Hip-hop / Rap that you're listening to

ztejas

We need this thread. I know there are plenty on Surly that listen to current hip-hop so maybe we could share what we like here. Maybe without fear of being judged?

Come Let Me Love You GIF

If you don't like shit posted here or don't listen to this genre then fuck off - there are plenty of other threads. Or if this doesn't gain traction then fuck it I tried. 

I'll start with my favorite track off the new J. Cole album which I'm having to debate as potentially my favorite Cole track ever -

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

• ztejas changed the title to Hip-hop / Rap that you're listening to

Hah was thinking about this today.

Last week I was listening to the new Kid Cudi album and decided to go down a rabbit hole. Had been meaning to listen to Chance after seeing him on SNL and really really like his stuff. My brother gave me some recs from there and I tried ASAP (a bit angry for me) and Tyler (liked him). Right now I'm going through Childish Gambino's discography.

• Hook 'Em 1

Glad this is gaining traction. Here is my very hard playlist of stuff thats come out in maybe the last 18 months. A lot of it is the opposite of safe and accessible but some here might like it. 

Some of my last few adds.

But I'm pretty much hooked on melodic trap shit from Memphis and Atlanta and drill/trap out of Chicago and it's about as accessible as death metal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

Kinds funny the baddest rapper alive is a Canadian who wont cuss in his bars and loves America more than most Americans.

This goes out to all the coronabros, lockdown enthusiasts, and maskholes.

Hadn’t heard that song yet. Holy shit it sucks. His flow/cadence has always been kind of choppy but he’s made it work well in other songs. I remember he had some good songs back when he was first coming out 3 years ago about his battles with addiction and the issues he saw in the music industry. Then he quickly found out people ate up the white victimhood trope and he hasn’t really grown past that since. 

2 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

Female rappers are absolutely crushing it these days.

Megan is repping Texas so well. Beyonce 2.0. I love Dej Loaf too. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Hadn’t heard that song yet. Holy shit it sucks. His flow/cadence has always been kind of choppy but he’s made it work well in other songs. I remember he had some good songs back when he was first coming out 3 years ago about his battles with addiction and the issues he saw in the music industry. Then he quickly found out people ate up the white victimhood trope and he hasn’t really grown past that since. 

Thanks for listening for me. I saw Canadian and no cussing and was instantly suspicious. 

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Thanks for listening for me. I saw Canadian and no cussing and was instantly suspicious. 

I wouldn’t say I was ever a huge “fan” of his but I did think some of his early stuff was good. His first songs sucked but he really hit a groove there for a bit. I don’t think he’s a terrible rapper. Then every song became a one-sided political lecture with cheesy hooks and he just wasn’t my taste anymore. I may or may not just be salty for telling my friends he was going to be the next Hopsin a couple years ago. Now they don’t really take my music recs as serious /rant

Ditto what others have said on here about female rappers. Doja cat had that really shitty cow song & “Tia Tamara” but this is nothing short of a banger imo

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

I wouldn’t say I was ever a huge “fan” of his but I did think some of his early stuff was good. His first songs sucked but he really hit a groove there for a bit. I don’t think he’s a terrible rapper. Then every song became a one-sided political lecture with cheesy hooks and he just wasn’t my taste anymore. I may or may not just be salty for telling my friends he was going to be the next Hopsin a couple years ago. Now they don’t really take my music recs as serious /rant

Sounds like Macklemore. Who I'd be fine if I never heard a song from again.

And if you can’t tell I’m pretty into the fledgling SA rap scene. It’s not big enough to have a unique style, mostly guys just trying to mimic other cities (primarily Houston) but there is some talent here. Most of it is in the trap department, fritogang excepted. Hoodlum has some good songs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

Female rappers are absolutely crushing it these days.

for me Lauryn Hill will always be the GOAT because her lyrical content is unmatched and her catalog is more extensive than most realize. that said, yes, female rappers have now broken the glass ceiling, and there is some real talent out there. 

also, shouts out to Gangsta Boo, Foxxy Brown, Mia X, Thug Queen, the chicks from Crime Mobb, and all the other female rappers who were able to break through 15-20 years ago when that was an extremely difficult feat to accomplish. 

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

These guys are a local San Antonio group. I met a few of them at the bar before a show at the Korova (RIP) probably 2 years ago. Super, super chill dudes. 

These guys are trying too hard. Pass. But cool you're hanging out with them. Just don't find them particularly talented - certainly less talented than I am. 

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

And if you can’t tell I’m pretty into the fledgling SA rap scene. It’s not big enough to have a unique style, mostly guys just trying to mimic other cities (primarily Houston) but there is some talent here. Most of it is in the trap department, fritogang excepted. Hoodlum has some good songs.

Now this... this shit is hot. I'm actually getting emotional because one of the coolest mfers I went to high school with got shot and killed in San Antonio at 19 in a drug deal gone bad. More of that, less of the former - I could recreate the former in my sleep.

On 6/17/2021 at 11:00 PM, Helobious said:

Digging Tyler’s new stuff. I remember 2009-early 2010s when Kid Cudi, Tyler, Earl, hopsin, ASAP were all in their primes. Great days. 

That song is great. I caught it on my last "New Releases" update. Most of his stuff is great, though. 

Some new shit from Kodak that I like (he's a genius in my book, mileage may vary)

Edited by ztejas

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was doing overhead presses in the gym the other day (albeit with very little weight), but I heard this bumping in the gym speakers. Admittedly, I know very little about Kansas City rap outside of some Tech N9ne.

