San Antonio Spurs 2021 Offseason Thread -- Wandering the Desert

Patrick Bateman

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Primo seems like a huge reach... 🤔

Found a mock at 28...

Add ESPN's draft analyst Jonathan Givony as a member of the 'Primo to Philly' club, as he mocked the young Alabama guard to the Sixers with the 28th pick

"The Sixers will be looking to surround their core with as much 3-point shooting as possible after a disappointing playoff exit. Primo, the youngest player in the draft, might need some time before becoming a consistent contributor, but he has helped himself with a strong pre-draft process and is a candidate to come off the board around this range or earlier to a team trading up to select him."

Laughable. There were 3 talented big available and the Spurs selected an 18 year old SG that won't sniff an NBA court for 2-3 years and would've been available in the 2nd round to boot.

Edited by Chad

After having a few minutes to mull it over, I'm even more pissed. Last year they passed on Halliburton when he was a no brainer. And I actually like Vassell, but they over thought it. Same shit this year. Sengun was there. Moody was there. Kai Jones was there. Keon Johnson was still there. Kispert was still there. 

Hope to hell I'm wrong and he turns out to be a stud but in the meantime that's got to be curtains for Lonnie. And how does he fit with Dejounte and White? Like that roster could be any more unbalanced.

Highest draft pick since Timmy and this is how they roll. We're the least talented team in the league and that certainly didn't change tonight. For the record, nothing would make me happier than someone bumping this in a couple of years to show what an idiot I am but I really think they shit the bed tonight. 

Does anybody still have faith in this front office? They got fleeced in the Kawhi trade, got nothing for Aldridge, and will almost certainly get nothing for Derozan -- or worse, will re-sign him to a terrible contract.  Samanic looks much closer to being a bust than even a replacement level player. I think they just got lucky with Keldon but his ceiling is probably being the third banana on a playoff team. They've made zero creative moves to generate more talent/picks. And now they reach hard for Primo, who for all intents seems like a really good kid, but if you are going to swing for the fences I would imagine you would do it with someone who has a more athletic upside.

And let's not even talk about their complete lack of vision and franchise direction post-Kawhi. They have had one foot in, and one foot out on this rebuild for way too long. At this point, the decision has been made for them.

For as much talent as they've lost on the court, look how much they've lost off the court. There are more former Spurs coaches on other teams than I can count, and I don't even know how many more front office guys they've lost. This shit is bad and it's going to get much, much worse before it gets better.

• Rage+1 1

I do have a disagreement on the Luka point that Mitch made. When he got playing time, he looked comfortable and was playing some of the best defense on the team. Then Pop did his dickhead benching and played fucking Rudy Gay the remainder of the season. He’s only a bust because they refuse to play him. Otherwise he’s looked okay with some growing pains, which is to be expected because he’s a young player. 

On 7/28/2021 at 9:24 PM, Hate said:

Damn...I miss that guy.  Manu's dunk in Game 5 of the '14 Finals may be my most favorite highlight in franchise history.  It's neck and neck with the Memorial Day Miracle. 

Was fortunate to have been invited to watch in someone's box at that game. Just before that, the game was very much in question. Friend says, "What do you think?" I say,"Depends if we get Good Manu or Bad Manu."  Couple minutes later, Manu Dunk and we are jumping around shouting, "Good Manu! Good Manu!" Good times. Also watched the fourth quarter standing by the wall and could seeing the next box. Gary Payton was standing right next to me with his sour mean disappointment mug on. It was beautiful. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tigersnake said:

Was fortunate to have been invited to watch in someone's box at that game. Just before that, the game was very much in question. Friend says, "What do you think?" I say,"Depends if we get Good Manu or Bad Manu."  Couple minutes later, Manu Dunk and we are jumping around shouting, "Good Manu! Good Manu!" Good times. Also watched the fourth quarter standing by the wall and could seeing the next box. Gary Payton was standing right next to me with his sour mean disappointment mug on. It was beautiful. 

