Raspberry Pi stuff

LW Goatman

Hey nerdz:

I just purchased a raspberry pi 3 b+ as an impulse buy from woot. I don't know anything about these things or coding and such but understand these things can be used by even fools like me. The original reason for the purchase was to put the old video games on for my daughter and i to play. I then read that Kodi can be installed. The instructions seem simple enough to get Kodi installed but is there an easy way to get a dvr setup on one of these things? I'm sure i'll have numerous other simple minded questions you kind folks may be able to help me out with in the future.

3 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Sure, sure... the faster the processor or graphics card the more you can mine at any given time. BBBBUUUUUTTTTT.... the more you have that is mining then you are at least getting something from it.

Not exactly how it works. It's a competition to solve the blocks/transactions or you don't get a piece of the coin. Speed matters, Frys is out of 1070 and 1080 cards for a reason. You can't compete with the newest cards, you will never solve the problem in time to get any BTC. Even with 1000 of these little mini PCs you won't solve the same as one 1080 can solve, and these guys have 40 of them stacked.

The-Ideal-Cryptocurrency-Mining-Setup.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Sidney Sherman said:

Not exactly how it works. It's a competition to solve the blocks/transactions or you don't get a piece of the coin. Speed matters, Frys is out of 1070 and 1080 cards for a reason. You can't compete with the newest cards, you will never solve the problem in time to get any BTC. Even with 1000 of these little mini PCs you won't solve the same as one 1080 can solve, and these guys have 40 of them stacked.

The-Ideal-Cryptocurrency-Mining-Setup.jpeg

I'm aware of how it works, I was making a joke about mining.

13 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I'm aware of how it works, I was making a joke about mining.

heh, my sarcasm detector is broke.

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i got a pi zero to set up a pi-hole, but it takes mini hdmi or some crap and i haven't gotten around to buying a cable.   pi3 is overkill for that purpose, pi zero works fine. 

whats a pi-hole? Mini HDMI? Maybe it's mini DVI, that connection is actually pretty sweet it works well, I have one on my laptop.

Just now, Sidney Sherman said:

heh, my sarcasm detector is broke.

whats a pi-hole? Mini HDMI? Maybe it's mini DVI, that connection is actually pretty sweet it works well, I have one on my laptop.

pi hole blocks advertising across your whole network at the dns level. 

https://pi-hole.net/

it's definitely mini-hdmi. 

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2819 <--- best site to get pi accessories. 

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

pi hole blocks advertising across your whole network at the dns level. 

https://pi-hole.net/

it's definitely mini-hdmi. 

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2819 <--- best site to get pi accessories. 

woe that's fucking gnarley.

So is this mini hdmi like the same width and a bit thinner than hdmi?

Dang I'm thinking about buying this 3B+, looks pretty cool. Can I get the whole kit from ada fruit or do I have to buy it and figure out what I'm missing and need to buy after.

Yea - I am too dumb to set it up as a dvr but clearly it can be done - I just cant navigate all these fucking menus like I could with the 2. Cannot seem to get the service set up properly. I can watch stuff so I've got that.