Liverpool 21-22: van Dijk Strikes Back

Firemans4Horn

Son of a bitch, you stole the title I thought of exactly!

So we lose Gini, Origi, and probably Shaq. We add Konate. An interesting name I saw rumored was Florian Neuhaus from Mönchengladbach as the Gini replacement. I'm fine with letting Kabak go. He wasn't bad but I don't think he has the speed to stay in the EPL. I wonder if Rhys is loaned out because he definitely could use some seasoning. Though he'll get no better teacher than VvD. 

Oh also saw we may try to sell Keita to Atletico. Get whatever you can and don't look back. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

Here's a look at the contract situation:

2021:

Position Player Age
GK Adrian 34
CM Georginio Wijnaldum 30

2022:

Position Player Age
GK Caoimhin Kelleher 22
GK Loris Karius 27
CM James Milner 35
AM Ben Woodburn 21

2023:

Position Player Age
CB Virgil van Dijk 29
CB Nat Phillips 24
DM Marko Grujic 25
DM Fabinho 27
CM Naby Keïta 26
CM Jordan Henderson 30
CM Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain 27
LW Sadio Mané 29
RW Sheyi Ojo 23
RW Harry Wilson 24
RW Mohamed Salah 28
RW Xherdan Shaqiri 29
CF Roberto Firmino 29
CF Taiwo Awoniyi 23

2024:

Position Player Age
GK Alisson Becker 28
CB Joe Gomez 23
CB Joel Matip 29
CB Sepp van den Berg 19
LB Andrew Robertson 27
RB Trent Alexander-Arnold 22
CM Thiago 30
LW Takumi Minamino 26
CF Divock Origi 26

2025:

Position Player Age
CB Rhys Williams 20
CB Ben Davies 25
LB Konstantinos Tsimikas 25
RB Neco Williams 20
CM Curtis Jones 20
LW Diogo Jota 24

We're getting long in the tooth in the midfield and attack. We haven't really spent in a few years so I'd like to believe even with Covid we have money on top of sales to spend. 

JMO but this is who I'd sell if possible:

Position Player Age
GK Loris Karius 27
CB Joel Matip 29
CB Ben Davies 25
DM Marko Grujic 25
CM Naby Keïta 26
CM Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain 27
AM Ben Woodburn 21
LW Takumi Minamino 26
LW Sadio Mané 29
RW Sheyi Ojo 23
RW Harry Wilson 24
RW Xherdan Shaqiri 29
CF Taiwo Awoniyi 23
CF Divock Origi 26

It's really Ox OR Naby this summer for me. I don't really care which one. Neither provides anything but injuries but getting rid of both seems unlikely. Those sales plus not splashing after the UCL winning season or the EPL winning season should provide more than enough funds to bolster the midfield and attack with younger players.

The unknown is if any clubs will really be able to buy this summer. With Covid I'm not sure anyone knows what's going to happen.

My favorite episodes of The Anfield Wrap are the post match shows.  many/most of the time you can tell the guys are partying pretty good (well not so much the last ~year), but john Gibbons took that to the next level yesterday.  Absolutely blasted.  He was in that state where you usually get your friend out of the way discreetly and send them to bed or take them home.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, pied said:

My favorite episodes of The Anfield Wrap are the post match shows.  many/most of the time you can tell the guys are partying pretty good (well not so much the last ~year), but john Gibbons took that to the next level yesterday.  Absolutely blasted.  He was in that state where you usually get your friend out of the way discreetly and send them to bed or take them home.  

Robbo and Neil weren’t too far behind him. Neil still a poet even when battered. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I probably sound out of my mind but I think we have a legit shot at Haaland, though that may only be feasible if we sell one of Mané or Salah. Hard to imagine this side without Salah, but it might be the right time to cash in on him, if there's a side willing to pay us what he's worth. 

Konate sounds done and dusted. I'd keep Kabak – he's only been about a replacement level defender but he's had some time to settle in and I'm not sure you can find a fourth-choice CB as good as him for £20M. You want to ease Virg and Gomez back in and having depth will be very important. 

