Jonathan Tjarks Cancer

Wulaw Horn

I know lots of y’all read him. I mentioned some time ago that he was actually one of us and a couple people were surprised. He wrote for Barking carnival and posted on the Shag before his break with the Ringer. 
33 years old, newly married and with a 1 year old kid- and his cancer type sounds like a real son of a bitch. 
This is a place with a big heart. I’d like to help him personally and maybe see if we can collectively help him as well. 
I was thinking about donating to his family for financial help (bc what the fuck else are you going to do for a stranger). 
I will match any donation pledged here for the next week up to $1000. What say you sure,  let’s do something good for a good dude that was once a part of our community?  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I know lots of y’all read him. I mentioned some time ago that he was actually one of us and a couple people were surprised. He wrote for Barking carnival and posted on the Shag before his break with the Ringer. 
33 years old, newly married and with a 1 year old kid- and his cancer type sounds like a real son of a bitch. 
This is a place with a big heart. I’d like to help him personally and maybe see if we can collectively help him as well. 
I was thinking about donating to his family for financial help (bc what the fuck else are you going to do for a stranger). 
I will match any donation pledged here for the next week up to $1000. What say you sure,  let’s do something good for a good dude that was once a part of our community?  

I didn't realize that he was one of us.  Been a big fan of his on the ringer and listen to podcast.  Heard about his cancer diagnosis just recently when The Ringer hired Wos. Godspeed to him.  

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Venmo is @mktjarks. 

article on his journey with cancer. 

https://www.theringer.com/2021/5/20/22444532/long-night-of-the-soul

So sorry to hear about his diagnosis. i will contribute.  I am a man of faith and as someone  who has recently fought cancer, i am praying for healing and comfort ay for him and his family

• Hook 'Em 4

34 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I didn't realize that he was one of us.  Been a big fan of his on the ringer and listen to podcast.  Heard about his cancer diagnosis just recently when The Ringer hired Wos. Godspeed to him.  

He either posted on the old site or someone was using his name, and it’s an unusual name so I think that’s pretty unlikely. I think he dropped the message board thing when he went mainstream.  Gonna give this one some thought tonight.  I normally drop a token amount on things like this on the theory that if everyone drops a token amount it helps.  Might do a little more here.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

He either posted on the old site or someone was using his name, and it’s an unusual name so I think that’s pretty unlikely. I think he dropped the message board thing when he went mainstream.  Gonna give this one some thought tonight.  I normally drop a token amount on things like this on the theory that if everyone drops a token amount it helps.  Might do a little more here.  

Yeah- so when he was posting on the shag it Was mostly linking to his articles on barking carnival. He was trying to develop a following to get a bigger gig as a hustle- which he obviously did betting the gig at the ringer. Also- Bryan Curtis posts here (or did at the shag) I’m almost positive. Used a pseudonym though I think. 
maybe I’m brain damaged or that’s just an urban legend. And of course @closetojumping is EJ Holland. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for starting the thread. I hope he’s feeling well enough today to watch the game. 

https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jonathantjarks

Here is his caring bridge site, it’s being updated pretty frequently for anyone who is curious to follow his battle. Also includes links with other ways to help. 

Not to derail but I’ve heard Brian Curtis mention on a podcast that he subscribes to several Horn paysites (IT & OB I’d guess). I’d bet he at least lurks around here if not post.

16 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Thanks for starting the thread. I hope he’s feeling well enough today to watch the game. 

https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jonathantjarks

Here is his caring bridge site, it’s being updated pretty frequently for anyone who is curious to follow his battle. Also includes links with other ways to help. 

Not to derail but I’ve heard Brian Curtis mention on a podcast that he subscribes to several Horn paysites (IT & OB I’d guess). I’d bet he at least lurks around here if not post.

I’m almost positive he posted for a time at shaggy. Like said by people who know. 

Reading through that blog update, it’s both good it was caught TOO too late but also scary as hell how many times it evaded initial diagnosis. Not bagging on anybody, docs included, just scary how it can go under the radar on frontline testing.

On 5/20/2021 at 10:06 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Also- Bryan Curtis posts here (or did at the shag) I’m almost positive. Used a pseudonym though I think. 
maybe I’m brain damaged or that’s just an urban legend. And of course @closetojumping is EJ Holland. 

Bryan definitely posted on shaggy once, under his name. I remember because he was one of my favorite writers on Grantland. And he may have just started The Press Box, which I still listen to every week. It has two of the best bits in podcasting - “the overworked Twitter joke of the week” and “David guesses the strained pun headline.”

Hi Bryan!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Heard him on The Mismatch yesterday.  He sounded good.  

After the Mavs game, the host said basically "let's start with Terrence Mann" and Tjarks replied are you crazy we're talking about Luka.

Didn't realize it's called The Mismatch show.  

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:
Really heartbreaking. I enjoyed his writing and he seemed like a good guy. Some guys around here probably knew him personally. 

Hook’em and Rest In Peace. 

Really knew ball. Sounded like he played a fun game and enjoyed it too.

Had a young family. Buy disability and life insurance.

First time reading this. I wasn't aware of his writing but just spent the last 15 minutes reading some of his work. Here is a powerful article with him knowing that time was short: https://www.theringer.com/2022/3/3/22956353/fatherhood-cancer-jonathan-tjarks

Sad how he recounts that his father had Parkinson's for most of his (Jonathan's) childhood and he feels that he never knew his father. He states how he wants it different for his 2-year old son. I hope he's right that his friends and family will keep him memory alive for his son. Obviously it won't replace his absence.

(Not commentary on Tjarks as I have no idea about his past.) Sometimes you just have bad luck like cancer hit you from nowhere. Other times people have opportunity to change their lifestyle or at least follow normal testing and doctor visits. If you're due for a doctor visit, get off your ass and go. If you have some bad habits, cut them out. I've always thought about the pain if you were found to have something like terminal colon cancer and the doctor tells you that a normal colonoscopy might have prevented your death at the expense of a lost day.

• Hook 'Em 1

He wasn’t a friend of mine, but he was a really good friend of a good friend of mine. 
Really great article from Ian Boyd that talks about him as a dude and demonstrates the best of what living in faith and community can look like. 

https://americaswargame.substack.com/p/the-triumph-of-jonathan-tjarks

• Hook 'Em 2

Him writing on his legacy and hopes for his son. 

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/2022/3/3/22956353/fatherhood-cancer-jonathan-tjarks

Ian’s piece is sweet and shows the best of what friendship can be. Tjarks 2 pieces are so brave and profound. I wish we could have see a miracle here on earth and 50 more years of awesomeness how he was going to live his life.

I think/hope the faith that Tjarks and I share is true and that someday I will be able to meet him on the other side where there is no more pain and tears. 

• Hook 'Em 3