The best female singer

Sbbruin

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Not sure if this belongs here or on the perfect songs thread.

She was so smoking hot in a late '60s/ early '70s in Laurel Canyon kind of way.

She and Michelle Phillips could tell anyone to do anything that they wanted back then. (Michelle did, but if Linda didn't, she could have. My god!)

12 hours ago, pops said:

Some of Pink's newer stuff slams. Alanis' new record is really good. Adele has fucking pipes. Regina spektor is quirky but really good. Phoebe bridgers is hauntingly good. Niki Lane is a badass. Winehouse was one of a kind. 

I'd rather listen to all of them over Stevie nicks. 

Butch Walker is behind a lot of Pink and Alanis' these days.  Dude works magic and can write a fucking pop song and puts on a by god Rock Show when he plays live.  

• Like 1

Karen Carpenter is like the female Merle Haggard imo. Not much range to speak of, but a complete and total master of the range she does have. She had a tonal quality that was able to effortlessly lament in that sincere way that never gets tiring. She has Billie Holiday's believability without the fatigue you feel after 3 songs. She's in the top 5.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 5/30/2021 at 11:11 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

More Joni. Live from the album Miles of Aisles from 1974. I bought this CD and listened to it for the first time on my way to my sister’s place for Christmas sometime back. I got lost in it and missed the exit and had to turn around, only to find out that there wasn’t an exit in the opposite direction so I had to turn around at the next exit and come back.

The scene in Love Actually when Emma Thompson realizes Alan Rickman is having an affair is chilling with this song in the background.  Gets me every time.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Lot of posts on this thread not to have Alison Krauss yet.  

Here's her and my favorite Rock God singing one of my favorite John Prine songs...

Prine covered it as well.  Written by Rowland Salley who was/is Chris Isaak's bass player.  

Damn....someone posted a version of the original, released around 87/88.  

Edited by hullabelew

2 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Prine covered it as well.  Written by Rowland Salley who was/is Chris Isaak's bass player.  

Damn....someone posted a version of the original, released around 87/88.  

Damn, didn't realize that.  Either way, it was a helluva cover and not only showed how incredible Krauss' voice is, but reminded you how truly incredible Plant's voice is, even at this stage in life.  

22 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

That song was really brought to life when Shawn Colvin did her incredible Cover Girl album. 

I was introduced to her by The Larry Sanders Show. A fake late night talk show that had some good real musical guests.

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Like 1

I like most everybody mentioned previously. When I hear Norah Jones sing I don't know whether to be horny or sleepy, kind of like when the old lady wants sexy time.  Stevie Nicks is great, but wouldn't be in my top 10. Best female vocal performance of all time is pre-cocaine Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You". My personal #1 is Robert Plant's current squeeze, Patty Griffin.

22 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Unless they got back together, they haven't been a thing for years.

On why they split up, Plant said something about she didn't share his penchant for cider and then something about the Black Country character he was after he had 4 pints.  

On 6/25/2021 at 1:14 PM, noharleyyet said:

I sorta like the many forms of Jennifer Nettles (I know, bra country)...not GOAT status but still...and Patsy Cline should be honorably mentioned. 

Patsy Cline was a voice for the ages. She's in my top 4 all time great female vocalist.  I believe she was the first country music artist to sing at Carnegie Hall (I think).  And she was a chick who could throw back a beer, and hang with the boys all day.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

Carole King- Tapestry 

name an album by a female solo artist that can hang with this one. side note: i kinda feel like The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is my generation's Tapestry. I'll admit that it isn't 100% perfect like Tapestry, but it's damn close. Definitely a seminal album for someone born in 1984. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

this thread sent me and Alexa down an ear-wormhole (earhole?? 😄)...

Adele is hard to top...

but Linda is QUEEN.

holy shit. like, i knew her songs from my childhood, but i couldn't even guess when the last time i heard Blue Bayou. incredible. and she has a whole catalog of Spanish songs that are amazing vocally that i didn't know at all!

On 7/1/2021 at 5:17 PM, washparkhorn said:

A lesser luminary in this hall of greats, but Jewell's voice is quite pleasant to my Western United States ears:

One of the great haikus of all time....from a predecessor of this site.

Would not kiss my mouth
Disgusted by my choppers
Came on my big jugs.

• Fuck You 1

The list is incomplete without consideration of :

K.D. Lang      -- huge, incomparable talent

Bjork (big voice, underrated songwriter/composer who writes for entire orchestra)

to a lesser extent but still amazing natural talent: Sinead O'Connor

none of these ladies are really eclipsed by Stevie Nicks. 

4 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

The list is incomplete without consideration of :

K.D. Lang      -- huge, incomparable talent

Bjork (big voice, underrated songwriter/composer who writes for entire orchestra)

to a lesser extent but still amazing natural talent: Sinead O'Connor

none of these ladies are really eclipsed by Stevie Nicks. 

Bjork huh ...  her voice is interesting for sure, but great ?  Not sure about your police work there Lou.

On 7/8/2021 at 1:49 AM, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

none of these ladies are really eclipsed by Stevie Nicks

The two you just mentioned are. Bjork shrieking doesn’t qualify as “range.”

Lang was funny on The Larry Sanders Show, though. (Warning: One F-bomb so technically NSFW.)

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The two you just mentioned are. Bjork shrieking doesn’t qualify as “range.”

Lang was funny on The Larry Sanders Show, though. (Warning: One F-bomb so technically NSFW.)

Empirically, that is not shrieking.  

Anyway here's one w/lovely vocals if you need more calm. 

I actually like Stevie....point remains there are many others as good