The best female singer

Sbbruin

On 7/1/2021 at 3:08 PM, shadow_operative said:

Carole King- Tapestry 

name an album by a female solo artist that can hang with this one. side note: i kinda feel like The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is my generation's Tapestry. I'll admit that it isn't 100% perfect like Tapestry, but it's damn close. Definitely a seminal album for someone born in 1984. 

It's a GREAT album.   Should be top 10 on any list, but it's because of the songwriting, not the voice.  

It's too late baby

It's just too late

Though we really did try to make it

Something inside has died 

and I can't hide it 

I just can't fake it

Just fucking WOW.   

When she passes, they should stuff her and put her in the Smithsonian.  

On 7/9/2021 at 9:20 PM, Gil Bang said:

When she passes, they should stuff her and put her in the Smithsonian.  

Or maybe post her portrait, perhaps elegantly woven into some sort of fabric hanging or something.

A quilt? Drapery? No... that's not right... Right on the tip of my tongue- I'm sure it'll come to me. I'll keep working on it and get back to you

On 7/12/2021 at 1:35 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I dig that -- back story?

Honestly I know little about her (which qualifies her as best female singer evar, along with the others I posted whom are also the best evar). I just remembered I really dug her voice and this being a super catchy tune that played over the end credits of Drowning Mona. I believe this was orignally attributed to a band called 16 Tons (tho I could be wrong on that) and eventually became posted on the intertrons under Amy Milan. 

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Holy shit I just realized that Paula Cole was touring with Peter Gabriel on his Secret World tour - that's her at 1:16-ish and 6:45.  I don't know how the fuck I ever missed that, given that I've listened to a lot his live stuff.

Yup.  A friend of mine roomed with Paula in Boston (Berklee).  She was extremely jealous of Paula for landing that tour.  Let's just say my friend never got close to Paula's level of success.  (Honestly, I thought she was better than Paula, but there's a lot more to it than that.)

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yup.  A friend of mine roomed with Paula in Boston (Berklee).  She was extremely jealous of Paula for landing that tour.  Let's just say my friend never got close to Paula's level of success.  (Honestly, I thought she was better than Paula, but there's a lot more to it than that.)

I went and looked up an interview with Paula, and she said she got hired and immediately was thrown into the tour, and basically had 3-4 days to learn everything before they filmed it for the concert video I posted up there.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

His bands are always spectacular.  Tony Levin anchoring everything on bass doesn't hurt, but that drummer . . . yeesh. 

I really need to go see him if he tours again.

His website says they don't have any tours currently planned, which sucks.  I really want to see him before he hangs it up, but he's 71, Tony Levin is 75, so...

• 3 months later...
On 7/24/2021 at 3:08 PM, washparkhorn said:

For your consideration, Ellie Roswell of Wolf Alice:

Saw them at Bowery Ballroom last week.  Tremendous and not only can she sing but she's crazy hot and a damn good entertainer.

I've had a very long affinity for female led bands.

48 minutes ago, Bull Horn said:

Would add Etta James to any list of best female singers - such power and soul.

She's on the initial top 10 list. There are voices that come every few generations, and she was one of them.  There was a golden age in the late 40's into the 50's when actual singing was prized, and music was written to make vocals stand out.

• Like 1

If people will pay that, good for her, I guess.  I find it interesting that in the modern era of relatively affordable surround sound rigs and excellent big screen TVs that artists can pull that kind of bank, but so be it.

I mean, I go to VERY few sporting events any more, especially since my season tickets to UT football magically disappeared after the 2005 season.  Baseball?  Sure.  Post-covid basketball, yeah, if we ever get there.  Otherwise, I'm watching in the comfort of my home.