that gets into evil.

I'm not huge on the notion that "racism without power isn't racism."  Yes it is.  And it's bad.  But without the power, it can't become evil.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

This right here. The things my daughter says just blow my mind. She has no clue how she has it.

As far as the head start goes, I am a bit conflicted. My daughter is a bit entitled. I wish she wasn't like that, but the only way not to be is to grow up like I did and no one wants that. I have been working hard to make her understand what work is by giving her little chores around the house, as well as teaching her to build things.

It's a challenge for all of us.  It's good that you're aware of it and try to do something about it.  Humans have this weird tendency in self-evaluation to look laterally and vertically upward and rarely vertically downward.  And when we do look vertically downward, it seems to be full of pity and judgment, but with minimal actual understanding.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Stats are stats. Given those stats, a black person claiming whites are a violent race makes him look stupid.  

Only to you. Other people understand that there are different kinds of violence. There is one on one violence. Then there are people who try to subjugate the world which leads to 80 million deaths. There is the carjacker, and there is the guy is responsible for thousands of deaths and a trillion dollars worth of damage in Ukraine right now. Inner city police officers before cell phones are in there too. So is the guy who drug a guy behind his truck in East Texas. Violence is everywhere and it comes in cycles. Right now in America we seem to be leading the charge due to socioeconomic levels. However, lest we forget over the course of history in this country we are a small % of the violent acts committed. A mere generation or so vs half a millennia.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's not evil except perhaps in the context of sin or immorality. It's largely human nature, but can be overcome.  it's a highly undesirable trait, though, obviously. 

But, to overcome it, you have to acknowledge it.  And that means you have to take an unflinching look at it.

Now, what you do with racism, that is, whether you try to eliminate it or minimize it, or whether you enact laws that take it from an immoral personal viewpoint to a regime of oppression, well, that gets into evil.

I'm not huge on the notion that "racism without power isn't racism."  Yes it is.  And it's bad.  But without the power, it can't become evil.

Tribalism is human nature but racism is something that is really only about 500 to 600 years old.  Racial groups didn't view themselves as a collective until the concept of race was invented. Even when different racial groups initially began to come into contact with one another it didn't suddenly cause them to disregard their tribal differences with tribes or ethnicities of their same race and suddenly have affinity for one another.  

30 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Even if you did believe that, why would allow yourself to be used like that? You have to be smart enough to realize why they want you there.

Well, you're obviously aware of all the money and career opportunities that exist for black people who play the part, so awful white people can point to them and say, "See! Even they agree with me!"

Though, in Herschel's case, it's probably not an act.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I was the first person in my family to graduate high school. Forgive me if my folks weren’t in on that

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Well, you're obviously aware of all the money and career opportunities that exist for black people who play the part, so awful white people can point to them and say, "See! Even they agree with me!"

Though, in Herschel's case, it's probably not an act.

Yeah. I don't think its an act with Hershel. Black folks have a phrase for people like that, and its about the worst thing you can be called in the black community. You never let them make an example out of you or of you for their interests. That's a community staple.

I'm right there with you. Best thing I did was 2 years ago (Spring Break before everything shut down), I took my then 14 yo son took Guadalupe Mountain NP. I told him the point was to get to the tallest point in Texas, but it was actually to have some uninterrupted time with him (cell phone service is nonexistant). Had 10 hours to talk about anything and everything. Got to tell him how happy I was with the way he was growing up, but I also got to share how different it was for me. Something about the combination of being away from everything and being tired from the hike made it resonant with him. Sometimes he still forgets how good he has it, but that day was a total win for dad.

Plus we got a great hike with a great view. Top 5 day.604ff2df06927c374a6582dda851d263.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4

42 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

No one said it isn't. But throughout American history one form of racism has been much destructive than the other. Guess which one.

We are all aware of the past and present racism of the Democratic party.  It should be cancelled.  

• Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

We are all aware of the past and present racism of the Democratic party.  It should be cancelled.  

Oh hey, racist @Johnny Sack ignores the Southern Strategy for the 100th time... tell him what he's won. 

It's disgusting that an overt racist is encouraged to post here. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Oh, just shut up, you disingenuous blowhard.  I don't know whether it would be worse if you know what you're saying isn't true or if you don't, but in either case, you need to run along and seriously reconsider your life choices, because you're a fundamentally bad person.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, just shut up, you disingenuous blowhard.  I don't know whether it would be worse if you know what you're saying isn't true or if you don't, but in either case, you need to run along and seriously reconsider your life choices, because you're a fundamentally bad person.

Got it.  Need to improve myself and be like you.  You seem like a great guy we should all emulate.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The south was controlled by democrats until the mid 90s. Republicans took over when racist democrats died off.     

You're a lying fucking racist asshole. Here's Lee Atwater in 1981...

Atwater: As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry Dent and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now [Reagan] doesn't have to do that. All you have to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues he's campaigned on since 1964 [...] and that's fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster...

Questioner: But the fact is, isn't it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps?

Atwater: Y'all don't quote me on this. You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger."

• Like 2