You humble-bragging motherfucker.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/30/2021 at 12:11 PM, Kermit said:

I do have a disagreement on the Luka point that Mitch made. When he got playing time, he looked comfortable and was playing some of the best defense on the team. Then Pop did his dickhead benching and played fucking Rudy Gay the remainder of the season. He’s only a bust because they refuse to play him. Otherwise he’s looked okay with some growing pains, which is to be expected because he’s a young player. 

That's fair. He did have a few games, and especially what he did defensively against Julius Randle, where you could see the potential. Still, they passed up Brandon Clark, Matisse Thybull, Grant Williams and a few other guys who have been demonstrably better so far. I'm not ready to give up on him, but when I watch him play I don't get the feeling that he's ever going to be anything more than a role player off the bench. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That's fair. He did have a few games, and especially what he did defensively against Julius Randle, where you could see the potential. Still, they passed up Brandon Clark, Matisse Thybull, Grant Williams and a few other guys who have been demonstrably better so far. I'm not ready to give up on him, but when I watch him play I don't get the feeling that he's ever going to be anything more than a role player off the bench. 

I totally stole this from LJ Ellis, but it describes the Spurs fan draft experience so eloquently. I’m at stage four with Luka.

Spurs Draft Pick Life Cycle

1. OMG! WTF! That was a terrible pick. Pop and all his minions need to be fired. There were so many better players on the board!
2. Hmmm ... you know what, I actually kinda like the pick! 
3. I can't believe Pop isn't playing the pick! Pop is ruining the best young player on the roster! Like I said from the beginning, this pick is a special player.
4. Wow. This player is so much better than everyone else in the rotation he's competing against. 
5. I'm so glad the Spurs drafted the player I wanted.
6. Eh, he's pretty good but the new youngsters deserve his minutes now.
7. OMG! WTF! Why won't Pop stop playing his pets? This guy sucks and always sucked. I don't even know why the Spurs drafted him.

14 hours ago, Kermit said:

They could say no? Let’s play the young dudes, have a shitty record, and have a high draft pick! Who knows, maybe we draft Chet (if he’s still the consensus #1), or suck again the next year and draft the French dude.

Oubre is 25.  Two years ago with Phoenix, he looked like he was starting to get it and put it together but then had a really disappointing season for the Warriors.  He's an inefficient shooter who has a lot of physical tools and could eventually turn into a decent wing player but in no way should the Spurs break the bank for him.  They'd really have to work with him on his shot and shot selection but the Spurs are going to lose a lot of minutes between Mills, Demar, and Rudy and all of those can't or shouldn't be soaked up by the all under 6'5" players.  It's really hard to know what to do with this team and franchise because they're so mismanaged.  I assume the starting lineup would look something like this if we had to play today.

Murray, White, Lonnie, Keldon, Jakob.  

That's tiny.  I guess you could move Lonnie or White the bench and put in Luka but still..... bleh.  Need some more length on the wing.  Not sure Oubre's the answer.  I doubt it, but at least he has an interesting skill set.  He wasn't really on my radar.

This may make some sense.  He can score and can shoot from the perimeter but the cost would be pretty darn high and I'm not a huge fan of big guys who aren't good rebounders.  After his 2nd year, it looked like he was going to launch into star status but he sort of puttered out because of injury and because Chicago is a terrible franchise.  Depends on cost, but I'm going to guess his offer sheet would towards a max.

So last night, there was a Bleacher Report rumor that said Demar would be willing to go to the Lakers at a huge discount and Lakers fans were fellating themselves.  I don't think players really do that in Demar's circumstance.  Demar in 3-4 years?  Sure, but he still has one nice sized contract in him and while he would probably forgo a little money to get to LA, the mid-level would be shocking.

On 7/30/2021 at 10:39 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Does anybody still have faith in this front office? They got fleeced in the Kawhi trade, got nothing for Aldridge, and will almost certainly get nothing for Derozan -- or worse, will re-sign him to a terrible contract.  Samanic looks much closer to being a bust than even a replacement level player. I think they just got lucky with Keldon but his ceiling is probably being the third banana on a playoff team. They've made zero creative moves to generate more talent/picks. And now they reach hard for Primo, who for all intents seems like a really good kid, but if you are going to swing for the fences I would imagine you would do it with someone who has a more athletic upside.