Also, for more seasoned listeners of rap, E-40 and B-Legit are biological cousins. I did not know that. Both of them had decent flows on the track.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 1

I didn't realize this thread exists, so I am posting this track in here because I think it deserves to win Rap Song of the Year. Fuck DJ Khaled, he did absolutely nothing on the song. The producer is named Tay-Keith and I had no fucking clue Lil' Baby could rap on such a dark, tortured soul type of beat. I wouldn't mind hearing a Baby and Durk collaboration album if they can bring this type of energy.

Focus like Bill in Sinton and tell me this instrumental ain't deep and bangin'

• Hook 'Em 1

Again, didn't know this thread exists (and I do plan to contribute more often).  Some recent DMX I was listening to while digging through old personal collections.

Okay fine this song belongs to Busta Rhymes. But who is opposed to a track with Busta, DMX, and Jay-Z?

Off of the 60 Minutes of Funk Volume 4 mixtape

My Surly handle is the name of this track. My handle gets made fun of a lot, which is fine. But clearly those posters don't know rap music. This track was the sleeper, unheralded song on Jay-Z's greatest studio album ever, The Blueprint. And I'll fight anyone who disagrees with me. Listen to his flow and tell me that it doesn't motivate you to accomplish whatever you choose to and spit venom at your haters!

And as a bonus trivia fact, please see the photo that The Blueprint cover album was based off of (and yes, those are actually brass knuckles - England had as big of a problem as we did in America with organized crime post-WWII:

Photo by Jocelyn Bain Hogg

https://genius.com/a/here-s-the-photo-that-inspired-jay-z-s-the-blueprint-cover-art

Edited by UDontKnow

49 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I didn't realize this thread exists, so I am posting this track in here because I think it deserves to win Rap Song of the Year. Fuck DJ Khaled, he did absolutely nothing on the song. The producer is named Tay-Keith and I had no fucking clue Lil' Baby could rap on such a dark, tortured soul type of beat. I wouldn't mind hearing a Baby and Durk collaboration album if they can bring this type of energy.

Focus like Bill in Sinton and tell me this instrumental ain't deep and bangin'

Durk is awesome in general. I'm not a huge Lil' Baby fan but he does his thing on that one, too. It's a good track. 

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Durk is awesome in general. I'm not a huge Lil' Baby fan but he does his thing on that one, too. It's a good track. 

I know little to nothing about this age of rappers. Every once in a while I'll hear something on the radio that piques my interest. The very little I had heard of Lil' Baby until this point seemed unimpressive to me. It was mainly the beat that grabbed my attention, then I started listening to his flow and was like "holy shit, he's spitting fire."

As I am unfortunately becoming an old head with time, so I wouldn't mind seeing modern rap suggestions being posted by you or anyone else for that matter. I spent the entirety of my K-12 education at schools where rap and R&B were the music of choice.

I'll continue to post my urban music faves if others are interested. My only concern is that I'll end up unintentionally monopolizing the thread - wish we had more fans willing to contribute.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

This guy was like Snoop Dogg-lite, but was yet another Dr. Dre mentored artist that saw his work shelved. I don't believe he ever had his full album released.

This was one solo produced by Dr. Dre

This one was produced by Scott Storch - he sampled an Indian hand played drum (tabla.)

He's a feature on this track from The Wash movie soundtrack. The movie was a full length feature with Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg in lead roles. Dr. Dre co-produced the track. That flute on the instrumental is fire.

As a bonus, this video goes into greater detail regarding Knocturnal.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fuuuuuuck. I literally came here to post a Key Glock track. Didn't see that yesterday. 

I mean - not remotely surprising but that still sucks. Wonder what the fallout is going to be in that city. 

Let's try and keep this guy alive. Consistently some of my favorite production of anyone out there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Been feeling Dolph pretty heavy today. These things have a way of catching up to you later. This was a phenomenal album and stayed true to its roots. Black Friday and Corduroy Househoes Skit are pretty powerful (tracks 2 and 5) and the former plays into To Be Honest which is probably the best track on here (Juicy J on the track to really hammer it home). Hope Memphis celebrates this record because this was his peak. I'm sure they will.

And if you don't have Spotify fuck off and get with the program. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey I think this is great. I had never heard it before yesterday and I would say 80% of the music songs I listen to are from this genre. I guess the stuff I like is pretty mainstream. I had heard of 4 Tay through Only God can Judge Me and some Too $hort. Anyway I might be high and the bars are kind of cheesy, but I think this is one of my favorite samples and beats I've ever heard. Can you listen to that without nodding along? 

11 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Hey I think this is great. I had never heard it before yesterday and I would say 80% of the music songs I listen to are from this genre. I guess the stuff I like is pretty mainstream. I had heard of 4 Tay through Only God can Judge Me and some Too $hort. Anyway I might be high and the bars are kind of cheesy, but I think this is one of my favorite samples and beats I've ever heard. Can you listen to that without nodding along? 

Playaz Club is also fantastic.

Edited by smuggs
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

Familiar with Playaz Club. Didn't realize until last night that it was 4 Tay. Too Short Radio has been a mainstay on my Spotify the past few weeks. 

They have been showing this ad on a regular loop, along with adult diaper delivery and a million different “wealth management” businesses on the Tennis Channel these past 2 to 4 weeks.