Hip-hop / Rap that you're listening to

ztejas

• 2 weeks later...

Been listening to Jack Harlow, come home the kids miss you, on walks and at the gym this week. It’s the first rap album I’ve liked in awhile.

The album is very well produced with interesting beats and good flow.

He doesn’t try to be black or em, so that is nice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

A lot of stuff in here that I want to respond to and I'll get around to it. I won't leave y'all hanging. 

--

I just can't shake my belief that Kodak is pretty much an autistic savant. Kendrick threw him on at least 3 tracks (it may have been 4) on his new album and if anyone in the game curates his shit to a finer degree than Kendrick does I must have missed it. Kodak is just a stupidly talented human being that may or may not be a little retarded. 

I was going through a Kodak album from 5+ years ago and I dug the opening track (here):

... and kept it running and then got to the 5th track and I'm thinking, shit man. This song 5 years ago was an unassuming filler track that no one paid any attention to. And now I'm listening to it in 2022 and it's an absolute fucking banger. 

Like... who the fuck is this guy. How do you drop something 5 years ahead of its time like that like it's an ancient artifact that your fans happen upon half a decade later? 

WHO THE FUCK IS THIS GUY BRO? 

That shit is insanely good and sounds like a single someone might release next weekend. 

I can't be the only one hearing this. I know Kendrick was hearing all of this shit. I know I'm not crazy. 

I played the shit out of that album in college. I never gave that track a 2nd thought. And now it jumps out to me and seems like the strongest track on the album. 

That isn't normal. Normal artists don't do that. That's not a thing that happens. 

Kodak is fucking different man. I understand that if you hate all of this new-school shit then you won't appreciate any of it but if you can just bear with me for a sec then I feel like I can demonstrate this. 

On 6/5/2022 at 5:05 AM, Fastbreak said:

Been listening to Jack Harlow, come home the kids miss you, on walks and at the gym this week. It’s the first rap album I’ve liked in awhile.

The album is very well produced with interesting beats and good flow.

He doesn’t try to be black or em, so that is nice.

Album is okay. I think his lyricism suffers on a lot of the tracks. I do love this one. 

(Like... who am I kidding. I LOVE this one. This shit fucking hits in the whip)

Harlow's aight. He isn't Mac. Closer to Macklemore. 

On 6/10/2022 at 12:17 PM, MC Fresh Breath said:

Love Denzel. 

New Drake is a fucking abortion. And I dug his last album. Just not sure wtf he was trying to go for on this last one. 

Edited by ztejas

On 6/7/2022 at 11:01 PM, UDontKnow said:

This song has been stuck in my head since the last verzuz.

If I were from Memphis, this would be my pimpin' anthem.

Memphis is on the map right now dude. Young Dolph got caught up in it but Key Glock is probably my favorite artist right now. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Memphis is on the map right now dude. Young Dolph got caught up in it but Key Glock is probably my favorite artist right now. 

Many aren't familiar, but Memphis has had representation for a very long time. There is quite a bit of range too. This is my favorite Memphis track, but I don't recommend one listen to it if feeling down and depressed.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Many aren't familiar, but Memphis has had representation for a very long time. There is quite a bit of range too. This is my favorite Memphis track, but I don't recommend one listen to it if feeling down and depressed.

Boy I'm familiar as fuck. Three six is probably the most underrated act ever when it comes to hip-hop influence. None of this modern shit that leaked out of Atlanta circa 2014ish would have existed without 3 6 and also some of the shit that came out of Houston. 

But - there wasn't a ton of shit going for that city for awhile. It's shifted back with artists like Dolph, Glock, Moneybagg Yo to where it's been my favorite sound for a bit.

Yo Gotti is okay. He doesn't really crack my best Memphis artists ever - that tells you how deep it is. 

I mean I've posted this sentiment here already but this is one of the greatest hip hop songs I've ever heard. And I was on the wagon before he dropped the video. 

Yeah. He dropped that shit 8 days ago. I've been talking it up for months. Just unreal stuff. 

Edited by ztejas

• 2 weeks later...

Heard this earlier this morning after a long time.

Scarface is an institution unto the rap game. The first great emcee from H-Town.