And let's not even talk about their complete lack of vision and franchise direction post-Kawhi. They have had one foot in, and one foot out on this rebuild for way too long. At this point, the decision has been made for them.

For as much talent as they've lost on the court, look how much they've lost off the court. There are more former Spurs coaches on other teams than I can count, and I don't even know how many more front office guys they've lost. This shit is bad and it's going to get much, much worse before it gets better.

Primo that early in the 1st Rd is ridiculous.  Trade back if he's your guy...

DON'T bring DeRozan back Spurs!! 

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, Tigersnake said:

Joe Wieskamp, I think was a great pick at 41.  46 percent 3-point shooter in college with a 42 vert and a good shuttle time, I'll take it. 

Agreed.  For the 2nd round, he has the look of a contributing bench shooter in a few years.  Wish he was 3 inches taller but he probably would have been a first rounder then.  He's not much of a defender but if you can get a bench shooter at 41, then it's a huge win.

I read we may be interested in this Collins too as a stretch 4.  He has to become a better rebounder but if he's cheap he could have a role.

• Hook 'Em 1

Great, but if Precious is involved in the Lowry package, they really only have Duncan Robinson, who the Spurs like but wouldn't satisfy the money and the Heat really want to hold onto him.  Could be a 3 way using Iggy's contract, I guess?  Iggy really wants to get back to GSW and the Warriors really want him back.  Something like:

Heat get:  Demar, Gay

GSW gets:  Iggy, Miami 1st, Nunn

Spurs get:  Robinson, Oubre

That's a shit load of S&T's and not sure how much other filler would have to go in.  Does Gay want to go to Miami?  Seems far fetched but it'd be hard to see something else working.

• Like 1

Iggy can sign a vet minimum deal with the Warriors with no impact on the cap. I don't see him commanding much more than that. And Oubre could be signed into cap space by the spurs, right? 

Beyond that, it would be the most spurs thing ever for them to get a role playing vet with a well known ceiling out of their sign and trade while Toronto gets a promising young prospect like Precious with unknown potential. 

They need to find a way to take Wiggins contract off the Warriors hands and get one of their prospects (or somebody else's) and picks for it. But we all know how this movie ends. 

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Iggy can sign a vet minimum deal with the Warriors with no impact on the cap. I don't see him commanding much more than that. And Oubre could be signed into cap space by the spurs, right? 

Beyond that, it would be the most spurs thing ever for them to get a role playing vet with a well known ceiling out of their sign and trade while Toronto gets a promising young prospect like Precious with unknown potential. 

They need to find a way to take Wiggins contract off the Warriors hands and get one of their prospects (or somebody else's) and picks for it. But we all know how this movie ends. 

Iggy can and may, but I'm sure he'd like more than the vet minimum and if it works for allowing everyone to get the applicable salary off their books and into their cap, then if he's cool with 8-9 million then it may make sense for everyone involved.  The issue is DeMar would have to want to play for 14-16m and I really doubt that's something he wants to do.  Miami is known to like both soon to be ex-Spurs but they just don't have much capital to trade.  Precious.  Duncan Robinson.  Herro (overrated IMO).  That's about it.  We don't need a Dunn and they've given away a lot of picks although still own their 2022 first (Houston has the right to swap).

On 7/31/2021 at 5:59 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Why not...... I give up.  I have no idea what the game plan for this franchise is, and I don't think they do either.....

Yeah it's barely worth it even trying to follow wtf is going on. 

I mean our fucking GM is in Tokyo right now coaching a different team. 

I expect we keep DeMar and add some garbage that doesn't get us any closer to where we want to be.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This is the type of straight forward deal which makes tons of sense...... except Chicago's not really that close and worse than the Spurs so why does Demar want to go there??

I guess Lauri still has some upside. Not that he's a bad player. Main issue might be his ability to stay healthy. 

Half expect us to do something like sign DD to a long term deal and then have the trade fall through and we get stuck with him.