Hip-hop / Rap that you're listening to

ztejas

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

EXCLUSIVE: De La Soul’s Trugoy The Dove Has Died At 54

https://allhiphop.com/exclusives/de-la-souls-trugoy-the-dove-has-died/

dammit 

That sucks.  RIP.

Also notable that their early catalog will finally be available on streaming.  Three is a magic number.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

EXCLUSIVE: De La Soul’s Trugoy The Dove Has Died At 54

https://allhiphop.com/exclusives/de-la-souls-trugoy-the-dove-has-died/

dammit 

I watch/skim through episodes of 120 Minutes on MTV Classic most Sunday nights (11pm - 1:00am CST). My ongoing bitch about it is they typically seem to always show the same rotation of videos week after week after week. To their credit tonight, they have already shown the videos for Buddy; Me, Myself and I; and Potholes in My Lawn (which I’m pretty sure they’ve never show before) so good on them for the tribute.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I watch/skim through episodes of 120 Minutes on MTV Classic most Sunday nights (11pm - 1:00am CST). My ongoing bitch about it is they typically seem to always show the same rotation of videos week after week after week. To their credit tonight, they have already shown the videos for Buddy; Me, Myself and I; and Potholes in My Lawn (which I’m pretty sure they’ve never show before) so good on them for the tribute.

Wow…plus Stakes is High and all in the first hour. Kudos to MTV Classic for both paying tribute and also finally mixing it up more
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That sucks.  RIP.

Also notable that their early catalog will finally be available on streaming.  Three is a magic number.

Yeah I think I had posted about that earlier and have been stoked for it.  It’s going to open up their music to a new generation of fans.  I didn’t know Trugoy had been fighting health issues for years.  Vainly hoped for a tour.  This news just sucks.

Still intend to enjoy everything they stream and have vinyl on pre-order. 3/3/2023 will be a magic day, now with some sadness.

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Yeah I think I had posted about that earlier and have been stoked for it.  It’s going to open up their music to a new generation of fans.  I didn’t know Trugoy had been fighting health issues for years.  Vainly hoped for a tour.  This news just sucks.

Still intend to enjoy everything they stream and have vinyl on pre-order. 3/3/2023 will be a magic day, now with some sadness.

One of my all-time favorite samples - Otis, Sly and Steely Dan just stitched together seamlessly. RIP:

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2023 at 11:14 PM, ztejas said:

No wait holy shit this is fucking insane. 2nd track. 

Oh my God this dude is going to be massive. 

Did this guy ever end up going viral/massive/blowing up?

It's pretty good, not that great or special (to me) and I clearly don't love it as much as you do.

A modern Dirty South Rydaz to me (minor dallas rapper for a minor rap scene)

• 5 weeks later...

Do corridos tumbados belong in here? The lyrics are heavily influenced by American rap music and the flow usually borrows from it to. The music videos are also pretty outrageous. It’s one of the fastest growing genres globally right now thanks to guys like Peso Pluma and Natanael Cano. Add in Becky G and Grupo frontera and I can’t think of a bigger time for Mexican & Mexican American artists. Pretty cool for me to see on a personal level.

I've been on a big hip hop kick (for me) for about the past year - I wasn't super into it at all when I was younger, eased up to it more through college and onwards, sporadically did some heavy listening every here and there to something specific (MF Doom, Wu Tang, Heltah Skeltah a little sojourn into Odd Future a decade ago, etc), but this year I've been into it. Relying a lot on spotify playlists to find my way through stuff, a lot of... "I Love My East Coast Classics" and "I Love My Underground Classics". Gang Starr, Mobb Deep, finally got way into Tribe, some De La Soul, etc. Anyways, just rambling a bit on my hip hop journey this year. This is one track I love, I just found a "boom boom bap" playlist that seems to have similar stuff, so if this is boom boom bap then i like that.

• Hook 'Em 3

I know this board tends to love the old school hip hop and I respect that. Can’t believe I forgot people under the stairs but I have a long list of older hip hop I love, just getting a little worried about the current state of rap. Not a ton of greatness out right now. MGK cyphers on YouTube have been 🔥, doomsday and what they did with juice was incredible, smurkios album…ok, uzis album…decent eh, jack..I agree with the Drake sentiments. I’ve been getting back to my 09-‘11 days and enjoying the quality samples and beats that are out. I know this is a couple years old but sleepy hallows deep end is a mood changer. 

I'm trying to remember a song I scrolled past at some point probably on that underground classics playlist, I was thinking at first maybe it was Pharcyde but I don't think it is. Definitely some of that kinda vibe, one of the vocalists was female, east coast, and it was about chilling in the city on a Sunday morning and everything is peaceful - people are out, playing music, there's no violence, the crew is vibing etc

ok and as i'm typing this it's working itself free - I finally thought "digable planets?" and added that to my search term, found it

On 7/11/2023 at 12:37 PM, Longhornsnus said:

The Vibe:

I like some of his stuff but that's fucking garbage. That track Black he did off a recent album was great. (Here)

Wondering if anyone here listens to Gunna. 

Edited by ztejas

Yea I get how people might not like it, I mean it’s not a beautiful example of hip hop artistry, it’s just the vibe for me me right now. A fun summer song with a fast pace and great energy for when I want to roll my windows down in this heat. That’s all; it’s a whole mood for me.

On 7/16/2023 at 12:47 AM, ztejas said:

I like some of his stuff but that's fucking garbage. That track Black he did off a recent album was great. (Here)

Wondering if anyone here listens to Gunna. 

I think our tastes in this kind of music must be complementary in that the song I like from an artist you don't like and the song you like from the same artist is one I do not like. e.g. YoungBoy

Further complementary takes, the gunna music to me is the worst. I hate the sing-songy kind of "rap". It's why, try as I might, I don't much like Post Malone tbh.

Found this new group that makes really awesome rap / hip-hop:

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=0e9aCjWqci0&feature=share

This is the first single. Their first album just dropped.

My son wrote and performed all the music and his friend wrote and performed the lyrics. Let me know what y'all t

hink!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2023 at 11:09 PM, ztejas said:

This dude had one pretty viral social media hit and just dropped his debut album on Spotify.

From Dallas, Texas.

I thought of you and this post. Was reading an article from DMN about how the DPD drug bust swat team operates and saw this:

The Jump Out Boys like to keep things rowdy and loud in their unmarked vans as they head out on a drug bust — giving each other hell as the van vibrates with the booming bass of Texas rapper BigXthaPlug.

https://interactives.dallasnews.com/2023/deadly-fake-fentanyl-crisis-in-north-texas/dallas-police-drug-bust-2023-ride-along/

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2023 at 2:05 PM, animaltobacco11 said:

Riding around with a bunch of 50 year olds in a rental through The Woodlands all week listening to old school drill has been funny. I found this song (new to me) which I’ve really liked:

Pooh Sheisty went to middle school in Pflugerville. #themoreyouknow

also i like this one of his:

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1