As for Gini's replacement, Bissouma is the rumored guy but I think I'd prefer Sander Berge, who'd be cheaper and wouldn't leave when the rest of our team departs for AFCON. Is he tight w/ Haaland? Love having Scandinavians in the squad.

I think unless someone wants to break the bank this summer, Haaland won't be sold until next season. Dortmund making Champions League helped keep him around a bit longer. Dortmund will sell Sancho first to Man United to get more cash but I bet they wait and drive up the price with all the Haaland suitors. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

I probably sound out of my mind but I think we have a legit shot at Haaland, though that may only be feasible if we sell one of Mané or Salah. Hard to imagine this side without Salah, but it might be the right time to cash in on him, if there's a side willing to pay us what he's worth. 

Konate sounds done and dusted. I'd keep Kabak – he's only been about a replacement level defender but he's had some time to settle in and I'm not sure you can find a fourth-choice CB as good as him for £20M. You want to ease Virg and Gomez back in and having depth will be very important. 

As for Gini's replacement, Bissouma is the rumored guy but I think I'd prefer Sander Berge, who'd be cheaper and wouldn't leave when the rest of our team departs for AFCON. Is he tight w/ Haaland? Love having Scandinavians in the squad.

I see no reason to keep Kabak. I think Nat was/is better than he is.

23 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think unless someone wants to break the bank this summer, Haaland won't be sold until next season. Dortmund making Champions League helped keep him around a bit longer. Dortmund will sell Sancho first to Man United to get more cash but I bet they wait and drive up the price with all the Haaland suitors. 

I thought Haaland has a reasonable (~70m) release clause that kicks in after next season?

70-100 M if triggered in 2022 supposedly. No one seems to know the exact amount. I think Dortmund would entertain a Coutinho like deal but you could cut that significantly by just waiting. Though with Real Madrid facing losing La Liga and UCL titles this year, they may get desperate. 

Paul Gorst of the Echo had a Q&A this morning. Here's his comments:

Spoiler

ptgorst2

9:59 AM

Blimey! Konate not done yet and you're already after fresh meat! They will look to bring in a forward, I am sure of it. Wijnaldum's an interesting one and whether or not they feel a replacement is needed. For me, it absolutely is, but Klopp sometimes moves to his own drum.

ptgorst2

10:01 AM

I believe talks with begin on new deals for Fabinho and Alisson. Salah has been angling for one for a while now too I think and Liverpool would be foolish not to assess that situation too. Van Dijk is surely a no-brainer isn't it?

ptgorst2

10:03 AM

If it is up to Klopp, I think he will keep Phillips on. He's been delighted with what the 'Bolton Baresi' has done this season. But the player himself might feel as though he can play regularly elsewhere after 20 LFC appearances this season. He has proven that he can so I expect he'll have suitors if he wants to secure more regular football next season,

ptgorst2

10:05 AM

We can. Liverpool will assess Elliott this pre-season but they have been delighted with his progress at Blackburn and much like his first season at the club they will see him playing a role in the cups. I wouldn't rule out a PL loan entirely, but I imagine they want to retain him.

ptgorst2

10:07 AM

Concern for who? Not sure if that thought process is prevalent inside the club but the move for Konate - who is 22 today - shows you that they are looking at players with plenty of years ahead of them. i expect that to be a key component for any incomings this summer. I think there's another 12 months before the club seriously get worried about the age of their key stars.

ptgorst2

10:08 AM

No, Kabak will be heading back to Schalke now. I asked Klopp about this on Friday and he said no decision had been taken but he was talking in past tense about Kabak which I found to be telling. He will head back to Schalke but I am certain he'll leave there this summer.

ptgorst2

10:09 AM

I don't now, no. Kabak will be going back to Schalke. Certain he'll leave for someone new, however. Been linked with Leipzig who are losing Upamecano and, if Liverpool get their way, Konate.

ptgorst2

10:11 AM

I guess by virtue of there being another midfielder in the mix, it will, yes. But I don't think that is too big of a problem. Jones is still just 20 so doesn't need to be starring at a club the size of Liverpool every week. Plenty of time on his side to develop and improve. He's had a good season all things considered.

