Liverpool 21-22: van Dijk Strikes Back

Firemans4Horn

I'm just not a fan of yellow kits. I'm sure it will sell well but it's not for me. I find this is the case as I get older. The checkerboard pattern is what sticks out to me as odd. If we can win some European football with them, that's all I care about.  

Edited by mdmost

11 minutes ago, pied said:

Sounds like he's a little bitter towards FSG/etc.  I get ot paying him the money though.  Glad he was here and happy that he is making bank now.  Also not arsed that we're not paying that to him either.

His agent screwed the pooch 2 summers ago not get him an extension/raise then. When his contract got down to one year and we have 3 other late 20’s and early 30’s midfielders it made sense to let him roll off the books (Hendo is captain, Thiago is boss, Fabinho is one of the first names on the team sheet). We definitely need to replace his dependability and versatility though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Good stuff. And Bobby is the perfect guy to run Klopp's system, however, he's not Bobby of 2019. He's not quick enough to make the runs he's made in the past and not clinical enough to finish when he gets open. I hope he has a role going forward, but if Klopp continues with the "false 9", he needs a different person.

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Don't know much about him. Any thoughts?

I like him a lot. Plays in a two on the left but is versatile enough to play in a 3 imo. We'd have the most press resistant midfield in the EPL. Let's see what the fee is but Bayern has been sniffing around so I'm all for beating them to a prospect. He's in the Euro German squad so we'll get to see him at some point I'm sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sounds like Neco and Phillips both want to leave to get more game time. Can't blame them but I'm not sure we'll be able to easily find replacements, especially for Neco. He's not great but he's serviceable and he at least provides something in the attack. I hate the thought of Joe Gomez as our backup RB, especially coming off a bad injury.

Liverpool will demand £10M for Neco and around £12M for Phillips, which I think are fair prices and decent business for us.

Phillips will go down as a cult hero for what he did for us this year. He was absolutely vital for us, which is crazy considering we were trying to offload him to Swansea last year.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm hoping this is just white noise to mask a current angle they're taking but seeing multiple stories that we're not buying anyone else this window and not replacing Gini. This smacks of the same mistake that was made in not getting more cover for the backfield last offseason. That's a lot of wishful hoping on a bunch of injury plagued midfielders.  

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

TAW sounded bullish on us getting Neuhaus but I guess no one outside of Klopp/Edwards really know. 

love seeing the pictures of Klopp on holiday at the tennis match or on the boat.  Take some time and re-energize.  Also like seeing Henderson not playing.  :) 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Liverpool is going to block Mo and Konate from playing for their country squads in the Olympics. Mo being on the squad is odd for him since it's a U-23 squad. Good for us though. 

It's U-23 + three senior players. Pretty dumb but that's the way they've done it for the last 20 years or so.

Transfer rumours: Mbappe, Sancho, Coutinho, James, Daka

Liverpool have enquired about the availability of Paris St-Germain and France forward Kylian Mbappe, 22, who has also been linked with a move to Real Madrid. Mbappe's contract at PSG is set to expire in 2022. (Marca)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/gossip

https://www.marca.com/en/football/transfer-market/2021/06/25/60d6195346163f20488b4593.html

Compartir en Facebook

Compartir en Twitter

Compartir en Whatsapp

Enviar por email

Ligue 1. Mbappe: I feel good at PSG, but is it the best place for me? I still don't have the answer

Olympic Games. Mbappe missing from France Olympic squad, but Camavinga, Thauvin and Gignac make it

Real Madrid will unlikely have a clear-path to try and tempt Kylian Mbappe to join the club, with it understood that Liverpool have enquired about the availability of the French forward this summer.

Mbappe's contractual situation is one that, by now, almost everyone is aware of, with the prodigious talent having just one solitary year left at the Parc des Princes.

Whilst Friday afternoon saw Paris Saint-Germain sign Mbappe's younger brother to a youth contract, the elder Mbappe has thus far shown no similar appetite to tie his future to the French giants.

Irrespective of Nasser Al-Khelaifi's rather bold comments which suggested it would be impossible to lose Mbappe on a Bosman in 2022, it is actually the French international who holds all the cards.

PSG don't want to sell

To this point PSG have been clear that they have no intention of selling Mbappe this summer in order to avoid the financial loss that would come if he departed on a free transfer.

Furthermore, PSG appear to be trying to tempt Mbappe to stay with a replenishing of their squad, highlighting their ambition, although if Mbappe needed proof of PSG's ambition in the market, he's going to be miserable at most other clubs.

Paul Pogba has been discussed by the French club, a close friend of Mbappe and international colleague, whilst Sergio Ramos and Cristiano Ronaldo could both bring a serial-winner's mentality to the PSG dressing room this summer.

Liverpool's enquiry seems more out of hope than expectation, particularly with regards to this summer, with the Merseyside club unable to buy until they move players out of the club.

Salah or Mane?

Klopp endured a difficult 2020/21 season at Anfield with injuries derailing his hopes of defending the title before the season had begun in earnest, yet one area of concern was actually in attack.