This beat and hook was courtesy of a very young Kanye West. It was recorded in 2001 - Jay-Z was on the top of the rap world after dropping the Blueprint. That makes his collaboration with Scarface even more noteworthy.

Also, the album art resonates well with me (and maybe just me too). The mirror for Scarface's reflection and obviously for the fix, too.

• Hook 'Em 2

One of a whopping two or three times I've ever heard Beanie Sigel spit hard. But he was holding the torch for Philadelphia back then (him, Freeway, and Peedi Crak before Meek Mill came around). He really should have kept good relations with Hovah and Roc-a-Fella Records. And goddamn, Just Blaze used to slay with his beats (seems he's slowed down production these days). Can you imagine @shadow_operative freestyling to this beat?

On 7/5/2022 at 12:18 PM, UDontKnow said:

Heard this earlier this morning after a long time.

Scarface is an institution unto the rap game. The first great emcee from H-Town.

This beat and hook was courtesy of a very young Kanye West. It was recorded in 2001 - Jay-Z was on the top of the rap world after dropping the Blueprint. That makes his collaboration with Scarface even more noteworthy.

Also, the album art resonates well with me (and maybe just me too). The mirror for Scarface's reflection and obviously for the fix, too.

Scarface is a treasure. One of the best rappers ever from any region. He's respected by everyone and is your favorite rapper's favorite rapper. He does not have a bad solo album under his belt. The podcast he does with Willie D is really good, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/19/2022 at 12:20 AM, UDontKnow said:

I love Memphis rap with a passion. Right there with Houston and New Orleans. 

Memphis goes way back to the early 90s and even late 80s. DJ Squeeky, DJ Sound, King JC, DJ Spanish Fly, DJ Zirk, Tommy Wright III, Triple 6 Mafia, 8Ball/MJG, Gangsta Pat, Kingpin Skinny Pimp and the list goes on and on.

Speaking of Yo Gotti, he got his start under DJ Sound as Lil Yo. He was about 14 or 15 when he dropped his first little album.

• Hook 'Em 1

Really been enjoying the vibe of Wiz Khalifa's "Kush and OJ" and Mac Miller's "K.I.D.S" and "Best Day Ever."  This is apparently the hip hop era I just wasn't tuned into.  Love that laid back vibe with cool sounding production quality.  Think I'll explore both of these artists' entire catalog.

24 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Really been enjoying the vibe of Wiz Khalifa's "Kush and OJ" and Mac Miller's "K.I.D.S" and "Best Day Ever."  This is apparently the hip hop era I just wasn't tuned into.  Love that laid back vibe with cool sounding production quality.  Think I'll explore both of these artists' entire catalog.

Kush & OJ was probably Wiz's most revered project. I am not a huge Wiz fan but enjoyed this. My cousin I lived with a decade ago was a huge Wiz fan and that style of rap so I heard it a lot. I never dove into Mac Miller's work and not sure if I can name one of his songs.

This is my favorite Wiz song

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 5:05 PM, ztejas said:

Wait for the drop.

I listened to this a few weeks when me and my fiance were driving. I just can't get into this rap at all. I am not saying it's bad or be an old guy who yells at clouds. I can tolerate some of Drake's stuff but with a lot of this new rap, all the production and beats run together and everyone is using the same autotune voice effects to where I can't hardly distinguish anyone's voice. Some of the production hits hard on these new rap songs but too much of it sounds too similar and the same basic production style.

On 11/16/2022 at 12:45 PM, Vic Mackey said:

I listened to this a few weeks when me and my fiance were driving. I just can't get into this rap at all. I am not saying it's bad or be an old guy who yells at clouds. I can tolerate some of Drake's stuff but with a lot of this new rap, all the production and beats run together and everyone is using the same autotune voice effects to where I can't hardly distinguish anyone's voice. Some of the production hits hard on these new rap songs but too much of it sounds too similar and the same basic production style.

Yeah I get that and a lot of people share that sentiment with various genres or genres within genres. 

It's always interesting listening to music from an artist that's just died. Puts certain lyrics into perspective. You can really hear how much a lot of stuff was wearing on Dolph in this first posthumous track (granted he was shot and killed, he didn't OD or anything, but still). 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...