Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

On 5/18/2022 at 9:10 PM, Satchel said:

I think UTSA will be the only degree granting institution at the undergraduate level.

That's definitely not true. I knew several people who majored in African American Studies at UT when I was in undergrad during the mid to late 90s. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I only learned about Tulsa several years ago. I also just recently learned about the 1898 Wilmington Massacre.

https://time.com/5861644/1898-wilmington-massacre-essential-lesson-state-violence/

One of the drawbacks of the recent focus on the Tulsa massacre is that the attention put on it leads people to believe it was a unique or rare occurrence, both with respect to the success of black folks at that time and the resulting riots brought on by white resentment. That shit happened numerous times all over pre depression era America. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I could be wrong, but I don’t think so: https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/blackstudies/

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/conference-celebrates-50-years-of-black-studies-at-ut-with-eye-toward-programs-future/

The University of Texas at Austin is celebrating the 50th anniversary of its Black Studies program this week with a conference called “Black Studies @50: 1968/1969.” Since then, the program has become the largest of its kind in the country in terms of faculty, and is home to a unique collection of academics, cultural programming, arts and public policy research. It was the first program of its kind in the American South to offer a doctoral degree.

Dr. Jennifer Wilks is an associate professor of English who specializes in African-American literature and African diaspora studies. She’s also chair of this week’s conference. Wilks says the origin of black studies programs coincided with student protests against the Vietnam War and their organizing around other social-justice issues in the late 1960s.

“Young people on college and university campuses started demanding that administrators diversify their curricula, diversify their faculty, and it’s out of these movements that black studies programs emerged,” Wilks says.

What you’ll hear in this segment:

– How universities responded to student demands in the late 1960s

– How black studies programs at UT and other universities have evolved over the years

– How the conference is a celebration of black studies at UT, and an opportunity to shape the future of the department

Written by Caroline Covington.

The name has changed through the years, but UT began offering the major in 1969 according to the article above. 

I think the confusion on the name of the department is due to renaming it after Dr. Paul Warfield in 2008 or 2009

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

@Catdaddyhorn Thank you for posting that. For the last few weeks I've had a reoccurring question I couldn't quite make sense of which is how it came to be that black people in Texas didn't hear they were free until 2 years later after the emancipation proclamation. How could that be? 2 full years, even hand written notes across the the Atlantic and muled to the Far East would take shorter time than that. The explanation of Confederate controlled Galveston in those tweets helped and also I guess the way we are being taught Juneteenth can't be literally accurate, as in surely they heard about the EP and slaves being freed, they just didn't get have it applied to their locale until 2 years later. 

Edit: I can’t delete the tweets. Sorry for not realizing thus had been posted. I learned a ton of things I did not know about Texas history, but I learned that hustory at a Jesuit high school and at UT Austin, so…

Edited by Willfully Horn
I’m an idiot
  • Fuck You 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 5:38 PM, tchookem said:

So wouldn't the founders' opposition to slavery (they know it's wrong) juxtaposed with their reliance on slavery (they did it anyway) mean they were awful people?

Or is that too much critical thinking?

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a slave is a good guy with a slave?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Pancho said:

They still have no idea what CRT is, so much so that they are now saying this:

As I’ve said many times before, right-wingers are not in the slightest bit interested in having schools teach American history. What they want is for schools to teach American mythology and call it “history.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

As I’ve said many times before, right-wingers are not in the slightest bit interested in having schools teach American history. What they want is for schools to teach American mythology and call it “history.”

The benevolent narrative of “western civilization” is crumbling.

There is also a religious aspect to this as the Church has always wanted to preserve their biblical version of human history. 

With the democratization of the Internet and the freer flow of ideas, many of the assumptions society and government are based around are being increasingly challenged.

It’s almost like we’re going through the fallout of the invention of the printing press and the subsequent chaos that ensued. 

Yay! 

• 2 weeks later...

leslie-nielsen-nothing-to-see-here.gif

https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-students-dont-learn-critical-race-theory-why-do-teachers-pacific-educational-group-school-board-administrators-students-class-11662150413

The parent of a high schooler in the district, he wanted to see the materials used to train teachers. Mr. Auslander, 54, made a formal document request but was denied. Officials told him the materials couldn’t be shared because they were protected by Pacific Educational Group’s copyright. His only option was to inspect them in person—no copies or photos allowed. “What are you trying to hide?” he asked school board members at a meeting in December.

