I am the greatest lawyer ever!

Wulaw Horn

21 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Standard 2 enchiladas, taco, tamale, rice and beans. 

I'll allow it.  The addition of two items (the taco and tamal - that's the singular, by the way), as opposed to just one, makes that the "deluxe dinner."  Need more info on whether a scoop of guacamole OR a small side of queso was included.  Those are common elements that may weigh into the value of your remuneration.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

No, but a corporation or other juridical entity cannot represent itself in small claims or JP court.  It has to have a lawyer.

Nope. Rule 500.4: A corporation or other entity may: (1) be represented by an employee, owner, officer, or partner of the entity who is not an attorney; (2) be represented by a property manager or other authorized agent in an eviction case; or (3) be represented by an attorney.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- but it was Sunday night so I just figured they didn't work. I always call my agent and say- hey I bought a car- make this work for me. Perhaps there's some other way to do it- but that's what I pay them for- me not having to figure out the system- me only having someone to tell when I have an insurable event and them modifying my coverage accordingly. 

The officer should have probably understood and not cited you. Once cited, you go to the court and say "I was insured at the time of the citation", then they have to verify the coverage, and if covered, they must dismiss. No DA needed.  

16 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Nope. Rule 500.4: A corporation or other entity may: (1) be represented by an employee, owner, officer, or partner of the entity who is not an attorney; (2) be represented by a property manager or other authorized agent in an eviction case; or (3) be represented by an attorney.

The officer should have probably understood and not cited you. Once cited, you go to the court and say "I was insured at the time of the citation", then they have to verify the coverage, and if covered, they must dismiss. No DA needed.  

Yeah when I emailed the court in September and then called them to show proof of insurance they flat out refused to dismiss which I was quite frankly shocked by. Then, they acted like I pulled one over on the DA and told me “you got lucky, he’s the only one who would have done that” which surprised me too. I wonder how many people have been boned bc they didn’t pursue something like that and paid the ticket. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah when I emailed the court in September and then called them to show proof of insurance they flat out refused to dismiss which I was quite frankly shocked by. Then, they acted like I pulled one over on the DA and told me “you got lucky, he’s the only one who would have done that” which surprised me too. I wonder how many people have been boned bc they didn’t pursue something like that and paid the ticket. 

Where do you live?

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

http://www.scjc.texas.gov/

32 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Yep, I've been in more than my fair share of small claims cases on behalf of my company.

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Huffman texas. Harris county but just barely. 

Ok.  That shouldn’t have happened in TX.  Different states treat insurance differently.  You would probably do time in NY for not having a bar-coded insurance card on your person at all times and they won’t let you leave the dealership until you show them one for the vehicle you are purchasing.

• Haha 1

Oh, and further proof that I'm an idiot- I was sitting outside with the 100 people in the great unwashed and I'd been there for like 2 hours.  I went up to the bailiff and I was like- you- is the judge ever coming out- it said I was supposed to be here at 9- and he was like- not until all this gets worked out- that's what the attorneys in the other room are doing with the DA- anyone not represented by an attorney goes last. 
Me- I'm an attorney- but it's my own case- does that count?
Him- why the hell have you been waiting 2 hours- yes- let me show you back.  
He was nice but didn't understand why I was waiting with the unwashed. My answer- as it is to most things- is b/c I'm an idiot.  

This is the best thing so far. Probably the best part is not having to wait with all defendants in the hallway.

18 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

I concur.

I went to court fully prepared to ask for a jury trial, an appeal, Supreme Court, whatever, for a Failure to Maintain Safe Distance ticket.

Driving to work on 35, I had plenty of room between me and the car in front. Traffic moving 15-20 mph. I guess I left too much because of course some bitch cuts in front of me and immediately has to slam on the brakes. She hits the car in front of her, I hit her. We all pull over and dickhead gives me a ticket. "I had plenty of distance, she moved into my distance" didn't work.

Go to municipal court, prosecutor offers deferred adjudication for some reason. Hell no! I've come prepared with thirty-seven 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one. She said I could take a minute to call my lawyer.

"Hey lawyer, here's what happened, I'm ready to fight this with every fiber of my being. They offered deferred whatever because they know they'll lose. I'm a goddamn free born American and I'll buy you a cheeseburger at Crown and Anchor if you just tell me whether I should do jury trial or Judge"

"Take the deal"

"Eat shit lawyer! When did quit caring about justice?"

"Paco, you're a plumber and an idiot. Take the deal."

So I took the deal.

TLDR I'm 0-0

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2021 at 5:45 PM, clapclapclap said:

I'm shocked that the wizened wisdom of your 30-year-old grad student County Judge doesn't have the wheels of gov't running smoothly....

County judge would have literally nothing at all to do with this. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paco said:

I went to court fully prepared to ask for a jury trial, an appeal, Supreme Court, whatever, for a Failure to Maintain Safe Distance ticket.

Driving to work on 35, I had plenty of room between me and the car in front. Traffic moving 15-20 mph. I guess I left too much because of course some bitch cuts in front of me and immediately has to slam on the brakes. She hits the car in front of her, I hit her. We all pull over and dickhead gives me a ticket. "I had plenty of distance, she moved into my distance" didn't work.

Go to municipal court, prosecutor offers deferred adjudication for some reason. Hell no! I've come prepared with thirty-seven 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one. She said I could take a minute to call my lawyer.

"Hey lawyer, here's what happened, I'm ready to fight this with every fiber of my being. They offered deferred whatever because they know they'll lose. I'm a goddamn free born American and I'll buy you a cheeseburger at Crown and Anchor if you just tell me whether I should do jury trial or Judge"

"Take the deal"

"Eat shit lawyer! When did quit caring about justice?"

"Paco, you're a plumber and an idiot. Take the deal."

So I took the deal.

TLDR I'm 0-0

You chose...poorly. 
someday, if I have the time I will tell the story of my dad representing himself (when I refused to represent him) on a no seatbelt ticket where he continuously referred to himself- pointing at an empty chair as “my client” in the third person while acting as if he was a disinterested attorney instead of a crazy person representing himself. 

Go to municipal court, prosecutor offers deferred adjudication for some reason. Hell no! I've come prepared with thirty-seven 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.

Not to mention the aerial photography...