ptgorst2

10:13 AM

Salah, I am almost certain, is angling for a new Liverpool contract. His assertions of his future 'being in the club's hands' in Dec/Jan were telling on the score. I have no reason to doubt that Van Dijk is anything other than happy at the club too. Liverpool will be relaxed on both scores as far as new contracts go.

ptgorst2

10:14 AM

I've no real idea as to the severity of Gomez's knee injury, but it was a bad one. Klopp is hopeful he can be fit for pre-season but with Matip fit and Konate likely on board, there will be some serious competition next season. It will be three players fighting mainly for one spot though as we know how important Van Dijk is. All four will play.

ptgorst2

10:15 AM

Not that I am aware of at this stage. I like both of those Leicester midfielders but they are not names I've heard mentioned at Liverpool. Tielemans is quality though, isn't he?

ptgorst2

10:18 AM

I don't see a scenario where Liverpool sign Kylian Mbappe. I know, sorry...I would be surprised if they aren't taking at least a passing interest in Bissouma. Reports on Monday suggested he's told Brighton he wants to leave and he's been excellent for them. Aouar is another with big potential but not someone I've seen seriously linked for some time.

ptgorst2

10:19 AM

He has played at full-back, yeah. Having watched him for Liverpool he seems more suited to a central position. His deal was part of the Ben Davies one and if Preston want him again I see no reason why Liverpool would stand in their way. It seems like it was a healthy loan for all parties.

ptgorst2

10:22 AM

No interest in Renato Sanches as far as I know. No idea if the Goncalves link is genuine. It's come from Record in Portugal but Liverpool's name is sometimes an easy one to include as far as speculative interest goes.

ptgorst2

10:23 AM

If you're putting a gun to my head I think Grujic, Wilson and Awoniyi will leave if Liverpool receive suitable offers. Shaqiri and Origi will be in the shop window too.

ptgorst2

10:24 AM

The 7,000 seats for the Anfield Road expansion is only costing around £50-60m. You'd need to double that to get PSG to answer the phone over Mbappe, sadly.

ptgorst2

10:26 AM

Adrian's contract is up this summer, but as we've seen this season, Caoimhin Kelleher might reasonably be above him now in the pecking order. So I don't expect another backup to arrive.

ptgorst2

10:30 AM

Matip will be staying put. I definitely agree that Wijnaldum needs replacing. He played 51 times last season, it would be incredible if that was just shunned, especially when Keita and Oxlade have had their injury problems and Milner is in the twilight of his career.

ptgorst2

10:36 AM

I think Liverpool will look to target a more traditional centre-forward this summer as opposed to a versatile one who can play across all areas of the front. It's been a long time since Roberto Firmino has had serious competition for a place as a No.9 and we've seen that in his performances at times.

I don't know if it should be Kabak but we should probably bring in another CB. Gomez, Matip and even Konate all have extensive injury histories. Gomez may not be back for awhile if some of the rumors are true. So our "5th" choice CB could realistically be our 2nd or 3rd. And when it's put in those terms that player should not be Phillips.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, maninblack said:

I don't know if it should be Kabak but we should probably bring in another CB. Gomez, Matip and even Konate all have extensive injury histories. Gomez may not be back for awhile if some of the rumors are true. So our "5th" choice CB could realistically be our 2nd or 3rd. And when it's put in those terms that player should not be Phillips.

That's my thinking too, but I actually think it should be Kabak. He didn't set the world on fire but he came in and played from day one and never really looked out of place. He also had a fantastic performance against Leipzig in the CL. We might not be interested at the agreed-upon price but I think if we offered £15M it would be a great deal. He's got a high ceiling and has already settled into the team.

Nat was a damn warrior for us and more or less saved the season. I wouldn't be against keeping him but I think we could recoup 50-75% of the price we'd pay for Kabak. 

The wildcard is Ben Davies, who is definitely sticking around, according to Pearce. Then again, can he even stay fit?

We need a new physio staff.