Mr. Auslander accepted the district’s offer and in February went to inspect the documents in person. When he tried to record voice memos on his phone about what he was reading a district official called it a copyright violation. According to a subsequent complaint filed by Mr. Auslander in federal court, the official threatened him “with civil and criminal liability” if he kept recording. The official then ended the meeting.

Documents emailed from 2019 to 2021 by Pacific Educational Group to district administrators in advance of various training seminars cite critical race theory explicitly. A rubric dated Feb. 4, 2020, encourages participants to “Deconstruct the Presence and role of Whiteness” in their lives. A March 17, 2020, presentation lists “aspects and assumptions of white culture” in the U.S. Some are negative, such as “win at all costs,” “wealth = worth,” “don’t show emotion,” and in reference to food, “bland is best.” Others are seemingly universal principles such as “cause-and-effect relationships,” “objective, rational, linear thinking,” and “plan for future.”

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-students-dont-learn-critical-race-theory-why-do-teachers-pacific-educational-group-school-board-administrators-students-class-11662150413

The parent of a high schooler in the district, he wanted to see the materials used to train teachers. Mr. Auslander, 54, made a formal document request but was denied. Officials told him the materials couldn’t be shared because they were protected by Pacific Educational Group’s copyright. His only option was to inspect them in person—no copies or photos allowed. “What are you trying to hide?” he asked school board members at a meeting in December.

Mr. Auslander accepted the district’s offer and in February went to inspect the documents in person. When he tried to record voice memos on his phone about what he was reading a district official called it a copyright violation. According to a subsequent complaint filed by Mr. Auslander in federal court, the official threatened him “with civil and criminal liability” if he kept recording. The official then ended the meeting.

Documents emailed from 2019 to 2021 by Pacific Educational Group to district administrators in advance of various training seminars cite critical race theory explicitly. A rubric dated Feb. 4, 2020, encourages participants to “Deconstruct the Presence and role of Whiteness” in their lives. A March 17, 2020, presentation lists “aspects and assumptions of white culture” in the U.S. Some are negative, such as “win at all costs,” “wealth = worth,” “don’t show emotion,” and in reference to food, “bland is best.” Others are seemingly universal principles such as “cause-and-effect relationships,” “objective, rational, linear thinking,” and “plan for future.”

I wonder who's more stupid: you or the person who wrote that article?  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Incredulity said:

You people still have no idea what Critical Race Theory is, do you?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/30/2022 at 9:55 AM, Pancho said:

Another person who has no idea what Critical Race Theory is will be preaching about it soon.  You can’t make this shit up

Really need their tax exemption yanked.  First sort of mainline denomination (given their congregational nature, I have never really considered Baptists mainline Protestants) I've seen doing this.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

I wonder who's more stupid: you or the person who wrote that article?  

Seems super-odd that a teacher type would get all wound up about copyright infringement.  Assuming any of that is true.

But the bolded, my word the horror.

Also, lmao @ "bland is best."  Da fuq.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Seems super-odd that a teacher type would get all wound up about copyright infringement.  Assuming any of that is true.
But the bolded, my word the horror.
Also, lmao @ "bland is best."  Da fuq.
It's an open records issue. The same thing would be true in Texas depending on the type of license the state entity has. Generally you can't just use an open records request to obtain copies of a third party's copyrighted work held by the state. You just get to view the copies. That's what they did here.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

"I'm just very fearful that there are going to be children that are made to feel bad of who they are because they're not part of what other children are."

Well, at least she understands DEI.  I mean, except for the fact that she has it completely backwards.  How do you think minority, non-straight, non-cis kids have felt forever, Liberty Barbie?

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

"I'm just very fearful that there are going to be children that are made to feel bad of who they are because they're not part of what other children are."

Well, at least she understands DEI.  I mean, except for the fact that she has it completely backwards.  How do you think minority, non-straight, non-cis kids have felt forever, Liberty Barbie?

When you're sufficiently privileged, equality certainly may feel like oppression 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

When my son was in 1st grade and the teacher told the students that Martin Luther King Jr. got assassinated, one of the few African-American students burst into tears. But do go on, DEI/CRT snowflakes, about how white kids feel so fucking bad from learning the facts about our history.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Get your shit together aggie …

I hate that I'm curious about what Texags has to say about this whole episode. I think it would answer every question with a distilled clarity that we'd never get from the university president.