Tottenham Hotspur 21-22: Ted Lasso Season 2

Captain Ron

As good of a coach as anyone.

What's going to happen next season? Who's the coach? Will Harry Kane still be here? What the hell is a Conference League?!?!

It reminds me all of the first season of the EPL on NBC when they kind of built their marketing around Spurs and Bale. And Bale was sold before the season started and ...

PRI_164983104-640x360.jpg

So what the hell, they announced season 2 of the show, seems like a perfect match.

• Hook 'Em 1

Agree with all of that.  When the club lost Paul Mitchell after his falling out with Levy in December of 2016, they lost their best Recruiting Director.  He helped bring in Sonny, Dele, and Toby, and after he left, there were no real notable signings.  That includes the infamous 18 months of nothing, from signing Moura in January of 2018 to Jack Clarke in the Summer of 2019.  Since then, it seems like it's been the Levy show.  Not good.  

They need to get someone like Ralf Rangnick and give him some type of Director of Football operations title and let him take charge of the on the pitch product, while Levy takes control of the off the pitch stuff. 

I don't know who they think they're going to get.  It's not Rodgers.  It's not Nuno.  Potter? Ten Hag? Martinez? 

I guess we'll know in a week or so.

23 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Is it too early to start thinking about next season’s thread title? I have some “magical” suggestions, but I don’t want to jinx it. 

I'll be honest, if this does happen, then my title is even MORE on point.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I'll be honest, if this does happen, then my title is even MORE on point.

i'll be honest, if this does happen i'm not sure how i'll feel about it. maybe two years removed from the UCL final season (which, if we recall, was fairly disappointing outside of that run) will have poch renewed. but there are still quite a few players in the squad from those days that need to be moved on as it was clear they had tuned him out by the time he was sacked.

39 minutes ago, mr. littlejeans said:

i'll be honest, if this does happen i'm not sure how i'll feel about it. maybe two years removed from the UCL final season (which, if we recall, was fairly disappointing outside of that run) will have poch renewed. but there are still quite a few players in the squad from those days that need to be moved on as it was clear they had tuned him out by the time he was sacked.

I’ll be honest, I’ll be excited if it happens.

That UCL run wasn’t the only thing that went well that season. Spurs finished 4th, and qualified for UCL the next season.

Kane was out for months, Sonny suspended and injured, Dele injured, and there was ZERO investment in the club for 18 months. Even so, Poch was getting production from Llorente and even got a hat trick from Moura in the semi’s....against the other rumored manager to join Spurs. Oh, and he was playing in Wembley too.

Poch knew investment had to be made. Pleaded with Levy for investment. He got nothing. As you say, some players need to move on. I think that has happened and will happen. 

I hope he comes back, I hope Spurs go back to a more exciting style of play. I hope they make the necessary investment.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, midtown said:

I assume Pouch returning would convince Kane to stay one more year as long as Kane also gets Levy to commit to spending.  

Pouch returning would be peak Spursy

re-hiring the manager responsible for the greatest 5-year stretch in modern club history would not be peak spursy. hiring antonio conte or roberto martinez would be peak spursy.

• Hook 'Em 1

I assume the new manager at RM will find a way to integrate Bale or are they so broke that they need to keep him on loan to offload at least part of his wages?  I assume Regs performance in the last few games will keep RM from exercising their option?

2 hours ago, midtown said:

I assume the new manager at RM will find a way to integrate Bale or are they so broke that they need to keep him on loan to offload at least part of his wages?  I assume Regs performance in the last few games will keep RM from exercising their option?

Pretty sure the bridge with Bale is well beyond burnt.

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Pretty sure the bridge with Bale is well beyond burnt.

I was explaining to my mother how this guy from Wales, who was playing in London, went down to Madrid for about 7 years and...

-played well.
-NEVER learned Spanish and so never gave interviews in Spanish. 
-NEVER adjusted to late dinners, so would skip out on team gatherings.
-NEVER picked up a check, even though he was getting paid a ton.*

No one at Real Madrid, or in Madrid, wants Gareth Bale back in the Spanish capital.

NOTE: Did not even bring up how many games he missed due to injury.

*This may be incorrect, but it sounds right. And my mother doesn't know one way or the other.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I was explaining to my mother how this guy from Wales, who was playing in London, went down to Madrid for about 7 years and...

-played well.
-NEVER learned Spanish and so never gave interviews in Spanish. 
-NEVER adjusted to late dinners, so would skip out on team gatherings.
-NEVER picked up a check, even though he was getting paid a ton.*

No one at Real Madrid, or in Madrid, wants Gareth Bale back in the Spanish capital.

NOTE: Did not even bring up how many games he missed due to injury.

*This may be incorrect, but it sounds right. And my mother doesn't know one way or the other.

He did learn Spanish per teammates. He just didn't feel comfortable giving interviews in Spanish.  The Spanish football press is effectively propaganda for Real and Barca so I'd take their reports with a grain of salt.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've never met him, so everything that I posted above was from what I've heard or read about him.

Zizou & Fans appeared to want him gone for a year or two before he finally exited stage right.

I don't think that he had an affair with his tutor, like Beckham (supposedly) did, but the merengue seemed ready to move on from the fellow.