Diogo Jota was a fine signing, adding an element of energy and production to a front-three that had been the fulcrum of what the Reds did well. Yet, both Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah were poor in parts last season, and time is not on the side of either player.

The problem is finding a buyer. Salah is the more reliable performer but has very little resale value for his age, and the teams that don't care about resale value already have better players in that position.

It's unclear whether a swap deal was discussed between Liverpool and PSG, which included one or both Mane and Salah, but It's clear that the Merseyside club are preparing for a longer-term future without them.

Would Mbappe move to Anfield?

It's difficult to answer this without appearing dismissive of a team that is a more recent Champions League winner than both Barcelona and Real Madrid, but it's difficult to see Mbappe ever lining up in Merseyside red.

A transfer this summer will be almost impossible. A more likely solution would be a free transfer in 2022, and that actually raises costs far more than many realise.

MÁS EN MARCA

Acusan a Irene Montero y Rocío Carrasco de violar la presunción de inocencia de Antonio DavidMarca

El secreto de KantéMarca

A signing on fee and payment to agents would increase, whilst Mbappe has more than earned the right to ask for the highest salary in world football, which Liverpool can't afford to pay, nor would they want to.

Finally, Mbappe has long been attracted to Real Madrid. It is the club he has admired since his youth and there is a growing sense that the youngster is taking a bold business decision in refusing to re-sign in Paris in order to force through a move to the Estadio Santiago Bernabeu, which would never be possible if a transfer fee was required. The sense is that, for Mbappe, it is Real Madrid or nothing.

Marca English

• 2 weeks later...

Transfer rumors have been pretty quiet this summer but there's some murmurs about Saul and Dutch striker Donyell Malen from PSV.

Saul would be an incredible signing, but I know nothing about Malen, other than he's also been linked with Dortmund, which makes me think he's a really good prospect.

9 hours ago, 406W30th said:

Transfer rumors have been pretty quiet this summer but there's some murmurs about Saul and Dutch striker Donyell Malen from PSV.

Saul would be an incredible signing, but I know nothing about Malen, other than he's also been linked with Dortmund, which makes me think he's a really good prospect.

If we land Saul I'm going to need to seek medical treatment for an erection lasting more than 48 hours

tenor.gif?itemid=5530188

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, maninblack said:

Fabinho, Thiago and Saul...I can't let myself believe this.

You spelled "Henderson" wrong.  :)

Like to see Elliott get a new deal.  Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I like that kid.

So Liverpool spent £36 million on Ibrahima Konate CB back in late May, which would be a record signing for 10 of the current Premier League clubs and you guys have 3 posts about it?

What's going on?

From looking at his profile, he hasn't played much in the last two seasons at RB Leipzig (averaging about 600 minutes a season). What's the story?

Liverpool's CB issues were well documented last year - well documented. Is he just CB cover for £36 million? or nailed on starter? or to be slowly bedded in as a starter?

He's the Gomez insurance policy. I'd say most of us are being cautious about him because the last time we took an injury prone Leipzig player for a lot of money, it didn't work out quite as well as we would've hoped (Keita). So backing up or replacing your injury prone young CB with another injury prone young CB makes some of us a little skeptical, at least for me. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On the first page his name comes up 14 times (ctrl+F).  A couple are quotes, but still discussed.  

We went from CB heavy, to none pretty quickly.  I hope he fits in and expect to see some heavy rotation in the beginning.  When healthy, three outstanding CBs is a tremendous asset.  He may make four and hope he does.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, yoladu said:

So Liverpool spent £36 million on Ibrahima Konate CB back in late May, which would be a record signing for 10 of the current Premier League clubs and you guys have 3 posts about it?

What's going on?

From looking at his profile, he hasn't played much in the last two seasons at RB Leipzig (averaging about 600 minutes a season). What's the story?

Liverpool's CB issues were well documented last year - well documented. Is he just CB cover for £36 million? or nailed on starter? or to be slowly bedded in as a starter?

34 minutes ago, pied said:

On the first page his name comes up 14 times (ctrl+F).  A couple are quotes, but still discussed.  

We went from CB heavy, to none pretty quickly.  I hope he fits in and expect to see some heavy rotation in the beginning.  When healthy, three outstanding CBs is a tremendous asset.  He may make four and hope he does.

40 minutes ago, mdmost said:

He's the Gomez insurance policy. I'd say most of us are being cautious about him because the last time we took an injury prone Leipzig player for a lot of money, it didn't work out quite as well as we would've hoped (Keita). So backing up or replacing your injury prone young CB with another injury prone young CB makes some of us a little skeptical, at least for me. 

First, Konate was rumored to be done during the 2nd half of last season so there's posts about it there as well. Second, see @pied post. 

The injuries are a concern but the talent is immense. I don't think he's Gomez insurance. I believe he's Virgil's partner. Gomez' injury is significant and there's talk that he may not be fully ready for the beginning of the season.  We'll see how the preseason goes but as of today I expect Konate to be a starter very soon.

• Hook 'Em 3